Start by marking “The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1689” as Want to Read:
The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1689

The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1689 (The Norton History of Modern Europe #2)

Beginning with Seamus Heaney's brilliant new translation of Beowulf, and continuing through ten centuries of remarkable literature to the contemporary works of Derek Walcott, J. M. Coetzee, Nadine Gordimer, and Salman Rushdie, the new Major Authors edition is a library between two covers—an indispensable addition to the family bookshelf.

Unknown Binding, 244 pages
Published January 1st 1970 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1689, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1689

Rindis
Jul 11, 2009 Rindis rated it liked it
Part of the Norton History of Modern Europe series, this is a good introductory history of a fairly turbulent period written in 1970. I’ll note that the series was apparently reorganized later, as there is a 1979 version of the book that runs to 1715 instead of 1689.

The book starts with the end of international conflict, and runs through the internal crises that beset most of Europe in the later sixteenth century. In so doing, it lays some groundwork that would have helped me with parts of Braud
Alex
Feb 19, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting re-read, having been required background reading in college. A very accessible primer on some of the dynamics shaping history and culture in early modern Europe, with particular focus on confessional conflicts and their political ramifications.
Rick
Jun 29, 2015 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kind of torn in my ranking between a 3 and a 4, a 3.5 would be most appropriate. It's well written and is a good survey-type of history of 16th and 17th century Europe. This is the kind of book that will interest more or less only those who are inclined toward history in the first place, but I would say that it's quite readable considering the genre. The author is a bit overly obsessed with the France/England dynamic, and indeed devotes an entire chapter to these two growing empires. My pe ...more
Alexandra Bartkoske
Jul 12, 2014 Alexandra Bartkoske rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Alexandra by: My teacher
I had to read this book for an AP Euro summer assignment, and I can honestly say that this is by far the most boring book I have ever read. Don't get me wrong, I love history, but The Age of Religious Wars by Dunn was too lengthy and unnecessarily wordy. I was able to get a fairly detailed summary written in about three or four pages. The book also did not go chronologically, which made the book even more of a pain to read. There were countless errors in grammar throughout the book. It was much ...more
Timothy
Good again, although I preferred the previous volume's balance among different types of history. This one put a heavier emphasis on political developments and seemed to address social and intellectual developments as an afterthought. One welcome addition was more attention to eastern Europe.
Robert
Jul 07, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading history this summer. It started with the Tudors. I decided to read about the religious wars that started with the Reformation. Fascinating period of time.
Amy Edwards
Good spine book for the study of European history in the time period.
Charlie
Great! A little dragged out at the end.
Rob Shurmer
Exceptionally well-written survey. Scholarly and informative without being overly dense. What is lacks, though, is any mention of historiographical argument.
Jul 26, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Serves its purpose. Would have been better with about 100 pages edited out.
Rachel
This is the sort of three star book that I only rated 3 stars because I have no idea how else to rate it. I've never read a book like this before.
Lauren Hopkins
Lauren Hopkins rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
David Saxon
David Saxon rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Asther
Asther rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Taylor Parker
Taylor Parker rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
ilikeboox
ilikeboox rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Eli Baker
Eli Baker rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Shahram
Shahram rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2009
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Beth Luebbe
Beth Luebbe rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2009
Slv17
Slv17 rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2007
Bill Slover
Bill Slover rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count and add it is Second Edition 3 9 May 30, 2017 05:59PM
Help...? 1 2 Jul 06, 2014 07:58AM
  • The foundations of early modern Europe, 1460-1559 (The norton History of modern Europe, #1)
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant
  • Shamans Through Time
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • The Fable of the Bees and Other Writings
  • Is Anyone There?
  • A Short History of the World
  • Alone of All Her Sex: The Myth and the Cult of the Virgin Mary
  • The Military Revolution: Military Innovation and the Rise of the West, 1500-1800
  • The Treasure of the City of Ladies
  • A History of the English-Speaking Peoples Since 1900
  • Days of War, Nights of Love: Crimethink for Beginners
  • Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and StickYou with the Bill)
  • The Child Buyer
  • Three Negro Classics
  • The Penguin History of Medieval Europe

The Norton History of Modern Europe (7 books)
  • Kings and Philosophers, 1689-1789
  • Eighteenth-Century Europe: Tradition and Progress, 1715-1789
  • The Age of Revolution and Reaction, 1789-1850
  • The Age of Nationalism and Reform, 1850-1890 (Second Edition) (The Norton History of Modern Europe)