The Case of the Howling Dog

The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  555 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Arthur Cartwright consults attorney Perry Mason about bequeathing property to neighbour Clinton Foley's wife, but also wants to file a complaint about Clinton's noisy dog. Questioning the client's sanity, Perry visits Clinton's home. First he discovers Clinton's wife is missing; then he finds Clinton's corpse.
Paperback, Large Print, 279 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published 1934)

James Thane
First published in 1934, The Case of the Howling Dog was the fourth entry in Erle Stanley Gardner's long-running series featuring Perry Mason.

At this point, Gardner was still in the process of establishing the formula that he would adhere to once the series hit its stride. Lieutenant Tragg, the intelligent and sympathetic homicide detective, and Hamilton Burger, the D.A. who would become Mason's principal adversary had not yet been introduced. The police department is still represented by the o...more
Randy
Fourth book in the Perry Mason series, it was made into a film starring Warren William as Mason in 1934.

Decent mystery, but Gardner hadn't fully developed his characters as yet. Della Street and Paul drake doubt him more than once in the novel. He was just beginning to get his reputation as a master criminal lawyer.

Perry is hired by a man to handle his will - and do something about a howling dog at his neighbor's home!

Questioned extensively about preparing wills, the man wanted to leave his esta...more
Harold
Perry finally gets into the courtroom in this one. There were no courtroom scenes in the previous (first)three although the lack of a courtroom didn't prevent Perry from cross examining everyone in site. Perry is still in tough guy mode but he's smoothing out a bit. Della is obviously smitten with her boss and Paul Drake is in character from the first book on.

I loved it! The howling dog fits nicely into the mystery and plays an unexpected part in the final twist, which tidily tops off a good mys...more
Carol
First, an admission. I never watched the Perry Mason TV series. I know who he was and the general idea of the shows, but this book is my first true meeting with Perry Mason, and I have to say I'm impressed. As a lawyer, he's all for representing his client, even if his actions are sometimes skirting the edge of legal.

The story starts with a client coming to Perry Mason's office to discuss a will and a complaint about a howling dog, but a seemingly simple case leads to murder and it's up to Perry...more
Robert
It would be difficult to call Erle Stanley Gardner a great writer. It is obvious that he dictated the books and didn't always scrupulously blend the successive dictated sesions. Often the Perry Mason mysteries turn on coincidence and convenience--but that said, nobody could set up a mystery better than Gardner, and the books are fun to read. Also, you can learn a fair amount about the law and legal strategy reading the Masons. The earlier ones (I belive "Howling Dog" was the first) don't quite j...more
William P.
This is my first Perry Mason novel, and I have to say I love it. It's got everything I enjoy about pulp mysteries and Gardner knew how to write this stuff. I have a sneaking hunch that you could probably pick up any one of the eighty-some-odd novels in this series and have a blast with it. Some of of the mystery is pretty obvious, some of the plot is nutty, but it's fun, it's fast, and it's a great read.
Donna
Another early Perry Mason. One of the plot clues I got, the rest left me baffled as usual. Would have given another star except for the degrading depiction of the Chinese cook. Probably acceptable for its day (1935), but outrageous now.
Robyn
KOLL

In looking for a list of Perry Mason mysteries chronologically I accidentally got spoiled on this one, but it was good anyway. The casual racism toward the Chinese cook was painful, I have to hope the opportunity for more doesn't show up in other books in the series.

Will continue to read them at a rate of one per month as my free selection, only wish the first book was available via KOLL, but I'm sure I can get a print copy through the library sometime.

Oddly, as much as I love the show an...more
Juuli
Teismelisena sai üsna mitut Perry Masoni raamatut loetud, aga huvitaval kombel ei pannud ma aastaid tagasi tähele, kui ülbe see tegelane kohati olla võib.
Lugu on huvitav ja küllaltki põnev.

Ütlusi ja katkeid raamatust:

lk 30
"Siin riigis on täpselt sama palju raha, nagu alati on olnud. See lihtsalt ei ringle samam kiirusega, Seepärast tundubki, et kellelgi raha pole."

lk 93
"Me oleme aru saanud, et selle juhtumi kallal töötamine on teile päris korralikult sisse toonud," ütles Holcomb.
Perry Mason hai
Rebecca
Content - Interesting premise. A very early Perry Mason.

Mechanics - There were pacing problems where Perry philosophizes about the law which slowed the story right where it should have been picking up pace. Della's character is more soppy in this one than anything else.

