Start by marking “The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)

The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon #3)

History and fiction collide with deadly consequences in the third Kate McKinnon novel—a story of bitter revenge, where the past invades the present and a decades-old secret proves fatal

Kate McKinnon has lived many lives, from Queens cop to Manhattan socialite, television art historian, and the woman who helped the NYPD capture the Death Artist and the Color Blind killer. B
Published October 31st 2006 by HarperTorch (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing Art

Πάνος Τουρλής
Το τρίτο βιβλίο της σειράς με πρωταγωνίστρια την πρώην αστυνομικό Κέιτ Μακίνον, μετά τον Καλλιτέχνη του Θανάτου και τα Χρώματα στο σκοτάδι, είναι το καλύτερο μέχρι στιγμής. Αυτήν τη φορά η Μακίνον έχει να αντιμετωπίσει έναν παράφρονα που καταστρέφει τους πίνακες των καλλιτεχνών που είναι γνωστοί ως «Σχολή της Νέας Υόρκης», μόνο που από ένα σημείο και μετά αποφασίζει να σκοτώσει και όσους συναντά στον ίδιο χώρο και τον εμποδίζουν! Ποιος είναι τελικά ο Χαρακωτής (όσο κι αν έψαξα δε βρήκα τον πρωτό ...more
Jyotsna
Nov 15, 2016 Jyotsna rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

For a person who knows nothing about art (except Monalisa) this book comes as an eye opener describing the world of art. How art schools seem to just happen, how an art circle works, what is a actually and artist's style, etcetera.
I learnt a lot regarding the World of Art through this book.

Pros:

1. The plot is intriguing

2. I really don't know much about the art school in New York, but this book has made me curious about the same.

Cons

1. Narration = Cliché

2. Predictable

Conc
Sofia  Oliveira
Este livro começou por ser uma desilusão. Andou de mala em mala durante três meses até que desisti de forçar a leitura e o coloquei de lado. Sou apologista de que nem sempre é altura para ler um livro e, apesar de me apetecer ler um policial, Jonathan Santlofer não estava a conseguir cativar a minha atenção. Isso aliado às sucessivas interrupções na leitura levaram a que me perdesse na história e lesse algumas outras pelo caminho.

Com a chegada de mais uma maratona literária e depois de ter termi
Linda  Branham Greenwell
May 27, 2012 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it it was amazing
Santlofer does it again, with this chilling third installment to his Death Artist series.

Kate is recovering from the death of her husband Richard, re-shaping her life from the life of luxury they shared. She is working on a TV show and a book on the New York School of artists Pollack, de Kooning, Kline and Gorky. Their paintings are being slashed--in a museum, a law office, and in homes.

One of her fiends has a Franz Kline that is slashed in his home, and is killed when he surprises the vandal.
Mónica Silva
Jan 24, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Este é um policial diferente, original, uma lufada de ar fresco. O autor combina o crime com a arte, a resolução de um mistério com a análise de grandes artistas. Santlofer dá grande destaque aos artistas da Escola de Nova Iorque, como Jackson Pollock, Franz Kline, Gorky, Philip Zander. Mesmo para quem não entende muito do mundo da arte, este livro é muito interessante e educativo.

O mistério que Kate tem que desvendar é intrincado e empolga
Steve
Mar 15, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing
The Killing Art is one of those books that you just can't put down. It's a great murder mystery with plenty of action, twists, and turns that keep you guessing until the very end.

