Start by marking “Bad Girls & Wicked Women: The Most Powerful, Shocking, Amazing, Thrilling and Dangerous Women of All Time” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Bad Girls & Wicked Women: The Most Powerful, Shocking, Amazing, Thrilling & Dangerous Women of All Time is an historic survey of 22 of the most ruthless and ambitious women in history. These are sassy, brilliant, magnetic, cunning and tough-as-nails women who defied the social mores of their eras. These anti-heroines battled against the odds and often against the s ...more
Published May 19th 2008 by Pier 9, Murdoch Books (first published April 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Girls & Wicked Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Girls & Wicked Women

Jess
Mar 18, 2015 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, reread
[ This post was originally uploaded to http://www.theageofintimacy.com/bad-g... as part of a blogging/social media internship. ]

A few years ago, I was really into interesting coffee table books, with a particular obsession for PostSecret books. But in the course of my collecting, I managed to pick up Bad Girls & Wicked Women by Jan Stradling, and it (along with the PostSecret books) survived the cull when I finally moved out into my own place.

Let me be absolutely clear here – I love strong f
Hannah
I'm a big history nerd so this book was right up my alley. Plus I mean. I can really identify with the Bad Girls thing haha. Overall I thought that this was a pretty interesting read. I really liked how it was written. It didn't read like a history textbook, it was all very down to earth and put in a way that pretty much everyone can understand, which is really nice. I also liked the way the book was laid out, there were a lot of cool photo's and clippings from things to go along with each woma ...more
Jacquie South
Not bad ... some interesting women included in this collection. What I found interesting was that the women further back in history, more clouded in mystery, were, to me, more interesting to read about ... I wanted to know more about them. The more contempory women I found far less interesting - Imelda Marcos just doesn't fire up the imagination in the same way that Cleopatra does!

What was interesting also was the observation that most 'powerful' women were demonised by history (as written by m
Linda
It took me a long time to read this book because I actually own it as opposed to having borrowed it from the library, so I was reading it in between library books. It's a fascinating look at, as the subtitle says, "powerful, shocking, amazing...dangerous women." I'd not heard of many of them and knew little about most of the ones I'd heard of. I prefer to think that's because history tends not to focus on the deeds of women rather than my own ignorance but either way I felt a little uneducated r ...more
Crystal
This is a great multi-subject biography that won't be a chore to read. The book focuses on 30 women who have made history whether by choice or not. There are about 5 pages devoted to each woman so it's a great book to pick up before going to be bed if you want to read about just 1 or 2 a night. The details are kept pretty factual and present a basic biography of the woman from birth to death with emphasis on the ordeal(s) that made her (in)famous. I believe all include at least 1 photo or illust ...more
Elizabeth
A quick and interesting read. I learned more about some women I had already heard of and learned about some women who were new to me. A survey of these women's lives, this book makes me want to read more about several of them. I'm particularly interested in Phoolan Devi and Leila Khaled. I love books that make me want to read more
Andi
Érdekes kötet érdekes nőkről. Ez a könyv nagyon jó is lehetett volna, csak nem az. Nagyon elnagyolt, tele van ismétléssel, és ráadásul ha valaki dokumentumot akar írni, annak a fordításába miért írják bele, hogy téves? Ülni kellett volna még a kötet fölött, mielőtt kiadják.
De a hölgyek, akikről szól, igazán lebilincselőek.
Robbins' Nest
Jul 09, 2009 Robbins' Nest rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All my customers
Shelves: in-stock
Included in these pages are some of the most infamous females of our past and present century. Sure to make you laugh and/or gasp in shock of the audacity of some of the women in history. You will be recounting what you read to others in no time.
Liana
This was a fun book. I guess I have read a lot of books like this and I just wanted something a little extra. Overall is was a fun, easy read, perfect for right before bed since each woman has just a few pages devoted to her.
Kelly
This is a very interesting book. I think parents should read this book before letting their children read it. The subtitle tells it all as: shocking, amazing, thrilling and dangerous women of all time.
Cassie
Jul 25, 2013 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs
Recommended to Cassie by: B&N shelf
Shelves: non-fiction
A good collection of women, both admirable and deplorable. The author does her best to remain unbiased, but with some tales it's a stretch. A good history lesson as well. Keep it under the coffee table.
MandaPanda

- Georgia Tann
- Leila Khaled
- Phoolan Devi
Kelli
Cleopatra, Mata Hari, Belle Starr, and many more "Bad Girls." You get enough of each person to whet your appetite to read more about them. I would definately read this again.
Nicole
A really interesting book. Kind of lost my interest at points toward the end but overall was a good history lesson on famous women that you might not have ever heard of.
Briansmom
This was a really, really fun read! Loved these stories about "bad girls" from Cleopatra to Imelda Marcos, and many, many in between. But where was Eva Peron??
Shelli
Really interesting stories about women we've all heard of, and some that I hadn't. Good research. And I really liked the way the author set up each chapter.
Verna Seal
Interesting read ... not all that exciting but did hold my interest. What is fascinating is these women were basically driven by the same thing.
Loved it! Short stories compiled in one fascinating book. Highly recommended for someone who is interested in the stories of interesting women.
Some interesting women but who she selected were all over the board - not consistent in their degrees.
Anne Marshall
A great informative book about women that history either leaves out or vilifies
Hallie
Fun, quick read stories about amazing women.
Shea
Shea is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Rosi
Rosi added it
May 11, 2015
Marcia Burbidge
Marcia Burbidge marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Angelica
Angelica is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
  • The Wicked Queen: The Origins of the Myth of Marie-Antoinette
  • Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century
  • The Legend of Pope Joan: In Search of the Truth
  • Women and Madness
  • The Frozen Water Trade: A True Story
  • Plain Tales from the Raj
  • A Woman's View: How Hollywood Spoke to Women, 1930-1960
  • The Pirate Queen: In Search of Grace O'Malley and Other Legendary Women of the Sea
  • A different sort of real : the diary of Charlotte McKenzie, Melbourne 1918-1919
  • Lizzie
  • Florence Nightingale, 1820-1910
  • She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea
  • Fever Season: The Epidemic of 1878 That Almost Destroyed Memphis, and the People who Saved It
  • Darwin's Armada: Four Voyages and the Battle for the Theory of Evolution
  • Humboldt's Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American Journey that Changed the Way We Se
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Virgins of Venice: Broken Vows and Cloistered Lives in the Renaissance Convent
  • The Lady Queen: The Notorious Reign of Joanna I, Queen of Naples, Jerusalem, and Sicily
Bad Girls Good Girls Don't Make History The Wonders Inside: The Human Body Bugs and Spiders (The Wonders Inside) Search for good girls dont make history...