Start by marking “Rise and Shine” as Want to Read:
Rise and Shine

Anna Quindlen

Rise and Shine

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  8,033 ratings  ·  1,073 reviews
Two little words; that's all that's necessary to plunge Meghan Fitzmaurice into a major career disaster and life crisis. A pair of verboten words spoken impulsively into an open mike not only costs the morning-talk show star her job; it destabilizes her relationships and her sense of self-esteem. The effects of this personal earthquake extend even to Meghan's sister Bridge ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Rise and Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise and Shine

Michele
Sad Plunge into Mediocrity

I have a very strong belief that if this were a first novel by an unknown author, it would have never seen print. The story is all premise, and the promise of a novel about sisters-- one a celebrity morning talk show host the other an obscure social worker--weathering an enormous crisis, doesn't comes to fruition. This so-called crisis (at least the situation that prevails through most of the book), while titillating and tabloid, is ultimately pitiful. And finally, what
Jenny
This is quite possibly one of the worst books I've read recently. I enjoyed Black & Blue back when it was an Oprah book but this is just . . . ugh. It doesn't have characters, it has cliché after cliché. Hard career woman, perfect teen, sassy wise black women, bleeding heart social workers, crusty old cops . . . the list goes on and none of them are particularly likeable or interesting. And the "incident" that sets everything into motion was laughable.

By the end I didn't care what happened
A celebrated television personality's fall from grace told from the point of view of her adoring younger sister. The story firmly held my interest, a page turner to be sure. Unlike most novels I read, I was not enamored with either of the central characters, it was their co-stars who struck my fancy. Though the plot earns a sold four stars, at times, Quindlen's writing is surprisingly discombobulated. On numerous occasions a passage required a second or third reading in order for me to grasp the ...more
Carol
I kept reading the book, hoping it would redeem itself, but alas, it only got worse.

The two main characters were selfish, juvenile, and in serious need of therapy. I was aghast at the self-serving older sister, who took and took, and was just a horrible person, yet everyone in the book excused her for one reason or another (well, except her ex-husband who I thought was the only one w/any sense).

Two things really baffled me: the name of the shelter were the younger sister worked (Women on Women -
Teresa
Anna Quindlen writes this novel more as if she has a point to make than a story to tell. She manages to stretch the significance of a Janet-Jackson-Superbowl-esque incident far beyond its viability, all the while bashing us over the head with the ideas that our collective morality is purely for show, that rich people spend way too much time and money on dumb crap and that Manhattan society is... wait for it... mostly frivolous.

I'm not sure why she thinks she has anything new to contribute to the
Lynettebachand
I did enjoy a lot about the book, but two things irritated me. One was the author's wierd obsession with all things opulent, and the other was her continual holier-than-thou attitude about New York City. I had to wonder: was she scoffing at the lavish lifestyles as the main character did, or was this not a secret envy of those who can and do live this way? And secondly I wondered: Are all of us dummies who don't live in the Big Apple delegated to second rate comparitively?

Other than those two t
Beth
I listened to this on tape and found myself sitting outside Nugget Grocery just to hear what would happen next. Anna Quindlen is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and also writes excellent fiction that was excellently read. Rise and Shine is the story of two sisters, Meghan who is a national figure who hosts a morning TV show and her sister, Bridget, who is a social worker in the projects. Both lost their parents when Meghan was 8 and Briget was 4 and their relationship is greatly influenced b ...more
Cindy
I had never read anything by Anna Quindlen before, but had heard good things about her books. When I saw this at the library, I snatched it up, hoping for a really good story.

What I got was something middle-of-the-road. The story was somewhat formulaic - two sisters, one is hugely famous, the other more anonymous. A mild "tragedy" occurs, and the famous sister runs away from the problem to reflect on her situation. Another greater tragedy occurs to bring her back from hiding.

