A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)

A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes #5)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Sisters Bernadette and Libby Simmons are thrilled they've been asked to cater a haunted house fundraiser. But they soon discover that ghosts aren't the only unwanted guests when a murderer strikes...

With the promise of a hefty commission and some valuable word-of-mouth for their catering business, A Little Taste of Heaven, Bernadette and Libby Simmons agree to cater the ch...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Kensington (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Catered Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Catered Halloween

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellDying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson
Mysteries in Good Taste!
99th out of 281 books — 241 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinA Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Books That Start With the Word A
93rd out of 211 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Bridget
Anyone who knows me, knows that one of my favorite things to do is to read a book that is seasonally appropriate, particularly during the fall/winter holidays. So when I saw that this book was available for my Nook Color, I decided to download it. I'd read "A Catered Thanksgiving," and though it's not great literature, enjoyed it a lot, so I thought I'd try another of Isis Crawford's mysteries featuring Libby and Bernie Simmons.

In this installment, the sisters are asked to provide the food for a...more
Amber
I made a resolution to only read Halloween/scary books until Halloween. I have a feeling I will regret this, but oh well!

This book was ok. It was part of a series, and this is the first one I've read. I'm notorious for reading books out of order (and never had much trouble with that), but I've never found one as difficult as this one; there was just no character back story. I realized that I never knew how old the characters were -- they mention something about getting Botox and being paranoid i...more
R.
this was quite strange to read. I have not read the first four books in the series. the characters are not really introduced, so I had no idea how old anyone was in this. relationships are implied, but not explained. it took me a long time to figure out what kind of business the two catering sisters even own. (since they make savory food as well as sweets; apparently it's a cafe?) it seems like everyone is designed to resemble a human who has had all of their redeemable features removed. the mys...more
Barb
Halloween is my favorite holiday - the title of this book sucked me in. The story was just barely ok and even though I am a big fan of books in a series (as I can really bond with the characters), I won't read anymore of these. The writing was poor, the story line was not captivating and the characters were tolerable - not likeable. My advice for this one is don't bother.
Misty
My favorite mystery writer's books are always filled with delicious sounding foods. I've often thought that if she put out a recipe book based on the food in her books, I'd snatch it in a second. When I came across Isis Crawford's A Catered Halloween, I was looking forward to the food/mystery combination. Alas, I was disappointed. The characters were flat, prose repetitive (how many times can one sister say her other sister wears inappropriate clothing?), and dialogue contrived. The mystery plot...more
Kana
Summary
Book Club October/ Haunted Halloween 2012 Challenge
Level: Pale Rider: Once Upon A Time: Alice in Zombieland, Smooth Criminal: Vanity, Vengeance And A Weekend In Vegas, Halloween Night: A Catered Halloween, and Rules Of Darkness: Addicted.

