Start by marking “The Complete Tales and Poems” as Want to Read:
The Complete Tales and Poems

The Complete Tales and Poems (The Works of Edgar Allan Poe [Cameo Edition])

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  163,288 Ratings  ·  1,501 Reviews
"Originally published by The Modern Library in 1938"--T.p. verso.
Published September 1st 1975 by Turtleback Books (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Tales and Poems, please sign up.

Mark
Jan 04, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know exhilaration without being immersed in disgust.
How could I not love this book? Shortly after reading Poe's complete works as a teenager, my family was transferred to Fort Monroe in southern Virginia. While waiting for permanent housing, I ended up staying in the house (and the very bedroom) that Poe had been in while he served on the base. Pulling out this book and reading it in the very space where Poe had suffered through depression and anxiety was exhilarating. While I realized the morbid nature of my glee, it somehow seemed appropriate a ...more
Councillor
Reading "The Complete Stories and Poems" will be a hell of a time-consuming project, but as I feel honored to call Edgar Allan Poe one of my all-time favorite authors, the only option to give his writing abilities justice is to read his stories and poems in their entirety. My intention is to update this review with my thoughts on all the stories and poems Poe has ever written constantly until I've completed my way through (however, I'll probably not always add it to my update feed in order to no ...more
Bookworm Sean
Dec 06, 2015 Bookworm Sean is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poe
This update has been a long time coming. I’m slowly working my way through Poe’s entire works, and I will post a separate review for each major short story as I go along. Many of them are so deep and profound that they each require their own review. I couldn’t possibly provide a fair review for his short stories in just one overall review; it would be to do them an injustice.

So, there’s going to be lots of reviews of Edgar Allan Poe’s work popping up on my update feed over the next year or so.
Bailey Jane
Nov 25, 2008 Bailey Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, young adults, college, men, women, adults
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: Jane Sherry
Definitely not light reading, but perfect for the fall and winter. My grandmother bought this leatherbound collection for me when I was 12 or so and it took me 5 years or so to read it in its completion. I have to be in the mood to read Poe, but when I am it's the best reading in the world. Very dark and poetic. Great stories, and each story is just short enough to maintain attention span. I recommend this to anyone who appreciates a challenging read.
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm not sure how screwed up Mr. Poe really was as I have read that a lot of the criticisms of him were exaggerated. But screwed up or not the man could write. Fears and tears all are here for the reader.

I love Poe's writing. He's a voice that edges at times on madness (The Fall of the House of Usher) and sometimes IS the voice of madness (The Tell Tail Heart). Unlike the madness we find in H.P.Lovecraft Poe writes the actual man's madness. The madness of revenge for what may be a real or imagine
Andrei Tamaş
May 01, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am fost în Ungaria medievală ("Metzengerstein"), pe lună ("Hans Phaall"), în Londra ("Regele ciumă"), Paris ("Crimele din Rue Morgue"), Norvegia ("O pogorâre în Maelstrom"), Italia ("Portretul oval") şi -în fine!- într-un ospiciu ("Sistemul doctorului Catran şi al profesorului Până"). Am râs, am rămas buimăcit, am trăit alături de personaje cu respiraţia luctuoasă. Am trecut -în fine!- prin zeci şi zeci de stări!

1. METZENGERSTEIN, 8/10.
O lugubră povestioară ce înfăţişează metempsihoza pe un fund
John Wiswell
May 25, 2008 John Wiswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror readers, horror writers, poetry readers, gothic readers
Holy crap, it’s a brick of brilliance! This doorstop-sized volume contains the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe. The poetry, the essays, the short stories – you got it here.

Holy crap.

Pick this up and skim a few of his works and you’ll know whether or not you want it. If you’re studying authors, though, why wouldn’t you get this? It gives you unparalleled access to the complete artistic thoughts of one of America’s most important early writers.

In reading this I was surprised by how many good one
Arah-Lynda
The Master himself

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my ANNABEL LEE;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind bl
J.G. Keely
Not many people outside of literary study or detective fiction fandom realize that the character of Sherlock Holmes was inspired by Poe's Dupin. Dupin was the brilliant and insightful idle noble who occasionally aided the authorities in particularly difficult cases. However, unlike Holmes, Dupin took it up merely as a hobby, mimicking Holmes' brother Mycroft.

