Bitten: A Romantic Comedy

Bitten: A Romantic Comedy (Trust Williams Trilogy #1-2)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  126 reviews
"I remember the disappointment I had felt about Tennessee and the fear I had experienced worrying about being stung by bugs. I looked at Grace. Who knew I would be bitten so hard?" Serving as a missionary in Thelma's Way, Tennessee, is an unforgettable colorful, and bewildering experience for Trust Williams. (The bugs are the least of his problems.) But as Trust settles in...more
Published May 14th 2008 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitten

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgeThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess Academy by Shannon Hale
Fairytale - Clean romances
73rd out of 209 books — 132 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
200th out of 455 books — 399 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
After a few paragraphs I realized this book was familiar. I quickly thumbed through it and realized that I had already read this book, but it was two separate books under different titles. Originally they were: All is Swell: Trust in Thelma's Way and Falling for Grace: Trust at the End of the World. There is a third book in the trilogy that is not part of this one, it is:Love's Labors Tossed: Trust and the Final Fling (which was my least favorite of the three). Bitten is supposed to be a condens...more
Jul 22, 2008 Laura added it
Okay...so this author dude (whatever his name is) has written a trilogy about some people named Trust and Grace. Little did i know this book "Bitten" are those exact same books combined into one thicker book. It's exaclty the same. I thought that was dumb, why would you want to do that?? I didn't really like those books either. I don't get this guys writing.
Crystal
An lds romance novel, which usually I don't read or like, but I was given it to read and I was actually surprised that I
enjoyed the first 250 pages immensely!
It follows a missionary who serves in the backwoods hick town for the majority of te mission and it is hilarious! I just laughed so hard at the people!
You know those books which you read anthat ends all perfect and cute and you just want more? Well that moment was on page 242. And I should have left it at that. maybe even had 5 stars.
But...more
Margo Kelly
This was a funny book. I got a real kick out of it. While I love getting a lot of pages for my dollar, I think this story would have been better served in two separate books. There was a definite point about half way through the book where the plot completely changed.

The story is about an LDS missionary who is disappointed with his call to serve in Tennessee (instead of a foreign mission). He ends up falling in love with the people he serves, and falling in love with a girl from Tennessee.

The au...more
Nicole
this is a really good book. it's sweet, and frusterating. one of the characters changed from one half of the book to the other, and the beginning was a bit... boring. but it builds, and you really start to enjoy the characters and the setting. really good road trip read, but if you cant sit for hours at a time, then it will take you a while to read. you just need to get into it. so give it a chance!
Heather
This was fun! I have read at least one other book by this author and I enjoy his stories a lot. They have the funniest characters and situations and I find myself laughing out loud. A fun escape from reality because there can't really be people like this in real life...right?
Tracy
Very quirky, very Mormon - at least the Mormons I know. The best folks are always quirky.

So many members of the church talk about how the "Utah Mormons" are so different from the rest of the Mormons, and sometgimes I see their point, I have to admit. On the other hand, Ialso see folks who are really trying to be the best they can be. It seems they sometimes fall out of touch with reality. What I mean by that is that when you're surrounded by people just like you, you sometimes lose sight of life...more
Raya
I really like Robert F. Smith. He's clever. He's clean. He's so funny.

I have waited to read this book for a couple years.

This is my opinion of it: It's long. Too long. I felt like it was almost 2 books in one. I don't know if I would have appreciated it broken up, or in one long book. The first half of the book was during Trust's mission. The second half was a few months after his mission. You can see how it drags out.

Robert F. Smith used his usual wit creating more back woods, crazy people t...more
Shaylene Johnson
"Bitten" by Robert Farrell Smith is not about vampires. "Bitten" is about 19 year old Trust Williams and his mission to Thelma's Way, Tennessee. Trust is sent to a small town in the back hills of Tennessee. The town is full of way-ward Mormons who have gone inactive thanks to a local apostate who is blamed for stealing the town Book of Mormon. Trust's job is to reactivate the town all the while the town is preparing for a pageant about how Parly P. Pratt came into town.

This book is absolutely h...more
Debbie
Brad's Aunt gave me this book to read, so I decided to read it while I was waiting for some holds at the library. I'm not usually one to enjoy "cheesy" LDS books, but this book was truly HILARIOUS. I was laughing out loud through so much of it. Obviously not very realistic in most parts (if you don't like reading about far-fetched LDS cliches, this book is not for you), but it had an extremely good message and overall feeling to the book. I highly recommend it.

From reading reviews of this book o...more
Lorell
I love Smith's writing style, and this book was both charming and hilarious. This was an entertaining yarn about a guy named Trust, who gets called on a church mission to the remote town of Thelma's Way, Tennessee. The mix of characters and funny antics of those both in Thelma's Way and Trust's hometown of Southdale, UT had me laughing as I read this book. A giant loaf of bread, a healing Ace bandage, bags of licorice floating by after a flood, and a missing heirloom copy of The Book of Mormon k...more
Brooke
Meh. The book was longer than it needed to be... it could have been two books: the mission and after the mission. I hated how his girlfriend trusted someone she hardly knew over him for the longest time and flattered herself that the tension between the guys was jealous guy stuff instead of seeing that there might really be a problem. I don't like reading books with that kind of conflict because it stresses me out and bugs me until it is resolved. If they would just talk... if they would just tr...more
Kristyn
Despite the title, this book has nothing to do with vampires. Apparently it's two books, combined into one, which explains why it seemed to take me forever to read it.

It was funny, in a very quirky way. I don't think he describes one person in the whole book that sounds even somewhat normal. Hopefully nobody knows that many weird people. I kind of expected it from the backwoods Tennessee town, but I think his hometown people sounded just as odd.

I was entertained, but in more of a 'shock and awe'...more
Bridgett
I hate to give poor reviews, but this book was so hard for me to finish. I think the most problem I had with it was the humor, it was hard for me to grasp. Once I kindof caught on to the humor there were some pretty funny parts. The main character goes on a mission for the LDS church to a po-dunk town and becomes entangled with the residence there. Once he was immersed in their world the humor and characters made more sense. Later in the book some of these characters are back in the "real" world...more
Marie
Nov 30, 2008 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS People
Recommended to Marie by: Natasha
Shelves: novels
Ryceejo
Mar 16, 2014 Ryceejo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
I wasn't crazy about this book at the beginning but it grew on me, especially the subplot involving Trust's dad. Charming read and downright hilarious at times!
Genevieve
This author is the same one who wrote the Leven Thumps series (Obert Skye). I'm giving this book 5 stars not for the stellar writing or thrilling plot because his books don't fall into those categories. I'm giving the book 5 stars because to me it's just so entertaining. I don't laugh a lot with books and when I find one that gets me laughing multiple times I think it's magical. This book is for you if you enjoy the Mormon comedy movies like "RM", "Singles Ward" (although I didn't care for that...more
Deana
Jul 21, 2009 Deana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Deana by: found it at the library
This was a very unusual book. It was full of a big, long, tall tale about a missionary who serves in a po-dunk town and goes back after his mission to date a girl from there.

I classified this as humorous and a love story. Humorous is to be debated. I didn't really laugh out loud, but the book really is meant to be ridiculously funny. Everyone in the story has over-exaggerated issues that are meant to be humorous.

This was a love story but not the kind that just grips your heart. It is actually pr...more
Erin
THIS IS NOT A VAMPIRE BOOK like I assumed it would be. This was awesome. :)

I was laughing so hard that I was crying through so much of this book. I kept reading passages aloud to my Hubby. You totally either need to be LDS or know enough about LDS culture to "get" everything. I loved this.
I think the coolest thing about this book is that it makes you realize that there are strange people everywhere, even in our own circle of friends, so you can't really judge others.

