Tree Girl

Tree Girl

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A nine-year-old girl searching for her roots must face a forest filled with tree ghouls-and her own deepest fears.
Published September 24th 2002 by Ace (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tree Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tree Girl

Katie Hill
Although this is not a typical sci-fi/fantasy story, the story is absolutely relevant to the middle grade student. Every person must answer questions of heritage, belonging, and existence, and middle school is the time to start hearing those questions. Many students may be able to relate more explicitly to Anna's not knowing her mother, but others will be able to know the feeling of not getting along with parents/guardians, or just wanting to know some answers to the question "Where am I from?"...more
Sierra
It has been 9 years since the fisherman Mellwyn found the infant Rowanna in the forests surrounding his simple cabin. Anna spends her days alone, climbing trees and dreaming of making friends. Her only companion is an injured sparrow she rescued, whom she dubs “Eagle”.

When Mellwyn tells Anna that he found her under the High Willow, she becomes increasingly more interested in the tree towering above the forest canopy in the distance. She climbs a nearby tree daily to view the willow. But Anna kn...more
Melissa Jackson
This a a simple story about a girl named Rowanna who is searching for what is missing in her life. From the very beginning, she explains a how she wishes she had a mother and wants to go back to the willow tree where her master found her. According to the master, it is bad luck to look towards the forest and they must both stay near their cottage on the beach in order to stay safe from the nasty ghouls. Rowanna soon finds out that the "ghouls" are simply tree spirits who appear as you wish to se...more
Leketha Outley
Tree Girl is a haunting story about a girl Rowanna who is growing up on a beach with an old fisherman she calls "Master". She is drawn to the Willow tree in the woods where her Master said he found her. She constantly question him about her mother because she really wants to have someone to identify with. She was always warned not to go beyond where they lived because the ghouls who lived in the wood would have no problem eating her. This fictional story does a good job providing a visual in the...more
Brian James
I absolutely love the concept behind Tree Girl. Part original fairy tale, part invented myth, the story borrows from various folklores to create its own world within which to exist. The setup is extremely compelling. Nine year old Anna lives in an isolated cottage by the sea with a grouchy man who supposedly rescued her from forest ghouls when she was a baby. The two live in perpetual fear of the forest that surrounds them. Day after day, the man leaves her to go fishing and Anna finds life extr...more
Jin Huh
To point out the purpose of a middle grade book, a reader must read, digest, and ask oneself, "What is the lesson portrayed in this book?" In Treegirl, the reading part was easy. The digesting, on the other hand, was challenging.

In T.A. Barron's "Treegirl," a tree ghoul morphs into the object that the onlooker perceives to see. So, the master who expected to see demonic monsters consistently saw them, whereas Treegirl, looking on to something and someone more pleasant got to befriend the ghouls...more
Kaia
I think it was a good book, I liked how there life style was very different from us. The food the eat was the food they caught or picked. They made their own clothes. I also liked how she liked to climb the trees, and how she was very curious, and adventurous. She is also smart. Its not a too long book or a too short book. I liked how she always wanted to see her past and ho she always wants to see and find her mom.
Timothy Schneider
Four stars: as much as anything because this is a sentimental family favorite dating back to summer times when our kids were younger. It is delightful in its own way; a little tale nestled between a temperate forest and the sea, one of my most favorite places to be.
Trina
This story is about a girl who lives in a hut on the beach with her father (whom she calls master) and their relationship as he forbids her to ever go into the woods. Later, he says the reason for the forbidden order is due to the fact that he was attacked in the woods when he found her as an abandoned baby, but the truth is that she is part of the forest and the trees, and the forest is her family who was just trying to keep her from being taken (or kidnapped) by the man. As an adult reading th...more
Kelly José
There is something about this book that I absolutely love. The book itself is one of the shortest books that I can say I enjoy to read to this very day.