I'm not fond of Poe's poetry. Emerson's leveling of 'Jingle Man' is appropriate. Poe puts sounds together, but usually says very little wit
Elizabeth Pyjov
'' If I felt any emotion at all, it was a kind of chuckling satisfaction at the cleverness I was about to display in extricating myself from this dilemma; and I never, for a moment, looked upon my ultimate safety as a question susceptible of doubt''

"He finally made me a low bow and departed, wishing me, in the language of the archbishop in "Gil Bias," beaucoup de bonheur et un peu plus de bon sens"

My favorite quotes about Edgar Allan Poe: (there are a lot, but I found them very interesting, wri
April
Jun 09, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need I write a review in an attempt to praise this wonderful, wonderful man?
Poe is a genius. A total classic in every way - the stories still give me chills! I think my love of Poe will always lie in the beautiful way he writes poems, though. With works such as 'Israfel' and 'Annabel Lee' how could it not? Those days I spent idolising him in senior school were days well spent; a total masterpiece.
Jean
The samples here are of stories which we would now class as "horror" or "suspense", but which Poe submitted to the public mainly as essays.

The Premature Burial (1844) by Edgar Allan Poe purports to be a factual account or essay. It tells of several cases where a person suffering from catalepsy was buried alive, some of which were discovered in time, some not. There is a strong attempt on the part of the narrator to convince the reader that, "truth can be more terrifying than fiction," in order
Jun 02, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me clarify: some of the stories totally deserve four or even five stars. The Raven, The Black Cat, The Tell-Tale Heart. These are all famous for a reason. They're fantastic. But let me tell you, the stories you haven't heard of--they are, likewise, unknown for a reason. Oy, the tedium. Poe really really really liked to describe things. And sometimes that's literally all that he did. No plot, no characters, just descriptions. And because he does the macabre so well, it was a shock to the syst ...more
Jackson
While I haven't read the entire book, I have ventured through most of his works. I think Poe makes it safe to say that the usage of opium is sure to create some interesting situations.
Zachary Johnson
Feb 26, 2013 Zachary Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I became a slight reader, I had heard people talk of the Great and Horrid tales of a mad man at a typewriter. I always was told that I couldn't grasp the severity of the dark stories of this man. But, here I am. I have changed a lot since the times that I read books just to fill book reports. I feel bad about all of the times that I skimmed paragraphs of detail just to get to the dripping dialog. But here I am.

I know I sound like a drama queen in the paragraph above, but I feel like
Donald
Oct 27, 2007 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Edgar Allan Poe was probably the first writer to truly fascinate me. I remember reading "The Black Cat" and "The Tell Tale Heart" as a youngster and feeling as excited as I felt when watching a classic horror movie like "Dracula" or "King Kong." I'd never read anything like Poe, and I couldn't stop until I'd read all his stories. As an adult, I still enjoy Poe's stories, but understand that he had weaknesses as a writer (little characterization, sense of morbidity and foreboding that demands a f ...more
kat
Mar 27, 2009 kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read all the well-known stories and poems, I dug into this tome with anticipation, expecting many of his more obscure works to be fully as good. But I was vastly disappointed.

As we all know, his horror stories are real gems. There's a reason he's called a master of the genre. And I much enjoyed (re)reading them.

But the rest of this volume is filled with some of the dullest writings imaginable. Meandering, pointless, filled with useless tangents. Stories which skillfully build up suspense,
Mike (the Paladin)
This is sort of a "what more can you say" book, it's Poe. I was introduced to Poe when I was around 11 by a (young) school teacher. I suppose I never looked back and in a way it effected my taste in literature as I still like most types of fantasy reads and enjoy what is usually (somewhat loosely) called "weird" literature.

Edgar Allan Poe, a man who carved out the classic short story, the classic detective story all the while telling blood chilling stories that have been copied ever since. I hav
Peter
Jun 21, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a lovely book. Let us not go into detail about the stories and poems we all know so well lets talk about the book.

This edition from Race Point Publishing is gorgeous. It is cloth bound, not the kind of rough cloth binding you tend to get from editions such as this but a delightful silk cloth type binding or as my wife described, "a material that would make a lovely dress". There is a wonderful purple silk bookmark inserted, as for the print quality, very nice.

The ISBN for this edition is
David
Oct 16, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit to having a soft spot for Edgar Allan Poe. He was the boon companion of my adolescence. Whilst others of my generation were developing the herd mentality and lavishing their time on football, chopper bikes and the Bay City Rollers, I was poring over The Pit and the Pendulum, The Fall of the House of Usher and The Masque of the Red Death. Call me underdeveloped, call me what the hell you like, but to my mind I was developing a taste for quality literature. And Poe is, whatever you ma ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 19, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Allan Poe is a writer whose reputation rests solely upon a handful of short stories and a poem; there are very few writers in the Western canon, or anywhere really, where this is the case. There's usually a novel that they're famous for and while Poe wrote a novel "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", it isn't particularly good and doesn't hold up to the short stories.

But what stories they are! They're all filled with madmen, murder, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, magic, death, hatred, ghost
Amy
Oct 11, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bathroom-reads
I am perpetually reading this book, it used to have a big sign on it that said "for really big poops" but it got lost along the way. Although, the spirit of the book still remains and it lives in the bathroom with its other toilet brethren.

