Eden

Eden

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  871 ratings  ·  54 reviews
When the world is overrun by flesh-eating zombies, the surviving humans hold up and hold on as best they can. Inside the fortified compound of Eden in Queens, New York, a man named Harris--infected by zombies--races against time to secure justice before his demise. In a world where the dead mass patiently beyond the walls of humanity's last redoubt, the danger and deceit w...more
Published March 19th 2008 by BookSurge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
133rd out of 1,148 books — 3,456 voters
Tagged by Joseph M. ChironWorld War Z by Max BrooksDay by Day Armageddon by J.L. BourneApocalyptic Empire by Chris   BlakeCell by Stephen King
Zombie Apocalypse Books
134th out of 160 books — 202 voters

More lists with this book...

J.R.
Eden is an interesting zombie apocalypse novel as it tells the story of survivors a few years after the outbreak and how they are surviving within a walled compound named Eden. As the story progresses the reader is led into a post apocalyptic world where the problems of the real world are still present and very much alive unlike the masses of infected outside the walls of Eden. We are also introduced to a few new species of zombies like the runners and brains.

Juxtaposed into the storyline are ex...more
Felicia A
I am shocked and awed, but I actually finished this book. This was no easy task for much of the book, and it took me a lot longer to read than it would have otherwise. The book is just SO poorly edited, that it's very difficult to follow.

Having said that, if you can get past that, which is extremely difficult, it does 1) get better and 2) become worth it.

As surprised as I was to have actually made myself overlook the poor editing and continue on with this book, I was just as surprised at how go...more
Patrick D'Orazio
I read a lot of zombie fiction. Just take a gander at my reviews over the past couple of years on Amazon and you will see that 95% of them are zombie fiction. No, this is not all that I read, but typically it is what I review ever since I got on my zombie reading kick a couple of years ago. I have enjoyed zombie movies for many years but I have taken it upon myself to try to read as much zombie stuff as there is available via Amazon more recently.
In this genre there are plenty of graphic novels...more
Kristen
If you are looking for a down and dirty Zombie novel, then look no farther. Provided of course that you can wade your way through multiple typos. The author has created almost the stereotypical architype of a zombie book. Masses of undead, survivors banding together, total government breakdown, slow zombies, fast zombies, loud zombies, good survivors and bad survivors - it's all here.

The timeline leaps back and forth starting from within the walls of Eden, a santuary from the undead back to prio...more
Selena
This book has to be one of the best zombie books I have read, even if I haven't read that many, but I plan to and I'm going to be reading Blood Crazy by Simon Clark next.

The fact that the chapters aren't in order makes the book just that much more enjoyable because you don'y know what's going to happen in the next chapter. The way the book is done, with the chapters being out of order, shows how life would be in an apocalypse. There are no rules or government or anything. This book is a perfect...more
Patti
I read a lot of zombie books. I mean a lot. And they have run the gamut from "How many monkeys did it take to write this tripe?" to "Well, that was an interesting story."

Then came the Eden trilogy.

Twists and turns, characters dying that you think should live, characters living that you think should die, and painfully. Yet, you care about each and every one of them because Monchinski, while not overly descriptive, gives you enough to care about the most minor of characters.

From the very first boo...more
Chris Cagle
I read this book a few years ago so I don't remember the characters names, but the premise is that there are 3 types of zombies. Walkers, Sprinters, and Thinkers. The story deals with the first 2 types very often, but the 3rd type (thankfully) isn't really ever dealt with. I have since discovered that there's a 2nd book, but since I'm sure it has the thinkers in it, I'm not going to read it.

The main setting is a compound "Eden" where several survivors live and die. And come back.
Monica
This book drove me nuts because of the errors. There were so many typing errors that it distracted me from the story. Plus, I was not a fan of the jumping around in the timeline. It would take me a while to figure out where they were were in the story. Other than that, it wasn't an awful zombie book. I plan on reading Crusade. I have hopes that it has been spellchecked.
Andrew Vachss
Joe Lansdale once told me "Charles de Lint is the only writer who could make me read about faeries." Put me down for the same my brother's having--only make mine Tony Monchinski and zombies.

Ben Davenport
Raw, and generally awesome if you can get past the typos (which aren't too bad once you're sucked in)
Pete Aldin
Terrible. I abandoned this book at page 61, after forcing myself to read those last 30 pages or so.

I am gobsmacked this book has as high a rating as it does. It is a shame I hated it, because the first chapter had me hooked. But from Chapter 2 (not that the chapters have numbers), it annoyed the hell out of me...

The narrative timeline jumps all over the place for no discernible reason. Point of view characters appear, get us to know them, then die. Somewhere amidst the chaos of out-of-sync flash...more
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
REALLY LIKED IT

The earth has been devastated by a disease that turns humans into zombies that crave human flesh and a core group of characters, some neighbors, some traveling from safe site to site across the North East of the United States try to band together to form a community in order to exist. The story centers around Harris who dreams of a zombie free life once again and reminisces about the past with the new citizens of a walled in area that protects them from the invading ho...more
Jeff French
I was debating how many stars to rate this book. I really enjoyed it, but one thing bothered me. The book flips from different time periods after every chapter. This in itself would not be so bad, but there aren't any dates to let you know what the setting of the chapter is. Sometimes new characters are introduced and you have to keep reading to find out the time relation of this chapter to the present. It also slowed the pacing of the main story. At times it was confusing, but I did get used to...more
Chelsea
For a book whose cover looks like it was made by an amateur with photoshop, this book totally blindsided me. It was great. Barnes and Noble has recommended me crap before (see The Forest of Hands and Teeth), but this one was an A+ choice. It catered to everything I loved in a zombie novel, plus some. (And, yes, I judge books by their covers.)

