Start by marking “The Case of the Howling Dog” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Howling Dog

The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason #4)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Compared to a juicy murder trial, a case of feuding neighbors isn't exactly Perry Mason's cup of tea. But Arthur Cartright insists that Mason is the only one who can muzzle the howling hound that's driving Cartright crazy. But Perry doesn't realize just how crazy until he meets his client's neighbor. Clinton Foley says Cartright is barking up the wrong tree with his canine ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 279 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Howling Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Howling Dog

James Thane
First published in 1934, The Case of the Howling Dog was the fourth entry in Erle Stanley Gardner's long-running series featuring Perry Mason.

At this point, Gardner was still in the process of establishing the formula that he would adhere to once the series hit its stride. Lieutenant Tragg, the intelligent and sympathetic homicide detective, and Hamilton Burger, the D.A. who would become Mason's principal adversary had not yet been introduced. The police department is still represented by the o
Randy
Fourth book in the Perry Mason series, it was made into a film starring Warren William as Mason in 1934.

Decent mystery, but Gardner hadn't fully developed his characters as yet. Della Street and Paul drake doubt him more than once in the novel. He was just beginning to get his reputation as a master criminal lawyer.

Perry is hired by a man to handle his will - and do something about a howling dog at his neighbor's home!

Questioned extensively about preparing wills, the man wanted to leave his esta
Harold
Perry finally gets into the courtroom in this one. There were no courtroom scenes in the previous (first)three although the lack of a courtroom didn't prevent Perry from cross examining everyone in site. Perry is still in tough guy mode but he's smoothing out a bit. Della is obviously smitten with her boss and Paul Drake is in character from the first book on.

I loved it! The howling dog fits nicely into the mystery and plays an unexpected part in the final twist, which tidily tops off a good mys
Juuli
Teismelisena sai üsna mitut Perry Masoni raamatut loetud, aga huvitaval kombel ei pannud ma aastaid tagasi tähele, kui ülbe see tegelane kohati olla võib.
Lugu on huvitav ja küllaltki põnev.

Ütlusi ja katkeid raamatust:

lk 30
"Siin riigis on täpselt sama palju raha, nagu alati on olnud. See lihtsalt ei ringle samam kiirusega, Seepärast tundubki, et kellelgi raha pole."

lk 93
"Me oleme aru saanud, et selle juhtumi kallal töötamine on teile päris korralikult sisse toonud," ütles Holcomb.
Perry Mason hai
Carol
First, an admission. I never watched the Perry Mason TV series. I know who he was and the general idea of the shows, but this book is my first true meeting with Perry Mason, and I have to say I'm impressed. As a lawyer, he's all for representing his client, even if his actions are sometimes skirting the edge of legal.

The story starts with a client coming to Perry Mason's office to discuss a will and a complaint about a howling dog, but a seemingly simple case leads to murder and it's up to Perry
Robert
It would be difficult to call Erle Stanley Gardner a great writer. It is obvious that he dictated the books and didn't always scrupulously blend the successive dictated sesions. Often the Perry Mason mysteries turn on coincidence and convenience--but that said, nobody could set up a mystery better than Gardner, and the books are fun to read. Also, you can learn a fair amount about the law and legal strategy reading the Masons. The earlier ones (I belive "Howling Dog" was the first) don't quite j ...more
William P.
This is my first Perry Mason novel, and I have to say I love it. It's got everything I enjoy about pulp mysteries and Gardner knew how to write this stuff. I have a sneaking hunch that you could probably pick up any one of the eighty-some-odd novels in this series and have a blast with it. Some of of the mystery is pretty obvious, some of the plot is nutty, but it's fun, it's fast, and it's a great read.
Pallavi
When you read the title of this book it will sound vague, but I must say Erle Stanley Gardner is a great author. The way his hero turns every event into something very different is fabulous. Reading the book of a bygone era in the 21st century is a different experience all-together. The series of events that happen throughout the book is like jumping from 1 to 5. Surprising the reader on the last few pages is one of the great ability of this author. The hero sees something unimportant from the o ...more
Panu Mäkinen
Naapuri väittää, että koira ulvoo, mutta omistaja, että ei ulvo. Tästä kinkkisestä alkuasetelmasta lähtee liikkeelle Erle Stanley Gardnerin neljäs Perry Mason -mysteeri. Pian sekä koira että omistaja löydetään ammuttuina, ja Perry Mason saa puolustettavakseen asiakkaan, joka näyttää olevan korviaan myöten sotkeutunut tapaukseen. Perry Masonin menetelmät asiakkaansa pelastamiseksi ovat Ulvovassa koirassa paljon railakkaammat kuin monessa myöhemmässä romaanissa, joskin keinojen laillisuus punnitaa ...more
Donna
Another early Perry Mason. One of the plot clues I got, the rest left me baffled as usual. Would have given another star except for the degrading depiction of the Chinese cook. Probably acceptable for its day (1935), but outrageous now.
Robyn
KOLL

In looking for a list of Perry Mason mysteries chronologically I accidentally got spoiled on this one, but it was good anyway. The casual racism toward the Chinese cook was painful, I have to hope the opportunity for more doesn't show up in other books in the series.

