Possessed: The True Story of an Exorcism

Possessed: The True Story of an Exorcism

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"The Exorcist", a 1973 movie about a twelve-year-old girl possessed by the Devil, frightened people more than any horror film ever did. Many moviegoers sought therapy to rid themselves of fears they could not explain. Psychiatrists coined the term "cinematic neurosis" for patients who left the movie feeling a terrifying presence of demons. At the Washington premiere, a you...more
Published September 1st 2000 by iUniverse.com (first published 1993)

Patricia Pugsley
This was fascinating, as I've lived two blocks from the house for 25 years where this incident first took place. I did a lot of research into the incident because I love local history. I also knew about Father Hughes, who attempted the first (life-threatening) exorcism at Georgetown University Hospital. My first boyfriend (and both of his brothers) was baptized by him. He married the guys' parents. Their relatives lived a few houses up from the original house, which was burned down by the fire d...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I often find it difficult to "rate" "nonfiction" books. This is one of those. How do you "rate" a book of this type? Is it based on "accuracy"? Maybe it should, as in my reviews of most fiction books be based on the "enjoyment" factor? Possibly I could just base it on the writing and readability? I'm sort of going with a mixture of these and what I suppose might be called "overall impression".

The book is or purports to be an account of the "actual events" that were the basis for William Peter Bl...more
David
Oct 04, 2009 David added it
OK, I'm not reading any more. After 40 pages I couldn't get to sleep last night. The kid plays with a ouija board and the next thing you know the family's hearing scratching sounds in the walls and bloody claw marks are spelling words on the kid. Forget it!
Victoria
I can't believe I read this home alone AND so late at night... I must be TRYING to give myself nightmares! Still, it is a fascinating and horrifying read - made all the more so because it is presented in a very non-fiction manner. The idea of such a modern, and well-documented exorcism sure does make you wonder... especially since Chicago has its own Exorcist posted here. Not all of the information concerning exorcism, and this case, is new, of course (the original publication date is 1993). In...more
Taylor Brown
The book is based on the actual events of the St. Louis exorcism in 1949 by the Jesuit priests and was the idea for the movie The Exorcism. Exorcisms and demons interest me so I really enjoyed reading about the oija board, the scratching on the wall, the claw marks that spelled words on the boy, and just the overall events that were happening throughout the novel. At first it was kind of scary to read it ,but I enjoy scary things so it was no problem for me. I also really liked that the book is...more
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
This book was about the real exorcism that the popular horror movie The Exorcist was loosely based on. Thomas had the diary of the Bishop that helped in the excorcism and used that in writing this boook.
I must say that while the writing didn't scare me the subject matter had me terrified. I'm not sure how often I will read about demonic possesion because it really does scare me!
Shanrina
I admire the author's attempt to focus on historical records and not speculate on what may have been the case, and for the most part I think it was successful. However, I found it difficult to get through most of the exorcism scenes because they were so filled up with the actual texts of the prayers that were said. I found my attention drifting a lot. I also wish there had been a little bit more explanation of some of the Catholicism-related terms that were used. Having not been raised Catholic...more
Bree
Possessed is a journalist's account of the exorcism that occurred in 1949 that "inspired" William Peter Blatty to write The Exorcist. "Inspired" is in quotes, because by the end of this book you find out all that inspired Blatty was an article that said an exorcism occurred, then no one would talk to him about it, so he just made it up himself. The author of Possessed did get a few people to talk to him, mostly a Mr. Halloran who was present for much of the exorcism with the job of holding the b...more
Gary Ludlam
Possessed is an account of an actual exorcism performed in the United States by Jesuit Priests. This exorcism provided the inspiration for the book and later movie "The Exorcist." The reader should not expect that the events in the book correspond in any way to those in "The Exorcist." The author of that book did not have access to the information that Thomas Allen had for this historical account, but rather performed research on exorcism in general and based his book on that research.

I like sev...more
Kimberly
This book is an interesting account of what happened to the boy The Exorcist movie is based on. It didn't scare me, but I thought it was very educational. There is a lot of back history on the priests involved and the author explains, in detail, the hierarchy of Catholic priests. At times it feels like a history lesson on Catholics and the differences between them and Protestants.