Frankly, I was a bi
mandy
not a great book. i didn't get the story line. and the way the narrator felt/talked about her nephew really made me feel dirty. way more than parental feelings going on there. and she spent the entire novel talking down about how rich, entitled new yorkers act, but the whole time she was doing the same thing. definitely not one i would recommend to anyone. only would tell ppl who think new york is the best thing since sliced bread to read this. and i have no feelings about new york, since i've n ...more
Jean
I usually like Anna Quindlen's work, but it took everything I had not to abandon this book in the middle. I kept thinking it would get better. It didn't. The story is about two sisters, one rich and famous and the other a social worker who seems to have a hard time figuring out her life. Maybe it felt episodic because I was listening to it on CD, but I just couldn't find the rhythm of the story. And I felt like the author was trying too hard to get me to like the characters. Oh, well. Maybe next ...more
Quinten
A page turner, but suffers from a lack of imagination. It was interesting to see Quindlen's world of NYC poverty. The black characters are barely realized sketches with stereotypical dialogue. The poverty, while clearly well researched, doesn't seem to motivate any of the characters in an especially realistic way.

The central conflict in the book is also not especially well resolved. Perhaps this is realism, but I call it "nothing happens." The writing is also muddled-I found myself having to re-
Jeannie
I would have given up on it if it hadn't been my only book on vacation (while exercising extreme restraint and not stealing the books of others), and I would have said don't waste your time for the first half or so. Then I got drawn in. Still, though. Eh.
Jean
I've always liked Quindlen's columns in Newsweek, but as a novelist, she is awesome. Great character development, great plot, satisfying conclusion. It's funny, sad, interesting, educational -- I couldn't put it down.
megan
Was pleasantly surprised with this book--it was not as melodramatic as I expected and was a lot more, for lack of a better word, gritty. The story essentially revolves around two sisters and their relationship with each other and the dichotomies in their personalities. One sister, Meghan, is an morning talk show host who (I think) is meant to resemble Katie Couric. She has a SNAFU on air--which the author reveals to be symptomatic of larger personal issues. The other sister works as a Social Wor ...more
Amy (amyb2332)
I think if I had read the book instead of listening to the audio version I might have given this 3 stars instead of 2. I don't know though, that's a big maybe. I didn't love the narrator - she would try to do these different voices but they all just sounded the same or really stupid. But even with not loving the narrator, I'm not sure I would have liked this book much.

I don't mind little flashbacks in the beginning or middle of a book, but by the end I just want you to get on with the story! I
Suzanne Auckerman
The main character in Rise and Shine, Bridget, is interesting. I enjoyed the parts about her job in the Bronx a lot. I also liked her assistant, Tequila. The parts of the book when Bridget was dealing with work, her romantic relationship or her surrogate mother role to her nephew, Leo, were good reading.

The novel revolves, however, around Bridget's famous sister, Meghan. I was never convinced that Meghan's on-air mistake would be as huge a deal as it is written to be. Meghan also was underdevel
Martha Reynolds
One of my favorite authors. It took me a long time to finish this book, but not because I disliked it. Quindlen's writing is exquisite, and I savored this story all the way to the end. Other reviews capsulize the plot, so I won't. She is simply brilliant.
Sarah Null
My feelings on this book, like the writing itself, are mixed. The plot itself was kind of a bore to me (Meghan Fitzmaurice is sort of a Katie Couric kind of a character, and I can't stand Katie Couric, so I really didn't care about Meghan Fitzmaurice) and I didn't agree with much of the narrator (Meghan's sister)'s worldview, but I really enjoyed the descriptions about life in New York City. Some of the narration was uneven, jumping from musing to present day to flashback without smooth transiti ...more
Lynn Pribus
Not Quindlen's most compelling book, but entertaining enough. She's good at delineating prickly relationships, in this case between two sisters. Story is told from younger sister's POV and her never-can-live-up-to second-child characteristics are strong. I surely remember this sort of thing between my husband and his younger brother.

The younger sister (now in her 40s)gradually emerges and the relationships are all tidily wrapped up in an epilogue. Maybe a bit TOO tidily, but nice to see people h
Russell Bittner
Is it pure coincidence that I just finished reading Anna Quindlen’s Rise and Shine on the heels of Jack London’s Martin Eden? And would I expect Quindlen’s principal character, Meghan Fitzmaurice, to meet the same unhappy conclusion that London’s principal character, Martin Eden, inevitably met – given that their two trajectories on the booster fuel of fame and fortune are uncannily similar?

