Start by marking “К западу от октября (Игра в классику)” as Want to Read:
К западу от октября (Игра в классику)

К западу от октября (Игра в классику)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,361 ratings  ·  53 reviews
В спальне захолустного мотеля на почетном месте стоит надгробный камень.
Древний ирландский призрак преследует знаменитого кинорежиссера всей силой своей нерастраченной любви.
Герою-авиатору Первой мировой войны мнится, что ему выставлен счет за былые победы.
От современного классика американской литературы - двадцать три истории о любви и смерти.

Содержание

Конвектор Тойнби
Лаз
Published 2005 by EKSMO Publishers, Domino (first published June 23rd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about К западу от октября, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about К западу от октября

Simona Bartolotta
Mettiamola così, ragazzo: la vita è uno spettacolo di magia, o lo sarebbe se la gente non dormisse in piedi.

Una delle cose più difficili è dare un voto ad una raccolta di racconti. Perché è ovvio che ci saranno quelli che amerai e quelli che invece proprio no, non fanno per te. Naturalmente ci sono le eccezioni, non è così raro trovare libri di racconti tutti magnifici o tutti orrendi, ma per me in questo caso è stato un po' difficile decidere per quelle tre stelline.
Tre stelline combattute, sì.
Michael M.
The Toynbee Convector: No one understands the title of this book before reading it. But hey, that's okay, because after reading the first story you'll understand completely. The first story, like countless others in the fine collection, are great. However, this was the strangest book I read by Bradbury so far. Most of the stories here take place in ordinary places, but in some cases, not so much. What bothers me is that nearly all the stories involve some love affair or other adult matter. It do ...more
Karolína
Nic moc, většina povídek mě moc nebavila, protože jsem se často ztrácela v Bradburyho fantazii a přirovnáních.
Bavilo mě "přijďte a vezměte s sebou Constance" kupodivu, protože zatím cokoli s touto postavou bylo utrpení. A taky "Nefalšovaná podomácku vyrobená opravdová egyptská mumie plukovníka Stonesteela" i když nějaký génius přeložil Green Town jako Zelené město, ale dobře.
"Ta věc nahoře na schodech" zase dětství vs. dospělost, a parádní napětí a trochu Lovecraft konec.
Vlastně když o tom teď t
Richard Knight
The Toynbee Convector is highly misleading in both title and cover. Ray Bradbury, who has written both exceptional novels (Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes) and short story collections (The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man) swung and missed with this book of bite-sized tales, and mainly because it feels so disjointed and aimless.

The stories in this collection are all over the place, and only one of them ("The Toynbee Convector") could even come close to being considered sc
Cheryl
I like his earlier work better, when he wasn't so (apparently) self-conscious. This seemed like he was trying too hard, or something - more forced than natural & sincere. I wish I could remember it better so I could explain what I mean better.
Mark Oppenlander
This was an entertaining book for me to read, as it contained only one or two stories that I had previously read. A whole new volume of Bradbury stories to explore! I was able to enjoy this with a freshness that is inherently missing from re-reading many of Bradbury's other books, most of which I first touched when I was young.

Having said that, many of the stories in this book still felt familiar. These stories were mostly written in the 1980's and Bradbury was well into his career at this point
Nancy
I gave this book 3 stars not because the stories aren't excellent, but because many of them are not really SF (what I love); just stories set in a dreamy American mid-west, some with a twist at the end, others more nostalgic. The theme of this book is Time, travel forward and backward, mostly in the mind. Again, a great book, but if you're looking for The Martian Chronicles or Fahrenheit 451, this is not it.
John
Yet another excellent collection of Bradbury's short fiction which reveals his strengths unabated well into his fourth decade as a professional writer. A number of these stories were apparently unique to this collection at the time. They run the gamut from the supernatural ("On the Orient North") to the mundane ("The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair"), from the earnest ("One Night in Your Life") to the comical ("The Thing at the Top of the Stairs"), even managing to encompass love and hatred in a si ...more
Jim Krotzman
I like to study Bradbury's first sentence and last sentence in his short stories. It is interesting how he takes an idea and gives it a twist that you don't expect. These stories haven't been published before, and I don't think they are as good as some of his others. I did enjoy the last one in the book, "Colonel Stonesteel's Truly Egyptian Mummy."
Ron
Another collection of Bradbury short stories - some of them were very good, others not so much. All in all, I'd say this was a notch below some of his other collections. However, you'll find some of the same stories showing up in the various collections which can make reading the collections go faster.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Τελικά το παζάρι βιβλίου σου δίνει την ευκαιρία να ψαρέψεις τόσο πολύτιμα μικρά πετράδια που καταντά συγκινητικό. Ο Ταξιδιώτης του Χρόνου κι η τρυφερή του ιστορία, η απόλυτη αγάπη για την ανθρώπινη φυλή. Απλά, αν το πετύχετε διαβάστε το. Ό,τι άλλο κι αν πω θα είναι σπόιλερ.
The Frahorus
Questo raccolta di racconti di fantascienza di Ray Bradbury ne contiene 22. Eccoli:
1) Il Convettore di Toynbee;
13) Una per sua signoria, e una per la strada!;
14) A mezzanotte, nel mese di giugno;
15) Mi benedica, padre, perché h
Veronica Schneider
Nice to read a book full of short stories. Most of the stories I enjoyed and they left me mystified but towards the end of the book the stories seemed to get more gruesome and more sexual.
Matteo Pellegrini

Il volume raccoglie ventitre racconti dell'autore di "Fahrenheit 451". Ray Bradbury ha firmato queste storie inquietanti che spaziano dai più classici temi di marziani e astronavi fino a mostrare una vena che sfiora l'horror.

