Start by marking “Stella Stands Alone” as Want to Read:
Stella Stands Alone

Stella Stands Alone

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Stella Reid is fighting to save the home she loves. After her father is killed and her mother succumbs to yellow fever, it's up to Stella to run Oak Grove, her family's plantation. Unlike most Southerners, Stella sees herself as equal to the African Americans she works side-by-side with in the cotton fields. The white Southerners reject her, and the freed men can't trust h ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published April 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Stella Stands Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella Stands Alone

Taking place post-Civil War, this book is the story of Stella Reid and her fight to maintain her family's plantation for herself and for the people who have worked on it for generations. It was her father's dream before dying to deed the land to those who worked on it, but Stella struggles to figure out where he could have left the documents that are so vital to saving the plantation before it goes up for auction. Will she be able to pull through on her and her father's promise to the workers de ...more
Matthew Winner
NO for black-eyed susan.
NO for our library.

Let's get a couple things out in the open to begin with. First, I'm a slow reader. I hope that one day reading book after book will make me a faster reader, but for now it is what it is. Second, I try my hardest to put myself in the position of my students when reading books for our library, determinedly considering "How long would I stick with this story before putting it down?"

Stella Stands Alone has gotten a great deal of positive attention. A. LaFay
There is nothing in this livelong world that I hate more than a dishonest historical novel. I mean it. Thumbtack the words "dishonest historical novel" to a dartboard and watch my aim fly true. I'm sure you know the kind I mean. There are tons of books out there in which a hero or heroine feels strongly about some historical injustice without any rhyme or reason aside from garnering the sympathy of the contemporary reader. Phooey, sayeth I. That is revisionist history and I shall have none of it ...more
I did not complete the book. I may resume reading it in future, but I will make a comment at this time.

I believe the intent of the story simply becomes stalled by the effect of the language here. These stereotypical speech patterns are in every sentence the character speaks or thinks. The speech of the main character Stella is so stereotyped that I find it unreadable. Mississippians do not speak this way today nor did they yesterday. Characters on comedy television shows such as The Beverly Hil
Aug 01, 2011 Jennie added it
Age: YA

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Diversity: Race/ethnicity, income, gender

Illustrations: None

Personal Response: While I enjoyed this story and categorized it as realistic fiction, I'm not sure that the main character is very realistic. The situations she finds herself in and the prevailing attitudes of the post-Civil War south towards both African Americans and Northeners do seem very believable.

Curriculum: This would be a great book to use as supplemental or required reading in a class unit about
If Southerners had played by different rules.... Stella is only 12, orphaned, and trying to run the plantation by treating the slaves as her friends. A greedy neighbor and a dishonest banker try to take it all away and send Stella packing to a distant aunt. Stella has different plans and they don't include leaving her home.
Mar 18, 2009 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dawn, Rose, Tracey, Karyn--everyone!
Remarkable for voice (had me talkin' Southern for days), characterization, and historical interest. I don't know if there really were any utopian plantations like Stella's, but there should have been! Strong and vivid with some unexpected twists--the best book I've read so far this year.
really disliked this book. I didn't care a fig for the characters and the narrative was boring. I read the first 50 pages and then skimmed the rest of the book.
BK Rivers
Truly the first 100 pages of this book were hard to get in to, but the final 150 or so were great. I enjoyed the book overall and would love to reccommend it.
Shauna Elias
Although I enjoyed this alternate history I think that the voice of the book will be difficult to read by the age group for which it is written.
this one my favorite books
Hannah Streett
Hannah Streett marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Niloufar marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Kellee marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Rachael Wenzel
Rachael Wenzel marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Joy Sparks
Joy Sparks marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Cierra marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014