I don’t know. You tell me. In any case, one has to wonder whether life along the Museum Mile – or the equ
Cathy Hodge
I was charmed by the story. My favorite characteristic of this book is the witty descriptions. The dialogue is fun as well. The plot tugged at my heart.
Hayley Stilson
This book was disappointing because there was potential for a very intriguing story, but instead it was rather cliche and predictable. I liked the descriptions of New York City and the different perspectives provided by each sister. There is a such a divide between the lifestyles of different groups of people in New York City and Quindlen did a good job demonstrating this difference, as well as the relationships between the groups. Meghan and Bridget were fairly relatable characters, but their s ...more
Lynn
Although I didn't think it was as good as other books by Anna Quindlen, I thought it was a 'goodread'. An interesting premise and as an ex-New Yorker, I enjoyed a visit back to the 'hood!
The plot twists kept it intersting at the end, although I did find some of the story a bit much!
Quindlen could have tightened up the story a bit, but she did have a story to tell and I wasn't disappointed just not as wowed as I have been on her other books.
Katie
Meghan Fitzmaurice is everything any woman in American wants to be. She's beautiful, has a loving marriage, and has a perfect son. Every morning, she hosts the television show Rise and Shine viewed by virtually everyone. Her sister, Bridget, however, is much her opposite. She's a social worker, unmarried (though dating a police officer), and childless at age 43. Bridget feels hidden in her sister's shadow, and more or less content with obscurity. But then, one day, Meghan loses her temper on air ...more
Jenna
I would have to agree with other reviewers that for all of its shortcomings, this is a pretty harmless effort hovering in the margins of chick-lit. These kinds of books are my substitute for mindless television, when I'm bereft of more substantial reading choices and burnt out from too many eye-crossing tv sessions on the couch. Really more blah than bad, I just couldn't bring myself to give it any stars at all.
Mary Beth
After some of the horrible reviews, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read Rise and Shine. However, I enjoyed the discussion of why Bridget loves living in NYC, and there was some emotional impact to the story. I definitely cried over the last sixty pages or so. So, this wasn't the best book I've ever read, but the relationship between the two sisters was interesting, if a little cliche.
Kathleen Hulser
Sisters, close and clashing with contrasting lives in the city. One does TV celebrity interviews, bustling with brains and efficiency;, the other gropes towards some purpose in life, perhaps running a charity for homeless women. Quindlen is fun and easy to read, but that ease in the long run constitutes her limitation as a writer. Too often the author settles for the quick insight, the surface shrug of analysis that assumes people are really not too deep, not too complicated. The plot resolution ...more
Rainey Stricklin
This is the first book I've read by Anna Quindlen, and I'm a little unsure about how I feel about her style. It was an easy read, and well written, but I just couldn't quite buy into it. I realize it is fiction, but everything just seemed to come too easy. Meghan is the wealthy tv star and I felt like she wanted to counter that by having Bridget be the working-for-the-people social worker. That would have made a nice contrast if Bridget didn't live like she was wealthy - expensive restaurants, f ...more
Diane
I just started this and the first 5-10 pages are interesting enough but after that (I'm on pg 40) it is s-l-o-w. Kind of surprising to me-I've never read anna quindlen and personally it's not doing a lot for me. All I can think is "wow, is she overrated." so far, a lot of words that say nothing.
Heather
Quindlen's book follows the lives of sisters, Meghan-morning news show anchor, and Bridget-a social worker in the projects. The sisters were orphaned at a young age so count on one another and have a very close relationship. Meghan is married to a successful financier husband and has a son Leo, at Columbia. She is catered to, lives a lavish NYC lifestyle and is always in control.
Bridget is mid 40's, gets by, is a spinster with a much older cop boyfriend, and is dedicated to her work at a Women's
Who was Meghan kissing in Jamaica? 2 21 Jun 23, 2013 12:29PM
  • The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters
  • The Book Club
  • The Kept Man
  • Digging to America
Anna Quindlen is an American journalist and opinion columnist whose New York Times column, Public and Private, won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 1992.

She began her journalism career in 1974 as a reporter with The New York Post. Between 1977 and 1994 she held several posts at the New York Times. She left journalism in 1995 to become a full-time novelist. She currently writes a bi-weekly colu
More about Anna Quindlen...
Black and Blue One True Thing Every Last One Still Life with Bread Crumbs Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

“I have a cat, the pet that ranks just above a throw pillow in terms of required responsibility.” 17 likes
“Nearly everyone I meet expresses deep sympathy about the fact that I have never married. Sometimes I wonder why.” 1 likes