Start by marking “Fair Weather” as Want to Read:
Fair Weather

Fair Weather

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,297 ratings  ·  190 reviews
Richard Peck transports us back to 1893, to the Chicago World's Fair and its breathtaking mix of personalities and glimpses of the future.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2002 by Listening Library (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fair Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fair Weather

Stephanie
Fair Weather is another solid Richard Peck children's novel. Chicago once again plays a role in Peck's tale; in fact, it's a very big role. The novel is set in 1893 at the World's Columbian Exposition, or World Fair, in Chicago. Three country kids wind up in the Windy City for the fair along with their boisterous granddad and his dog, Tip. The novel is told from the perspective of the middle child, Rosie, who is about to turn 14. The book is full of humor, yet what I enjoyed the most was followi ...more
Susan
It's a great history lesson about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893.Peck is good with description and atmospherics that really put you in the scene without being too wordy. The narrator is a 14 year old farm girl from rural Illinois who tells the story of how her family came to visit their estranged aunt in the big city and experienced the fair. Of course, it's a YA book and short so the plot is neatly wrapped up in the end and everyone lives happily ever after, but I didn't mind because the stor ...more
Becky
Is Fair Weather my absolute favorite novel by Richard Peck? In all fairness, how could I really ever choose? Sure, I love, love, love some more than others. Some I've reread more than others. Some I've recommended more than others. But most that I've read (so far) have been worth it. Fair Weather is no exception.

World's Fair. Chicago. 1893. I really enjoyed so many things about Fair Weather. I liked the three Beckett siblings. I liked the narrator, Rosie. I liked the younger brother, Buster. I
Sue
As I was listening to this book, I thought I came across a Richard Peck book that I didn't like as much as the others. It felt choppy and I didn't know the characters as well as I would like. Then, it seemed like it was wrapping up the story in only 2 discs instead of three. I looked into things and discovered that I had skipped the first disc and went straight to the second. No wonder the characters weren't very well developed. That all happened at the beginning. Anyway, I did enjoy the book af ...more
David Edmonds
Richard Peck's story of Rosie Beckett's adventure to the 1893 World's Columbian Expo is, in a word, enchanting. This was my first time reading anything by Peck, and I'm sure to find more by him.

Rosie, her mother, sister and brother are invited by their Aunt Euterpe to travel to Chicago to see the World's Fair. Their mother decides not to go, but thinks it might be a good idea to send the children. Never having traveled farther from home than their horse could travel, Chicago might as well have b
Richie Partington
5/23/2001 FAIR WEATHER by Richard Peck, Dial Books, October 2001

We left Oakland at dawn, flew in to BWI, and caught a shuttlebus down to the DC Hostel. It was just getting dark by the time we'd checked in. ALA Midwinter was starting in the morning. We dropped our stuff in the room, bundled up, and headed back downstairs. Out the door, make a left, walk down past the Convention Center and between a couple of the Smithsonian buildings to the middle of The Mall. First, to the Washington Monument, a
Marfita
Richard Peck keeps writing the book that I want to write. While this is not my favorite of his books, it still reminds me that I have a book I want to write - unfortunately, Peck wrote it first.
A farm family goes to the Chicago Columbian Exhibition of 1893 at the invitation of the aunt who lives in the city. One is being sent to get her away from a boyfriend her mother doesn't approve of. Their grandfather slips into the group so that he can see Buffalo Bill Cody's show, which was not permitted
This book was recommended to me by a librarian in the youth department at my local library. She had praised it—and the author—very highly. The book did not disappoint. Through humor and great story-telling, Richard Peck succeeds in enlightening us, the reader, while entertaining us at the same time. The Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893 provides the backdrop for a coming-of-age story of the main character, thirteen-year-old Rosie Beckett. Not only was it an event of historical signifi ...more
GenreGroup
Caroline Davis's Review:

In the thirteen years of her life, Rosie Beckett has never traveled farther from her farm than a horse could take her in one day. This all changes when a letter arrives from her Aunt Euterpe in Chicago, inviting Rosie and her siblings to come visit for a week to see the World's Columbian Exposition - the 1893 Chicago World's Fair! For a country girl impressed by getting to travel on a train, the marvels of the World's Fair are almost too incredible to believe. If only the
Kim
Richard Peck is what I call the Norman Rockwell of authors. He always brings a sense of nostalgia to his works and evokes a warm feeling as you read his stories. "Fair Weather: is another tale that does the same.