Will continue to read them at a rate of one per month as my free selection, only wish the first book was available via KOLL, but I'm sure I can get a print copy through the library sometime.

Oddly, as much as I love the show an
Richard Ward
Reading through the Perry Mason novels in order, I liked this one even better than any of the first 3, which I liked a lot. Again this time, Perry Mason is a very different character than he was on TV. He curses some, yells at people to "shut up", doesn't mind intimidating a person physically if need be, and shows clear antagonism toward cops and other government employees. His behaviour in defending his clients blatantly hugs the line between legal and illegal. He deliberately manipulates a jur ...more
False Millennium
I read the first edition published in 1934. You still find the odd spellings from back then: "clews" for clues, lots of racial slurring going on "The Chink Cook," everyone smokes like mad and people still go to speakeasies. The Perry Mason of the early books is much more quick to rise to anger, twist the law, and fly with profanity. Raymond Burr's version seems a tamed beast.
Vesa Ollilainen
Kirja alkoi mielenkiintoisesti - odottomattomat käänteet seurasivat nopeasti toinen toisiaan. Juoni oli todella älykkäästi koostettu, varsinkin koiran ulvonta oli juonen kannalta avainasemassa. Lopussa tarina sai kuitenkin melko uskomattomia käänteitä. Erityisesti Perry Masonin ongelmanratkaisukyky oli jo liian utopistista. Myös käännöstyö oli joissain paikoin huolimatonta.
Rebecca
Content - Interesting premise. A very early Perry Mason.

Mechanics - There were pacing problems where Perry philosophizes about the law which slowed the story right where it should have been picking up pace. Della's character is more soppy in this one than anything else.

Squeaky Clean? - A few bad words.
Shivangi Tiwari
Dean Anderson
I've watched much of the Raymond Burr serious, but this is the first Perry Mason book I've read. The book was on par with the series for sexism (secretary Della Street is a "girl"), but the racism quotient is higher (the Chinese cook is a "chink".) Perry in the book, as opposed to the TV series, is even more willing to skate near or cross over the line of the law for his client. And surprisingly, the murderer does not stand up and confess in the final dramatic courthouse scene ("And I'd got away ...more
Sean Hill
Early Perry Mason courtroom drama

Fun to read early Perry Mason and watch the character evolve. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Freya
This was a rather interesting one. Mason pulls out a lot of aces from his sleeve through the story. Though the culprit is finally not named or punished. I'd have liked that.
Lorraine Carmouche
Perry Rocks

I grew up reading these books. They're intelligent, well written, and you can't help but picture the cast from the tv show. I love these books, but younger readers will probably get bored.
Michele bookloverforever
if you thought the TV series was good then you should give the books a try. excellent plotting and a twist to the ending.
Susan Clingman
I had never read his books, but was familiar with the TV series and movies. Obviously different than the shows, but great nonetheless.
Walt Carlson
A terrific mystery with a thrilling courtroom scene, this is the best Perry Mason book yet.
Ed
#4 in the Perry Mason. In this superior series entry, the question is does the dog howl and if so, why?

Perry Mason is hired by Arthur Cartright to get his neighbor's dog to stop howling and to advise on a will. The neighbor says the dog never howled, his wife (apparently really Cartright's wife) disappears - supposedly with Cartright - and he and his dog are discovered shot to death. Perry plays fast and loose with homicide to defend his new client.
Edward Butler
Flawed, dated, but interesting for its differences from the television series. Be warned that there is persistent racist language used toward a Chinese character.
Srikkanthan
Perry mason never disappoints. Interesting read.
Bruce Baker
a bit disjointed in the solution. Perhaps it would seem better if I read it a second time.

Early in the series. No Burger yet. No Trask either.
Mazeli Dee
Epic ending! Grabe, galing talaga. :D
Luís
Another Perry Manson story style. What i didn't like about this book and made me give 3 starts it's that used a lot of the formula from the other books and i didn't feel that had something new.

Althought that, a competent work that will be a good read to the people who like the genre.
Cathy Houston
a good Perry Mason puzzle
  • Woman in the Dark
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • And Be a Villain  (Nero Wolfe, #13)
  • Neon Mirage (Nathan Heller, #4)
  • Seafire (John Gardner's Bond, #14)
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • My Name is Abu Salem
  • Phoenix Noir
  • An Instinct for Trouble (Nancy Drew: Files, #95)
  • Walking Shadow (Spenser, #21)
  • The Prisoner

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Lame Canary
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series)

“appraisal was evident in his glance. “Well, then,” he said, “let’s hear about” 0 likes
“Clinton Foley is living?” “Of course he’s living. He’s living next door” 0 likes