Start by marking “Like Clockwork” as Want to Read:
Like Clockwork

Like Clockwork (Clare Hart #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When a beautiful young woman is found murdered on Cape Town's Seapoint promenade, journalist and part-time police profiler Dr Clare Hart is drawn into the web of a brutal serial killer. As more bodies are discovered, Clare is forced to re-visit memories of the brutal rape of her twin sister and the gang ties that bind Cape Town's crime rings. Is her investigation into huma ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Oshun Books

To ask other readers questions about Like Clockwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like Clockwork

Julie
Like Clockwork by Margie Orford – A Clare Hart Mystery is a 2014 Witness Impulse publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

As Clare continues work on her documentary on human trafficking, a girl is found murdered right outside her own apartment building in Cape Town. Detective Reidwaan Faizal can think of no one better than Dr. Clare Hart to work up a profile on whoever is killing these girls. It soon becomes apparent there i
Tammy Hall
This was my first book by author Margie Orford and I was not sure exactly what to expect. I was a little clueless as to the the fact that this book was part of an on going series. I discovered this when I realized that the two main characters Dr. Clare Hart and Detective Reidwaan Faizal have an on going relationship of sorts. I did however find the mystery to be very exciting and captivating. Make no mistake this book is not for the faint of heart mystery readers it is very dark and takes you to ...more
Literati Literature Lovers
~Robbie's Review~ 4.5
In Margie Orford's latest offering Like Clockwork, the bodies are turning up at regular intervals just like clockwork. The female protagonist is Dr. Clare Hart, a journalist currently working on a documentary, but when the mutilated corpse of a young girl is discovered right outside her apartment, she gets pulled into the case by Inspector Riedwaan Faizal who trusts her ability as a profiler.
She was brilliant and obsessive but difficult to work with. She didn't like teams, s
Jayne Bauling
Young girls are being horrifically murdered and mutilated in Cape Town. Who is responsible?

This books races along, full of incident. Clever plotting, real characters who are absolutely believable, whether flawed and vulnerable or unspeakably evil. A pulsating climax as profiler Clare Hart races against time to try and save the next potential victim.

Crime fiction at its best.
Laura Barcenas
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Dr. Clare Hart is a journalist and part time profiler. She is currently working on an investigation piece on human trafficking. When a woman is found murdered, the police ask for her assistance in finding the killer. For Clare it means revisiting things in her past she would rather forget. Things start happening that make Clare think her investigation could be linked to the murder. Is there a killer playing a sick games with Clare ...more
Bill Mackela
This is not an easy book to read. There are a lot of disturbing passages describing violence upon women. It's not that Ms. Orford is subjecting you to extremely graphic descriptions, it is more that the characters so easily slough off the events as though they are commonplace, everyday occurrences. This is what is so disturbing. The matter-of-fact way that violence to women is portrayed tended to upset me and then I had to put the book down for a bit. The whole gritty portrayal of South Africa w ...more
Natasha B
Like Clockwork is Margie OrfQuote1ord’s debut novel and all I can say is WOW! I was engaged from the very first sentence where the scene is set and you immediately get a feel for what’s to come.

Like Clockwork is set in the beautiful coastal city of Cape Town with a lot of the exciting things happening in and around the Sea Point and Waterfront areas. Orford describes these areas so vividly that even if you haven’t been there in the last few years, you would still be able to imagine its beauty. A
Victoria Colotta
The first book in the Clare Hart mystery series is one to remember. Dr Clare Hart is brought in when a serial killer is brutally targeting young women. Set in Cape Town, Claire comes across a few unsavory characters that truly made my skin crawl. They are perverts, womanizers, and abusers. One of which turns out to be the killer that Dr. Hart is hunting for.

Like Clockwork

Because of what happened to her twin sister, she has a personal link to this type of brutality and is compelled to delve furth
S.A. Partridge
Margie Orford's Like Clockwork is a gritty crime novel set in the Cape Town most tourists don't get to see: the underground.

A serial killer is murdering young girls and arranging their bodies publicly in grotesque poses meant to shock. The police call on the expertise of part-time profiler and journalist Dr Clare Hart, but she's already way ahead of them, and is about to crack the lid on a human trafficking ring that could be the answer to the whole mystery.

