Start by marking “Paint by Magic” as Want to Read:
Paint by Magic

Paint by Magic (Time Travel Mystery #2)

Something is terribly wrong with Connor's mom--she keeps slipping into bizarre trances. Connor suspects that the key to his mom's strange behavior is an old art book filled with paintings of a woman who looks exactly like her. But the artist who created those paintings died before his mom was even born.
Connor gets his chance to break the evil link between the past and the
Published August 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Paint by Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paint by Magic

Xustine Yee
Jun 12, 2011 Xustine Yee rated it really liked it
in the beginning, i was so curious to what was happening. FOr that reason, i couldn't put the book down because i wanted to figure out just what was wrong with connors mother.

i loved the characters in the book from the past. it's hilarious to read them saying, "thats the bee's knees" or "hay is for horses" because no one says that anymore. And i can relate to Connor when feels how the past is much healthier than the present day because there was no computers or tv. so everyone was always outsid
Priscilla
'Hay is for horses!'

This is one of the books I found in my family's study whose plot I couldn't remember. The only thing I can remember is that I liked it, and that sentence up there^ (funny what your brain retains, isn't it?), so I decided it was time for a re-read.

Paint By Magic is aimed for middle-schoolers, and I think that age group would find this thrilling. I've read and watched too many mystery novels to be surprised by the conclusion of the plot, so I became quite impatient with Connor
Susan
Dec 07, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this time-travel mystery. It kept me reading. It starts out in the modern-day world. Connor's family is a typical family--both parents are tied to their jobs, both kids are tied to after-school activities, T.V., computer games, etc. And then Connor's mom starts acting strange. She decides to cut back to part-time work, throws all of the T.V.'s out, wears very strange clothes, and insists on everyone eating home-cooked meals together. She also freezes. She is doing something ordi ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A time travel book... and what made it weirder was that everything I read I would think, "Oh, yeah!" as though I had already read it... Not that I knew anything that would next. But it was kind of like dejavo (um... sp?) while I was reading it! Anyway, I found out I had read it before, so it's not that weird, but anyway!

I really liked the book. It kept me reading and my brain whirling trying to figure it out. I thought the characters were a little slow figuring stuff out, but I had to remind mys
MarsianMan
Nov 27, 2010 MarsianMan rated it liked it
Connor comes home one day to find his mom acting very strange. She acts as if she has not seen him in a year instead of last night. She has removed all the distracting technological marvels like computers and TVs from the house. She has started dressing old-fashioned and actually cooking dinner! Occasionally Connor sees her frozen and afraid, like she is not actually there. He finds a strange art book with paintings of his mom when frozen….except they were painted before she was even born. Someh ...more
Feb 14, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I highly reccomend this book. Having read a whole bunch of time-travel books lately, this one really emerges as a winner. While aimed for middle elementary schoolars, it would work for 8-14 yr olds. The plot has enough mystery and suspence to keep a wide range of ages interested. I found it to be very eire at time, lots of fun creepy moments.

The hero is a 11 yr old boy, who lives a busy life, but arrives home to find his mom strangely changed. When trying to find what has happened to her, he is
Brandi Bette
Jul 26, 2012 Brandi Bette rated it it was amazing
Time Travel/ Historical Fiction
The story begins with a 15th century Italian painter, whose evil power stretches beyond his death, possessing a descendant in 1920s California and a woman living in the in the world today. For 11-year-old Connor, it starts when he gets home from school one day to find his mother, a workaholic, as an old-fashioned homemaker cooking and baking and experiencing strange seizures where she stops moving for hours. It's not until Connor is transported back in time to 1926
Debbie
Aug 16, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it
When Connor's busy working mom suddenly gets rid of the TV and the computer and starts cooking dinner every night, he wonders what is going on. But when she starts experiencing strange episodes that leave her frozen in terror, Connor sets out to save her. His journey takes him inside a painting and back in time.

Mystery fans will race to turn the pages to find out if Connor can save his mom before it's too late.
Amanda
This was a great book but not one of my favorites.

This was a good book, and it was very creative. It is just not Kathryn Reiss's best book. I liked it no dout about that but she has several other books that are a lot better than this one. So if you are a fan of Kathryn reiss I suggest this book and even if your not a fan I still think you should read this book.
Bobbi Bullard
Dec 21, 2015 Bobbi Bullard rated it liked it
A decent read, but not great.

My rating of a book usually hinges on whether I want to keep reading it or not and the answer, for this book was yes.

I am sorry that the ratings don't allow half stars/as I would have given this a 3 1/2.

