Start by marking “Girl from Mars” as Want to Read:
Girl from Mars

Girl from Mars

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Published April 28th 2008 by Groundwood Books (first published April 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Girl from Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl from Mars

Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenThe Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. DanforthAsh by Malinda LoHer Name in the Sky by Kelly Quindlen
Lesbian teen fiction
113th out of 308 books — 399 voters
Wandering Son, Vol. 1 by Takako ShimuraFair Play by Tove JanssonSphinx by Anne GarrétaYellow Rose by Yoshiya NobukoRadio by Tõnu Õnnepalu
LGBTQ literature in English translation
11th out of 28 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
Aug 04, 2011 Anna added it
Girl from Mars, written by Tamara Bach, was originally published in German, but it doesn't lose anything in translation. It's a slim book (which only took me about two hours to read) told in the first person voice of fifteen-year old Miriam, who is suffering from intense ennui.

"When you live in a city, life must be different. Different from here. In this small town, every day is the same. I get up but I'm not awake. I eat but I don't know if I'm hungry. I drink but my mouth stays dry. It's winte
Aug 01, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book was pretty awesome. Origianlly written in German, it comes without a lot of that stupid baggage about "omgi'mgay!whatwillidonow?howwillilive?" etc. i mean, that's a valid experience, certainly, but not every queer young adult book has to be about that.

ANYWAY. What I liked most about this book was actually not at all related to it being a queer book (which is, of course, how it should be, and therefore makes this book so much better). My favorite parts were the really great descriptions
poingu
Jan 03, 2016 poingu rated it it was ok
I read the original German and found it remarkable, and then I ordered the English translation for my teen, and read it again myself in English, and disliked it intensely. The English narrator sounded like a whiner, and the German one sounded, well, echt. The translation was quite close to the original so I can't really tell you what was going on in my head, only that this was a much better German book than English one.
Sally
Dec 25, 2009 Sally rated it liked it
Paulina Perez
May 15, 2014 Paulina Perez rated it it was amazing
The book Girl from Mars is about two girls who met each other in school . Miriam is trying to make her life exciting, she want to do something ,like fall love or go out. Instead she home arguing with mom . Until she meets Laura , she chances her life & they are becoming good friend , really good friends. Miriam , feels better with Laura than with her other friends, because Laura understands her & Miriam feel different around Laura a good different . And when they take a trip to the big c ...more
Shawnta
Apr 21, 2009 Shawnta rated it liked it
A perfect recommendation for a young person coming out and feeling the need for internal community. It may have moved a bit slowly for an advanced reader.
E. Anderson
Feb 03, 2010 E. Anderson rated it it was amazing
This book has garnered multiple awards and much praise in its native Germany, but the only reason I even know about it is that in my past job as a bookseller I saw it in a catalog. Only 29 people on LibraryThing have it, and to me, that's a travesty. It's a beautiful story of first love, told in the quirky voice of Miriam, a self-described plain fifteen-year-old girl in a small town who dreams, like many of us, of getting out and living a fabulous big-city life. She wishes she were beautiful and ...more
Zenninja
Jan 08, 2013 Zenninja rated it it was ok
Somewhat enjoyable and written in an unusual style (not my favorite style to read, but I won't hold that against the book since it's nice to read something different every once in a while), although I could never quite figure out if it was trying to support teenage flings or out them as silly. I went with the latter only becasue I'd loose all respect for the book if it was the former, but to get there I had to read between the lines in a way I don't think i would have been able to do in my young ...more
Sarah-Anne
Apr 23, 2012 Sarah-Anne added it
Shelves: young-adult
Lexile level: HL510L

Fifteen-year-old Miriam is having stupid arguments with her mother, is bored to death in class, and is trying to get excited by the same old parties with the same old friends in the same old town. She wishes she lived in a big city where she could meet new people and experience new things. In other words, like 15-year-olds everywhere, Miriam is waiting desperately for her life to begin, for something, anything - a first love, perhaps. Love comes in an unexpected way when she
Gremlin
Sep 29, 2015 Gremlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, lgbtq
Meh. The storyline itself wasn't particularly intriguing nor was it anything new for the lgbtq genre of YA. The most compelling part for me was the little bits of German culture that you could pick up on in the reading of this book. Otherwise, it felt sort of forgettable. I don't know if that's the writing or the translation.
Trinity
Jan 13, 2012 Trinity rated it really liked it
Girl From Mars was very refreshing. It's a nice young romance btween Miriam who finds her life boring and herself plain, and a girl named Laura who's green eyes remind Miriam of a witch.
It's a nice, boat ride on a lake in the middle of a spring afternoon. The book will keep you entertained for the most part, and the budding love in the story is sweet.
The only reason I give it 4 stars is because, the only thing that keeps you reading is the interest. There's no cliff-hangers really, and the detai
Annette
Sep 19, 2011 Annette rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-books
I liked this book; it was an interesting yet short read.

