Start by marking “From Hinton to Hamlet: Building Bridges between Young Adult Literature and the Classics” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The required classics in grades 7-12 are often too complex and removed from adolescent experience. This informative text uses thematic groupings built around recent young adult literature (YAL) as bridges to the classics. This second edition, which the authors have revised and greatly expanded, emphasizes the goal of helping teenagers become lifetime readers, as well as cr ...more
Hardcover, Revised and Expanded Second Edition, 256 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Greenwood Press (first published May 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about From Hinton to Hamlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Hinton to Hamlet

Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
I have the second, revised and expanded edition on hold at the library. This one needs to be retired as it is HORRENDOUSLY out of date!!! It repeated the same 20 book recommendations ad nauseam, for all different kinds of themes and genres. It got repetitive, far too phony and didn't have nearly enough analytical material or real-life examples of young adult lit juxtaposed with classic lit. Not enough by far. I am going to read the next edition and rate it separately. What can I say, I'm an eter ...more
Kandi Massey
This book is a wealth of information for English teachers. It provides thematic ties so you are able to pair classic works with modern young adult novels. I will be referring to this constantly with my classes!
jacky
Mar 28, 2008 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to jacky by: Alicia Hunter
Shelves: education
This is a cool book that takes classics and then gives YA literature that has the same themes. A fellow teacher used it for Great Gatsby and I am going to use it for Huck Finn.
Sara
Jan 07, 2012 Sara marked it as to-read
I am temporarily abandoning this book because my library only has the first edition (1996), and the titles recommended are too out of date. Will someday read the second edition.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 29, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: English teachers
This is a great resource book for identifying ways in which students can bridge the gap between contemporary literature to the canon. I loved it!
Maggie Thomson
Read this book for Great YA connections to the classics!!! Great to get students to relate to readings!
Kelly
This book has so many suggestions and resources! I definitely recommend it to future teachers!
Mary Alise Herrera
Definitely need the more current edition! I skipped a lot.
Brady
Brady added it
Mar 05, 2015
Marybeth
Marybeth marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Briana Gilbert
Briana Gilbert is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Erika
Erika added it
Oct 27, 2014
Molly Kiesig
Molly Kiesig marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
May 17, 2014
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2014
Leah Phillips
Leah Phillips marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Melissa Mcavoy
Melissa Mcavoy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Taylor Troncin
Taylor Troncin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014