Start by marking “Talking to Addison” as Want to Read:
Talking to Addison

Talking to Addison

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,645 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Holly is a frustrated florist whose life doesn't seem to be coming up roses. Fleeing a house-share from hell, she moves in with a motley crew of friends including Josh, a sexually confused merchant banker; Kate, a high-flying legal eagle with talons to match; and the gorgeous Addison, who spends his days communicating only with his computer and those who worship at the alt ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published January 15th 2002 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Talking to Addison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking to Addison

Rachel
Feb 22, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recs-for-rj
I can't believe I read a chick-lit book, but I couldn't resist this tale of Holly, a financially-challenged young florist who falls for Addison, her hot computer geek room-mate. It turned out to be an hilarious read with some unusual elements. Hot computer geek? Do they really exist? Stereotypes aside, just because someone is extremely attractive doesn't mean they'll gravitate towards image-conscious careers. While I can't say that I've personally met too many computer geeks who resemble Johnny ...more
Jacqueline
this is a 3 and a half really,i did like this book,and i found it really funny (the character of addison annoyed the s***e out of me but anyway:-D) but i honestly couldnt follow some of the dialogue,it seemed to me like i would read a page of conversation,and it would be indicated that something insulting/heartbreaking/relevant had been said,so i would read over it again and still fail to come to the same conclusion that anything important had just happned,confusing...and confusing to explain wh ...more
Julie
Aug 30, 2014 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nil
Admittedly, only read up to page 11 and am stopping there. Generally like my British-based chick-lit books in the vein of Bridget Jones, but this one did nothing for me. If I don't like the female protagonist in a chick-lit novel, then it's a no-go for me & the relationship between me and the book is over. The female lead Holly was just so whiny and she did not demonstrate enough wit for me to even consider the statements that she uttered as acerbic or cutting-and even if that seemed to be t ...more
Becky
It's hard for me to rate these books. Yes, they're funny for the most part, but I'm so annoyed by the language and the raunchy lifestyle portrayed that I find it hard to really enjoy them. I like this author's more serious work, but the humor is borderline offensive (and sometimes more than borderline.) The writing is competent, but not brilliant, but if you like raunchy humor, you'll probably like it better than I did.
Ann
Apr 24, 2014 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blah
I just did not get it. 2.5 stars if it was possible.

Holly, a kind of weird florist (don`t get me wrong, I love wierd, I am wierd in my own way but she was just what?!?), another woman desperate to find a man. After escaping from a flat she begins to live with Josh, Addison and Kate. I did not understand any chemistry between anyone even though some of the ended up together. I did not understan why Holly liked Addison (apart from being handsome).
Brandon Ulman
Sep 13, 2014 Brandon Ulman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This right here. This was light-reading perfection: charming and sweet and slight but with just enough of a sharp edge that it never got dull or saccharine. And its overall point is meaningful without being too blunt about it. It's real appeal is its main characters, though, three slice-of-life Brits who were all amusingly neurotic - and well aware of it.
Katie
Feb 06, 2008 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Jenny
Shelves: fiction
This is the second book that I have read by Jenny Colgan in the last 48 hours. I like her writing a lot but I didn't like this one as much as Amanda's Wedding. I did however practically pee my pants on pages 9-10. Don't get me wrong, this book was good just was a little slow in the middle. I do love the way she had her characters interact...those British know how to have conversations filled with several different, thinly veiled insults.

This is the part that I died laughing...
"Where am I going t
Kee
Feb 17, 2015 Kee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite a strange novel, which is fine,but I simply didn't enjoy it. I found the main character annoying, and her infatuation with Addison very shallow. Didn't like many of the characters or the plot, which was quite random. There wasn't much happening,no interesting twists or scenes. Skim read through most of it..
James Atkinson