An y way, I give this an OK. I didn't put it down partway through but I would only recommend that you read it if you don't have any thing else in the house.
Meritt
Jul 05, 2008 Meritt rated it it was ok
this book captured me, but the main character sort of bothered me, i don;t know why.
it was about a boy (conner)who discovers that his mother(pamela) is acting sort of weird. He finds a book of paintings, and it turns out there is some sort of magical connection to the 1920's. it is basically good, but not great.
Torina
Jan 08, 2010 Torina rated it it was amazing
Cindy
Oct 13, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Paint by Magic was a quick read about a boy whose mom is suddenly acting very strangely. Is she bewitched? Connor decides he has to save his mom. He discovers that the solution lies in the past and he has to travel in time to get back to where the trouble started. It was a little light for me, but probably much more fun for the age it was intended. Cool idea.
Emily N
Dec 17, 2009 Emily N rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic page turner! filled with a magical plot that makes you think about the boundries of the demensions. I would reccomend this book to anybody who loves suspenseful mysteries. The writing style is a little advanced, so you have to read it carefully, but it is sooo worth it. I would have to say this is one of my favorite books ever.
Mary
Dec 18, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Well told story that makes nostalgia for the early 20th century understandable. Connor's upscale northern California family is not very admirable nor likeable, and the time travel element was handled well. Although slang from the 20s is better left out!
Ak
May 24, 2014 Ak rated it it was amazing
I loved it. The mystery of the book intrigued me so much! The plot and the characters were really great. This book really is an underrated book. I don't see it in the book stores or anything. I recommend this to any mystery, magic lovers!
Amanda
Nov 30, 2014 Amanda added it
I read this book in 2nd grade, it's AMAZING! It was my favorite book for 4 years. It's about a boy that travels through time and understands his past only that way. I totally recommend it--it's not a second-grade level book, btw.
Natsu
Feb 06, 2014 Natsu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, mystery
This book was much better than the previous one (Dreadful Sorry/Kapal Maut Clementine)

interesting story, nice plot and twist, fast-paced, I didn't even have the time to think that I'm bored *lol, yeah I know it's exaggerating* :D
Fadilah
Dec 21, 2010 Fadilah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
by the way, from my point of view as an adult, this story is too childish. Come on, who would believe something crazy easily from a kid's saying?

however, time travel is my favorite theme so still I like it.
Oni
Mar 06, 2009 Oni is currently reading it
Very very good
Shirley Lu
Jun 30, 2008 Shirley Lu rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is a mix of mystery and time travel. It has flashbacks and you can never imagine what happens next in the story. This book was one of my favorite books ever
Mariya
Feb 19, 2009 Mariya rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-school
i actually really liked this book! it was different from all the stuff i've been reading. it's also a fast read
Veni
Oct 20, 2008 Veni rated it really liked it
menegangkan........!!!
Sunny
Aug 24, 2012 Sunny rated it liked it
I liked it. It was definitely a kids'/teen book. For me, it wasn't that thrilling compared to other time-traveling books, but it was good nonetheless.
Catherine
Jul 27, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book is a bit creepy - just the right amount of creepy. Not a favorite book, but a good read.
Sam
Mar 03, 2012 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel
Got book from best friend Therese, author lives a block from her office. I enjoyed it, good young adult story.
Brianna Walpole
Jul 06, 2011 Brianna Walpole rated it liked it
This was a fun read... nice to get back into young adult literature. It kept me entertained for a few days and I found myself looking forward to reading it.
♫♪ Olivia ♪♫
Nov 08, 2008 ♫♪ Olivia ♪♫ rated it it was amazing
this book was really good!
Riley Schneider
May 25, 2010 Riley Schneider rated it it was amazing
awesome!
Eileen
Aug 04, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it
I read this back in elementary school and kind of forgot about it. I'm pretty sure it was one of my very favourite books, though. I'll have to re-read it!
  • The Last Treasure
  • Ghost Cadet
  • Ignatius MacFarland: Frequenaut!
  • The Horrendous Heap (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-12)
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • Raptor
  • The Blue Umbrella: A Novel
  • The King in the Window
  • Walter: The Story of a Rat
  • In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)
  • Escape from Shadow Island (Max Cassidy, #1)
  • Following the Mystery Man
  • Into the Grey
  • Thrice Told Tales: Three Mice Full of Writing Advice
  • The Funny Thing
  • The Book of Dragons
  • Dead Guy Spy (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #2)
Kathryn Reiss was born in Massachusetts, grew up in Ohio, and received B.A. degrees in English and German from Duke University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. After college, she lived in Bonn, Germany as a Fulbright Scholar, and during this time wrote the first draft of her first novel.

Ms. Reiss has been a Writer in Residence for the Princeton Arts Council, a re
More about Kathryn Reiss...

Time Travel Mystery (4 books)
  • Dreadful Sorry