Start by marking “In the Town All Year 'Round” as Want to Read:
In the Town All Year 'Round

In the Town All Year 'Round

Big, colorful illustrations and minimal text set the stage for a delightful cast of characters as they go about their day-to-day adventures in one little town throughout the year. Playing, chasing pets, running errands, going to work: following what happens and looking for the many small surprises in the pictures will absorb and amuse children and parents alike.

Book Detail
Published October 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Town All Year 'Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Town All Year 'Round

Mama
Dec 29, 2013 Mama rated it it was amazing
Super fun book. Not really a story. Only an intro of each person, at the beginning of each season,and what they are going to be doing. You make your own story as you go.

The town is the base of the 4 seasons. The same places in a different season.

The same people living in the town doing different things each season.

The detail is great. Love the illustrations. My boys ages 5 and 4, and I took at least 20 minutes looking through the town, seeing what people are doing. We made it through Winter and
Erin
Jan 08, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a fusion of Richard Scarry, & Where's Waldo with a European flair. THe illustrations are lively and lovely, the pages thick for lots of turning, and there are many ways for children to keep coming back to pick and find the many things going on. THe seasonal changes and passage of time are also particularly unique and significant for a children's book.
Amy
Dec 05, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents with preschool through elementary age children
This is the neatest book! It's kind of like Richard Scarry but with people.
Michael Sedor
Dec 18, 2014 Michael Sedor rated it it was amazing
Greatest. Book. Ever.
Barbara
Jun 07, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it
want to give to my grandkids!
Garren
Oct 31, 2016 Garren rated it really liked it
One of the best busy-page books I've seen.
Janae
Sep 28, 2016 Janae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
I heard about this book on a blog that I follow and decided to check it out. My kids LOVE it. It's just busy illustrations (no words), but there are certain animals/characters that you look for on each page and a minor visual storyline. We all curl up and stare at the pages and shout out when we notice something. They always beg for one more page:)
Morgan Hawkins
Nov 13, 2014 Morgan Hawkins rated it really liked it
"In the Town All Year 'Round" was originally published in Germany by Gerstenberg Verlag in 2003. In 2008 it was translated from German to English and published by Rotraut Susanne Berner. This book for the most part is wordless except for the page before each season, this page explains a little bit about each character. In this book you follow different stories for different characters in each season or part of the book, I found the best way to do this was to pick one character or story and ...more
Dec 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Status: Read. And read. And read....Since we got this for Christmas, it has been my three-year-old's favorite book. And it doesn't even have superheroes! The town unfolds in six wordless double-page spreads chock-full of people and animals enjoying the pleasures of the season. Each season begins with a page giving you hints of what to watch for - the mysterious motorcyclist, a thieving magpie, a playdate at the park. Storylines also unfold over the year, such as the romance of Isabella (dog ...more
Tiffany
Jun 06, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
If I could give this one more stars I would. I LOOOVEEEeeeeee this book and so does my 3 year old Max. We have checked it out from the library 3 times now and renewed it each time too! You think it's about time we buy it already? It is on his birthday list. this is one of those books that will be a child's favorite for years. There are no words but this book gives a child so much to think about. It reminds me of my favorite childhood books --- Oh What a Busy Day - Gyo Fujikawa. That book is a ...more
Dianna
May 14, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Here is another of those books with endless detail, one that could keep you occupied for months. In this oversized, wordless book, several scenes from a town are shown, and repeated throughout the seasons to show how things change. You can follow people through the pages, from their homes into the town where they do their shopping, or you can watch someone over several pages take their pumpkin to the town contest. Or you can look at one scene over several pages and see how the trees bloom and ...more
Misha
Jan 06, 2009 Misha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE this book! My son loves it, too, and we gave it as gifts to several loved ones this Xmas. It's chock-full of lovely details, and you can follow various characters through a European town doing various things throughout the year. We spend hours poring over it, learning different things about the characters and their relationships. WONDERFUL. I don't have words for this one. Oh, and I should mention that it is wordless, too.
Wendy
Mar 28, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
I don't remember what made me pick up this book at the library, but this is a charming book to share with your 3-5 year old on a rainy day. The book is organized along different seasons, and at the beginning of each season, there are clues as to what different people will be doing in the succeeding pictures. The pictures are detailed and fun to look at again and again. I haven't seen a format like this one - a wee bit of "Where's Waldo" with a sense of story.
Jeff
May 09, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I don't know more than that is book is a European creation that was originally published in what I think was German in four sections titled with the name of each of the four seasons. It is an illustrated feast! Each seasonal section goes through a urban area and with tons of characters that each have their own adventures, making this a book that you can come back to again and again with a whole new experience. Delightful!
