Start by marking “Being Peace (Being Peace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Being Peace (Being Peace, #1)

Being Peace (Being Peace)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,492 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Since its publication in 1987, "Being Peace" has become a classic of contemporary religious literature. In his simple and readable style, Thich Nhat Hanh shows how our state of mind and body can make the world a peaceful place. We learn to transform the very situations that pressure and antagonize us into opportunities for practicing mindfulness.
Published March 1st 1988 by Parallax Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Being Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Peace

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönPeace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh
A Buddhist Reading List
19th out of 659 books — 813 voters
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiThe Miracle of Mindfulness by Thích Nhất HạnhTaking the Path of Zen by Robert AitkenWhat the Buddha Taught by Walpola RahulaBeing Peace by Thích Nhất Hạnh
Zen Books for Beginners
5th out of 61 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Anita
Jul 10, 2007 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
Even though some references are a little dated (Cold War), this book is entirely relevant now: in order to achieve peace, we each have to become peaceful. We can't wait for peace to happen, we must live it.
jeremy
Nov 22, 2012 jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gen-nonfiction
i found this book far more rewarding than i had expected it to be. thich nhat hanh, vietnamese poet, peace activist, and buddhist monk, has written dozens of books, many that incorporate the related themes of non-violence and zen buddhism. being peace, originally published some twenty-five years ago, is a slim affair, but contains a wealth of practical insight. nhat hanh focuses his book on the subjects of suffering, perception, non-duality, interbeing, meditation, and peace work, offering a str ...more
Michael Armijo
Nov 10, 2010 Michael Armijo rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by a 'fellow photographer' friend named Beth Lambert of CANADA. It's an EXCELLENT read for any one. I also introduced it to a young man in France (who was still 'finding himself'--Frederic Deltour) and he often tells me that the book changed/improved his LIFE.

This is the perfect book for MINDFULNESS TRAINING--something we ALL need from time to time. ;)

Words that impacted me in this book:

If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can blossom like a flower, and everyone in o
Alok Pandey
May 06, 2015 Alok Pandey rated it it was ok
This is a quintessential 'good book' - in the sense that it has nothing that you can disapprove of, but again, nothing that you don't know already. Yeah, one must be good, the book says. But how, the book doesn't talk more about that. Yeah, you shouldn't get angry and value others' opinion as much as yours, the book says. But what if you are dealing with a certified moron and unarguably and irrefutably absurd opinions, the book err.. doesn't talk about that.
At times, I felt like the author start
Phyllis
Jan 31, 2016 Phyllis rated it really liked it
A book to keep.
Mary
Jun 26, 2007 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, recommended by my then therapist, skewed my vision for the better. Instead of seeing black & white, I started seeing and understanding all the shades of grey. The Middle Way. A little hokey, but whatever, it works if you want it to.
Joanna
Oct 26, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
The more we see, the more we understand. The more we understand, the easier it is for us to have compassion and love. Understanding is the source of love. Understanding is love itself. p.107

This book is incredibly inspiring and insightful. Thich Nhat Hanh writes in a simple and beautiful way and introduces us the teachings of Buddhism and how to use these teachings and guidelines in our daily lives. He educates us on how to be more peaceful and work for peace in order to make our society more li
David
Apr 01, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
In which I learned that Thich Nhat Hanh's way of offering Buddhism to westerners is one of those simple-but-difficult, deep ideas. Just breathe and smile.
Nshslibrary
Feb 04, 2015 Nshslibrary rated it really liked it
Everyday life is at times filled with stress, confusion, worrying and even suffering. People tend to live their lives in a rush; going for one place to another without ever truly noticing or appreciating the world around them. Thich Nhat Hanh’s book "Being Peace" is all about the importance of being in synch with the wonders of the world, living in the moment, and most of all the effect of being happy and at peace with oneself and how this affects the lives of the people around us.

Thich Nhat Han
Karen
Sep 07, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
A great book! It's a collection of Thich Nhat Hanh's lectures that he gave to peaceworkers and meditation students during his tour of Buddhist centers in 1985. Among many things, he talks about walking meditation, sitting meditation, how our environment affects us and the manner in which we handle situations affects not only us, but those around us. Definitely a book that should be read several times throughout a lifetime...and should be given as a gift to others.
Lauren
Aug 06, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful poem that has greatly impacted my own life: "Please Call Me By My True Names"

Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
because even today I still arrive.

