Start by marking “The Church Mice at Bay” as Want to Read:
The Church Mice at Bay

The Church Mice at Bay (The Church Mice #6)

Published October 1st 1995 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Church Mice at Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church Mice at Bay

Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeHalf Magic by Edward EagerThe Moffats by Eleanor EstesBetsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
The Out-of-Print/Backlist Challenge
63rd out of 199 books — 57 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Cat Lovers List
238th out of 722 books — 347 voters

More lists with this book...

The Brothers
Jan 22, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: cats, churches, humor, mice
I wanted to read The Church Mice (first book in the series) first but I couldn't find it at our library, so we checked this one out.

A very fun story of the church mice and Sampson (church cat) dealing with a visiting curate while their own vicar goes on vacation. They don't like this new man, so the devise a plan to get him to leave, but it goes horribly awry.

Excellent, fun illustrations!
Eyehavenofilter
Mar 08, 2013 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Sampson, Arthur and Humphrey have to contend with AA substitute vicar when their beloved friend goes on vacation. But this particular pillar of the church hates mice so the crew is in for a wee bit of conflict, for the fur covers pals. Dispute the problems they group knows that this is only temporary and they must brave the storm thill their beloved vicar returns, but what happens in the mean time makes for are wild and eventful tale...Ed... Tail.
Karen L.
May 17, 2008 Karen L. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 5 and up
Recommended to Karen L. by: My husband
This was so cute and funny! I love these stories about Samson the church cat and his mice friends, who inhabit the local Wortlethorpe church and vicarage In this one the Vicar goes on holiday and the substitute curate is a wild hippie type who makes noise in the church and hates mice. As usual the illustrations are colorful, detailed and will delight both child and adult.
Kathleen Dixon
May 02, 2011 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, humour
Vicars do have to have holidays, and last year the curate who filled in was a nice quiet chap. Not so this year. Not only is he basically a hippy (!) but he can't stand mice. Life is pretty tough for our favourite mice and their tame cat. For a while.
Logan
May 09, 2015 Logan rated it it was amazing
Of the first 6 books in the Church mice series, this was the funniest for us. And for me, Logan's mom, the 1970s clothes and goings-on only made it funnier.
Polly
Oh, how I love the Church Mice. And what could be better than a guitar-playing, Yoga-doing, mouse-hating hippie curate as their adversary?
Catherine
Jul 06, 2011 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: max
I love this series of picture books. They are unfortunately out of print but the Seattle Library has several of the books.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Betsy Gant
Betsy Gant rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Matthew Murray
Matthew Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Kayla
Kayla added it
Jun 05, 2016
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sus
Sus added it
Apr 18, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Saklani
Saklani rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Rachel Cross
Rachel Cross marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Literary Relish
Literary Relish marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Dubs
Dubs marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Fossilresin
Fossilresin marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Anna Milan
Anna Milan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Graham Oakley is a children's book author and illustrator, most active during the 1960s to 1980s. He is best known for the Church Mice series and also illustrated many book covers in the 60s.

For the current UK author of children's books at Top That! press see Graham Oakley.
More about Graham Oakley...

The Church Mice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Church Mouse
  • The Church Cat Abroad (Picturemac)
  • The Church Mice And The Moon (Picturemac)
  • The Church Mice Spread Their Wings