Start by marking “Comedies, Vol. 2 (The Merchant of Venice, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It, Twelfth Night, All's Well That Ends Well, and Measure for Measure) (Everyman's Library)” as Want to Read:

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)

Shakespeare’s later comedies were written at the astonishing pace of about two plays a year. In them, he moves beyond the farce of his earlier comedies to richer and more varied dramas. These range from the famous “problem plays,” which blend humor with tragedy, to the idyllic romances set in such timeless locales as the Forest of Arden. They
Published April 16th 1996 by Everyman's Library (first published 1958)

Be the first to ask a question about Comedies, Vol. 2 (The Merchant of Venice, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It, Twelfth Night, All's Well That Ends Well, and Measure for Measure)

James Violand
Aug 28, 2013 James Violand rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: own
What can you say that hasn't been said about the works of one of the most brilliant minds who ever lived? All superlatives elude me. Only the Ancient Greek playwrights are his equals. All others pale in comparison. Unfortunately, so many are turned-off to Shakespeare because of their introduction to him in high school. What a pity. Shakespeare is to be watched! Reading him is a poor substitute. If you can readily understand the English language of his day, he is easy to read, but few are adept a ...more
Jessica
Mar 14, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I reread this in true-to-nerd fashion-- studying before the new Whedon movie comes out! I've read the play twice before in school, and was surprised to find it going down so easily. For some reason, the tragedies were always more easily pictured in my mind. Perhaps it's because I'm older, or because I don't have the extra stressor of not reading it for a class? At any rate, Claudio still doesn't deserve Hero. What an idiot! But do we really read it for Claudio and Hero, anyway? I guess not. It's ...more
Tamara
Jun 13, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
From this book, I have read Twelfth Night which was okay. I then read my two favorite Shakespeare comedies, Merchant of Venice and Much Ado About Nothing. I enjoyed both these comedies and plan to teach at least one of them at the start of the year to 7th graders!
Jabari Binder
Jan 29, 2013 Jabari Binder rated it really liked it
A little confused from Shakespearean writing, but after reading it aloud a few times over, I think I've actually understood it, and placed my own humor in what I still could not comprehend. I like reading classical themed books, which have a more vivid tone and drama in them.
Amy
Apr 28, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, vels
I am rating this play in relation to other Shakespeare's works.

Measure for Measure: 3 stars
Bettie
Bettie rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2008
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2016
Johannes Reiter
Johannes Reiter rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Willie Ha
Willie Ha rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2008
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS.
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS. rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Stuart
Stuart rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Zan
Zan rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Mr. Genie
Mr. Genie rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2008
Michael Walley
Michael Walley rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Tona
Tona rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2008
Clayton
Clayton rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2017
Libby King
Libby King rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Geoff
Geoff rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2008
Pacgoldplover
Pacgoldplover rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2012
Miriam
Miriam rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Marcos
Marcos marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2007
Mark
Mark added it
Sep 24, 2008
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2009
Kristina  UK
Kristina UK marked it as to-read
May 08, 2009
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2009
Rawya Riad
Rawya Riad marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2010
Amy Johnston
Amy Johnston marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2010
Domanique
Domanique marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
Ho
Ho added it
Sep 09, 2011
Tom
Tom added it
Sep 21, 2011
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2012
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2012
Andrew
Andrew added it
Aug 01, 2012
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Chidi OKORO
Chidi OKORO marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Paweł Orłowski
Paweł Orłowski marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Matthew Kendon
Matthew Kendon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Muna
Muna added it
Jan 04, 2014
Suzi
Suzi added it
Jun 06, 2014
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...