Look deeply: I arrive in every second
to be a bud on a spring branch,
to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
learning to sing in my new nest,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
in order to fear and to hope.
The rhythm of my heart is the bir
Holly
Mar 27, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
What a beautiful, quiet, insightful and enlightening book. As soon as I finished this book I wanted to read it again immediately. I got so much out of it the first time through, and I have a feeling I will get more out of every re-read.

I haven't read much about Buddhism, so I didn't start this book with a lot of preconceived notions or expectations. However, I did read this book in the middle of taking an extended yoga workshop, and reading about meditation really helped my yoga practice, and m
Kevin
Jul 16, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mindfulness
Not as much of a favorite as Mindfulness in Plain English or Full Catastrophe Living, but still very good (and no doubt this is the direction those other books would take if they hadn't been so Westernized). This book is more what I would describe as an introduction to radical Buddhism. I agree with a lot of what Hanh says in terms of making mindfulness and loving compassion part of a daily practice that's not confined to a meditation space, and also what he says about the interconnectedness of ...more
Laurie Buchanan
Apr 15, 2009 Laurie Buchanan rated it it was amazing
I recommend it on my top-ten list of Peace resources. In order to achieve peace, we must be peace. This simple truth is the theme of this inspiring collection of lectures, given by Buddhist monk, scholar, poet and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh. If we are to change the world, he explains, we need to begin with ourselves, and awaken that eternal part of us where true peace resides - our own Buddha nature.

His straight forward writing style helps a person to realise how easy this awakening can act
Shante
Aug 21, 2015 Shante rated it it was amazing
This is a simple read reminding us that we are all Buddhas. Being Peace reminded me, personally, my peace is part and parcel to everyone's peace. Topics include meditation, resolving conflicts, Feng shui, and world peace. Although the references are dated, this book is forever relevant. I found myself thinking about current events as Hanh spoke of past wars. He offers that one must understand, and be compassionate towards, both sides in order to resolve a problem. A quote from the last chapter: ...more
Karena
Jan 25, 2009 Karena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put, "let peace begin with me" and "let me begin with peace." I always find Thitch Nhat Hanh's writings to be simple, inspiring and refreshing. His messages are so powerful that they stay with me, and I find myself coming back to them or realizing them in my daily life. While he often references Buddhist teachings, his writings are about life, about love, about understanding. The teachings and stories transcend Buddhism and offer simple ways that everyone in the world can find peace in th ...more
Julia
Feb 15, 2009 Julia rated it liked it
Hmm. It's funny to only give three stars to a book by someone who I think deserves 5+ stars for his actual work in the world...but I think I like Pema Chodron better, at least for easily accessible writings about embodying Buddhist ideals out in the messy real world. It's not that this wasn't easy to read--it was--but felt a little toooooo easy at points. Like, if you've never read anything about engaged Buddhism, here's a good starting point. I still found it a thoughtful and warm review/introd ...more
Eli Mead
Feb 07, 2016 Eli Mead rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
It's hard to pinpoint the exact purpose of this book because it has several purposes. I think it would be more appropriate to say that this book is best viewed as a journey. It's not a long one by any means, but it is not one that should be rushed along either.
Being Peace covers many subjects from the ideas of death and knowledge, as well as our place in life; not only for ourselves, but also for our children and those around us.
The book works to establish a dialogue about peace between Nhat Han
Judith
May 28, 2015 Judith rated it liked it
I read this book being part of a group that studies the similarities of some of the aspects of other religions to Christianity. This is not the first book we explored on the concepts of Buddhism, but it is the first that explained that Buddhism differs somewhat from country to country. Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese monk who did much to help his people during and following the war in his country. Later, he was unable to return to Vietnam after his work and now lives in a community in the south ...more
Suphatra
Oct 19, 2011 Suphatra rated it really liked it
This was one of the best books I've read in Buddhism. I liked that it gave practical and applicable meditation tips and weaved in the current state of global affairs. The way Hanh writes -- his sentence structure, word choice, flow -- emanates peacefulness. I found myself feeling peaceful whenever I was reading it and for a little while afterwards. Really great read for someone trying to practice Buddhism (might be confusing for someone trying to learn the basics of Buddhist philosophy).
A.H. Haar
Aug 07, 2015 A.H. Haar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, buddhism
This book was lent to me at a very difficult time in my life. I was having severe anxiety related to... well everything basically. It kept me house bound, bed bound, bound period.