It is 1893, Chicago hosted what was called "The World's Columbian Exposition" or other wise known as "The World's Fair." Also on a farm in Indiana, thirteen-year-old Rosie Beckett and her family received a letter from their Aunt Euterpe who was a widower and lived in Chicago. Rosie had n
Carmen Montopoli
Peck creates another batch of memorable characters for this trip to the 1893 Columbian Exposition. While the plot is both simple and predictable, it's also a great romp through the foibles of high society in turn-of-the-century Chicago. Featuring cameos from Buffalo Bill and Lillian Russell, the characters in this book rub elbows with some of the greatest figures to come out of this period in American history. The narrator, the middle sister of three siblings, has a wry, no-nonsense voice that m ...more
Yoke
13-year-old Rosie Beckett, isn't quite sure what inspired her mother to allow Rosie and her two siblings to visit rich Aunt Euterpe in a "place with a million or so people, most of them criminals," but she suspects it has something to do with her wanting to separate Rosie's older sister, Lottie, from her suitor, "a drifter and probably a grifter." In any case, Lottie, Rosie and their younger brother, Buster, accompanied by their flamboyant grandfather, nearly burst with excitement as they embark ...more
Chelsie Hill
In my opinion, Fair Weather is a decent book. It's not great, it's not terible, just decent. The book takes place in 1893, so it's pretty cool to see what life was like back then. That's the main reason I liked this book. One of the reasons I did not like this book, was that it never left me on the edge of my seat wondering what's next. Also, the author barely used any emotion. I recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fictions, if you dont like them, do not read this book.
Kristen
Short & Sweet: Richard Peck's books are well known to librarians everywhere, but his books rarely seem to be checked out by students at my elementary school. I loved the way this book was written, taking you back to the time period with the setting, characters and even the writing of dialogue within. Readers that are interested in Chicago's past will enjoy this novel. I think Peck's books are fantastic books to share on the topic of historical fiction. I love the way the dialogue reflects t ...more
Patti
Fair Weather - Another delightful book from Newbery-winning author, Richard Peck! I had to read this after his exceptionally funny “Long Way from Chicago” and “A Year Down Yonder.”

Loved this book also! Not the laugh-out-loud-even-if-you’re-reading-alone category (like the other two), but absolutely entertaining non-the less. Wonderful characters take us back to a time not even on my radar. Didn’t matter!

I knew absolutely NOTHING about the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Couldn’t tell you
Tanya
I enjoyed this book. It's the first Richard Peck book that I've read but I think it has wide appeal. My Middle school students, who did a research paper on Chicago, would enjoy the references to Mrs. Potter Palmer (since they understand who Palmer was) but even my 7 yo daughter would probably enjoy listening to this story.
Janet Maxwell
So far I haven't read a book by Richard Peck that I didn't love. He has the most amazing wit and ability the create characters. Grandpa Fuller was one unforgettable character and the setting of the Great Chicago World's Fair made the book even more interesting. Can't wait to recommend this book to student.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 134pgs

1893 Chicago, Il. When Aunt Euterpe invites 13 year old Rosie, her mother, brother, and sister to come see the World's Columbian Exposition, Rosie is excited at the idea of going into the city. Her mother reminds them to mind their manners since Euterpe isn't used to children. Try as they might Rosie and her siblings and grandpa (who showed up using their mother's ticket) can't help but create an uproar where ever they go.