Most of the story revolves around a man named Harris who is doomed to die from the very first line of the book. The rest of the book follows accordingly, ta...more
Cheryl
Imagine a world where you lived in a gated community. It was you and your closest friends and neighbors. Sounds nice…so what is the catch? The catch is that you can not venture outside of the walls. For what lies beyond the walls are the remains of another world, where other friends and family may have once resided but they have all turned into zombies. Welcome to Eden.

While, I don’t really judge a book by its cover, I admit that the cover for this book was a bit corny and so, I thought the sto...more
Susanna
In some ways I enjoyed this book more than I expected and in other ways I did not. I found that I don't like the gore in your typical zombie novel. People getting their guts ripped out, being dismembered, or otherwise being ingested by the living dead is just not for me. Also, I expected a bit more social commentary or something rather than just an all-action story. There was some of this, but it remained relatively hidden. Some more came out at the end, which, as with so many series, is what ac...more
JenniferJ
I tried really hard to like this book because I am very pro zombie but it was just hard for me to get into. This is one that would have made a far better movie than book because of all the jumping around it did. It just did not read well for me because it starts out with zombies attacking then it jumps to the past then to a set of totally different folks then back to the zombie situation then another visit to the past and so on and so forth.

It's sad because it has the potential for a remarkable...more
Mike Maski
I really enjoy reading zombie novels, but this one was very difficult to get through. This is one of the worst edited books I have ever read making it very difficult to get through. The idea was interesting, but I really can not recommend this book. The author jumps so much back and forth in time that I never knew where I was in the story. Yes, this book would have worked better if someone had edited it and fixed some of the jumping around issues.

I like the story premise. The background stories...more
Trevor
Eden is a walled in community of survivors, located in post-zombie-apocalypse NYC. The walls keep the undead out, and the survivors in. One morning, Harris wakes to his bedroom being overrun by zombies, and is bit while trying to fend off the small horde. A bite is a death sentence, causing the bitten to deteriorate within hours and rise again after death. Knowing this, Harris sets out to solve the mystery of who opened Eden's gates and exact his revenge before he turns.

I loved it, but frequent...more
Alexis Winning
I kind of feel bad for this book. Not because it was poorly written, but because I have this nasty habit of reading too many books at once. I started Eden, then I started reading Stephen King's The Stand.....The Stand won, and I completely lost track of what was happening in Eden.

I will say that I do remember the last 100 pages (cause I just finished them), and by golly, it seemed like an interesting story. Nothing incredibly new for the genre, but a nicely rounded experience.

So Eden and Tony...more
Julie
I don't even know how far into this book I am. The time line is pretty annoying. The editing and errors are as well. Seriously, even microsoft word has spell check built in. (heck, even this comment box has spell check) SHOCKING!

The story was good, I liked where I thought it was going and I read every zombie book I can get my hands on. This could have been a good one.

If anyone has actually taken the time to go back and list the chapters in chronological order, I'd totally read it that way. I f...more
Ben
Couldn't get through first 50 pages. The chronology was skipping around the place without any signposts. I was looking for an entertaining read but this book had me checking back to see if I'd accidentally skipped pages as well as trying to work out who he was talking about. I wont put up with that in the highest literary novel let alone a zombie book.
Thee_ron_clark
This is what zombie novels were meant to be. Any fans of post-apocalyptic and zombie literature need to pick up a copy of this immediately. Well-written, dark, well-paced, and interest-holding. What else is needed? The only flaws I found were a few editing errors, for which I can't blame the author at all.
Suzy (ereaderuser)
A very enjoyable zombie story with a wonderful variety of characters. My only complaint was the way the author jumped back and forth between the past and the present constantly. It messed with the flow of the story and was a little difficult to follow at times.
Robert
Pretty good zombie story. Kept it interesting by jumping around. The beginning giving us the end was cool but smearing the hero is not a good way to go. Also giving a pothead that much intelllectual credit bothers me. Bah, you can't like everything.
Dale
This is the best zombie book I have ever read. (It is also the only zombie book I have ever read.)
I would have prefered more character development. The detailed descriptions of killing the zombies gets boring at times.
Ralph Meta
One of the best, most well written, and creative books about the zombie apocalypse that I have found to date. I actually bought this one as a paperback a few years ago and I have read it three times since then.
S.P. Durnin
Brutal, frightening, gore-soaked and utterly satisfying.

Monchinski has brought about an ugly, hideous and truly inspired tale of the zombie apocalypse. From the first page, you'll be sucked in.

BRAVO!
Jim
Carol
Jul 22, 2013 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie fans and anyone who enjoyed the style of the Time Travelers Wife
Recommended to Carol by: Jim Enderby
Shelves: brains, group-reads

I liked it, it was not what I was expecting from a zombie novel! I mean it starts with the main character getting bitten in his home and racing out Rambo style, in nothing but a bed sheet and belts of ammo, to deal with the hoards of undead. Brilliant!!

But where do you go from there?? Our hero is going to die horribly and there is only so long you can drag that out no matter how super tough you make him.

So, how do we get a whole story out of this doomed man? You write it in a series of non-lin

• Kings of the Dead
  • Down the Road
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Domain of the Dead
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • After the End
  • The Infection
  • After Life
  • The Dead
  • Blood Crazy
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • Zombie CSU
  • Xombies
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)