Squeaky Clean? - A few bad words.
Dean Anderson
I've watched much of the Raymond Burr serious, but this is the first Perry Mason book I've read. The book was on par with the series for sexism (secretary Della Street is a "girl"), but the racism quotient is higher (the Chinese cook is a "chink".) Perry in the book, as opposed to the TV series, is even more willing to skate near or cross over the line of the law for his client. And surprisingly, the murderer does not stand up and confess in the final dramatic courthouse scene ("And I'd got away...more
Lorraine Carmouche
Perry Rocks

I grew up reading these books. They're intelligent, well written, and you can't help but picture the cast from the tv show. I love these books, but younger readers will probably get bored.
Michele bookloverforever
if you thought the TV series was good then you should give the books a try. excellent plotting and a twist to the ending.
Ed
#4 in the Perry Mason. In this superior series entry, the question is does the dog howl and if so, why?

Perry Mason is hired by Arthur Cartright to get his neighbor's dog to stop howling and to advise on a will. The neighbor says the dog never howled, his wife (apparently really Cartright's wife) disappears - supposedly with Cartright - and he and his dog are discovered shot to death. Perry plays fast and loose with homicide to defend his new client.
Edward Butler
Flawed, dated, but interesting for its differences from the television series. Be warned that there is persistent racist language used toward a Chinese character.
Luís
Another Perry Manson story style. What i didn't like about this book and made me give 3 starts it's that used a lot of the formula from the other books and i didn't feel that had something new.

Althought that, a competent work that will be a good read to the people who like the genre.
Cathy Houston
a good Perry Mason puzzle
Biblioworm
Эта история мне не понравилась - начиная с того, что сейчас трудно сопереживать непонятному в наше время поведению героев, и заканчивая тем, что Мейсон очень все разжевывает.

Раньше, насколько помню, Гарднера не читал.
Возможно, я зря начал с одной из первых книг о Перри Мейсоне (если честно, я узнал что она 4ая только когда нашел ее в goodreads, чтобы написать отзыв).
Но эту точно не могу рекомендовать.
James Vest

A novel that's as rough around the edges as Perry Mason was early in the series. The most uncomfortable part of the book, besides the poor cultural handling of a Chinese manservant character, is Perry's willingness to break the law-to the point where it's unclear in the end whether his client's fate depended as much on Mason's willingness to withhold evidence as his courtroom heroics.
Michael
Great, quick mystery that leaves you guessing to the end. Ingenious legal and psychological tactics and strategies that push the boundaries of the law. Also includes fascinating color of the times including sexism, and racism such as a Chinese man being called a chink by a police officer and talked to like he was dumb.
Elderberrywine
This one was pretty darn nifty. And now I'm beginning to understand the Mason-Drake dynamic. Much like Holmes-Watson, there needs to be someone to explain things out to, in a measured-out sort of way. Because otherwise, of course, the audience would have no clue.

Very well, Mason. Carry on, then.
I'm willing to overlook the casual racism as being a product of its time, but the writing in this book is truly dreadful. Plot's good, as usual, but the prose is leaden. I also have the urge to silently drum my fingers on the nearest desk...
Seth
Nov 06, 2007 Seth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of detective and legal thrillers
It's a quick read. It's a fun, fast-paced detective mystery full of dialog, questions, and suspense. The novel shares some simple insights and tricks of a fictional star criminal trial lawyer named Perry Mason.
Vincent Darlage
Interestingly, the modern paperback edits out the last few paragraphs of the novel from the text found in the older hardcover - the paragraphs that introduce the next novel, the Case of the Curious Bride.
DavidO
Perry Mason clearly crosses the line in this one, not quite the saint from the TV show. The antagonists are a bit weak because the more skilled cops/DA haven't been introduced yet.
Huma
Its one of the books where the line between legal and illegal is really difficult to see, and Mason is really sticking out his neck to prove this client innocent of murder...
David
Spoiler alert. Don't read this review!

For aficionados of the tv series get this!

You know how Perry's clients are always innocent?

Not so much this time around.
Apryl Anderson
Of course, we figured it out before he did, but we give him the credit for pulling it off so dramatically. This was a plain ole fun read!
Kaylynn
This was such a fun read. I'm definitely going to try other mysteries by Gardner. It was quite different from the tv show.
Pete Roman
Maybe because it was one of his earlier works that the plot of the story was different. The story was great over-all. Must read!
  • Woman in the Dark
  • GoldenEye (John Gardner's Bond, #15)
  • The Seventh (Parker, #7)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald Mysteries #8)
  • And Be a Villain  (Nero Wolfe, #13)
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • Silent Partner
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • Walking Shadow
  • The Past Never Ends
  • Ruined City
  • Anatomy of a Murder
  • Chicago Lightning
  • Death on the Cape and Other Stories

Innovative and restless in his nature, he was bored by the routine of legal practice, the only part of which he enjoyed was trial work and the development of trial strategy. I...more
More about Erle Stanley Gardner...
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)

“appraisal was evident in his glance. “Well, then,” he said, “let’s hear about” 0 likes
“Clinton Foley is living?” “Of course he’s living. He’s living next door” 0 likes