Thoughts
So I learned something useful. If you are going to read a book with a dessert theme, it's best if you have cookie and cake mix and all the ingredients in your kitchen, ready for when that sweet tooth hits you. This book spends more time describing...more
Kristin Lundgren
First cozy I have read in years. this one was fun, it was the night before Halloween when I read it, and it was light-hearted, and fun. But there was a lot of backstory from earlier in the series that I missed - it's not a series you can pick up in the middle as well - she did a poor job of bringing new readers into the new book with out boring older readers. It took me a long while to figure out if one of the main characters was married or not. Certain comments made me think she was, but then.....more
Kilgallen
A good, quick cozy mystery. I have read another of this series and this one is very comparable in pacing and character development. I did like the conclusion as it seemed to be "fair". ( Sometimes cozy mysteries are somewhat ridiculous in their unbelievable endings!) A recommended read for the "cozy" fan.
Lynne
This little mystery was fun. I'm not sure I like the characters, but the mystery was engaging. The murderer didn't become apparent until just before they were revealed.
Mascanlon
This is my first read in this series. I might have enjoyed it more if I had started at the beginning and understood a bit more of the back story of the characters. (I know that's a tough one for series authors to figure out, too much is boring and not enough..well, readers like me get confused!) The plot was a familiar one, the boarding school murder years ago that now catches up with the bad seed and I never did quite figure out why the 2 sisters who are caterers got involved. But the worst thi...more
Catherine
I really liked this book and it was very hard to figure out who did it but that's what I like with her books, she keeps you guessing. Please read this book. Book 5 in the series.
Debbie Maskus
The last two books that I have read have relied on the detective powers of Bernie Simpson to investigate and solve the mystery. Poor Libby is constantly eating chocolate and worrying about her old, frumpy clothes. The treats for the Halloween party at the Haunted House sound delicious. And what a haunted house, complete with a real head falling down the steps! The sense of a grudge lasting for decades and finally being resolved is plausible. This novel is not one of the more exciting books of th...more
Toni
Made it about 3/4 the way through and I just did not want to spend anymore time reading this. The story could have been good but it seemed to bounce around too much. I lost interest and felt annoyed while reading it. It took me awhile to figure out who Sean and Marvin were (I had not read previous books in the series). It changed perspectives way too much and hard to follow. Disappointing. Now I need to find another halloween mystery to read....
Heidi
This mystery was ok.. I got it to read this time of year for the title alone, found there were other books in the series already... probably wont go back and read the others... the sisters are good characters but I'm left hanging as to what their personalities are. There wasn't good character dynamics and it was had to figure out how everyone related to everyone else. Mystery was reletivly easy to solve with no drama ... luke warm on this one
Frankie
I loved that this was a Halloween setting -- the storyline was perfect for it. Libby and Bernie are such fun characters and I enjoy how they work things out and work together. Really, my only complaint would be the dang recipes. How on earth does Isis Crawford bill these books as "A Mystery with Recipes" when the recipes that are included are NOT the recipes the sisters use -- not even close. That part disappoints me every single book.
Susan
Caterer sisters Libby and Bernie are working on a charitable haunted house, but unfortunately the house is really haunted, and on their tour the sisters find the head and body of an unpopular local woman--separated. Their father, a reluctantly-retired policeman, and their boyfriends pitch in to help identify a murder. If you like your mysteries rational, you'll find the ghosts in this one a bit obtrusive.
Holly Booms Walsh
A so-so culinary mystery, in the vein of Diane Mott Davidson's catering mysteries, but not as well-written. I got the feeling that the author was trying too hard to make you like the characters and their community and for them to be "unique", but it just ended up sounding sort of cliched and forced. Even the strange ghost/paranormal tack the book took ended up seeming as though it didn't quite fit.
While this book isn't going to win any awards, it was a quick fun read. I liked the characters, and it reminded me of a grown-up Nancy Drew story. The food element also worked, but I wish there had been more recipes. Also, I wanted that ginger-pumpkin bar recipe! And she gives some Day of the Dead recipes in the back of the book that weren't mentioned in the story (though they look tasty).
Venessa
Pretty quick, fun read. First time reading a book in this series and even though I hadn't read the series from the beginning it was pretty easy figuring out who was who. Some of the concepts in the book were a little hard to grasp but it is a fiction book so you kind of have to go with the flow. Will definitely read another book in the series.
Kate
A festive, fast paced read that I couldn't put down. I would have liked a little more background on the characters (like how old they were and what exactly their relationships with the men in their lives were all about), but I'll chalk that up to the fact that this is the 5th book in the series. All in all it was a good read.
Sandra
I was going to review this for my blog to get everyone into the Halloween spirit, but it wasn't that great of a book. I didn't realize it was part of a series and because I haven't read any other books in it, I missed the backstory which is probably why I didn't enjoy it that much.
Kira
A cute halloween mystery. The series is about 2 sisters I think in their 40s/50s that own a catering business. I doubt I will read any more books in this series, its not the best writing. And the sisters tend to get on each others nerves, and in turn, got on mine!
Debbie
I am terrible at guessing mysteries. I never even try, but I guessed this one about 10 pages in. Plus there were a ton of loose ends that never really got resolved and in the end it just didn't really make sense.
Nicole Romine
It satisified my need for a Halloween-themed mystery, but it was an average cozy myster. I found many of the characters (especially the sisters) quite annoying and the plot quite predictable and choppy.
Candace
Bought a handful of Halloween-flavored mysteries at Safeway. Seasonal light reading. This one was pretty good -- a ways south of Agatha Christie, but still, not bad at all. And it comes with recipes.
Delene
Warning when you read A Catered Halloween, you might gain weight with all the food that is mentioned in the book. A good book to read if you want to escape for a bit from the real world troubles.
Abbey

Read the first four chapters, realized I really couldn't really remember the story. So I started again and still couldn't get into it. Just didn't care about the characters or the story.
John
dad is ex-chief of police. two daughters run a catering business and help solve crime. good book. keeps you guessing to the end, then you find that one of your gueses was right.
Grey853
I got bored with the bickering between the sisters. Plus, the supernatural elements were lame and the mystery not much of a mystery. This was a serious disappointment.
  • Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)
  • Goody Goody Gunshots (A Candy Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Fat Free and Fatal (Savannah Reid, #12)
  • Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4)
Isis Crawford was born in Egypt to parents who were in the diplomatic corps. When she was five, her family returned to the States, where her mother opened a restaurant in Upper Westchester County and her father became a university professor. Since then Isis has combined her parents’ love of food and travel by running a catering service as well as penning numerous travel-related articles about plac...more
More about Isis Crawford...
A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1) A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3) A Catered Wedding (A Mystery with Recipes, #2) A Catered St. Patrick's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #8) A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)