Start by marking “The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck (Potter 23 Tales, Book 9)” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck (Potter 23 Tales,  Book 9)

The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,459 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
Searching for a convenient nesting-place, befuddled Jemima Puddle-Duck chooses a fox's den.
Published September 1st 1987 by Frederick Warne (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck

Manny
Mar 07, 2011 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There's a scene in the movie Heartburn where Jack Nicholson is reading this book to his very young daughter. He finishes it, and sits there stunned for a second. Then he shakes his head and whistles. "Whew! What a story!"

I concur :)
_______________________________________

The plot of Jemima Puddleduck is remarkable similar to that of many trashy French crime novels. I consider this further in my review of Les Stripteaseuses du Petit Ecran.
Caroline
May 20, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child, but that was a gazillion years ago. Thanks to a friend sending me a link again today, I got the chance to enjoy it again, this time on-line. It was incredibly interesting too, in some instances Beatrix Potter's animal and bird-centric perspective makes one feel a bit uncomfortable. Nature (& mankind's) harsher realities are not avoided. What a rewarding read.

PS ....and those illustrations....

Skylar Burris
Oct 26, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Your average child in the early 1900's must have had considerably more advanced vocabulary expectations than your average child today. I'm always amazed by the complexity of these Potter stories compared to modern children's stories, although this one is slightly simpler than the others.

This is one of my daughter's favorite Beatrix Potter stories. Of course. There is a sinister threat involved, and potential death, and destruction. That sort of thing always manages to hold her interest. Beware
Afro Madonna
Aug 07, 2015 Afro Madonna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Awwwn. This was so fun to read. I missed reading children's books and picked this one off the library shelf as I thought Jemima Puddle-duck looked really dashing and ladylike in her bonnet and all her 'duckery '. Might start rereading a lot of children's books now. Ah, the nostalgia.
GoldGato
Jemima Puddle-Duck, a duck before her time, wants to hatch her own eggs. While her sister-in-law is quite happy to bypass such a rigorous job, Jemima is adamant...her eggs, her hatching. She leaves the safety of the farm to find a special nesting spot, but this liberated ducky runs into a foxy gentleman who is not quite the good samaritan as she believes him to be.

Allen Atkinson is the illustrator for this edition of the Potter classic. Such a wonderful talent who died so young, his Peter Rabbit
Ladiibbug
#9 Peter Rabbit children's series

Ooooh, this charmed me from the cover -- cutie pie Jemima Puddle-Duck with her baby blue bonnet and pink shawl. I spent an extra hour after reading, ooh'ing and ahhh-ing over the wonderful artwork. I could easily keep this on my bedside table and immerse myself in the art & story.

Absolutely loved the innocent Jemima Puddle-Duck happily walking along with the nattily dressed fox.

Somehow as a child I missed reading the Peter Rabbit books. In 2017, I plan to rea
monica ♪
Very short, cute and entertaining read
A good choice to get out of my reading slump. LOL
Fantasy♥Magic♥Love
Sep 20, 2015 Fantasy♥Magic♥Love rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatrix Potter Fans or Animal Classic Readers
A sly, cunning fox and a too-trusting Puddle-Duck Jemima cross paths in an unexpected way..
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Fatema
May 25, 2015 Fatema rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't trust the strangers, don't let their look cheats you.
Janis
Mar 10, 2016 Janis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another treasure by Beatrix Potter.
Kristi Gatti
Jul 15, 2008 Kristi Gatti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We just went through some boxes and I found this book.
I remember being stunned at the ending. Is there a moral? Maybe "don't trust anyone". If you need to give your kids a reality check...read this. No Hollywood ending here.
Maria Eleynita
What does the fox says!! Hahaha. Oh oh the when there is fox involved you know what always happens. Hmm that sly fox. tsk tsk. Poor Jemima.
Krista
My family received this book as a gift from a family member who found it at a garage sale.

I have very mixed feelings about this book.
I have always adored Beatrix Potter. I find most of her work, tales and art, her to be very beautiful and inspirational. This story struck me as quite sad and a bit off featuring duck who keeps loosing her children before they are hatched and a conniving, trickster fox who plans to eat her. In the end the fox meets his end, Jamima finally hatches a few of her eggs
Barbara
Mar 19, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always liked this story but until reading it today I never looked at the deeper story. poor Jemima wants desperately to have a family of her own but her eggs are always taken off her so she goes away to find a safe place to have her family however she comes across mr fox who seems so kind to lend her his house but appears to have annother motive. he gets her to collect herbs for an omelet. in the end he gets chased away but sadly her eggs still get eaten. it still has a nice ending where the f ...more
Joff!
Nov 02, 2015 Joff! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a special emotional attachment to this story as amongst my daughter's first words were "cuddle duck" which was her attempt at pronouncing the title. Anyway, the story itself is extremely famous but it's not the happy fairy-tale one might expect. It's a rather dark, maybe even upsetting tale of Jemima who is a rather unfortunate and easily-lead little duck. I like the 'real-life' feeling this gives though and also that we can perhaps learn to sympathise for those less fortunate than oursel ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the Beatrix Potter series of books, with a copyright date of 1908 and color illustrations.