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it
In reading, talking about and describing the objects identified in Town All Year ‘Round, a wordless picture book, the caregiver builds upon the child’s vocabulary and narrative skills by giving specific names to things. Suitable for a child 12-24 months old, a shared reading of this book promotes speech and language development with reading and talking about the objects and noting what is similar or different about them.
Judy
Jan 28, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book by a German author that takes you around a town and the surrounding countryside through the seasons of the year. Children can find stories in most of the characters continued as the year progresses. Similar to Richard Scarry but I like it more. Nancy Pearl has a great review of it. I got it for my two year old granddaughter for Christmas and it's already a favorite.
Kris Springer
Feb 28, 2010 Kris Springer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ben-s-books-2010
One of the best books ever for just letting a child explore. Wordless, it tells the story through 4 seasons of different members of a community. Watch Max and Isabella fall in love; watch Suzie lose many hats over the course of a year; watch children grow older...and the illustrations are charming.
Sheri
Oct 16, 2015 Sheri rated it it was amazing
I love this big book of pictures. It's a town full of people as they go around in their daily lives. There are a minimal amount of words- just an amazing picture book. We look at the pictures and make up stories about the lives of the people illustrated. With the younger kids, I ask them to find something. It's my "go to" book when kids and I are bored. Can't say enough about it!
Lisa
May 19, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I spent at least a half hour going through this book after my kids were asleep. It's so interesting and the illustrations are so great. The kids loved following their favorite little people or animals from season to season and through the town. We all spent so much time going through it. There's so much to look at. This is such a great book!
Siskiyou-Suzy
I do like these sorts of books, that take life and condense it into these drawings, where everything is neat and deliberate and understood. It makes me feel calm. (You can tell I have a lot of weird anxieties about there simply being too much of everything in the world.) But the illustrations didn't win me over here, so I'm not that into it in general.
Carl Klassen
Feb 13, 2014 Carl Klassen rated it really liked it
My daughter loves this book. We follow and construct stories of different characters across pages each time we read. I might use it as a basis for student writing or oral story-telling in the classroom.
Jessica
Feb 03, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Nothing to read here--just a seek and find "Waldo"-style picture book for young kids. Or should I say, all ages? I admit, I work for the publisher, but this is my new favorite book from our fall 2008 list. I can't stop poring over it.
Katie Lee
Apr 02, 2013 Katie Lee rated it really liked it
This is such a good book for young children who are beginning to experience books. The book itself is oversized and mainly full of pictures. The pictures portray a town over the course of different seasons
Emily
Jun 27, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young and old
Recommended to Emily by: Joseph Beth Kids staff
Highly recommended. Little eyes do not have to know how to read in order to "read" this book. It resembles Where's Waldo, but it has a plot! It will stand up to multiple readings for both children and adult companions.
Nancy J
Apr 28, 2016 Nancy J rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of the Richard Scarry books, this title is basically wordless except for the one page before each season that gives one sentence about the action of each character in the pages to follow. A great tool to encourage conversation and increase vocabulary.
Claire
Oct 30, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
Slightly old fashioned. Wordless picture of lots of activity in Town. Sure to provide hours of amusement an opportunities for made up stories inspired by the pictures.
Could be a writing prompt in elementary grades.
Pam
Jan 14, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a picture book for toddlers and preschoolers, I love this one. It has a great set of characters that go through a year in the same town doing all sorts of things. Think Richard Scary with a European twist! A fantastic book.
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
See review for The Bear's Sea Escape.
Another incredibly detailed French kids book that depicts a ton of humans, seemingly all of the caucasian persuasion. Very engaging, but that aspect is a bummer.
Dina
Jan 05, 2010 Dina rated it really liked it
A town and its community are presented in detailed seasonal pictures with a page at each season's beginning describing some of the action to come. It makes for a fun picture hunt and there's enough detail to find little stories of your own. A book that would be pored over again and again.
Dawn
Aug 07, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
Such wonderfully detailed scenes that tell stories all on their own. And the pages of whom to follow and what to look for are such fun (more fun than finding Waldo because what you're finding tells a story)! I love books that tell stories without words!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Who Made This Cake?
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • Pickle-Chiffon Pie
  • Spring is Here
Rotraut Susanne Berner (born 1948) is a German graphic designer and illustrator.
She illustrated The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger.

She is well known for a series of popular children's book, called “Wimmel” books, which have attained a worldwide circulation of close to 500,000 copies in fifteen countries.

Working as a freelance illustrator, she has focused on books for children and young
More about Rotraut Susanne Berner...