This book is a treasure. It will help you if you want it to help you.
Lorraine Norris
Sep 17, 2007 Lorraine Norris rated it it was amazing
Multiple amazing bodhissatvas for daily life. Insights into how to be a better person through breathing, mantras, and re-formulating your mind to see more positive things in the world around you.
Benjamin Potash
Oct 25, 2011 Benjamin Potash rated it it was amazing
Amazing! By far my favorite Thich Nhat Hanh book. I'll write a real review later, but it is one that I will continue to read and work on forever. Loved, loved loved it.
KristenR
Oct 25, 2014 KristenR rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book about the practice of Buddhism and meditation in every day life, particularly in the cultivation of peace.
David
Mar 28, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thich Nhat Hanh's "Being Peace" is an excellent book. It contains a collection of teachings written by Nhat Hanh that cover typical Buddhist topics including (but not limited to) peace, consciousness, interbeing, meditation, love, understanding, and mindfulness. The wisdom found throughout the book has the potential to awaken readers that have an open mind. There is something about his writing style that makes for easy reading and his message seems to be absorbed subconsciously in my mind. Havin ...more
Carol
Nov 12, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
Meditation is not to get out of society, to escape from society, but to prepare for a reentry into society. We call this "engaged Buddhism."

Sometimes it's helpful to go back to the beginning, the basics, to get re-centered, re-grounded. Even though this book's source is from talks given 30 years ago, the message is still fresh, helpful, timely ... and, perhaps given the state of our world, urgent. For me it served as encouragement of ongoing meditation and mindfulness practice ... awareness, pea
Azaa Kh
Dec 20, 2015 Azaa Kh rated it liked it
"Meditation is not to get out of society, to escape from society, but to prepare into society."

"Understanding and love are not two things, but one.
...When you understand, you love."

"Sometime, somewhere you take something to be the truth. If you cling it so much, when the truth comes in person and knocks you at your door, you will not open it.
Guarding knowledge is not a good way to understand. Understanding means to throw away your knowledge."

"...I use the image of water to talk about understandi
Nhu
Jul 28, 2015 Nhu rated it really liked it
"Happiness is available. Please help yourself to it."

"If you cannot be compassionate to yourself, you will not be able to be compassionate to others."

"In Buddhism, knowledge is regarded as an obstacle to understanding... It is said that if we take one thing to be the truth and cling to it, even if truth itself comes in person and knocks at our door, we won't open it. For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them."

"The Buddhist way of understanding is
Fred Kohn
Apr 13, 2014 Fred Kohn rated it it was amazing
I found this book far more rewarding than Living Buddha, Living Christ, the only other book I have read by this author. I also enjoy books by the Dalai Lama, but Thích Nhất Hạnh is more accessible to the Western mind, I think. In this book I found many insights that I will try incorporating into my own practice, as well as a lot of quotable material that I have written into my notes.
Cherry
Feb 17, 2013 Cherry rated it liked it
My 33rd birthday present from one of my favorites. I have a few of this other books, but had not dove into them yet. I'm sure this will be a catalyst for exploring the others. What's fabulous about his books are that the chapters are short, which allows the reader to take it piece by piece---read a chapter and then journal/think. Here are a few key themes that resonated with me.

POEM:
Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment
I know this is a wonderful mom
Reading Peace : December's Pick and Mindful Monday Sale 14 73 Dec 14, 2014 01:10PM
  • The Wisdom of No Escape: How to Love Yourself and Your World
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • The Essence of Buddhism: An Introduction to Its Philosophy and Practice
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...

Being Peace (2 books)
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Being Peace, #2)

“Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.” 451 likes
“For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.” 378 likes