This book is the definition of ok. There is nothing great and I should hate it, but I still like it.
The majority of the characters are likeable. There are a few sterotypes, but you want to know more about them. The main character, Holly, is likeable, and you like to hear from her.
The main character, Addison, is your sterotypical nerd, but is a Johnny Deep lookalike-right! But he is given more development and, when we learn more about him, he starts to make
Michele Benson
This was funny and light and contained only characters who had not a clue what to do with their lives. It was a great source of British slang and star trek trivia, so beware.
Spellcheck
Dec 29, 2014 Spellcheck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beach-read
Passable chick lit (expectations set low). Personally, I didn't care for the characters, or the story. The characters all seem to be lacking basic decision-making skills.
Tuija
Apr 06, 2014 Tuija rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ihan ok, mutta kirjailijalla on tavallista isompi sanasto, joten joukossa oli vieraitakin sanoja. Eli lukeminen vaati hiukan enemmän yfitystä. Juoni oli ei-ihan-tavallinen. Onneksi. Olisin tykännyt jos Addison olisi ollut Hollyn pari, ja koomasta selviäminen oli jotenkin oikaistu.
Maitreyee
I loved Amanda's wedding but talking to Addison was a letdown comparatively. I'm not saying that it wasn't worth reading. its good for a one time read. but I won't be obsessing about it anytime soon.
Addison was sweet and confused. more like a child and less like a man. Holly was a bit stupid but I liked her free spiritedness . Kate and Josh were hilarious. though somehow I didn't like them ending up together. chali was cool. Finn was my very favorite character. his geekiness was adorable! right
Angela
Apr 01, 2016 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was alright but didn't grab my attention and keep it from wandering to other activities.
Iya
Nov 18, 2011 Iya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Escaping from "flat-mates"' hell, Holly ends up in another "flat-mate" dilemma. Now she's sharing an apartment with old college friends, which could be nothing to write home about, if there wasn't this mysterious other flatmate of theirs. The story spins around Holly trying to get together with this guy, which proves to be not that easy. Addison is a computer weirdo type, who can't see the reason of going out of his own room and exit his selfcreated computer world. The ending of this story is qu ...more
Farrah
Jun 25, 2015 Farrah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew it was chick lit but thought it might be a fun beach read. Not.
Maura
Oct 20, 2014 Maura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, chick-lit. I've read several books like these and they rarely do much for me. I suppose there was some humor in this, but I didn't find it all that terribly funny. The main character Holly was kind of annoying to me and I couldn't figure out how the two fell in love - what interactions and chemistry led to this? So while the story was mostly entertaining and I didn't feel the need to set it down for hours at a time just to get enough motivation to pick it back up again, I still don't think I ...more
Celine
Feb 16, 2016 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy and funny read.
Kris
Oct 19, 2014 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Enjoyable.
Pierce Ripalda
Didn't end the way I wanted it to be, but I had fun reading this. Subtle humors are actually quite effective. :)
Khonie
Nov 30, 2014 Khonie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and easy read.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Dec 28, 2009 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This was a fantastic read! I loved Holly for the fact that she was such a generally happy girl who wasn't overly ambitious (rather a slacker) and quite content to remain that way. I also love, love, loved Addison. A geeky Johnny Depp? What more does a girl need? It was a tad on the darkly humorous side which I also enjoyed very much. The last 1/8 of the book seemed a little chaotic but other than that I've no complaints.
Jeanne
Apr 09, 2007 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leonie
Feb 19, 2012 Leonie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped for this book to be a quick, light fluffy read but it was so bad that it took me forever and a day to finish reading it. Full of cliche's and impossible scenarios, it wasn't escapism as much as a course in anger management as I became more enraged about the way I was wasting my time with it each time I picked it up to read.

All things considered, I'm really not a chick list person after all.
Sylvia
May 31, 2007 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A humorous fiction about a girl who has a room mate named Addison, a computer geek. He has a cyber girlfriend, and never comes out of his room. One day, finally the girl persuades him to go out with her, and they went to the park, where the girl asked him to kiss her and he fell from the bridge, and put him into a coma.
A nice story, with unexpected ending though. Read and laugh.
Kerri
Aug 16, 2007 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I read this book a really really long time ago. However, in my little notebook of books I made a little side note that it was very funny. From what I remember its about this girl that moves into an apartment and one of her new roomates refuses to leave his room and they talk via the internet. I remember the main character having a quirky sense of humor.
Basirat Atif
I bought this book from Jinnah Terminal Karachi when my flight to Jeddah was delayed a couple of hours. It was really enjoyable, funny and cute. Addison is someone like Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds except that he doesn't talk or articulate much like Reid does. There were moments in the book when I laughed my a** off. A good read indeed.
Redfox5
Jun 04, 2010 Redfox5 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
read a Colgan book before and wasn't impressed with it, but this was a big improvement. I laughed out loud loads. I got abit annoyed with Holly when she liked Addison but was going out with Finn. Felt sorry for the poor boy. Thought all the bits in the hospital were the most boring parts of the book but it's still worth a read.
Roswitha Muntiyarso
Very unique plot offered by this chick lit. All the character has their own unique characteristic and the ending is very unpredictable. But this novel seems has a very late climax and make reader a bit bored until they reach more than half book. But it is indeed a good story to read and good companion while you are traveling also.
Maria
Apr 30, 2014 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started out slow, than jumped into an interesting/crazy storyline only to end with a quick not ideal ending! I usually love chick lit and it's easiness to read with a little bit of an interesting storyline, but I really was not a fan of this book. It seem disjointed.
  • French Relations
  • Come Together (Jack & Amy, #1)
  • Simply Divine
  • Three In A Bed
  • It Had to Be You
  • Perfect Strangers
  • Honeymoon
  • A WAG Abroad (WAGs Diary, #2)
  • Society Girls
  • A Kept Woman
Jenny T. Colgan was born in 1972 in Prestwick, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK. After studying at Edinburgh University, she worked for six years in the health service, moonlighting as a cartoonist and a stand-up comic, before the publication of her first novel Amanda's Wedding in 2000. In 2013, her novel "Welcome to Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams" won the Romantic Novel of the Year Award by the Romanti ...more
More about Jenny Colgan...