Start by marking “She: Understanding Feminine Psychology” as Want to Read:
She: Understanding Feminine Psychology

She: Understanding Feminine Psychology

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,032 ratings  ·  50 reviews
What does it mean to be a woman? What is the pathway to mature femininity? And what of the masculine components of a woman's personality? Robert A. Johnson explores these questions in this new edition of She, updated to reflect the growth of his thinking on these subjects.

Many writers and scholars have long considered that the ancient myth of Amor and Psyche is really the
Paperback, Revised Edition, 96 pages
Published November 1st 1989 by Harper Perennial (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about She, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She

Mar 17, 2010 Jenny added it
There were moments when I thought Johnson was really on to something, but overall I couldn't relate an iota to the "femininity" posed in this book and, in fact, felt offended by it at times. This could be due to my surface-level reading of the book, but it could also have to do with the fact that Johnson tries to summarize feminine psychology in a mere 80 pages- missing opportunity after opportunity to present concrete modern examples of his interpretation of this Greek myth. Alas, true to my co ...more
A book about feminine psychology written by a man and using a man-centric pscyhological interpretation: enough said. I've always been drawn to the myth of Psyche and Eros, so I found, especially the intial, symbolic interpretations interesting. But some parts of the book made me want to scream and were vaguely reminiscent of "The Fascinating Woman." So read with a grain of salt- you HAVE been warned.

از مقدمه ی سخت و غیر جذاب! مترجم و ترجمه ی نه چندان مناسب کتاب که صرف نظر کنیم، خود کتاب یکی از بهترین هاست! کتاب با نگاهی به اسطوره ی سایکی و اروس به روانشناسی و تحلیل زن درون بر اساس رویکردهای یونگ می پردازد. کتاب شامل 9 بخش است. 3 بخش اول کتاب به تحلیل سه شخصیت محوری اسطوره آفرودیت، سایکی و اروس اختصاص دارد. در فصول بعدی دکتر جانسون به روانشناسی مرحله به مرحله ی این اسطوره می پردازد و در فصل 8 با بررسی و تحلیل خوان های پیش روی سایکی کتاب به اوج خود می رسد و نهایتا در فصل 9 تحلیل های مطرح شده
A short read assembled by a Jungian psychologist type fellow. Overall pretty flaky and shallow. Idea herein is that the Greco-Roman character Psyche and her associated tale of love w/ Eros is actually a template for feminine behavior and personal evolution. The book reads pretty much like a horoscope and as such is not terribly interesting or full of impact (or win, if you're a hip nerdcore kid).

Apparently, this same author has written a similar tome for males based upon Ares. Most likely won't
Nancy Lewis
An interesting essay, but still slightly subjugative. I wonder if it's because of the author's personal views, or a sign of the time in which the book was written. Was 1989 really that long ago? There is a companion book called "He" (of course).
Humaira Khatoon
A book about feminine psychology written by a man and using a man-centric pscyhological interpretation.An interesting essay, but still slightly subjugative.
Will Bellais
Aug 09, 2007 Will Bellais rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All who are interested in women
This slim volume focuses on the story of Cupid (eros) and Psyche. Eros is the need for love and Psyche is the spirit of love. Johnson explores the maturing process of women through the story of Eros and Psyche. The story enchants on its own -- and we have heard much of this story through the Grimm Bros. fairytales. However, once we meed Eros, the perfect man who does not want to be seen for what he really is, Eros' mother Aphrodite, and the most beautiful girl on earth -- Psyche -- we are taken ...more
Well, I still don't understand Feminine Psychology, but I enjoyed reading the book. Another notch in the belt of Jungian thought. One of these days I expect to have an awakening when it will all suddenly make sense to me. Till then I continue to plug away at reading – building a foundation I hope. This one looks at the myth of Eros and Psyche as a metaphor for the spiritual journey every woman faces.
She: Understanding Feminine Psychology is an interesting book for readers that are intrigued by philosophy, psychology, mythology. Johnson relates feminine psychology to the Greek myth of Eros (Cupid) and Psyche to show the similarities between modern and ancient times, as well as the surprising authenticity and relevance of this myth.

The myth deals with Psyche, a young, lonely daughter of a royal family that ends up falling in love with Cupid, the son of the very jealous Aphrodite. She has no
Shavawn Berry
In this book, She: Understanding Feminine Psychology, Robert A. Johnson examines the myth of Eros and Psyche as a metaphor for the work a woman must do to become conscious and alive. I found the the story illuminating and surprising -- full of magical events (ants sorting seeds, reeds giving advice on how to gather the golden fleece, an eagle who is sent to gather water from the river Styx)-- and down to earth explanations of the difficult passage that Psyche must make in order to become conscio ...more
Don't be fooled by the book's small size. She: Understanding Feminine Psychology packs a powerful and frighteningly applicable punch. Delving deep into Greek mythology (particularly the tale of Psyche), Robert A. Johnson reveals how age-old stories contain universal truths. The work draws parallels to modern-day situations, and in effect, sheds light on the psychological and emotional issues that are prevalent in contemporary society. The information is useful to both men and women alike, since ...more
Oct 08, 2015 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Erin by: Sabrina
While this book was good in that it was validating to my inner work experiences and spiritual journey, it wasn't as poignant or clarifying for me as his other book on the divine masculine called "He". Perhaps because of my own long-term suppression of my feminine aspects and thus lack of familiarity with that part of myself, I need to do more reading to get further clarity and really have the allegory provided in this book sink in. There were points in the allegory, the myth of Psyche and Aphrod ...more
Female mythology as an element of our lives is found in men and women. "Myths are rich sources of psychological insight. Great literature, like all great art, records and portrays the human condition with indelible accuracy."

