Start by marking “Georgië: stemmen uit de Kaukasus” as Want to Read:
Georgië: stemmen uit de Kaukasus
Preview

Georgië: stemmen uit de Kaukasus

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Wendell Steavenson, een journalist van Amerikaanse komaf, werd verliefd op de eeuwenoude, exuberante cultuur van de voormalige sovjetrepubliek Georgië. Ze bereisde het land vanaf de vervallen badplaatsen van de voormalige Russische elite aan de Zwarte Zee tot aan het riskante gebied dat aan Tsjetsjenië grenst. Ze tekende de verhalen op van soldaten, boeren, hoeren en fanta ...more
Published 2003 by De Arbeiderspers (first published July 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Georgië, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgië

BoekenTrol
May 18, 2008 BoekenTrol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with an interest in Georgia
Shelves: stories-of-life
This book brought back all memories that have been lingering in my mind since I left Georgia, now more than 10 years ago. It could have ben me, writing the book, since a lot of what Steavenson writes about, also happened to me.
I read it, re-read it and wondered (hind sight!!) how I ever survived 2 years in the capital of the country without hot water or washing maschine, with electricity put on rations, without an elevator to lift me to the 9th floor with all my kilos of potatoes, onions, carro
Sean Carman
The following review originally appeared on The Rumpus as a "Last Book I Loved" piece:

The Last Book I Loved: Stories I Stole, by Wendell Steavenson

Wendell Steavenson’s memoir of her time as a freelance foreign correspondent in Tblisi, Georgia, begins in her former Time Magazine office, where she and her friend Nina spin escape fantasies under the world map tacked above their desks. Nina has stuck her pin in Pamplona. Steavenson has chosen Tblisi, capital of the former Soviet Republic of Georgia.
Stuart
Another jewel of a book proving to me that process is more valuable than product. Steavenson spent 2 years in Tbilisi, capital of Georgia. She was nominally a free-lancer writing about the craziness of living that followed independence there, (and that continues as Abkhasia and other ethnic enclaves wriggle furiously for their own independence).

She chronicles the disparities of modern cities without infrastructure, the mountain villages that remain true (kinda) to tradition, and the inexplicabl
Denice
I almost did my Peace Corps service in Georgia and had been very curious about the Caucaucus after passing it up. This is a great window into that world.
Daisy
Although hers was my favorite story in Wild East: Stories from the Last Frontier, I'm a little lost in this. Maybe if I'd read it all in one go, it'd be different. I have so much to learn about this part of the world. I'll read this again one day.

Shalva was proud of his war but intelligent enough to realize that there was no way to defend it.

...

Lela gave me a half-smile, "I know. It's ridiculous. I am harboring a fugitive drug addict with a bullet hole in
Michael
Feb 29, 2008 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone thinking about traveling to Georgia, adventurous travelers
Recommended to Michael by: Tricia
I read this book just before departing for a 3-week trip to the Republic of Georgia in the summer of 2007. It's awesome and quite unlike anything I've read before.

Much has changed about Georgia since the book was written - but much also has not. For example, Georgia is now run by a staunchly pro-Western government which came into power in 2003 (touched on at the very end of the book), but some Georgians say this administration is as corrupt as Shevardnadze's, and Tbilisi still has occasional pow
elizabeth
After living with a Georgian, and experiencing (at least on some level) the beauty that is Georgian culture, I had great expectations for this book. On the positive side, it has an expansive bibliography and suggested reading list, which should be useful to any student of the region. I also enjoyed reading a female writer, a rarity in Caucasian literature. I was a bit disappointed by the stylistic merits of the book - the storytelling seems mediocre when compared with the cultural and historic r ...more
Michael  Malone
Very intriguing look at the republic of Georgia finding its way, or, more often, not, after the breakup of the Soviet Union. No heat, no electricity, just lots of vodka...Steavenson is fearless and endlessly curious. One might skim over the bits detailed internecine political battles in Tbilisi, but the book is most compelling when she shares some of her personal life, such as having her heart broken by a photographer in her circle of foreign correspondents. Informative and fun.
Susan
Interesting memoire of exploits and peculiarities of a quasi-journalistic life in emerging eastern European countries. Wendell Steavenson has a wry, amusing, sometimes cynical voice and shares some hilarious and some poignant experiences among colleagues and friends.
Maria Gambale
Messy, with a few excellent stories. Inexplicably self-involved. I'd be curious if any other readers were interested in her love life interludes. The ending was nothing short of an ego splurge.
John
I just didn't enjoy this book. It was well written and informative, but not entertaining, kind of like a text book. It conveys a lot of information, but I wouldn't pick it up just to read it.
Aaron
Apr 10, 2009 Aaron rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron by: Nik Steinberg
Mixing truth and reality. She really did steal the stories, but the book was well done. I would have liked it less if I had been in Georgia first when I read it
Rebekah
Alternately heartbreaking and hilarious. Highly recommended to anyone traveling to and writing about the Caucasus, or just traveling and writing in general.
Yana2205
Life in Georgia before the Rose Revolution as viewed by an outsider. But why has she no interest in Russia? Seems a bit biased. But it reads well.
Jarrod
Good insight to Georgia pre-rose revolution. Good insight to the culture. Made me feel like I was back in Georgia, just with more English
Fizza
interesting read.. disjointed narrative which seems a bit out of place for a travelogue
Charley
A gem of a book, I really enjoyed these stories and laughed my head off about life in Georgia.
Ben
Ben added it
Apr 21, 2015
Heather Randell
Heather Randell marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Kety
Kety marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Ameto
Ameto marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rebecca Howard
Rebecca Howard marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Street Without a Name: Childhood and Other Misadventures in Bulgaria
  • Solomon Time: Adventures in the South Pacific
  • The Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La
  • My Fathers' Daughter
  • This Quiet Dust: And Other Writings
  • Lost Paradise: From Mutiny on the Bounty to a Modern-Day Legacy of Sexual Mayhem, the Dark Secrets of Pitcairn Island Revealed
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Over a Thousand Hills I Walk with You
  • In the Rose Garden of the Martyrs: A Memoir of Iran
  • Koba the Dread: Laughter and the Twenty Million
  • Commando: A Boer Journal Of The Boer War
  • Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria
  • Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children
  • Apples Are from Kazakhstan: The Land That Disappeared
  • Through Siberia by Accident
  • Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slavery
  • Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey Into the Evangelical Subculture in America
  • Socialism: Past and Future
The Weight of a Mustard Seed: An Iraqi General's Moral Journey During the Time of Saddam Magnum Photos: Georgian Spring A Magnum Journal Circling the Square: Stories from the Egyptian Revolution Granta 111: Going Back