The book is structured like a cat and
Karen
Margie Orford lists, among many other activities, that she does Advocacy work for a Rape Crisis group in South Africa, so it's not very surprising LIKE CLOCKWORK looks very closely at the horrific consequences of rape and extreme violence against women. Because of that there's nothing particularly easy about reading this book, but it definitely fulfils one of my major preferences in crime fiction - which is to inform the reader. No matter how uncomfortable that information can sometimes be.

Dr Cl
Tessa
This book was a tough read - emotionally. Set in Cape Town, it is the beginning of the Clare Hart series. Dr. Clare Hart is preparing a documentary on sex trafficking. She is also brought in to aid a police investigation of an unusual murder that is suspected to be done by a serial murderer. The two end up weaving together.

If you think Cape Town is all beauty, read this book. Like many cities, it has its own battle with crime. This mystery series helps readers see more deeply beyond the tourist
Kim
This was a story about a female profiler from South Africa who is investigating serial killings of women who are being held in human trafficking. It was a new author for me and it was a pretty good storyline. The book was also $2.99. It was parr of impulse witness series which I have been reading a lot of lately.
Elena Schmid torre
The book is actually #2 in the series. The writing has gotten better this time around and it is still a fast-paced read. I found the relationship between the two main characters confusing as much of it was left-out, hopefully that gets explained later...
Margaret
Grim reading & uninvolving. I thought the Cape Town setting would be more interesting - mostly because of its unfamiliarity to me but this could have been set anywhere with a harbour. Lots of violence against women & girls; & not just by those perpetrating the murders being investigated - it might be an accurate reflection of the city but it just makes for a very unpleasant read.
1.5 stars rounded up to 2 - mostly in hopes that the second 1 I've already checked out of the library is a
Rowena Daniells
I heard Margie speak at the SheKilda crime writers conference and was inspired by her passion to reveal the injustices of her South African home. So I bought this book and Blood Rose. I've read both the books in a matter of days.

The writing is smooth and vivid. The plotting is tight and the location (for me) is exotic and different. Well done, Margie!
Sonja
Started it, then gave up, as I thought the main investigator will be a journalist and i didn't like that. But after I read some of the reviews of other readers and found out about the author, I couldn't put it down. Ready for the next one.
Mikedt
Very interesting main character Detective Clare Hart. Liked the setting in Cape Town and the author's knowledge of its nooks and crannies.
Mark
Recommended to me by an enthusiastic Exclusive Books assistant, this is an entertaining crime story that never rises to any great heights.
Adelina
Um romance policial sobre um assunto atual, o tráfico de mulheres. Empresto ou troco a versão espanhola a quem quiser.
Debbie Ann
I liked this better than Daddy's Girl. Picked it up and didn't put it down, except to sleep.
Great read - will definitely try and find the rest
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Victoriakor
Victoriakor marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Anna Öqvist
Anna Öqvist marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • The Unlikely Secret Agent
  • The Steam Pig
  • Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel, #1)
  • Mixed Blood: A Thriller
  • Lonely Graves (Pieter Posthumus Trilogy, #1)
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • The Mall (Downside, #1)
  • The Blood Whisperer
  • Looking on Darkness
  • Thirteen Cents
  • The King's Evil (Christopher Redmayne, #1)
  • After the Silence (Amsterdam Quartet, #1)
  • Portrait with Keys: The City of Johannesburg Unlocked
  • Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #1)
  • Through the Cracks
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • Blessed Are the Dead  (Detective Emmanuel Cooper #3)
Margie Orford is a journalist, film director and author of children’s fiction, non-fiction and school text books.

She was born in London and grew up in Namibia and South Africa, studying at UCT where she wrote her final exams in prison while detained during the State of Emergency. After travelling widely, she did an honours degree at UCT, then worked in publishing in the newly-independent Namibia,
More about Margie Orford...

Clare Hart (5 books)
  • Blood Rose (Clare Hart, #2)
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Gallows Hill
  • Water Music
Daddy's Girl Blood Rose (Clare Hart, #2) Gallows Hill Water Music Gallows Hill (Dr. Clare Hart)