All that aside, this book is awesome, it has the good and the bad in one easy to read volume. The poems were stellar, but the stories that are unpopular are that way for a reason. They drag on seemingly endlessly, but I can't give all of them a negative review
GeekChick
Jun 23, 2008 GeekChick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Though I haven't finished the whole volume, I'm moving it off my "currently reading" shelf because I intend to intersperse it among my other books.

I am reading this in preparation for Daniel Pearl's book The Poe Shadow. I loved Dante Club, but it wouldn't have made any sense without having read Dante. So.....

Poe is a tad difficult if you're rusty on the Romantic-era English. But once you get past that his writing is masterful and engaging, and creepy!
Becky
Jul 10, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literally everyone.
Recommended to Becky by: my love of all things gothic and macabre... does that count? LOL
Just purchased this book to replace a collection lost long ago after one of various moves... It will be delivered Wednesday! I am looking forward to this book immensely...

I haven't ready any Poe in so long, I imagine reading this will feel a bit like sliding your feet into a pair of warm slippers after standing in strappy stiletto heels for 18 hours... *sigh*
Veronica Bejarano
Jul 20, 2014 Veronica Bejarano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Que puedo decir de Edgar Allan Poe que no se haya sido ya? Es increíble y fascinante, llena de matices y de sorpresas. Una obra magnífica que te estremece y te convierte en parte de un humo literario misterioso en medio de sus obras. Altamente recomendable.
sologdin
Apr 12, 2016 sologdin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sologdin by: Anne Birdsong
Shelves: literary
Alright, through a third of this, the horror/mystery shorts. Saving the Pym novella, the satires, and the poetry for another day.

The horror/mystery are unequivocally kickass, of course. My notes on the individual tales are in the status updates.

But: suffice to say that the basic principle of all the horror/mystery shorts is enunciated in “The Man of the Crowd,” a creepy little text wherein narrator stalks some dude through town (“I resolved to follow the stranger [xenos NB!] whithersoever he sho
Amanda
May 15, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I have only gotten through a handful of the poems and stories and will finish the others as soon as I get a chance. But as much as I have read, I absolutely love Poe. If you can come to grasp his crude writing style and place it into his life and the events within, you will most likely find his style of writing as wonderful and beautiful as I do. His life was very tragic in many respects, losing both of his parents and being adopted by a family where he felt his father never really, truly loved ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
An excellent compilation of all of Poe's works - short stories, novella, and poetry. His stunning prose and emphasis on creative, clear imagery has set him aside as a master to be remembered. Although the writing style is rather old-fashioned and high formal, it is mesmerizing how well he played with words to create masterpieces. His poetry remains my favorite of the pieces, he had a knack for conveying powerful imagery in little words.

His detective stories were not really my style, but his horr
Andre Odysseus
Edgar Allan Poe, in my humble opinion, is the greatest horror writer of all time.

He doesn't only care with the story (that most horror writers nowadays only care about), he is a master of structure and writing as well. It makes you cringe, not exactly by what he is saying to you, but the way he tells it. Going from poetry to prose, you will feel that you are in Poe's world. You will be waiting to be taken to the realm of the dead by the raven, you will be dancing in a ball with the masque of the
Frederick
Mar 13, 2013 Frederick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, stories, poe
I've read some of these stories. I haven't actually read them in THIS edition. I've generally read them in a multi-volume edition published in the 19th century. They certainly printed durable volumes then. The pages had twilight-blue borders. Among the stories I've read are:
"The Murders In The Rue Morgue"
"The Tell-Tale Heart"
"The Black Cat"
"The Cask of Amontillado"
"The Masque of the Red Death."
Poe is entertaining. On top of this, he was an innovator. He not only, essentially, invented the detect
Poems 6 23 Sep 07, 2015 05:29AM
Any scary or just macabre? 1 18 Aug 05, 2015 07:51PM
Edgar Allen Poe 1 23 Mar 17, 2015 09:30AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allan Poe 1 15 Feb 22, 2015 07:17PM
Favorite Story or Poem? 45 72 Dec 18, 2014 07:58PM
Read-Along Master-Thread 1 3 Oct 04, 2014 03:38PM
National Poetry Month 1 10 Apr 12, 2014 02:21PM
  • The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged)
  • The Complete Works
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • The Lady of Shalott
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Maldoror and the Complete Works
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • The Collected Poems
  • Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Seven Gothic Tales
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe [Cameo Edition] (4 books)
  • Edgar Alan Poe, cuentos selectos.
  • The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe [Volume 3 of 5]
  • The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe Volume 5

“Years of love have been forgot, In the hatred of a minute.” 1733 likes
“Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect.” 1444 likes