Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,280,506 ratings  ·  18,370 reviews
Harry Potter is a wizard. He is in the second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little does he know that this year will be just as eventful as the last...

Published July 10th 2000 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published July 2nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, please sign up.

Erika It is the beds that they sit on, in one of the books Dumbledore comes into Harry's bed room and says "I've never really liked these four-posters, I…moreIt is the beds that they sit on, in one of the books Dumbledore comes into Harry's bed room and says "I've never really liked these four-posters, I light mine on fire in my fourth year." While touching and looking at Harry's bed. (less)
Mariya Joseph He doesn't pick it up or anything he sort of some how flips the books and parchment to look at it or turns it without touching it

Lora
Aug 13, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the first
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as someone who's just getting into Freudian theory.

From the very beginning, the true nature of this story is quite obvious - The Chamber of Secrets. There is only one "c
Wil Wheaton
Overall, I loved this, and I can't wait to start Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today.

Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me:

Wow, the Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first.
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie (which I saw when it came out over a decade ago, not having read the book) but I thought he was awesome in the book. In fact, we rewatched the
Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MY LORD VOLDEMORT.

In this book we get more little hints to events to come in future books (Horcrux stuff, a mention of Voldemort having left a part of himself/his powers in Harry, etc.) WHICH WAS AWESOME. I find that every time I read these books I notice more things, which was definitely true this time around.

One thing I did notice, which COULD HAVE SOLVED EVERYTHING:

At the beginning of the book when they're leaving for King's Cross, Ginny
Christina Wilder

Elisa
A lot of people cite this book as their least favorite in the Potter saga; many of my friends included. When I asked one of my friends why he felt it was the worst of the bunch, he gave me a very reasonable reply. He'd come in late on the Potter game, having only read them last year in fact, when a Professor of his was walking them through what it takes to be a good mystery-- using Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as an example of a perfectly fashioned mystery.

Moving on to the second book,
Namratha
In a bid to revive the Harry Potter-related nostalgia, I am re-reading the series. This is my third trip into Potter’s world, so the cynicism hasn’t crept in yet.
I decided to start off with “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets”.

I always find that the second offering in a long-running series is always the most fulfilling. After the first, we have the character profiles down to a tee, we have decided on our favourites and our pet-peeves and we can easily summon up the landscapes and surroundi
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Swaps55
While the story fits neatly together and again, her imagination is fantastic, the flat characters that play to extreme stereotypes take a lot of the enjoymeny out of this story.

There is no excuse for Gilderoy Lockhart. Granted, his fame obsession and ludicrous self-absorption make for some amusing Rowling-esque moments that make the series good (such as a dozen Lockharts running for cover in the photo frames with rollers in their hair), but at the expense of the reader's patience. This degree o
Rabindranauth
Rereading a book is always an interesting experience, isn't it? Especially if you're doing so with a group of friends. During this reread, I found out that this book seems to be widely considered as the worst in the series. Which is odd, for as it happens, if I have to pick my two favorites in the entire series this would easily be one of them.

It's Harry's second year at Hogwarts, and strange things are stirring. A mysterious message scrawled on a wall on Halloween signals the beginning of a rei
Dylan Williams
This used to be my least favourite book in the series - but I loved it this time around!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
As Dumbledore once said, "it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

My ability to write a proper review for this book does not exist, so I choose to leave it at five stars and two Dobby snaps in a circle ; )

Nina
This is not a review. (Sorry, Vivian!)
Allright, now that we've got this out of the way, I would like to point out three seemingly uninportant things that guaranteed this book five shining, sparkling stars, two of which (the things, not the stars) only appeared in the very last pages of the book.

1. page 352/366
For nearly a quarter of an hour [Harry] spoke into the rapt silence [...].

A quarter of an hour. Not hours, a seemingly endless amount of time, half a day, the whole night. A quarter of an
Maxwell
Reread November 2014

While this is probably one of my least favorites of the series, it's still a fantastic book. I can't say for sure why I don't love it as much as the others, but it's just never stood out to me.

However, upon rereading it, I am reminded again how great Rowling is at developing a story arc! There are so many hints to later parts of the series in this book! Especially with Tom Riddle showing up, the diary, hints of Ron's affection for Hermione, and overall just building up the ch
Navessa
THE MAGIC OF THE MASSIVE GROUP READ CONTINUES NOV 25 - DEC 2.

THE LIST:

45. Silver Thistle
Maureen
Read originally in 2009

Reread in 2014 for #HarryXmasToYou

There is SO MUCH MORE foreshadowing in this book than I ever realized before. Peeves breaking the vanishing cabinet anyone?? Anyway, a lot of people say this is their least favorite, but I actually like it quite a lot! Ginny is one of my favorite characters, so I love that she plays a pretty big role in this book. All in all, just fantastic, as always.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
There is just no way to do these books justice. I can't even try.

photo tumblr_mkjwxeau2l1rtmlvfo3_250_zps39b2f900.gif

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." Dumbledore

photo images1_zpsd23312b6.jpg

Thanks again to my friend Litchick for coming up with this most awesome group read!
Kassidy
Wow, this was so so good!!!

