Start by marking “Tempting Fate” as Want to Read:
Tempting Fate

Tempting Fate

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In a town of flamboyance, wealth and family feuds, a mystery of the past is about to resurface.

Despite her success as a young entrepreneur, Dani Pembroke is a haunted woman. Long ago her mother vanished without a trace, leaving Dani to live with her wealthy relatives, who have their own questionable pasts. Although the residents of Saratoga, New York, gossip that Lilli Pem
Published August 1st 2008 by Mira (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Fate

Mojca
Her mother went missing twenty-five years ago, she grew up pretty much on her own, she threw her inheritance back into her grandfather's face and embraced the flamboyant half of her family as hers...Now, the mystery of her mother's disappearance just might be revealed, but there is someone who doesn't want it to and will do anything to prevent it from happening. But is that someone the same man she's falling for?

I complained about the first chapter being boring and slow...Well, the next chapters
Gina
Full of suspense and mystery but almost predictable.

Much to the chagrin of her Chandler relatives, Danielle Chandler Pembroke (Dani Pembroke) has returned to Saratoga Springs and has become an entrepreneur. Opening the Pembroke home as a hotel and re-opening the bottling plant (Pembroke mineral water), rumors begin to fly that she is over-extending her funds and is in trouble. The family is one edge as well - 25 years ago, Lilli Chandler Pembroke, her mother, had gone missing, never to be seen o
Katy
What happened to Lilly Chandler Pembrook when she disappeared 25 years ago? Her daughter Dani wants to know as well as four or five others, including a man who went to see Lilly's famous actress mother-in-law when he was 13. What link does his brother have with the Chandlers-Pembrooks, and how does it tie into his death in combat?

A wonder Carla Neggers story.
Anita
Really 3 and 1/2 stars. The character background and plot development was really good. The romance was not so good. I guessed the bad guy and the motive - always a bad thing to me.

Dani Chandler Pembroke comes ftom an eccrentic family, to say the least. I won't go into details because the book beats you over the head with them ad nasseum. Zeke is a wounded soul whose older brother, whom he adored, turned out to have feet of clay (or did he?). Zeke shows up in Sartoga Springs, NY trying to find a
Mandy
The story was quite interesting and it was difficult for me to see what was coming at the end which for me is rear. However there were far too many different characters and I found them to be confusing. I also thought that they caused a cluttered type atmosphere because they where so difficult to keep track of. The pase was too slow and it didn't seem to build tension or suspence so that was frustrating.
Donna
Interesting because it is set in Saratoga Springs, NY. But predicable.
Paige
This book was given to me and I chucked it off to the side waiting to read it as a last resort. (When I was out of books and couldnt make it to the library). But I was really surprised. This was a very good book. I liked the characters and the mystery behind the missing women. The ending could not have been more perfect. Truly a good read and I will be searching out more from Carla Neggers.
Sue
Too many characters, got distracted just trying to figure out how they were related. Couldn't even get past third chapter, too much information. May try to pick it up again later, I have read and enjoyed other books by this author before.
Carmen
I got this book before one of my recent trips and it was pretty good. The plot isn't overly complicated and there are some pretty good twists that make it interesting.
Stephanie Tuell
Jan 05, 2012 Stephanie Tuell marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Connie
This book was good, it had a good story, but I felt there were almost too many characters. It was hard to keep track of where everyone came into the story.
Elvis
A little hard to get the people straigh sort of like whose who but it is turning out to be a mystery. Can't quite figure out who the blackmailer is yet.
Kelly Moran
I had a hard time reading this book. It was very good, I was just insanely busy. This is a reprint of an early book. Was one of her best romantic suspenses.
Melissa
There was no suspense to this book. The mystery was so vague and the characters so boring. I couldn't care less who did it. Bleh
Debbie
I enjoy reading Carla Neggers. Her books have just the right amount of suspense and romance to keep me reading.
Melissahongistoymail.com
Not a bad read. Not necessarily amazing. But a good read. Once again the half stars would be useful.
Janet Smith
I like Carla Neggars books but save this for when you don't have anything else to read
Dawn Johansen dvorak
Not as good as others I have read. Kept reading hoping it would get better
Regina Nunez
I couldn't get through the first chapter , cause it was boring.
Pamela

Full of suspense and mystery but almost predictable.
Cheryl
this was a good book with not to bad in language.
Mary
And, yes another good book by Carla Neggers!!!
Carolyn
Interesting concept and setting.
Andrea
Update of an early novel
Hoda
A wonderful page turner
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Natalie Susich
Natalie Susich marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jodi Hepler
Jodi Hepler marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • Hold Back the Dark
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Forgotten
  • The Stolen (Henry Parker, #3)
  • Born To Be Wild
  • In The Blink Of An Eye (Lily Dale #5)
  • Victim
  • Chances: Opposites Attract / A Will and a Way
  • Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3)
  • Southern Comforts
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • Wild and Wicked
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • Now You See Him
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...
The Widow (Boston Police/FBI, #1) Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1) Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1) Saint's Gate (Sharpe & Donovan, #1) Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1)

“The love of your life is the person who makes you forget what all your standards and preconceived notions about love and romance even were.” 28 likes