John Stump
The first short story collection I've read and completed every story. Bradbury's creativity and imagination is unmatched.
Todd Wheeler
The best collection of short stories by Bradbury that I have read this summer. Having binged on the author the past few months, I recognized many of the themes in these stories, particularly the wonder of childhood when everything is magical and possible.

I also saw many memories reborn in these stories, of his time in Illinois, of circuses and storms, simple fears ballooning into nightmares. It is amazing how Bradbury mined these memories, these treasures, over and over again during his career,
Jennifer Ranger
Ray Bradbury is one of the greatest science-fiction writers of all time. That goes without saying. This collection is a nice mix of science-fiction, horror, and realistic fiction. If you need a quick read, try one of the stories in this collection.
Camilla
Apr 26, 2011 Camilla rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Camilla by: Marco
E' da circa un mese che sto leggendo questo libretto.. Un tempo assurdo per una raccolta di storie, più o meno brevi e non vedo l'ora di finirlo.
Si, lo ammetto certe storie sono carine, specialmente le prime, ma certe altre finiscono così bruscamente che rimango lì pensando "embè, e ora?"

Non lo abbandono perchè non c'è niente di difficile o pesante in questo libro, solo non mi attira nè mi trasmette niente. Non vedo l'ora di finirlo per restituirlo al legittimo proprietario. Meno male che non l'
Barry
Mr. Bradbury does not fail to disappoint with this collection of short stories. There is a variety of settings to capture the attention of a wider audience, and many of the stories leave one with a shiver after a suspenseful conclusion that never fully resolves. Irony and intrigue make for a winsome combination, and there is much of both sprinkled throughout. This volume is a winner from almost angle, and well-worth a read.
Sheila
As others have said before me, perhaps not the greatest collection of Bradbury stories ever. Some I've read before, in other collections, I think; or maybe it just FEELS like I've read them before.

Nonetheless, Bradbury's exuberance in writing is the hook that keeps me reading him, even on the more well-worn paths of his ideas. He just kind of drags you along with him.

Ananda
I had high hopes for this. I'm usually a big fan of short stories but this left me scratching my head. Most of these stories are just plain pointless, as soon as you really think something's going to happen it ends. A few of them were very enjoyable, for example, The Toynbee Convector, Banshee, and Colonel Stonesteel's Genuine Home-made Truly Egyptian Mummy.
Kathleen
jubilant and surreal-- i love the drawing-text duet, the simple & unsurprising but still very Bradburry story
re-read it this weekend

(Seems from the comments that this title refers to both an illustrated single-short-story book, a collection of stories, and a tv show.. the version I read was the tall and slim single-story illustrated book..)
Jonah
Whatever one might think of Bradbury, there is certainly nothing prosaic about his stories. I do find he gets a bit too flowery for my tastes at times, but in the end he always wins me back.

I bumped this collection, which I found hit-or-miss, from three stars to four due to the inclusion of "The Thing at the Top of the Stairs". Short, but oh, so sweet.
Andrew
Honestly, this could be Ray Bradbury's best collection of short stories. It's that good. He's very light on the sci-fi in this collection and writes more about themes like love, separation, divorce, marriage, honesty, and other related ideas. Do not miss this book if you like Bradbury.
Melissa Dally
I found this to be a quite enjoyable little collection of tales. Plus who can go wrong with the writings of a cat lover? LOL. Some of them were a little dull, but most were quite pleasant. Nothing that was "OMG!!" for me, but that's OK.
Elizabeth
This has a terrifically unsettling short story in it of an old man getting the last hard-on he'll ever have in his life and phoning his old lovers to come round and have a look. Makes me view Bradbury in a new and awkward light :P
Jake
Uses the word Jump! a little too much.
Wendy Brower
Ray Bradbury is one of the most amazing writers of our time. The Toynbee Convector reminds people that one can thrive on ideas and ideas alone as long as one is encouraged to go above and beyond in the future.
Brian
I read this so long ago that I don't remember most of the stories in the collection but Toynbee remains my favorite of Bradbury's short stories. Unfortunately I can't begin to explain myself without spoiling it.
Neven
Just-average Bradbury; too many obvious and derivative stories. But, this is only in comparison to his masterful works like The October Country. If this is the first Bradbury you read, you ought to like it just fine.
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
  • Crystal Express
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Nine Tomorrows
  • Star Songs of an Old Primate
  • Strange Wine
  • The Wind From the Sun (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
  • The Perseids and Other Stories
  • TekWar (TekWar, #1)
  • VALIS and Later Novels
  • The Second Trip
  • The Broken Land
  • Unification (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)

“No," said a voice, "the only thing wrong on a night like that is that there is a world and you must come back to it.” 9 likes
“And just holding her hand would be good. Can you understand that? Do you know that holding someone's hand can be `the' thing? Such a thing that your hands move while not moving. You can remember a thing like that, rather than any other thing about a night, all your life. Just holding hands can mean more, I believe it. When everything is repeated, and over, and familiar, it's the first things rather than the last that count.” 2 likes