Start by marking “What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  30 reviews
She was a woman of confidence, focus, and passion, and it made her one of the world's greatest sources of inspiration and influence. She drew on a remarkable wealth of self-knowledge and a sense of purpose to cope with extraordinary public demands and overwhelming private needs. How can anyone emulate Jackie?

What Jackie Taught Us offers Jackie's own personal lessons about
Published April 5th 2005 by Perigee Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What Jackie Taught Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Jackie Taught Us

Khamneithang Vaiphei
What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis by Tina Santi Flaherty is a wonderful tribute to Jackie. Though she was a character with a flawed personality as we all are, she was a wonderful human-being, who added much charm, aura and glamor to the Kennedy family. Most often, what we read about Jackie used to come from the rumor-mill but reading this book without that chirpy and gossipy feeling is a nice change.

Tina Santi Flaherty has done a commendable jo
Jan 04, 2008 Kristen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone interested in a brief review of Jackie
Recommended to Kristen by: TV show
Disappointed because it did not meet my expectations. It could have been written by someone who has read press releases. No new or personal information. Did not even seem to be that "educational".
I really went back and forth between 3 or 4 stars but decided on a 4 because Jackie Kennedy is just a fascinating person. I didn't know too much about her besides the obvious big things. But this book isn't a chronological order of her life. It is separated into characteristics Jackie Kennedy had that we can learn from. Some characteristics I skimmed through because I wasn't as interested in them but some I really enjoyed. So if you are looking for a chronological biography of Jackie this isn't ...more
Dogsmom Laura
Jul 15, 2015 Dogsmom Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history, fashion, public personalities
Shelves: nonfiction-2015
I really would like to give this 3.5 stars. I was quite young during the Kennedy era, and fashion and politics were not in my interest circles yet. However it was impossible not to be touched by America's royal family.

Reading this as an adult I am fascinated by details and influences that had touched me even while I did not notice them as a child. Of course the older women in my life did notice Jackie's style and poise.
She was an example to women all over the world, and of all ages and income l
Type: {Commuter Read: format lends easily to starting/ stopping.}
Rating: {Me Likey: Enjoyable! Particularly for fans of this genre.}

Why You’re Reading It:
- You are a Kennedy fan who want another insight into Camelot
- You want to know more about Jackie O.

What I Thought:

Though not a biography, this book has plenty of information about Jackie Kennedy Onassis’s life. In fact, the subtitle to the book is: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Split up into easily readable ch
Jessica Jang
This book was a nice insight into the life of Jackie O. It was a very fast and easy read. I am a big fan and I'd like to think we are "kindred spirits" in our quests for knowledge. To be honest though, I thought that I would learn more about her life in general, that you couldn't just get from Wikipedia or somewhere. Although, I do think this book looks at her as an inspiration and would be a great self-help book for any young lady that picked it up.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is, "
This is what I have learned from this book:
Image is everything.
Nothing is more alluring then portraying a sense of mystery.
It makes me wonder. Is putting up a good front the same as being phony?
This book contradicts itself, just as she did on so many occasions.Was she confident or insecure? I'm guessing that she, like the rest of us were a combination of both. That doesn't make her the heroine that the press wanted us to believe. That makes her human.
Like life itself, this book started out with
I have been a fan of Jackie Kennedy Onassis for years and really wanted to dive into her story a little deeper. Of the many books written about Jackie I chose this one because it juxtaposed her story with some very valuable lesssons. It certainly shows how her character, courage and strength came about throughout her life. Her relationship with her parents and upbringing seemed to really be her foundation for the milestones and events that were to later mark her life.

She did leave behind many l
Inspirational read for all. Learned a lot about Jackie I hadn't known before. My admiration for her has definitely grown. Powerful lady with a strong sense of self and great determination against all odds.
Victoria Greer
The premise of this book is interesting. However the book is not well written. The book was repetitive, choppy and even confusing at times.
Not only was this a short and fast read this book did a excellent job of showing the person that Jackie was and still touches the lives of so many people when she was alive and even in death. This book also truly reflects her personalty by sharing some details of her life that I never knew. The pictures of Jackie at the start of each Chapter just add to the kind of person she was from fun and very determined lady, To a person who embraces culture and shared with others to a fun loving mother and ...more
Jenny B
There is something to be learned from her grace under fire!
Mimi Nothacker
Informative and inspiring.
I loved this book. It was fascinating to read about Jacqueline Kennedy's life. The author's organization of the book made it more enjoyable than a chronological biography - each chapter is categorized by a trait that Jackie possessed that we can learn from (style, vision, courage, motherhood, etc.) then the chapter is full of stories & quotes from throughout her life. I learned so much & I am really inspired by her life. I highly recommend this book.
If you love Jackie, you'll think it's okay. If not, it's not really worth reading.
I started this book, excited to read more about Jackie and her life and things to be learned from her. The author, however, jumps from one topic to another, and makes sweeping conclusions without any specific evidence or clear indication of why those conclusions are made. It felt more like a series of comments by a casual observer rather than any true glimpse into Jackie's life or what made her tick.
Jo Nipper

I rated five stars as this is best compilation/overview of all periods of Jackie's life in one book. Few incidents new; however, enjoyed so much reading again, being reminded what a positive influence she exerted over individuals, U.S. And international peoples. Truly, her own person. Her legacy withstands time.
Ashani Nuka
I've read a lot of JFK biographies so it was interesting to learn a little more about Jackie. However, the writing was really simplistic and rather boring. The "what she taught us" portion at the end of every chapter was also really annoying and rather condescending.
I liked the approach to this book, and did learn some new things. I would've been more interested if the author wrote more about her relationship with Jackie. I did learn some new things, and will probably try this angle of writing a biography myself.
Kathy Kernan
All of the grace and intelligence of this woman shines through in this book. Reading this book gave me a deeper insight into her life while allowing me to recapture the mood of America during The Camelot Years.
I'n all fairness I love most books on Jackie. This book highlights her grace under fire and how she "dealt" with being "Jackie! The book is a light & fluffy but still a good read.
Kind of trite. I did, however, learn a lot about the life and character of Jackie O. I respect her even more now--for who she was, not just for her amazing sense of style.
Jul 10, 2007 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: entertaining
I love looking at the life of Jackie Kennedy... she truly was a woman of class. This book is an easy and fast read... cuts to the chase...
This is a wonderful book about how Jackie face the good of life and the bad and tips for us to make life more enjoyable.
I fealt like I was reading a college paper. The writing was amateurish and repetitive. The pictures were excellent though.
Disappointed. I felt like it never got past her image and into the real meat and potatoes of what she contributed to our country.
There was nothing new in this text...I found much of it repetitive, and not terribly insightful.
Anne Marie
I thought this would be a little "fluffy" and it was. But to be fair, I did learn some things.
Give this to your
daughters! nieces! granddaughters! any young lady that you know!
Jessica T.
I love the picture of her on the plane reading on the road...
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • Sweet Caroline: Last Child of Camelot
  • Mona Lisa in Camelot: Jacqueline Kennedy and the True Story of the Painting's High-Stakes Journey to America
  • Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum
  • America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Nemesis: The True Story of Aristotle Onassis, Jackie O, and the Love Triangle That Brought Down the Kennedys
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis