Start by marking “Selected Poems of Robert Browning (Hardcover)” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems of Robert Browning (Hardcover)

Selected Poems of Robert Browning (Hardcover)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,113 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
with intro by Pierre Loving
Published 1942 by Walter J. Black ,Inc (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems of Robert Browning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems of Robert Browning

Linden
Mar 21, 2013 Linden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It was an introduction to Robert Browning through Stopford A. Brooke's book ‘The Poetry of Robert Browning’, written in 1903 (available as a free kindle!) that inspired me to read and enjoy very much this Penguin Collection. Here is how Stopford describes what makes Browning a great poet:

“Browning’s noblest legacy to that wavering, faithless, pessimistic, analysis tortured world through which we have fought our way, and out of which we are emerging, is the sense of things which cannot be shaken,
J. Alfred
Apr 04, 2010 J. Alfred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know that obnoxious comedian/impressionist who somehow landed a gig on football related television, Frank Calliendo? Well, reading Browning is like watching an infinitely more talented version of that guy.
He pretty much takes on new personas as he writes; it is astonishing. You can tell why Pound and Eliot loved the guy.
Anyway, he is also great at sort of redelivering the gospel message, so you can see again how intensely surprising it is: the best poems in the collection (and this never h
Rosalind
Sep 04, 2007 Rosalind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
For me, Browning is just the best. He can be as light as a souffle (but with a sharp kick), and achingly profound. He can build characters and he can be terrifying - not many psychological thrillers can be so chilling so succinctly as Porphyria's Lover, and he can capture the sweetness of first love. He's also shamefully neglected.
Faith Bradham
Feb 04, 2008 Faith Bradham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is not the book I read, but I could not find what I read ... and this is as close as I could find.
I must admit that I didn't like it very well ... I found Browning's rythym off enough to distract me but not off enough to sound good. :S I'll give him credit for his lyrical words, but that's about it.
Jessica
Nov 28, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Browning, why are you such a genius? "Andrea del Sarto", "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came", and "Meeting at Night" are among my favorites in the anthology.
Leroy Wilson
Feb 15, 2014 Leroy Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is a genius
Leia Penina
o robert browning u tease.
Judi
Oct 27, 2013 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice selection, now I would like to read his complete works but some of the long poems might be hard. I got hung up on Ivan Ivanovich since I like to read a whole poem in one sitting and this is a long one. He wrote some beautiful poems that are a pleasure to read and I enjoyed the notes especially where it concerned his love for his wife, Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Rosalind Mitchell
Jan 30, 2013 Rosalind Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scarlettfish
Dec 09, 2007 Scarlettfish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Browning is probably my favourite poet. His poems are dramatic, intense, and so readable and intriguing, with absolutely wonderful, memorable characters and plots. Highlights are definitely My Last Duchess and Porphyria's Lover. Nobody has ever done the dramatic monologue like Browning.
Rebecca
Fairly long poems, it gets a low score from me because his poem the Laboratory is not included (hey, it's good! about a woman poisoning her former lover and his new mistress). However there are some good ones such as 'My Last Duchess'. I'm very picky with poetry.
Tom
Jan 28, 2008 Tom marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Not exactly the same as my copy, which is an out-of-print 1949 edition published by Appleton-Crofts that I bought for like 20 cents, but the closest I could find.
Mikael
Jan 21, 2008 Mikael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
must be nice not to hv to ask yrself can there be but one sordello ? since u were the one who wrote the bloody thing !
Liz
Nov 12, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Browning is a great study of character and his poems are very good at illustrating characters.
Valerie
Jul 21, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
My favorite at the unreliable narrator, and a great poet also.
Rob
Cws
May 15, 2008 Cws added it
821.83
Koren Trew
Koren Trew rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Wilma
Wilma marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sagnik Ritam Ghosh
Sagnik Ritam Ghosh marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rachel Ling
Rachel Ling rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Pau Rosay
Pau Rosay marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Ness Thompsett
Ness Thompsett rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Eliot Wexler
Eliot Wexler rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Malky
Malky rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Benjamin Dull
Benjamin Dull rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Aurora Leigh and Other Poems
  • Complete Poems
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
  • Selected Poetry
  • Complete Poems and Translations
  • The Shorter Poems
  • The Complete Poems (Poetry Library)
  • Rudyard Kipling: Selected Poems
  • Byron's Poetry
Robert Browning was a British poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets.

Browning began writing poetry at age 13. These poems were eventually collected, but were later destroyed by Browning himself. In 1833, Browning's "Pauline" was published and received a cool reception. Harold Bloom believes that John Stuart
More about Robert Browning...

“we’re made so that we love First when we see them painted, things we have passed Perhaps a hundred times nor cared to see; And so they are better, painted – better to us, Which is the same thing. Art was given for that; God uses us to help each other so, Lending our minds out.” 3 likes