Jemima Puddle-Duck wants to hatch her own eggs rather than having the farmer take them and hatch them in an incubator. She flies away from the farm to find a place where she can lay and hatch her eggs in privacy and finds a clear place in a woods.

There's a tree stump in the area and an animal sitting on it, reading the newspaper. The animal offers her a place to stay and make a nest. It
Rauf
Jul 24, 2009 Rauf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: children, weekend, fiction
Jemima Puddleduck wanted to hatch her own eggs. Luckily, a kind Fox she met in the woods knew the perfect place for her to do so: his house. Anyone could see the Fox was up to no good but not Jemima. So she went to the Fox's everyday and nothing happened because the Fox was biding his time.
Jemima told her whole situation to her friend a collie named Kep. And when Jemima left for the Fox's house one day (carrying with her some nice herbs; the Fox's order. They were for an omelette he was going to
Meg McGregor
A very nice story about a duck who wants to find a quiet place to lay her eggs.

Beatrix Potter was an amazing author and illustrator.

But I do have to say that Jemima Puddle-Duck is way too trusting of others!

Perhaps, in Ms. Potter's world, trust goes farther, than in our world.

I think that little ones should be prepared for the part where the puppies get ahold of her eggs. That could be a little disconcerting for young readers!
Jazz
Apr 22, 2014 Jazz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potter's stories are just as funny and scary as I remember them from childhood. Poor Jemima learns she can't even rely on her saviors to refrain from eating her family. She doesn't seem to mind much, as she is happy with her new set of ducklings the following season. Potter's animals live in a strange world populated by humans, but rather different from them. Her illustrations are simple yet gorgeous, and even unnerving in a humorous way.
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

This is the third and last of the Beatrix Potter books that I have selected to review for the site. This tale of the trusting Duck who just wants to bring up her own eggs is a touching story about trusting the wrong people. A don’t trust strangers story.

I think that this version of the book is very accessible for anyone young or old who would like to learn from this story. I love the fact that the dogs go and save her from Mr Fox.

I w
Mimi
Mar 25, 2012 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-children
One thing I love about Beatrix Potter's books is that they almost seem like they are for adults in how she has not glossed over country life at all. And perhaps that is more a sign of the time than her trying to write for adults. Perhaps there was no point in making country life (animal life) more gentle back then, because all children were aware of the realities of country living. For instance, in this story, the whole time we are following Jemima's desire to be a mother and then her eggs are h ...more
A.C. Bauch
I liked the shaped board format of this book, and my son seemed to enjoy the visual interest it added. I've always loved Beatrix Potter's stories and the books' detailed, colorful illustrations. Like many of her works, this story is deceptively simple, with much subtext. Although straightforward children's books are great too, sometimes it's nice to engage with one that has levels of meaning.
Mirjam
Sep 24, 2015 Mirjam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was rather grim. First a mother is denied the right to foster her own children, then she's conned - very easily I'll admit - into almost getting stuffed and roasted, a fate which she escapes only for her rescuers to proceed to consume her eggs... A tale of caution if I ever read one. Mainly to make sure that if you're an animal, make sure to read up on your natural enemies.
Jill
Oct 09, 2014 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-duck is, next to The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, my favorite Beatrix Potter book. I love Jemima's desire to sit on her own eggs and her annoyance with the farmer's wife for taking them away.

My five-year-old daughter loves to hear this book read as well, always marveling that Jemima doesn't recognize the fox for who he is as well as the artwork.
Valerie
I think this also is the right edition. It also has 'The Original And Authorized Edition' on the cover.

This book, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I never have read--so don't tell me how it ends. The illustrations show a very housewifely duck, apron and all, and in one, she's talking to a fox. So there's probably a trickster element in the story.

Potter lived a large part of her life in the Lake Country in England, so the landscapes and animals are native to that realm. I would be very surprise
B-zee
Mar 10, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Kisah yang agak panjang, dengan kosa kata yang lumayan banyak. Jemima sebenarnya punya niat yang baik dan berusaha mewujudkan dengan usahanya sendiri. Tetapi dia jadi kurang waspada dan justru berakhir dengan kurang baik. Bantuan datang terlambat, tetapi toh akhirnya dia belajar. Yah, niat yang baik harus didukung dengan kemampuan yang baik juga sepertinya.
Alicia
I liked this tale of the not-so-bright Jemima Puddle-Duck getting conned better than the Timmy Tip-Toes we read the other night. Evelyn, however, like Timmy's tale better because there were songs in it. Evelyn was excited to guess that the sandy whiskered gentleman was going to trick Jemima because "He is a fox."
Sara
Oct 20, 2015 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2015
I've never read Jemima Puddle-Duck before, but heard alot of it while watching "Miss Potter." I was curious to know what this story was about. As with all of Potter stories they do have a grim plot within, but I did enjoy this story. I felt bad for Jemima. But all in all I enjoyed it.
  • Winter Story
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Babar and His Children
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • Flower Fairies of the Winter
  • Pumpkin Soup
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • Mr. Tickle (Mr. Men, #1)
  • The Church Mouse
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Barbapapa
  • Little Bear's Trousers
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit