Start by marking “Being Peace (Being Peace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Being Peace (Being Peace, #1)

Being Peace (Being Peace)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  6,963 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Since its publication in 1987, "Being Peace" has become a classic of contemporary religious literature. In his simple and readable style, Thich Nhat Hanh shows how our state of mind and body can make the world a peaceful place. We learn to transform the very situations that pressure and antagonize us into opportunities for practicing mindfulness.
Published March 1st 1988 by Parallax Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Being Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Peace

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönThe Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
A Buddhist Reading List
18th out of 681 books — 877 voters
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiThe Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat HanhTaking the Path of Zen by Robert AitkenBeing Peace by Thich Nhat HanhFrom Buddha to Jesus by Steve Cioccolanti
Zen Books for Beginners
4th out of 63 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 10, 2007 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
Even though some references are a little dated (Cold War), this book is entirely relevant now: in order to achieve peace, we each have to become peaceful. We can't wait for peace to happen, we must live it.
Nov 22, 2012 jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gen-nonfiction
i found this book far more rewarding than i had expected it to be. thich nhat hanh, vietnamese poet, peace activist, and buddhist monk, has written dozens of books, many that incorporate the related themes of non-violence and zen buddhism. being peace, originally published some twenty-five years ago, is a slim affair, but contains a wealth of practical insight. nhat hanh focuses his book on the subjects of suffering, perception, non-duality, interbeing, meditation, and peace work, offering a str ...more
Michael Armijo
Nov 10, 2010 Michael Armijo rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by a 'fellow photographer' friend named Beth Lambert of CANADA. It's an EXCELLENT read for any one. I also introduced it to a young man in France (who was still 'finding himself'--Frederic Deltour) and he often tells me that the book changed/improved his LIFE.

This is the perfect book for MINDFULNESS TRAINING--something we ALL need from time to time. ;)

Words that impacted me in this book:

If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can blossom like a flower, and everyone in o
Jun 26, 2007 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, recommended by my then therapist, skewed my vision for the better. Instead of seeing black & white, I started seeing and understanding all the shades of grey. The Middle Way. A little hokey, but whatever, it works if you want it to.
Jan 31, 2016 Phyllis rated it really liked it
A book to keep.
Alok Pandey
May 06, 2015 Alok Pandey rated it it was ok
This is a quintessential 'good book' - in the sense that it has nothing that you can disapprove of, but again, nothing that you don't know already. Yeah, one must be good, the book says. But how, the book doesn't talk more about that. Yeah, you shouldn't get angry and value others' opinion as much as yours, the book says. But what if you are dealing with a certified moron and unarguably and irrefutably absurd opinions, the book err.. doesn't talk about that.
At times, I felt like the author start
Oct 26, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
The more we see, the more we understand. The more we understand, the easier it is for us to have compassion and love. Understanding is the source of love. Understanding is love itself. p.107

This book is incredibly inspiring and insightful. Thich Nhat Hanh writes in a simple and beautiful way and introduces us the teachings of Buddhism and how to use these teachings and guidelines in our daily lives. He educates us on how to be more peaceful and work for peace in order to make our society more li
Mar 25, 2016 Katy rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Like most Thich Nhat Hanh books, this is a very sweet and very simple book. Good advice. Not complicated. Just clear and direct. Maybe too simple on a couple of points -- not sure. He seems to say that we won't change things by demonstrating. Not sure about that. But being peaceful, clearheaded and calm while planning and participating in a demonstration seems like a good idea.
Apr 01, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
In which I learned that Thich Nhat Hanh's way of offering Buddhism to westerners is one of those simple-but-difficult, deep ideas. Just breathe and smile.
Feb 04, 2015 Nshslibrary rated it really liked it
Everyday life is at times filled with stress, confusion, worrying and even suffering. People tend to live their lives in a rush; going for one place to another without ever truly noticing or appreciating the world around them. Thich Nhat Hanh’s book "Being Peace" is all about the importance of being in synch with the wonders of the world, living in the moment, and most of all the effect of being happy and at peace with oneself and how this affects the lives of the people around us.

Thich Nhat Han
Aug 27, 2016 Tanvika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: living-now
A treasure trove beyond any stars.
Being peace is as the name suggests about creating a peaceful, caring, joyous,compassionate,humane individuals, society and world.
A synopsis of the essential rubies in the chapter will be quite useful for the aspiring reader and practitioner:
1. 'suffering is enough '
Life has joys and sorrows. We look generally in a skewed manner to the dark. There is also a tendency to escape by TV , telephone etc.Thict suggests being present in the moment while drinking tea,
Sep 07, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
A great book! It's a collection of Thich Nhat Hanh's lectures that he gave to peaceworkers and meditation students during his tour of Buddhist centers in 1985. Among many things, he talks about walking meditation, sitting meditation, how our environment affects us and the manner in which we handle situations affects not only us, but those around us. Definitely a book that should be read several times throughout a lifetime...and should be given as a gift to others.
Sep 12, 2016 Cynda rated it it was amazing
1st Read: Worth reading several times over. I have direction on how to deepen my Buddha practice. I will need to read this book numerous times. Fortunately, such a short book, only 115 pages.

2nd Read: I will read this book repeatedly and practice a bit here and a bit here my Buddha nature until it becomes my usual nature.

Fry (Evra) Morgan
Feb 27, 2016 Fry (Evra) Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another soft book, by Hanh. I read "Living Buudha, Living Christ" first, then found this one.

Hanh doesn't really say anything "new," mindfulness meditation and Buddhism have been around for centuries, we all know about them. He just suggests a nonconventional approach to daily life (I speak from our Western standpoint).
As you read, you'll find yourself thinking, "I never thought of it that way, I think I should try that."

Mindfulness meditation isn't a way out, it is a different way through. It'
Aug 06, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful poem that has greatly impacted my own life: "Please Call Me By My True Names"

Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
because even today I still arrive.

Look deeply: I arrive in every second
to be a bud on a spring branch,
to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
learning to sing in my new nest,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
in order to fear and to hope.
The rhythm of my heart is the bir
Mar 27, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
What a beautiful, quiet, insightful and enlightening book. As soon as I finished this book I wanted to read it again immediately. I got so much out of it the first time through, and I have a feeling I will get more out of every re-read.

I haven't read much about Buddhism, so I didn't start this book with a lot of preconceived notions or expectations. However, I did read this book in the middle of taking an extended yoga workshop, and reading about meditation really helped my yoga practice, and m
Jul 16, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mindfulness
Not as much of a favorite as Mindfulness in Plain English or Full Catastrophe Living, but still very good (and no doubt this is the direction those other books would take if they hadn't been so Westernized). This book is more what I would describe as an introduction to radical Buddhism. I agree with a lot of what Hanh says in terms of making mindfulness and loving compassion part of a daily practice that's not confined to a meditation space, and also what he says about the interconnectedness of ...more
Laurie Buchanan
Apr 15, 2009 Laurie Buchanan rated it it was amazing
I recommend it on my top-ten list of Peace resources. In order to achieve peace, we must be peace. This simple truth is the theme of this inspiring collection of lectures, given by Buddhist monk, scholar, poet and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh. If we are to change the world, he explains, we need to begin with ourselves, and awaken that eternal part of us where true peace resides - our own Buddha nature.

His straight forward writing style helps a person to realise how easy this awakening can act
Aug 21, 2015 Shante rated it it was amazing
This is a simple read reminding us that we are all Buddhas. Being Peace reminded me, personally, my peace is part and parcel to everyone's peace. Topics include meditation, resolving conflicts, Feng shui, and world peace. Although the references are dated, this book is forever relevant. I found myself thinking about current events as Hanh spoke of past wars. He offers that one must understand, and be compassionate towards, both sides in order to resolve a problem. A quote from the last chapter: ...more
Jan 25, 2009 Karena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put, "let peace begin with me" and "let me begin with peace." I always find Thitch Nhat Hanh's writings to be simple, inspiring and refreshing. His messages are so powerful that they stay with me, and I find myself coming back to them or realizing them in my daily life. While he often references Buddhist teachings, his writings are about life, about love, about understanding. The teachings and stories transcend Buddhism and offer simple ways that everyone in the world can find peace in th ...more
Feb 15, 2009 Julia rated it liked it
Hmm. It's funny to only give three stars to a book by someone who I think deserves 5+ stars for his actual work in the world...but I think I like Pema Chodron better, at least for easily accessible writings about embodying Buddhist ideals out in the messy real world. It's not that this wasn't easy to read--it was--but felt a little toooooo easy at points. Like, if you've never read anything about engaged Buddhism, here's a good starting point. I still found it a thoughtful and warm review/introd ...more
Sep 22, 2016 TK421 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Peace: not a new concept. But, today, it does seem novel. Smile. Breathe. Be mindful. Repeat.
Huy Nguyen
Jul 04, 2016 Huy Nguyen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
noi dung nhe nhang, doc mot leo suot 2h la xong, hoan hi.
Akhil Jain
Jul 18, 2016 Akhil Jain rated it really liked it
Quotes i like:
• When Siddhartha was very young, he began to think that life contained a lot of suffering, that people didn't love and understand each other enough. We are not capable of understanding each other, and that is the main source of human suffering.
• One feeling lasts for a while, and then another comes, and another, as if there is a stream of feelings for us to deal with. Practicing meditation is to be aware of each feeling
• The Buddha told a story about this. A young widower, who lov
Eli Mead
Feb 07, 2016 Eli Mead rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
It's hard to pinpoint the exact purpose of this book because it has several purposes. I think it would be more appropriate to say that this book is best viewed as a journey. It's not a long one by any means, but it is not one that should be rushed along either.
Being Peace covers many subjects from the ideas of death and knowledge, as well as our place in life; not only for ourselves, but also for our children and those around us.
The book works to establish a dialogue about peace between Nhat Han
May 28, 2015 Judith rated it liked it
I read this book being part of a group that studies the similarities of some of the aspects of other religions to Christianity. This is not the first book we explored on the concepts of Buddhism, but it is the first that explained that Buddhism differs somewhat from country to country. Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese monk who did much to help his people during and following the war in his country. Later, he was unable to return to Vietnam after his work and now lives in a community in the south ...more
Oct 19, 2011 Suphatra rated it really liked it
This was one of the best books I've read in Buddhism. I liked that it gave practical and applicable meditation tips and weaved in the current state of global affairs. The way Hanh writes -- his sentence structure, word choice, flow -- emanates peacefulness. I found myself feeling peaceful whenever I was reading it and for a little while afterwards. Really great read for someone trying to practice Buddhism (might be confusing for someone trying to learn the basics of Buddhist philosophy).
"The paper is made of all the non-paper elements to the extent that if we return the non-paper elements to their sources, the cloud to the sky, the sunshine to the sun, the logger to his father, the paper is empty. Empty of what? Empty of a separate self. Empty, in this sense, means that the paper is full of everything, the entire cosmos. The presence of this tiny sheet of paper proves the essence of the whole Universe."

Beautiful passage. We are interconnected to everything in existence. We are
A.H. Haar
Aug 07, 2015 A.H. Haar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, buddhism
This book was lent to me at a very difficult time in my life. I was having severe anxiety related to... well everything basically. It kept me house bound, bed bound, bound period.

This book is a treasure. It will help you if you want it to help you.
Lorraine Norris
Sep 17, 2007 Lorraine Norris rated it it was amazing
Multiple amazing bodhissatvas for daily life. Insights into how to be a better person through breathing, mantras, and re-formulating your mind to see more positive things in the world around you.
Reading Peace : December's Pick and Mindful Monday Sale 14 74 Dec 14, 2014 01:10PM
  • The Wisdom of No Escape: How to Love Yourself and Your World
  • A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

Being Peace (2 books)
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Being Peace, #2)

“Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.” 478 likes
“For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.” 406 likes