I just love the feeling and vibe of the whole book. It's full of warm emotions, and sometimes that's the best part about a book. When such a simple book can make me smile and cry, I know that the author did something magical. I can easily say that anyone can enjoy this book if they're looking for a quick, easy read. And when I say quick, I mean q...more
Amanda Corley
This book is about a nine year old girl trying to figure out who she is and where she belongs. In order to do this, she has to get to the big willow tree in the forest, but the Master tells her the forest is filled with tree-ghouls and she is not allowed in the forest, for fear the tree-ghouls will hurt her. This is a very fast read and an exceptional book. I think most middle grade students would be able to read this book and understand the conflicts the main character Anna has. This is a magic...more
PWRL
Apr 14, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A
Cristal Inoh
This book would absolutely adorable for children in 4th or 5th grade. Although, it was recommended for sixth grade. This book would be nice to have on your shelf and used for kids to read during down time. I do not believe I could have a whole lesson plan set on this for the children. It seems to be a pleasure read and it is targeted towards girls. Young girls could relate to Anna, she is young, but carefree and wild. The structure of the book written is very simple sci fi/ fantasy.
Diana Hanke
Tree Girl tells the story of Anna, a young orphaned girl living with Master Mellwyn, an older gentleman whose main charge is to protect his young charge from the dangers of the tree spirits and ghouls. The book describes Anna's struggle to understand where her mother and father are, and to explain the tie she feels with the trees within the forest. The book was not one of my favorites, but I did like the character descriptions and forest descriptions.
Dondero
This book reminded me of a movie I saw recently called Hannah. A young girl and a man live out in the wilderness all by themselves. They hunt for all their food, they built the cabin in which they live, they are isolated from society. That's where the resemblance ends, though. This book takes us into the forest where tree ghouls live and where our heroine, Rowanna, finally finds out where she comes from.
Ethenielle
Mar 13, 2007 Ethenielle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Readers
Another interesting novel by T.A. Barron (wrote lost years of merlin series) but rather vague in storyline. It wasn't until twenty pages near the end did I realize exactly what was going on besides minor events. However, I did enjoy the concepts of tree spirits known as tree ghouls and an ability I've never really thought of. Not bad overall, but not something I'd read over and over again either.
Vicki
Just reread this one, it's on my grade 3 list this year. Nice little fantasy about a young girl raised by an old curmugion in an isolated cottage by the se. She feels the pull to go into the the forest to visit a tree called the high willow, to discover who she is and where she came from, but is forbidden and terrified by the stories of wicked ghouls that live there.
Pashi
As it says in a review on the back, "Tree Girl is sprightly". Full of ancient magic that is brought to the reader in a new light, as fresh and poignant as the scent of autumn pines. Loved the mystery and faerie folky-ness of it, kept me happily stuck in that world and atmosphere while I was reading it. Enjoyed it just as much as I did when I was younger <3
Ashleigh
Another comfort book of mine. I think I first read this when I was ten, or close to the age of the book's protagonist. Since I've striven to have her courage, adventurous spirit and determination- that attitude has carried me well enough so far.
I can't wait till my niece is old enough to enjoy this one for herself.
Isabella
Mar 16, 2008 Isabella rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: maggie lulu
This is the best book i've ever read. I don't really know why. It's just one of those books that I could read over and over and over again and still enjoy it immensely. If you like books about young girls who live on the beach and are desperate to know her mother, this is the book for you!!!!!
Alice
Beautifully written tale that beckons you along into the magic of Rownanna's forbidden forest to discover the truth about her origins - and her mother. My only criticism is that once that truth is revealed the book ends too abruptly and that magic spell is somewhat broken.
Lindsey
While is liked Rowanna's character - carefree and curious, I found the story to be a little slow.

If you read this one, "again and again" definitely shows up... I also think we may have some interesting "wisers." Let me know what you think!

Tia
This is a really good story, reminds me of "Ronia, Robber's Daughter", a little bit of Nim's Island, and a little bit of Narnia. A fun fantasy with a bit of adventure and mystery. I think this would be good reading for 5th grade girls.
Josie
A sweet, simple book that weaves nature, magic and adventure into a pleasant story for middle readers. I'd suggest it for a 4th-6th grade reader.

We have it in the junior fiction section in the SCCS library.
Lorena
This was really cute, full of magic, while reading I just kept getting reminded of how far we have gone from truly respecting nature and accepting our place in this planet as just another component.
Meg
This was my first book club book in fifth grade. I lover this book because some of the stuff I did not see a lot of things coming. But it was a very good book and i would recomend this to any one!
Meredith
When reading this book, the details were so vivid I could clearly picture the scenes in my mind as though the story were made into a film. This is an enjoyable children's/young adult fantasy novel.
Kerry
Short and sweet; I was a little put off by the abrupt ending. I mean, it wrapped up nicely, but just a little too fast for my liking. Still, it had it's charms.
Jenna
I have to say, this one one of the weirdest books I've ever read. I liked it, especially in 5th grade, but the style of writing was just so weird!
Dawn
A beautiful novel, written for children, but a blessing to adult readers. I devoured this in about an hour and a half. Sweet, sweet fantasy!
  • The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • The Word Eater
  • Hide and Seek (Capture the Flag, #2)
  • Mousenet
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • Homesick
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • The Tofu Quilt
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • Mindscape (The Ability, #2)
  • Saint Louis Armstrong Beach
  • The Giant-Slayer
  • Defiance
  • Drift House: The First Voyage
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
  • Listening for Lions
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o...more
More about T.A. Barron...
The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1) The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2) The Mirror of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4) The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3) The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5)