Start by marking “Girl from Mars” as Want to Read:
Girl from Mars

Girl from Mars

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Published April 28th 2008 by Groundwood Books (first published April 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Girl from Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl from Mars

Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenAsh by Malinda LoThe Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. DanforthKissing Kate by Lauren Myracle
Lesbian teen fiction
82nd out of 258 books — 221 voters
Tormented Discovery by Jayson JamesFinding Our Way by Jayson JamesTurning 16 by Perie WolfordSomething Like Summer by Jay BellSafe by C. Kennedy
Best 'Unknown' LGBTQ Books for Teens
58th out of 97 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Girl From Mars by Tamara Bach is about a young girl from England who is as bored and lonely as the next girl. Her friends both have boyfriends and both have a party life while at 15, all she can do is listen patheticly to their stories. Then she meets Laura, a girl who just moved in and everything starts to confuse her. She likes Laura... but how much does she like her? How much does Laura like her?

While reading this book i made a text to self connection. Usually i feel like my life is a bore,
Anna
Aug 04, 2011 Anna added it
Girl from Mars, written by Tamara Bach, was originally published in German, but it doesn't lose anything in translation. It's a slim book (which only took me about two hours to read) told in the first person voice of fifteen-year old Miriam, who is suffering from intense ennui.

"When you live in a city, life must be different. Different from here. In this small town, every day is the same. I get up but I'm not awake. I eat but I don't know if I'm hungry. I drink but my mouth stays dry. It's winte
This book was pretty awesome. Origianlly written in German, it comes without a lot of that stupid baggage about "omgi'mgay!whatwillidonow?howwillilive?" etc. i mean, that's a valid experience, certainly, but not every queer young adult book has to be about that.

ANYWAY. What I liked most about this book was actually not at all related to it being a queer book (which is, of course, how it should be, and therefore makes this book so much better). My favorite parts were the really great descriptions
Sally
Paulina Perez
The book Girl from Mars is about two girls who met each other in school . Miriam is trying to make her life exciting, she want to do something ,like fall love or go out. Instead she home arguing with mom . Until she meets Laura , she chances her life & they are becoming good friend , really good friends. Miriam , feels better with Laura than with her other friends, because Laura understands her & Miriam feel different around Laura a good different . And when they take a trip to the big c ...more
Shawnta
A perfect recommendation for a young person coming out and feeling the need for internal community. It may have moved a bit slowly for an advanced reader.
E. Anderson
This book has garnered multiple awards and much praise in its native Germany, but the only reason I even know about it is that in my past job as a bookseller I saw it in a catalog. Only 29 people on LibraryThing have it, and to me, that's a travesty. It's a beautiful story of first love, told in the quirky voice of Miriam, a self-described plain fifteen-year-old girl in a small town who dreams, like many of us, of getting out and living a fabulous big-city life. She wishes she were beautiful and ...more
Zenninja
Somewhat enjoyable and written in an unusual style (not my favorite style to read, but I won't hold that against the book since it's nice to read something different every once in a while), although I could never quite figure out if it was trying to support teenage flings or out them as silly. I went with the latter only becasue I'd loose all respect for the book if it was the former, but to get there I had to read between the lines in a way I don't think i would have been able to do in my young ...more
Sarah-Anne
Apr 23, 2012 Sarah-Anne added it
Shelves: young-adult
Lexile level: HL510L

Fifteen-year-old Miriam is having stupid arguments with her mother, is bored to death in class, and is trying to get excited by the same old parties with the same old friends in the same old town. She wishes she lived in a big city where she could meet new people and experience new things. In other words, like 15-year-olds everywhere, Miriam is waiting desperately for her life to begin, for something, anything - a first love, perhaps. Love comes in an unexpected way when she
Trinity
Girl From Mars was very refreshing. It's a nice young romance btween Miriam who finds her life boring and herself plain, and a girl named Laura who's green eyes remind Miriam of a witch.
It's a nice, boat ride on a lake in the middle of a spring afternoon. The book will keep you entertained for the most part, and the budding love in the story is sweet.
The only reason I give it 4 stars is because, the only thing that keeps you reading is the interest. There's no cliff-hangers really, and the detai
Annette
I liked this book; it was an interesting yet short read.

