Afeni Shakur: Evolution of a Revolutionary

Afeni Shakur: Evolution of a Revolutionary

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Before becoming one of the most well-known members of the Black Power movement, Alice Faye Williams was not unlike any other poor, African American girl growing up in the impoverished South. But when her family moved to New York during the radical sixties, she became intoxicated by the promise of social change. By the time she turned twenty-one, Alice had a new name -- Afe...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Atria Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Afeni Shakur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afeni Shakur

Cripchick
very accessible! the whole book was written as a conversation between two friends. i read it in one sitting. very honest, doesn't put this community activist on a pedestal and you are able to get a full picture of afeni's journey.
Ebony

Immediately, I thought Afeni and Jasmine were an unlikely collaboration and I was curious to know about their relationship. I have always been a fan of both women. I loved Jasmine every since she was Whitley on A Different World and I have always wanted to learn more about Afeni. I knew she was the mother of legendary rapper Tupac and that she was a prominent figure in the Black Panther movement, but nothing other than that.

After sitting on my bookshelf for some months, I finally sat down to rea...more
Thorn MotherIssues
I've been reading a lot about activists and leftists in the '60s and was mostly hoping for that, but Shakur's life story beyond that was interesting too. I still need better books on women in the Black Panthers.
Conor
A very interesting story. I loved hearing Afeni talk about her time with the Black Panthers and thne on trial. Hearing about her drug addiction was interesting, but I was disappointed that it effectively took over her life and thus the remainder of the story after the trial in her 20s. I really did not enjoy the presentation. The author just describes interviewing Afeni and quotes her, occasionally adding commentary which I also didn't enjoy the content of. For those looking for information abou...more
Jasmyne Rogers
Afeni Shakur: The Evolution of a Revolutionary is my favorite book. This book is beyond powerful! It entails a great deal of African American history- the affects of slavery, the Black Panther movement, and Hip Hop in the eyes of the late Tupac Shakur embodied in one single, yet strong African American woman. This book reads as a conversational dialogue and I immediately engaged in Afeni's story about life, struggle, and progression. This book has changed my perspectives and life in many areas.
Tonya
This was a brutally honest memoir of Afeni Shakur, co-written with Jasmine Guy. Of her trials in life, Afeni learned from it. Jasmine seems to have wanted us in the room with them as they spoke and I loved that. I felt close to both of them. It took her some time for Afeni to even out her course. However, with this book, she gave it back to Jasmine (as she later notes), to me, to all of us, who read about it, as a testimonial of gratitude and extra chances.
Lisa Kekaula
This is a very candid book written by Jasmine Guy about the mother of Tupac Shakur. I was floored by the honesty in this book and the courage to live through what she lived through.
Lacey
Oct 21, 2007 Lacey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
jasmine guy is an incredible writer and afeni is an incrediblely strong woman! this book is an emotional journey and it was worth every single step!
Sherrall
WHAT A GOOD BOOK !!!!! SOON AS I OPENED THIS BOOK THE PAGES PULLED ME INTO THIS FASCINATING DESCRIPTIVE STORY ! I WANTED MORE EVEN WHEN I TOOK BREAKS FROM THE BOOK I FOUND MYSELF DREAMING WHAT WILL HAPPEN. I was totally immersed in the conversations between Afeni and Jasmine. I felt as though I were right in the room with them, hearing the stories first hand. It would be very wrong to assume that Ms. Guy is only an actress. She writes with such eloquence and candor that one must also call her 'a...more
Eric Piotrowski
I was surprised to find a biography of Tupac's mother written by Jasmine Guy. I'd only known her from A Different World, but she was a good friend of Pac's, and became close to his mother (and the rest of his family) after he died. This is a very interesting, powerful, and well-written look at her life and the stories behind "Dear Mama". A must-read for anyone interested in hip-hop, the Black Panthers, or what happens when a movement skids out of control. (Shakur says "We dropped the ball.")

My h...more
Dimitri Kizer
This was a good book. I would definitely recommend it to someone. It was very interesting and relatable. My favorite part was when Jasmine went to go talk to Afeni's daughter. They talked about her tuff childhood and how she had to take care of herself while her mother was on drugs. Also how she had to for give her mother for a lot of things she did. Which ties in with the theme.
Another reason why I like the book is because of the theme. The theme is to always forgive people. I think that is t...more
Noel
I read this book quickly. I found it very moving especially the parts where Afeni reveals her humanity through her failures, and later her successes. Her spirit and love of her present life endures in these pages. She reveals her past the characteristics of her parents that influenced her, her membership in the B.P.P. and her trial. The most moving and triumphant sections is where she opens about her addictions to coke, and later crack. She connects her new found joy and love for her own life to...more
CD
I got rather bogged down after the first 75-100 pages. The story was not paced well or to my liking.

Much of this is a fascinating story and one that should be related frequently as it changes the views of many people about a particularly misunderstood US era in history.

Jasmine Guy is a great friend but sometime the writing does not serve the story.

This is a 'to be read again later' book for me. I wonder if I read it in fewer 'sittings' if it might not flow better.

Ikè
Eye opening, but I found Ms. Guy's approach to be elementary.
Adrian
A close look into the life of a Very Interesting woman, that very seldom opens up to anybody.. over a few visits with close family friend jasmine Guy, Afeni opens up in shares her life story with her, from her days a Black Panther, to the birth of her famous son, Afeni share aside of herself most people don't know or either have misundertood.. a Very good Read about a very deep woman...
Tanisha
OOOman! I had such a good time reading this book! Who knew Jasmine Guy isn't just great at being Whitley!! She is an amazing author and took us through the life of her friend Afeni Shakur who without the tumultuous life and times of her son Tupac, lived(s) a life of great accomplishment and struggle, one that should be shared and I'm happy she has! GREAT READ!
Priya
This book is actually written by Jasmine Guy (Whitley from a Different World!) It is pretty well-written and will give you a very different perspective on the Black Panther movement and its impact on Tupac's life.
Chevonne
This book gives such great insight into Afeni's life & her relationships with Jasmine Guy, the Panthers, and Tupac. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. Very good Bio.
Brittany Brewer
Hands Down, this is my FAVORITE book. The evolution of Afeni Shakur is displayed by her perseverance, strength, and determination to become a better woman and mother.
Christopher K.p.
I read this book a few years back. I love biographies and though this book was moer like a memoir, I learned a lot about Afeni. It was really hard to put the book down.
Cindy
Interesting but not a well written book about Afeni Shakur, the mother of Tupac, and her life before, with and after Tupac.
Megan
This was a good and insightful read.
Aaminah Shakur
extremely important book.
Ethan
Awful writing.
Kerri
This biik is an excelent read...I finsihed it in less than 2 days!!! Great story very inspitrational...I'll be giving this one as a gift....
Lady
Oct 27, 2007 Lady rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who idolize the Black Panther Party, it will make you think.
Shelves: bios-memoirs
...to come.
Chanel
Jul 21, 2007 Chanel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: black women
incredible journey
Le'roy Sweezy jr.
Le'roy Sweezy jr. marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Patsy
Patsy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jeneya Little
Jeneya Little marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
190195
Jasmine Guy is an American actress, director, singer and dancer. She is best known for her starring role as Whitley Gilbert in the television sitcom 'A Different World,' and as part of the ensemble cast of 'Dead Like Me.'
More about Jasmine Guy...
Skinny Dipping in the Pool of Womanhood