I highly recommend this, it...more
Once again LDS Fiction.... not a fan. My younger sis-n-law was reading this book about a year back. She told me it was about a missionary who falls in love with a girl on his mission. My first thought was, "what in the heck is this garbage?!" I started to read, and this book is LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY! And its not just about a missionary falling in love with a girl. It's about a very very very small town with quirky characters that you can't get enough of. It's an easy read and you will laugh. A lo...more
Marina
This book was absolutely hilarious. I loved all of the characters in this. Romantic comedies are always my favorite, so this book was perfect for me. It was fun, quirky, romantic, and just great all around. It was interesting, though, how it had multiple plots and climaxes. (it makes sense though, now knowing that it's two books in one.) The only thing was that it was a little hard to keep track of all of the characters and who was who. But overall, this was a great book.
Teri
This book was originally published as 2 different books, so it was a bit long, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed this book a lot. It's a romance of sorts while being a story about a funny group of people deep in the Tenessee hills (now if that doesn't tell you what kind of characters you are going to run into, I don't know what will). The mishaps and characters you will sett in this story are too funny! Enjoy a quick and easy read writted for an LDS audience.
Becca
Oct 08, 2008 Becca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: lds
I thought this book was hilarious but also had a good message. It reminded me of when someone asks you why you were late and you tell them and it is so bizzaro that there is no way it could be made up. As I am reading this book I thought, surely there has to be a town just like this, with real people who are exactly like these people and there is someone out there who is going through this exact same thing. Especially in mormon land.
Mariana
This is an abridged version of three of his other books that I really liked, but I didn't figure that out until I was 1/2 way through the first chapter. I kept thinking, this is just like his other book, why would he use the same characters. I finally read the really small print on the copyright page and saw it was his other books. What a disappointment, I was looking forward to reading something new by this author.
Cindy Hale
As an LDS girl from Tennessee, I was eager to read this book, but I was sorely disappointed! Some of the jokes were funny, but the book wasn't realistic at all. I'm not sure the author has even been to Tennessee. Everything just seemed over exaggerated and he made Tennessee seem like some backwoodsy place. It's possible that there is a place like the town described in the book, but the whole thing just gave me the creeps.
Stephanie Miller
My friend lent me this book and I just never got around to sitting down and reading it. Last night I finally started reading it and I'm glad I did! It was funny and the characters were so endearing. I liked how even though Trust had feelings for Grace, he tried to focus on his mission an was upfront with his mission president. I love the people from Thelma's Way, they're adorable! Glad I finally read it!
Denise
Aug 17, 2010 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a light read, but a good laugh!
Recommended to Denise by: Momma :)
Emma (Hopeful Happiness)
First of all I really think the length of this book was incredibly unnecessary. The editor should have cut out a lot of the fluff. This mostly felt like a bad Mormon Film like "The Home Teachers." There were moments that it was funny but most of these characters were way too over the top and after awhile that got ridiculous to me. There really isn't anything left to say. This book is eh, ok.
AnnaMarie
I laughed out loud so many times during this book. I found myself reading portions to my husband while laughing so hard tears leaked out. So much fun. I would have given more stars if the humor hadn't dropped off in the second half, but hey, it was advertised as a romantic comedy and it is hard to maintain romance with too much comedy thrown in. For you Mormons in search of a laugh.
Glenn Short
This book is typical Mormon market fiction and I picked it up several years ago and just got around to reading it. I did not read this book in its other forms so there was no disappointment there. It was okay, even for fiction I thought there were some plausibility issues. The story really dragged for me at some spots. There are better things to do with one's time.
  • Cross My Heart
  • Surrounded By Strangers
  • Macady
  • Finding Paradise
  • Echoes
  • Welcome to Stalk Lake City (Rhea Jensen, #2)
  • Time and Eternity
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
  • Edge of Night
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • Pearls and Peril (Gems and Espionage, #2)
  • Cankered Roots
  • Trial of the Heart
  • All the Stars in Heaven
Baptists at Our Barbecue All is Swell: Trust in Thelma's Way Falling for Grace: Trust at the End of the World (Trust Williams Trilogy) Love's Labors Tossed: Trust and the Final Fling (Trust Williams Trilogy) For Time & All Absurdity