The writing style was a bit different and at the beginning it caught my attention while reading, but I got used to it. I like that you can really feel Miriam’s frustration about her life in a small town doing everything in a pattern. Then she finds Laura, a girl that is out of the ordinary and a breath of fresh air for Miriam. For the rest of the story you should just read the book :)

The book was enjoyable, *spoiler* the ending was a bit sa
Sofia
I liked this a lot. I read it when I was about 11 and I think it was my first book that deals with serious problems and my first LGBT book. It was quite nice :)
Jodysegal
The voice of this YA novel by German author Tamara Bach was a little too detached for me, but it evokes well fifteen-year-old Miriam's sense of dissatisfaction and disengagement with life. Everything about Miriam's life feels predictable to her: her friends, enemies, teachers, family and small town. But then she meets Laura and slowly begins to awaken as she realizes she has fallen in love with her.

Bach offers a simple, moving and realistic look at loyalty, love and fear. The novel features lot
Egg Head
Nov 18, 2013 Egg Head rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens
Recommended to Egg by: Goodreads
Shelves: ya, own-book
I thought Girl from Mars is a pretty good read. Simple story for the most part with a normal boring life then they meet and fall in love. Of course I new that when picking the book up though but it wasn't as simple as that though of course though. I felt it was somewhat slow in till the end of the first part but this could of just bin to emphasize that she was board in till the moment where it picked up because it kind of changed a bit? I don't no much about writing styles. Also the ending seeme ...more
Poingu
I read the original German and found it remarkable, and then I ordered the English translation for my teen, and read it again myself in English, and disliked it intensely. The English narrator sounded like a whiner, and the German one sounded, well, echt. The translation was quite close to the original so I can't really tell you what was going on in my head, only that this was a much better German book than English one.
Lydia
Written in almost a form of stream of consciousness form, reminiscent of the late 50s-early 60s, this novel of a young girl's attraction and romance to another girl has a certain literary flare. Bach is German and the version read is a translation. Therefore, certain cultural differences play into the storyline.

While I admire the writing (this is an award-winning book), I did find it somewhat difficult to truly enjoy.
Heather
Angsty McAngsterpants.
That's who the main character is. But she falls in love with a girl, a new girl to her small town life. And it takes place somewhere other than the US, and the parents are clueless, and the teens are in trouble and everything is sad in the end.
There are teen who really dig that.
Bronwyn Mauldin
Just lovely. A gentle story about two high school girls who meet, fall in love, then.... No plot spoilers here. It's set in small town Germany, a place we don't often see in fiction, but the characters, their school, the problems they face are so very familiar. One of my favorite YA books this year.
ky
This book was in the LGBT teens section and I thought I would give it a try. The word choice was amazing and it was so descriptive, it was very well written. However this book was certainly not my cup of tea, and I will not be re-reading it.
Ariel Cummins
This book gets a solid "meh" from me. Maybe because it's a translation, or maybe because I thought it was actually a book about a girl from Mars (oops), but I just did not find this book compelling. Not great, but not terrible.
Samantha
Okay so the beginning is so slow, but as you get into more of the story it just gets interesting. Laura the girl from Mars she's the odd ball who isn't afraid of being her, but you just wonder why she has the issues.
Obisbooks
15 year old Miriam is bored with her small town life. Everything is the same, everyone knows everyone and everything. Along comes Laura. Things change. But for the better? And what difference does it make who you love?
Toni
Miriam is stuck in a little town where nothing ever happens. Then she falls in love, in a completely unexpected way... with a girl. This book was translated from German and is set there.
Adri
Very captivating story! I found myself unable to put the novel down. However, I found the ending sad and a bit of a let down. I do recommend this for anyone who is a 15 year old girl.
Andrea
Blah. Tamara Bach's novel is such a let down--and it's poorly written, too! How this book made it to the U.S. from Europe is baffling...
Traci Kenworth
Not my usual-I don't read contemporary-but the ending was just a let-down.
Erica
Mar 02, 2010 Erica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: queer
Somewhere between Annie on My Mind and Rose of No Man's Land.
Hannah
The ending was awful, but I liked the rest of it pretty well.
Nayu
Another book that got me through a difficult time of heartbreak.
Amanda
Typical teenage schlock with a side of lesbian angst. Meh.
  • Girls I've Run Away With
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • The End
  • Starting From Here
  • A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
  • The Rules for Hearts (Battle Hall Davies, #2)
  • Sister Mischief
  • Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present
  • Awake
  • Mosh Pit
  • One in Every Crowd
  • Babyji
Tamara Bach was born in 1976 in Limburg, Germany, and she has been writing since she was sixteen. She spent her teen years living in Oppenheim -- a small town very much like Miriam's -- and, like Miriam, wishing she lived in a big city. Today she lives and writes in Berlin, where she also works in young people's television and theater.
More about Tamara Bach...
Was vom Sommer übrig ist Busfahrt Mit Kuhn Jetzt ist hier Marienbilder Wer kann für böse Träume - The Secret Grimm Files