At first, I was a little iffy about it because the characters are so young. It took me a bit to get into, but once they arrived at Hogwarts, I loved it! I love how the writing really draws you in and gives such a beautiful atmosphere. I loved all of the descriptions of the school, it really engaged my imagination.
I was surprised by how many times this book.. well.. surprised me! I thought I would be able to figure everything out, but the plot is very intricate. The twi
Sanaa
Re-Read December 2014: It was so much fun to reread this! I'm a little behind when it comes to updating my Goodreads because hello finals, but why did it take me so long to read this one again! It definitely breathed some new life into my love for the second book and movie!
Mohammed Arabey
هل كنت لتصدق منذ عقدين أن الجرائد قد تقرأها علي جهاز لوحي خفيف بلا أسلاك، تنقل لك الخبر بالصوت وفيديو وقت حدوثه اينما كنت وتقلب صفحاتها علي الجهاز كأنها جريدة بجد
Knight Ridder علي فكرة الموضوع بدأ 1994 ,قبل أبل بسنوات لشركة أسمها
لماذا أذن أعتبر البعض أن ما يحدث في رواية هاري بوتر 1997 من جرائد ذات صور متحركة سحر محرم؟
طب هل تعلم أن من وقت ﻷخر يظهر أشخاص نادرة بأي مكان بالعالم وعلي مر الزمن ولدوا بقدرات غريبة،قد تكون موهبة عقلية فذة ، أو موهبة غريبة كتحريك الاشياء عن بعد، قراءة الافكار وغيرها

ودائ
Alexa
Five reasons why I don't like this book as much as the others.

1. Dobby.

2. Gilderoy Lockhart

3. Colin Creevey

4. Moaning Myrtle

Was this book a convention of annoying characters?

And last:

5. Not enough quidditch!

Still, there are things I liked in this book during the re-read. It's really nice to see Harry's reaction when he feels himself being ostracized by his classmates. It gives you an idea of his attitude in later books.

Also I was really impressed by how dark this book is!

Now to my fa
Brad
This really is the worst book of the Harry Potter bunch, and its lack of quality isn’t helped by its position in the series. For all its faults, Philosopher’s Stone is a strong first novel and does a great job of sucking its readers in -– even the grown up ones -– and Prisoner of Azkaban, for its balanced mix of suspense, character development, and the first real glimpse of the world beyond Hogwarts and Privet Dr., makes it, for me, the best of the entire series. So Chamber of Secret's number tw ...more
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
What stands out in book 2:

* The de-gnoming of the Weasleys' garden. Harry discovers that even wizards have chores--gnomes must be grabbed (ignoring angry protests "Gerroff me! Gerroff me!"), swung about (to make them too dizzy to come back), and tossed out of the garden--this delightful scene highlights Rowling's clever and witty genius.
* Harry's first experience with a Howler, sent to Ron by his mother.
* The Dueling Club battle between Harry and Malfoy. Gilderoy Lockhart starts the Dueling Cl
Jason Koivu
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the number two of the entire Potter series in more ways than one. It's the turd of the lot.

It's not terrible, but compared to the rest of the series Chamber has all the originality of a carbon copy of its predecessor, written to mirror and capitalize on the success of the first book.

Yes Harry and schoolmates have moved on to their second year and there are occurrences that will later come into play in the bigger picture of the story, but in hindsight t
Keely
In her second outing, Rowling builds up her confidence (and relationship with her publisher) enough to begin her signature page number crawl. Unfortunately, for this book, her chaotic plotting means that the further length just becomes more scattered moments.

Despite some interesting twists and concepts, this is the weakest entry in the series. It betrays a utilitarian sense of plot and worldbuilding, in that it expands the story little. Of course, Rowling never really gets the process of stream
Alex Ristea
I'll be honest. When I found out that we were going to be re-reading this series, most of me was excited. But there was quite a bit of apprehension as well.

Would I ruin the magic? Would I re-read these books with a much more critical eye and suddenly realize how poorly written they are? Does Harry Potter stand the test of time?

I'm glad to say that if anything—and to my surprise and delight—I enjoyed this book even more on a re-read. Picking it apart actually improves the book, as we marvel over
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
To be honest, this is not my favourite book in the Harry Potter series. I usually skip to book 3 during re-reads.
But, it not being my favourite doesn't make it a bad book. It's still entertaining, full of delightful characters, situations that go from serious to absurd.
With the Chamber of Secret's open, Harry has to face Voldermort again. You get just a little closer to learning more about what's going on with Harry. This is around the time Harry starts to realize the magical world isn't as ha
Thomas
I really, really like this series. I don't love it yet. But I'm on my way.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - Dumbledore, one of my favorite fictional mentors already.

Time for my second informal Harry Potter review. Rowling continues Harry's quest to become the best wizard he can be at Hogwarts alongside his two best friends, Ron and Hermione. Great (though not beautiful or superbly sophisticated) writing, smart development of characters, and a
Ariel
DEAR GOD THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL.
I give it 5 stars.. but as a Harry Potter novel.. a league of it's own.. I'd probably give it 4/5.
STILL THOUGH, AWESOME :)

I really want to start Prisoner of Azkaban but it's packed away somewhere :(
Word Game (I love these, so reply! ;) ) 32656 8770 1 hour, 15 min ago
Worst HP book-to-film adaptation? 180 1330 6 hours, 11 min ago
Harry Potter Wint...: The Chamber of Secrets 3 5 17 hours, 29 min ago
Novel Books &...: Rowling, J.K.- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2); Informal Buddy Read: Starts November 12, 2014 118 174 Dec 23, 2014 09:14PM
Harry Potter Wint...: The Chamber of Secrets 30 5 Dec 22, 2014 07:28PM
Were Lupin and Tonks really a good match? 24 248 Dec 09, 2014 11:35AM
Word Game 25 60 Dec 05, 2014 06:45PM
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • The Novice (The Black Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • A Fúria dos Reis (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #3)
  • The Tiger in the Well (Sally Lockhart, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, Book #3)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)