Great descriptions of the fair and view of Chicago society. A
Heidi Hertzog
We listened to this on our way back from the ocean. The kids refused to listen, but after awhile, Alyssa started making some comments and laughing. Michael and I laughed a lot. I have always loved books by Richard Peck and remember reading many as a preteen and teen, but this just proves he's still got it.
I selected this book on CD somewhat randomly because I have liked other books by the same author. It is a quick listen that describes the Chicago World's Fair from the perspective of a 12-year old girl from downstate in Illinois. It was a fairly simple plot line that provide a vehicle to give you a good sense of all the wonders of the fair.
Rebecca
Once they finally get there, this is a bright and quirky imagined childhood memory of the Chicago Colombian Exposition in 1893. (Which you may remember from such bestsellers as The Devil in the White City.) But I endured an entirely plotless first cassette (out of three). It's just one big lament that "they've seen nothing of world." They farm. They don't wear shoes in the summer. I get it. I was ready to jump a train to the big city too.

Worst of all, this country gal's tale is read by what sou
Michelle
I found that a trip to the World's Fair could be quite fun. I have always wanted to attend a WF. I longed to go in 1982 to Knoxville. This was what I imagined it could be, just a bit further back in time.

Fun, fast, summer type reading. No big commitment, just enjoy.
Heather
I wonder if Richard Peck thought, "I bet that it would be fun to write a book about the Chicago World's Fair!" So he created a family of quirky characters who could visit the fair, and he got to work. And here is the result. It's a splendid way to learn more history and enjoy bits of humor sprinkled throughout.

G
Kathryn
I selected this book as a read aloud for my 3rd graders because we study Chicago for the whole year in social studies and we had talked about the Colombian World's Exhibition. I loved the book for giving us some historical fiction to discuss these events over. The biggest problem was that even with me reading the book aloud and stopping to talk about the vocabulary a lot of it was over the 8 & 9 year olds heads that I was reading it to. Thus, they missed a lot of the humor or were confused a ...more
Logan
May 04, 2010 Logan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
WHY: I pre-read this book recently and enjoyed it as much as many other Richard Peck books I've read. He has a knack for bringing the past to life without being too obvious or didactic about it. And I love his eccentic bit characters. The story takes place in 1893, when the World's Fair was inn Chicago. The main character is 13-year-old Rosie, who has never been away from her family's farm. Her estranged aunt writes and invites her and her siblings to come to Chicago for the fair. Rosie's hilari ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Mr. Peck does it again, placing me squarely into history with a delightful voice to take me there. His treatment of the Chicago Worlds Fair from the perspective of a small town Illinois fourteen year old is priceless.
David
Not as interesting as "A long way from Chicago" or "A year down yonder", and it took a while for me to get interested, but once it got going it was a very engaging story with a touching ending.
Kelley
Good book for children to see what a worlds fair at the end of the 1800s was all about. Also they could catch a glimpse of the cruel rules of society without getting into too much detail.
LaSchelle
A fun, quick read about a family living in rural Illinois and their opportunity to go to the Chicago World Fair in 1893.

I enjoyed the author's inclusion of actual photos and postcards from the fair.

Grandpa is a crack up, along with his faithful dog Tip and his horse, Lillian Russell. Grandpa doesn't do anything conventional and this gets them lots of attention, welcome and not-so-welcome while at the fair.

Rose is a great narrator and typical teen.

There are many twists to the story that make it
Robyn
More like 3.5 stars, really. A good read by a consistently amazing author -- how does he have all these good books inside of him, just waiting to come out?
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Hope's Crossing
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
  • Sing a Song of Tuna Fish: Hard-To-Swallow Stories from Fifth Grade
  • A House of Tailors
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Don't You Know There's a War On?
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Mr. Tucket (The Tucket Adventures, #1)
  • The Year the Swallows Came Early
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Rodzina
  • Dovey Coe
  • Born to Fly
  • Worth
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...
A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1) A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2) The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts The River Between Us A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)