What I found interesting are the details on how the boy became possessed, the obstacles the family faced trying to ge...more
Caroline
Whether you believe in the possibility of demonic possession or not, this is an interesting read.
An account of a real exorcism which took place in 1949, and was the basis for William Peter Blatty's best selling novel "The Exorcist", Possessed is a chilling read.
Nyie Rombeng
possessed adalah cerita thriller supranatural yang klasik hingga sekarang,walau tidak ada gema akan keberadaannya.
ceritanya natural tanpa menakutkan apalagi meneror,hanya 100% suspense,readers.
untuk para readers yang skeptis/intoleran pada pemeluk agama lain sangat tidak disarankan membaca buku ini.
p s : difilm nya timothy dalton untuk pertama kalinya berperan sebagai bapa(he's my favourite actor;)),makin kesengsem dech!x)
Jen
This book was interesting. I was fascinated by the descriptions of the Catholic rite of exorcism. It's not something I was familiar with at all. I also loved the way the poor boy was finally set free. If that part is true, and I have only this author's word to go on unless I decide to research it more myself, that is one of the coolest stories of an angel intervening on earth that I've ever seen.
Angelic S
This book tells the true story that the book and movie "The Exorcist" are based on. It is a compelling read and the creep factor is high. We get an inside look into the only sanctioned exorcism ever to happen in the US. The only drawback is that the story delves deep into the actual ritual, with pages of what the priests are reading. If you can get through that, then you will thoroughly enjoy this book.
Jonathan Spencer
Though filled with fascinating content, this book's writing style put me off quite early. I am glad, though, that I slogged through the first half. The stories were not nearly as creepy as I had expected, but there was a vast amount of information about various Catholic orders and ceremonies that were a lot of fun to encounter.
Héctor Espinoza
Como libró cómico me deja esperando mejores gags que un niño de 13 escupiendo en la cara a sacerdotes jesuitas, como un texto serio se queda muy cortito, y como relato de ficción le falta mucho para ser interesante. No es malo, tampoco es bueno.
Jan
Wow for the first time in
ages a book I could not put down. written in journalistic style with much attention to detail. Interesting information also on the Jesuits. creepy and scary stuff.
theghostwriter
this was the TRUE story behind the exorcist. allen investigates the boy's family and interviews clergy who were involved with the exorcism. pretty creepy.
Tom Rosales
I dont know if i believe in this subject, but the book was a worth the read. The book was also creepy made for some unpleasant midnite shift work.
Chris Turek
Fascinating book and an excellent point of reference on the topic. It belongs right next to Hostage to the Devil.
Kelly Clarke
CREEPY!!!! This book is the true life account of the actual child on which the movie The Exorcist, was based.
Kolleen
How did this book about exorcisms not interest me? I couldn't stand it. That's sad.
Rebecca
It was interesting, but mainly because I am St. Louisan and once Catholic.
Christopher

Very practical reference book for exorcists
Michael Slaunwhite
Sep 13, 2013 Michael Slaunwhite marked it as to-read
I haven't read it yet.
Abby
A lot of needless description. Very repetitive.
Teri
May 29, 2010 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
I had to put it down for a couple months before I could finish it...shivers!
Steve B
Steve B marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
M.
M. added it
Jul 29, 2014
  • Hostage to the Devil - Reissue: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
  • Museum of Terror, Vol. 3
  • Suspect Zero
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins (New Edition)
  • Birthday (Ring, #4)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Revenge R Us (Goosebumps Series 2000, #7)
  • Glimpses of the Devil: A Psychiatrist's Personal Accounts of Possession, Exorcism, and Redemption
  • The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Claymore, Vol. 09: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)
  • The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren
  • Pintu Terlarang
  • An Exorcist Tells His Story
  • Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghost Hunters: True Stories from the World's Most Famous Demonologists
Thomas B. Allen's writings range from articles for National Geographic Magazine to books on espionage and military history.
He is the father of Roger MacBride Allen.
More about Thomas B. Allen...
George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War Tories Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent: How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War Mr. Lincoln's High-tech War Offerings at the Wall: Artifacts from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collection