Start by marking “A Week in Winter” as Want to Read:
A Week in Winter

A Week in Winter

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,108 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Every once in a while a very special story comes along that deserves an enormous cozy chair with a view of rolling hills, a fire snapping quietly in the hearth, a cup of real cocoa in a favorite mug, and a plate of homemade cookies. A Week in Winter is such a tale.

Published February 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Week in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Week in Winter

Penmarric by Susan HowatchRoss Poldark by Winston GrahamDaphne du Maurier Collection by Daphne du MaurierThe Shell Seekers by Rosamunde PilcherThe Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley
Best Books Set in Cornwall
64th out of 101 books — 42 voters
Sense and Sensibility by Jane AustenI Capture the Castle by Dodie SmithHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesThe Castle of Otranto by Horace WalpoleThe Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
Castle or Cottage
56th out of 146 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Trisha
If you are a fan of Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher, you will enjoy this story.
This author has a down to earth style, which engages you through the entire book.
Relationships are opened up in a family - Maude decides to sell Moorgate after being widowed for a year. Hector, her husband, had children from his first marriage and one of the girls, Selina, wants to buy Moorgate (which is situated on the edge of the moor in Cornwall).
But Rob, the contractor who has been renovating the property, has
Adrienne
I'd never heard of this book or its author, but I found it on clearance at B&N and was intrigued enough to pick it up. All in all, it was okay. I'm not sure whether I'll read it again.

PROS: The imagery (the novel is set in the English countryside) was GORGEOUS. The author really makes you feel as if you were there. The characters were relatable and likable, and the conclusion was tidy and generally happy. The story is told from several perspectives, which I enjoyed.

CONS: Adultery plays a maj
Hannah
Apr 06, 2012 Hannah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hannah by: Susan
Reminded me alot of the books by Alexandra Raife, in both the descriptive setting each author uses as well as the relationship struggles between the characters.

Where Willet didn't fully satisfy me was in writing too much "filler". It prevented the story from being as tight as I would have preferred. Cutting out an unnecessary storyline (view spoiler) and taking out 50-75 pages would have, IMO, allowed the central story to sing.

I did enjoy
Smarika
I know, I know the cover makes you want to puke. But it was an unexpectedly good read. Cozy is the right word. As the name hints, it's the perfect book to read deep in winter wrapped in a warm quilt against the fireplace as snow falls outside. The characters are not lacking, the scenery lovely and Maudie is the comforting soul you can talk to languidly in these moments. And she wears tartan skirts. What more could one want?

I've come back to this book quite a few times.

And I've just realised Maud
Bonny
Sometimes you really need a book to take you away from reality and your present situation. Thank you, Marcia Willett, for doing that, even if it was only temporary.
Dianne
I discovered this author just by chance, looking for authors like Rosamund Pilcher. Well I have to tell you I love this author and all her books that I have read by her so far. I like mysteries but sometimes need a little break from them. With her books I can relax and read her stories and know that I will be in for a cozy experience. Wonderful story as are all the ones by her that I have read so far. I have read Summer in the Country and The way we Were also. If you are a fan of Rosamund Pilche ...more
Estibaliz79
Amor a primera vista+enfermedad mortal= si me lo dices antes claramente, ese tiempo que me hubiera ahorrado.
Dejando a un lado que no son lo mío las novelas románticas per se, y que ésta promete intimismo pero da más tono rosa que otra cosa, lo cierto es que para mi gusto esta novela exagera con los flechazos y el drama.
Menos mal que se deja leer y la cosa pasa pronto, porque al dos llega justita.
Tkjtwmr
I put in a request at the library for A week in Winter--by Maeve Binchy. This is what I ended up with--Willett is not as good a writer as Binchy by a long shot although I think her last few book are not as good as those she wrote earlier. A rather large cast of characters, all interconnected the meetings of which tell the story. Dressed up Harlequin!!
Kay
Got this book totally by accident. I went to the library website to reserve the new Maeve Binchy (same title)and obviously didn't read what I clicked on too well. It turned out to be a nice accident. I enjoyed this cozy book and would have given it 4 stars if the characters had more than one dimension and the word "whilst" wasn't used on every page.
Kelly
It wasn't a bad story, but I believe the book was way longer than it needed to be. The author dragged out the story so long that I was beginning to wonder why she titled the book as she did. It was a nice story though.
Sue
The first time I read this, nearly seven years ago, I thought it a wonderful book. I rated it very highly, and recommended it enthusiastically.

So, in re-reading my Marcia Willett novels, I was particularly looking forward to re-reading this one.

And, indeed, it's a nice story. Maudie decides to sell Moorgate, the old family holiday home. She has arguments with her step-daughter, and happy weekends with her step-granddaughter. She adopts a dog, and wonders if the house will ever sell.

Rob, who h
Mary Curry
Aug 11, 2013 Mary Curry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Maeve Binchey or Rosamund Pilcher
Recommended to Mary by: Becky
This book was a look at love from many directions. Maudie is a widowed second wife, haunted by things her husband said to his daughter before he died. Selina is her stepdaughter, driven in by hatred for and jealousy of her stepmother, and consequently driving away her husband and children. Posy is Selina's daughter, who, despite her mother's scheming, has a close relationship with her step-grandmother. Throw into the mix a farmhouse in Cornwall that Maudie is having remodeled to sell; Rob, the r ...more
Liz Lyden
From Amazon, Moorgate is an enchanting old country house that belongs to Maudie Todhunter, a spirited widow who has been holding on to the place for the sake of her beloved granddaughter. But Maudie can no longer afford a second home, so she reluctantly puts it up for sale.

Moorgate immediately attracts more buyers than Maudie knows what to do with. The first is Selina, her stepdaughter, who has never seen eye-to-eye with Maudie on anything. The second potential buyer is Rob Abbot, a contractor
Nell
Dec 31, 2012 Nell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, cache
Both the title and the cover blurb had me expecting this story to happen over the course of one week; it does not. It unfolds gently over nearly a year in the lives of these characters. There is one pivotal week in the lives of two characters. For others that week happens to different characters at different times, so the title puzzled me. It's a slow read - no fast paced action. Folks living their lives, making changes that only appear to be sudden, uncovering secrets from their past, losing mi ...more
Lauren
This was a fun, light read, and made me very happy to feel like I was in the English countryside as I read it. I had a hard time with some of the implausibility of the subplots, and with the family dynamics, particularly Selina/Maudie. However, I enjoyed listening to this book and will happily look for other similar, easy summer reads like this one.
Heather
I had read this years ago and found it on my bookshelf. I didn't remember anything about it...because it's not very memorable. It has a good story, but now I know I can get rid of the book.
Mary Fabrizio
a perfectly charming chick book that was great to listen to in the car for a long trip. loved the characters and enjoyed having them with me for the ride!
Terry
A predictable,yet pleasant story about family & friends and their attachment to a house that ties them all together.
The setting is the English countryside in the present time.
The author's style of writing is very similar to Maeve Binchy. In fact, the title is the same as Maeve Binchy's last book.
Nancy
Liked it very much. Could picture the moor. Makes me want to go there. I hope to find more books by this author.
Jimeetgandhi
As a rule, I do not read romantic stories. I just consider them popular nonsense. But this one, is a refreshing read.
Melissa
Loved this book. Fabulous story set in England, centered around a house and a family. Gorgeous descriptions.
Pam Newhouse
I liked this book,and the characters were very real. I plan on reading more by this author
Peg
Loved this one. Never had read Willett before but you can be sure I will read her again. She may be my new "Binchy"!
Patti
A 3.5. Excellent description, sense of place. But character and dialogue not as strong. A pleasant read and a lovely "place."
Beth
It was like a BBC soap but I really liked it.
Terri
I loved this story. Loved it. I was sad when I finished the book, because I am going to miss the characters so much!

The story centers around Maudie, her family and friends. After being widowed, Maudie is forced to put Mooregate, the family holiday home on the market. This triggers a chain of events that will affect the lives of all of them.

The story is about famlies, and love and secrets kept and secrets revealed. It's about how a decision we make today can affect so many lives.

If you want a gr
MomToKippy
An unenthusiastic 3 stars. This is a Rosamunde Pilcher wannabe book. Same setting, lots of descriptive imagery of the Cornwall countryside, relationships spanning generations etc. But it is somehwat flat in my opinion. Just does not give me that same cozy feel. I don't feel I come to know the characters in the same way as Pilcher's or Binchy's. The second half of the book is more interesting than the first. I enjoyed the story between Melissa and Rob however and Patrick's emancipation. meh
Susan
I invested into more than halfway through this audio and decided it wasn't for me. While the house is prominently mentioned in the story, it was used as a catalyst for family situations rather than a character-like presence, which I wasn't expecting.

And, this may be spoiler-ish, it involves a character with a terminal illness. I generally read books to be entertained and for everyone to find their HEA. So, if this kind of stuff doesn't matter, it is well written, reminded me alot of Rosamunde Pi
Louise Walsh
A nice read. I enjoyed it.
Jeanne
Every once in a while I feel like reading a "feel good" book, one that doesn't tax my brain and I can just enjoy. "A Week in Winter" fits this description perfectly and it happens to be well written. Willett does a good job with character development and sets the scene with English countryside descriptions.
  • An Ocean Apart
  • House of Dolls
  • Hot Dish
  • Marrying Mom
  • Colony
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end
More about Marcia Willett...
A Summer in the Country The Children's Hour The Summer House The Birdcage: A Novel Echoes of the Dance