The writing style was a bit different and at the beginning it caught my attention while reading, but I got used to it. I like that you can really feel Miriam’s frustration about her life in a small town doing everything in a pattern. Then she finds Laura, a girl that is out of the ordinary and a breath of fresh air for Miriam. For the rest of the story you should just read the book :)

The book was enjoyable, *spoiler* the ending was a bit sa
Jodysegal
The voice of this YA novel by German author Tamara Bach was a little too detached for me, but it evokes well fifteen-year-old Miriam's sense of dissatisfaction and disengagement with life. Everything about Miriam's life feels predictable to her: her friends, enemies, teachers, family and small town. But then she meets Laura and slowly begins to awaken as she realizes she has fallen in love with her.

Bach offers a simple, moving and realistic look at loyalty, love and fear. The novel features lot
Egg Head
Nov 18, 2013 Egg Head rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens
Recommended to Egg by: Goodreads
Shelves: ya, own-book
I thought Girl from Mars is a pretty good read. Simple story for the most part with a normal boring life then they meet and fall in love. Of course I new that when picking the book up though but it wasn't as simple as that though of course though. I felt it was somewhat slow in till the end of the first part but this could of just bin to emphasize that she was board in till the moment where it picked up because it kind of changed a bit? I don't no much about writing styles. Also the ending seeme ...more
Lydia
Aug 17, 2013 Lydia rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-read, ya-lgbt
Written in almost a form of stream of consciousness form, reminiscent of the late 50s-early 60s, this novel of a young girl's attraction and romance to another girl has a certain literary flare. Bach is German and the version read is a translation. Therefore, certain cultural differences play into the storyline.

While I admire the writing (this is an award-winning book), I did find it somewhat difficult to truly enjoy.
Heather
Dec 15, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Angsty McAngsterpants.
That's who the main character is. But she falls in love with a girl, a new girl to her small town life. And it takes place somewhere other than the US, and the parents are clueless, and the teens are in trouble and everything is sad in the end.
There are teen who really dig that.
Bronwyn Mauldin
Jul 17, 2010 Bronwyn Mauldin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
Just lovely. A gentle story about two high school girls who meet, fall in love, then.... No plot spoilers here. It's set in small town Germany, a place we don't often see in fiction, but the characters, their school, the problems they face are so very familiar. One of my favorite YA books this year.
ky
Apr 05, 2012 ky rated it it was ok
This book was in the LGBT teens section and I thought I would give it a try. The word choice was amazing and it was so descriptive, it was very well written. However this book was certainly not my cup of tea, and I will not be re-reading it.
Ariel Cummins
Nov 18, 2009 Ariel Cummins rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
This book gets a solid "meh" from me. Maybe because it's a translation, or maybe because I thought it was actually a book about a girl from Mars (oops), but I just did not find this book compelling. Not great, but not terrible.
Samantha
Jul 24, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it
Okay so the beginning is so slow, but as you get into more of the story it just gets interesting. Laura the girl from Mars she's the odd ball who isn't afraid of being her, but you just wonder why she has the issues.
Toni
Jul 02, 2012 Toni rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtq
Miriam is stuck in a little town where nothing ever happens. Then she falls in love, in a completely unexpected way... with a girl. This book was translated from German and is set there.
Adri
Jun 23, 2012 Adri rated it really liked it
Very captivating story! I found myself unable to put the novel down. However, I found the ending sad and a bit of a let down. I do recommend this for anyone who is a 15 year old girl.
Sofia
Mar 16, 2015 Sofia rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot. I read it when I was about 11 and I think it was my first book that deals with serious problems and my first LGBT book. It was quite nice :)
Andrea
Mar 14, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok
Blah. Tamara Bach's novel is such a let down--and it's poorly written, too! How this book made it to the U.S. from Europe is baffling...
Traci Kenworth
Mar 28, 2011 Traci Kenworth rated it it was ok
Not my usual-I don't read contemporary-but the ending was just a let-down.
Erica
Mar 02, 2010 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
Somewhere between Annie on My Mind and Rose of No Man's Land.
Hannah
Jan 15, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
The ending was awful, but I liked the rest of it pretty well.
Natalie
Another book that got me through a difficult time of heartbreak.
Amanda
Aug 02, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Typical teenage schlock with a side of lesbian angst. Meh.
Kkharvey
  • About a Girl
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • Gravel Queen
  • Sugar Rush
  • The Rules for Hearts (Battle Hall Davies, #2)
  • Country Girl, City Girl
  • One in Every Crowd
  • A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
  • Silhouette of a Sparrow
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
Tamara Bach was born in 1976 in Limburg, Germany, and she has been writing since she was sixteen. She spent her teen years living in Oppenheim -- a small town very much like Miriam's -- and, like Miriam, wishing she lived in a big city. Today she lives and writes in Berlin, where she also works in young people's television and theater.
More about Tamara Bach...