Start by marking “Afeni Shakur: Evolution of a Revolutionary” as Want to Read:
Afeni Shakur: Evolution of a Revolutionary

Afeni Shakur: Evolution of a Revolutionary

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Before becoming one of the most well-known members of the Black Power movement, Alice Faye Williams was not unlike any other poor, African American girl growing up in the impoverished South. But when her family moved to New York during the radical sixties, she became intoxicated by the promise of social change. By the time she turned twenty-one, Alice had a new name -- Afe ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Atria Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Afeni Shakur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afeni Shakur

Ebony
Mar 08, 2014 Ebony rated it it was amazing

Immediately, I thought Afeni and Jasmine were an unlikely collaboration and I was curious to know about their relationship. I have always been a fan of both women. I loved Jasmine every since she was Whitley on A Different World and I have always wanted to learn more about Afeni. I knew she was the mother of legendary rapper Tupac and that she was a prominent figure in the Black Panther movement, but nothing other than that.

After sitting on my bookshelf for some months, I finally sat down to rea
Denise Cooper
Mar 24, 2016 Denise Cooper rated it it was amazing
When friends get together and learn about one another's present and past lives, sharing a meal while sharing stories, living there everyday lives through memories, love, teachings, tears, joy, pain, anger, truth, discovery, laughter and fighting back, a revolutionary time, life changing events for a nation and it's people. This was great to witness. I felt like i stepped into Afeni's home with Jasmine like a silent third person just listening to my friends discuss the 60's 70's panthers, marriag ...more
Winter Sophia Rose
Feb 08, 2016 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt, Engaging & Moving! A Fascinating Read! I Loved It!
Thorn MotherIssues
May 19, 2009 Thorn MotherIssues rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
I've been reading a lot about activists and leftists in the '60s and was mostly hoping for that, but Shakur's life story beyond that was interesting too. I still need better books on women in the Black Panthers.
Eric Piotrowski
Dec 16, 2010 Eric Piotrowski rated it it was amazing
I was surprised to find a biography of Tupac's mother written by Jasmine Guy. I'd only known her from A Different World, but she was a good friend of Pac's, and became close to his mother (and the rest of his family) after he died. This is a very interesting, powerful, and well-written look at her life and the stories behind "Dear Mama". A must-read for anyone interested in hip-hop, the Black Panthers, or what happens when a movement skids out of control. (Shakur says "We dropped the ball.")

My h
Timothy
Mar 03, 2015 Timothy rated it liked it
A very interesting story. I loved hearing Afeni talk about her time with the Black Panthers and thne on trial. Hearing about her drug addiction was interesting, but I was disappointed that it effectively took over her life and thus the remainder of the story after the trial in her 20s. I really did not enjoy the presentation. The author just describes interviewing Afeni and quotes her, occasionally adding commentary which I also didn't enjoy the content of. For those looking for information abou ...more
Jasmyne Rogers
Jan 22, 2011 Jasmyne Rogers rated it it was amazing
Afeni Shakur: The Evolution of a Revolutionary is my favorite book. This book is beyond powerful! It entails a great deal of African American history- the affects of slavery, the Black Panther movement, and Hip Hop in the eyes of the late Tupac Shakur embodied in one single, yet strong African American woman. This book reads as a conversational dialogue and I immediately engaged in Afeni's story about life, struggle, and progression. This book has changed my perspectives and life in many areas.
Tonya
Jan 13, 2016 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
This was a brutally honest memoir of Afeni Shakur, co-written with Jasmine Guy. Of her trials in life, Afeni learned from it. Jasmine seems to have wanted us in the room with them as they spoke and I loved that. I felt close to both of them. It took her some time for Afeni to even out her course. However, with this book, she gave it back to Jasmine (as she later notes), to me, to all of us, who read about it, as a testimonial of gratitude and extra chances.
Melanie
Sep 15, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
I felt as if I was talking to mom...or sitting in on the conversations between Jasmine and Afeni. Very thankful to have read this book and received some of Afeni's wisdom. I finished this book on the day before Tupac was killed 19 years ago. It was very powerful.
Lisa Kekaula
Dec 07, 2010 Lisa Kekaula rated it it was amazing
This is a very candid book written by Jasmine Guy about the mother of Tupac Shakur. I was floored by the honesty in this book and the courage to live through what she lived through.
Lacey
Oct 21, 2007 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
jasmine guy is an incredible writer and afeni is an incrediblely strong woman! this book is an emotional journey and it was worth every single step!
Bianca Burrell
Jul 07, 2015 Bianca Burrell rated it really liked it
This would've received five stars but I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing style. Just didn't flow as smoothly as I would've liked. Other than that it was a great read. I loved the candid relationship between Jasmine Guy and Afeni Shakur. I really enjoyed learning about some of the women in the black panther era. That section could be a very interesting book on its own.

If you are looking to learn more about Mr. Tupac Shakur, this isn't the book for you. Instead you will learn about Ms. Afeni
LaKesha
Mar 11, 2015 LaKesha rated it liked it
Although, I wasn't crazy about Guy's writing style, I admire her courage to write a story that captures important glimpses of Shakur's life. I also admire Shakur's candid nature, it takes a person who is at peace with their life to allow it to be chronicled. I will even apply some of the steps she mentioned from her AA classes to my own life. The title of this book is quite fitting. Thank you Jasmine and Afeni.
Black Carrie
Jun 13, 2014 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing
WHAT A GOOD BOOK !!!!! SOON AS I OPENED THIS BOOK THE PAGES PULLED ME INTO THIS FASCINATING DESCRIPTIVE STORY ! I WANTED MORE EVEN WHEN I TOOK BREAKS FROM THE BOOK I FOUND MYSELF DREAMING WHAT WILL HAPPEN. I was totally immersed in the conversations between Afeni and Jasmine. I felt as though I were right in the room with them, hearing the stories first hand. It would be very wrong to assume that Ms. Guy is only an actress. She writes with such eloquence and candor that one must also call her 'a ...more
Dimitri Kizer
Nov 25, 2012 Dimitri Kizer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. I would definitely recommend it to someone. It was very interesting and relatable. My favorite part was when Jasmine went to go talk to Afeni's daughter. They talked about her tuff childhood and how she had to take care of herself while her mother was on drugs. Also how she had to for give her mother for a lot of things she did. Which ties in with the theme.
Another reason why I like the book is because of the theme. The theme is to always forgive people. I think that is t
Noel
Dec 12, 2009 Noel rated it it was amazing
I read this book quickly. I found it very moving especially the parts where Afeni reveals her humanity through her failures, and later her successes. Her spirit and love of her present life endures in these pages. She reveals her past the characteristics of her parents that influenced her, her membership in the B.P.P. and her trial. The most moving and triumphant sections is where she opens about her addictions to coke, and later crack. She connects her new found joy and love for her own life to ...more
TeQuila
Oct 20, 2014 TeQuila rated it it was amazing
I needed to read this again because sometimes, not all of the time, but sometimes I forget. Afeni Shakur is one of my personal heroes. She is flawed, strong, and beautiful. This book explores that. It is an emotional and thought-provoking read.
Kenny Guzman
Oct 16, 2014 Kenny Guzman rated it it was amazing
Read this in book high school, Powerful !
CD
I got rather bogged down after the first 75-100 pages. The story was not paced well or to my liking.

Much of this is a fascinating story and one that should be related frequently as it changes the views of many people about a particularly misunderstood US era in history.

Jasmine Guy is a great friend but sometime the writing does not serve the story.

This is a 'to be read again later' book for me. I wonder if I read it in fewer 'sittings' if it might not flow better.

Ikè
Jul 02, 2014 Ikè rated it liked it
Eye opening, but I found Ms. Guy's approach to be elementary.
Adrian
Nov 26, 2012 Adrian rated it it was amazing
A close look into the life of a Very Interesting woman, that very seldom opens up to anybody.. over a few visits with close family friend jasmine Guy, Afeni opens up in shares her life story with her, from her days a Black Panther, to the birth of her famous son, Afeni share aside of herself most people don't know or either have misundertood.. a Very good Read about a very deep woman...
Tanisha
Dec 21, 2009 Tanisha rated it it was amazing
OOOman! I had such a good time reading this book! Who knew Jasmine Guy isn't just great at being Whitley!! She is an amazing author and took us through the life of her friend Afeni Shakur who without the tumultuous life and times of her son Tupac, lived(s) a life of great accomplishment and struggle, one that should be shared and I'm happy she has! GREAT READ!
Kay D.
Aug 26, 2015 Kay D. rated it it was amazing
Jasmine Guy does a wonderful job of getting Ms. Shakur's story across. It is a touching story of love, regret, healing, and truth! Well done!
Priya
Mar 19, 2008 Priya rated it liked it
This book is actually written by Jasmine Guy (Whitley from a Different World!) It is pretty well-written and will give you a very different perspective on the Black Panther movement and its impact on Tupac's life.
Chevonne
Jun 25, 2010 Chevonne rated it really liked it
This book gives such great insight into Afeni's life & her relationships with Jasmine Guy, the Panthers, and Tupac. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. Very good Bio.
Brittany White
Hands Down, this is my FAVORITE book. The evolution of Afeni Shakur is displayed by her perseverance, strength, and determination to become a better woman and mother.
Christopher K.p.
May 14, 2010 Christopher K.p. rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years back. I love biographies and though this book was moer like a memoir, I learned a lot about Afeni. It was really hard to put the book down.
Cindy
Dec 07, 2008 Cindy rated it did not like it
Interesting but not a well written book about Afeni Shakur, the mother of Tupac, and her life before, with and after Tupac.
Megan
Apr 15, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
This was a good and insightful read.
Aaminah Shakur
Jan 28, 2011 Aaminah Shakur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
extremely important book.
  • Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery
  • We Want Freedom: A Life in the Black Panther Party
  • The Father of All Things: A Marine, His Son, and the Legacy of Vietnam
  • Left of Karl Marx: The Political Life of Black Communist Claudia Jones
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop--and Why It Matters
  • Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)
190195
Jasmine Guy is an American actress, director, singer and dancer. She is best known for her starring role as Whitley Gilbert in the television sitcom 'A Different World,' and as part of the ensemble cast of 'Dead Like Me.'
More about Jasmine Guy...