"Often when new growth occurs , the most dreadful things seem to happen, but then we see that they were exactly what was required." 6
"It is almost always women who say, 'Let's sit down and talk about where we are.' The women are almost always the carrier of growth in most re
Dylan Grant
I have read the prequel to this book, "He: Understanding Masculine Psychology" and greatly enjoyed it. So when I saw this book it was only natural that I pick it up!

This book, much like it's prequel, is extremely short and sweet and can easily be read in a day. It's a work of Jungian psychology (my favourite kind!) so it looks at a myth (In this one, the myth of Psyche and Eros) and demonstrates how that myth has profound insight on our internal lives. I felt that the prequel, dealing with men,
Headley Mist
Can not think of a better review of this book than this quotation:

Pronunciation -- think of Psyche!
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won't it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It's a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.

Kind of reflects the plot.
He, She, and We are three parts of a whole that take you on a journey which navigates the recognition and integration of the male and female psyche in each of us. I was turned on to these by Dr. Gentz who is a practicing psychologist in Tulsa Oklahoma. My partner and I read them at the same time. We found that parts of these books were better absorbed on the second reading.
Amy Wilder
Johnson uses the myth of Cupid and Psyche to explore feminine psychology - perhaps the first time that anyone had put it into so many words for me that each woman has a masculine side to her soul and each man has a feminine part to his soul.

This deepened my connection to Cupid and Psyche which just kept popping up everywhere for me around this time in my life.
If you intend to read this, be sure to read He as well.

This book tells the myth of "Eros & Psyche" which is actually one of my favorite Greek stories! This hits the spot. I truly enjoyed this much more than the He version simply because I was very familiar with this story.

The myth focus on Jung's analysis of anima/animus -- the masculine side of a female person is called animus.

Take with a grain of salt, this book is enjoyable and the analysis is great way of allowing us to gain a perspecti
more like 3.5 stars. It was interesting the interpretation of the Psyche, Eros, Aphrodite myth. I also enjoyed some insights re: the female influence over the male influence.
Matias Cumsille
― Robert A. Johnson

This is a short, sweet, and wonderful book. Using the power of mythology, it helped to explain to me the Psyche of a woman. It conjures up strong images of Greek gods that translated into deep esoteric ideas of Femininity. with only 79 pages, it can be read in a single night. To
Yet another book from my "Psych of Identity" class. About the feminine archetype in psychology.
Jun 27, 2009 Cara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: life
Just couldn't get into this one. Disappointing after what a revelation We was.
a must-read for any woman overwhelmed by falling in love
Lisa Stewart
A narrow and occasionally offensive reduction of women that purports to be an analysis of the female psyche. What it is, is a reasonably interesting interpretation of the myth of Psyche and Eros. I would be giving it more stars if the author had been honest about what this short book actually is. Instead he makes sweeping conclusions about femininity (but only in relation to masculinity, because the female psyche is valued only by reference to what it can do for men, apparently), based on his su ...more
I don't think i could have accessed this book reasonably well without being steeped in Jungian thought and, particularly, having found John Gray's "Mars and Venus on a Date" highly illuminating first. I can't say the entire book was relatable for me, but i did appreciate Johnson's metaphors and articulations very much. Highly recommended, with reservations. Inasmuch as i can follow it down, it is brilliant.
Adrian Astur Alvarez
A deceptively simple book. Robert Johnson uses a Jungian analysis of the story of Psyche and Eros to explore notions of the feminine psyche and it's operation in human behavior. It is a slim book and so, a slim project, but a worthwhile one and certainly worth the time it takes a reader to digest his ideas. Are they male-centric ideas, as some critics have suggested? I'm yet to read a compelling argument that proves Johnson's short "project books" (She, He, We, and Owning Your Own Shadow) someho ...more
В принципе, неплохое эссе на тему. Древнегреческие мифы (миф о Психее), авторские размышления около, современность и юнгианская психология - своеобразные сказки для взрослых, где субъективность накладывается на искажения временем и пространством. Читать поэтому вполне занятно: можно и подумать, и поспорить, однако, небольшой объем способствует этому не в полной мере.
erich fromm already did this long ago (amor and psyche). read that one instead. i can't say i particularly cared for that one either, but it has it's redeeming moments (much like his mentor jung's work on women-- in between cringes i find a few snippets that i can get behind).
The story of Aphrodite, Eros and Psyche and how this Greek Mythological story relates to women today.
Laurel Kathleen
This was like a slice of "Goddesses in Everywoman", but it didn't resonate quite as strongly with me.
  • Addiction to Perfection: The Still Unravished Bride: A Psychological Study (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 12)
  • The Goddess Within: A Guide to the Eternal Myths that Shape Women's Lives
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • Gods in Everyman
  • Descent to the Goddess: A Way of Initiation for Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 6)
  • A Little Book on the Human Shadow
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling
  • Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 73)
  • Symbols of Transformation (Collected Works 5)
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit, Psychology, Therapy
  • Invisible Partners
Robert A. Johnson is a noted lecturer and Jungian analyst in private practice in San Diego, California. He has studied at the Jung Institute in Switzerland and at the Sri Aurobindo Ashram in India.
More about Robert A. Johnson...

“ is almost always the case that whatever has wounded you will also be instrumental in your healing.” 20 likes
“Most men get their deepest conviction of self-worth from a woman, wife, mother, or if they are highly conscious, from their own anima. The woman sees and shows the man his value by lighting the lamp.” 6 likes