The story follows Kate McKinnon, a former police officer who now hosts an art history show on PBS. When a painting that she donated to a museum is destroyed by an unknown attacker, she gets involved in the case. As the trend continues, several more paintings are destroyed, and the attacks turn deadly as the attacker beg
Leonardo Navarro
Un libro para amantes del arte en New York. Es bueno leer autores no tan conocidos, y de temáticas que casi no se ven. No es un libro de acción, y ni sé dónde quedó el misterio, la intriga y los sentimientos hacia los personajes. Son personajes muy complicados en una trama más complicada aún. No imagino qué hubiese sido de éste libro sin los dibujos que se encuentran a lo largo de la lectura. Salvado únicamente por su forma de escribir: normal y medianamente ligera, se deja leer. A lo mejor no e ...more
Writerlibrarian
Jun 25, 2007 Writerlibrarian rated it really liked it
This was my post New York book. Kate McKinnon gets tangled in the investigation of a serial slasher of modern art. Not any modern art. New York school artists artworks are targeted. De Kooning, Pollock, etc. Set in the New York art scene, this whodunit is fun and full of wonderful clues and you discover the history of the New York school artists at the same time. Made me go and order a book on the period. Then again, I enjoy modern art. I sat in front of this de Kooning at the Guggenheim and jus ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I picked this up as a galley at ALA back in 2005. I guess the author is more known as an artist. This is a mystery set in the art world, where art from the “New York School” of painters is being destroyed and also the people who own the art. The characters were interesting and I loved the unique art throughout the book. I might try reading his other two mysteries, that also feature the character of Kate.
Noelia
Jan 30, 2015 Noelia rated it really liked it
Al principio el libro puede llegar a ser un poco tedioso, pero asomándose a la mitad comienza la acción y ahí es cuando nos adentramos a la historia. Es el primer libro que leo del genero policial y me gusto mucho. El autor supo manejar el misterio y nuestro "rajador" de sobremanera haciendo que en cada capitulo al lector se le creen mas preguntas! sin duda hay que darle una oportunidad. De fácil lectura y muy informativo sobre el mundo de Arte.
mim
Mar 07, 2011 mim rated it liked it
This was one of my quick read, vacation type books. I liked the art world connections, and had recently seen the photograph of the 1950s artists mentioned in the book. I'll start another, maybe the first one he wrote, since I read this out of order. Not that it seemed to matter.
Huntress Ayin
Jul 14, 2014 Huntress Ayin rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Huntress by: Rioniña Ocampo
If you're a fan of thrillers and suspense novels, you shouldn't miss that book. The Killing Art is full of twist and turns that will eventually tickle your mind. If you wanted to be a secret agent, Kate's deciphering skills might help you out. MUST READ!
Salvador Daniel
Este libro me gustó mucho en cuanto a la trama pero para ser sinceros esperaba otro final.
Babete
Feb 08, 2011 Babete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Policial com pistas em obras de arte, original e interessante!
Mallory
The artworks are the clues in the mystery and reproductions are provided for the reader!
Julie
Jun 17, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Loved the book kept me guessing right up to the end.
Mila Popova
Mila Popova rated it liked it
May 13, 2011
Maria Da Silva Ferreira
Maria Da Silva Ferreira rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Liliana Marmelo
Liliana Marmelo rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2012
Kassandra
Kassandra rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2017
Vasilis Antonioy
Vasilis Antonioy rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2016
Suzy Shearer
Suzy Shearer rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Mustafa Acungil
Mustafa Acungil rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2012
MV
MV rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2009
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Three Rooms Press rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Skin Deep
  • Last Breath (Sherry Moore, #2)
  • Last Shot (Tim Rackley, #4)
  • Manitou Blood (Manitou, #4)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Known to Evil (Leonid McGill, #2)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Trust Me
  • Until Dark (FBI #3; John Mancini #2)
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Messiah
  • Speak Italian: The Fine Art of the Gesture
  • The Third Wife
  • Jolie Blon's Bounce (Dave Robicheaux, #12)
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • Survey of Historic Costume
  • Portrait of a Lady (Leonardo da Vinci Mystery, #2)
190058
Jonathan Santlofer is the author of five novels and a highly respected artist whose work has been written about and reviewed in the New York Times, Art in America, Artforum, and Arts, and appears in many public, private, and corporate collections. He serves on the board of Yaddo, one of the oldest artist communities in the country. Santlofer lives and works in New York City.
More about Jonathan Santlofer...

Kate McKinnon (3 books)
  • The Death Artist (Kate McKinnon, #1)
  • Color Blind (Kate McKinnon, #2)