Start by marking “A Week in Winter” as Want to Read:
A Week in Winter

A Week in Winter

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,702 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Every once in a while a very special story comes along that deserves an enormous cozy chair with a view of rolling hills, a fire snapping quietly in the hearth, a cup of real cocoa in a favorite mug, and a plate of homemade cookies. A Week in Winter is such a tale.

Published February 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Week in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Week in Winter

Margitte
The blurb says it is a book for a cozy long weekend in front of a warm fire, or something like that. That it is.

Somewhere in England, nestled in the Cornwall area, an enchanting old farmhouse, called, Moorgate, stood dilapidated in disgraceful despair. Abandoned and sad, it was just a matter of time before the gracious old house gave up pretense and succumb to her destiny.

The Todhunters were the owners and for many years Moorgate was a place where the family spend happy summer holidays togethe
Dianne
Apr 17, 2012 Dianne rated it it was amazing
I discovered this author just by chance, looking for authors like Rosamund Pilcher. Well I have to tell you I love this author and all her books that I have read by her so far. I like mysteries but sometimes need a little break from them. With her books I can relax and read her stories and know that I will be in for a cozy experience. Wonderful story as are all the ones by her that I have read so far. I have read Summer in the Country and The way we Were also. If you are a fan of Rosamund Pilche ...more
MomToKippy
An unenthusiastic 3 stars. This is a Rosamunde Pilcher wannabe book. Same setting, lots of descriptive imagery of the Cornwall countryside, relationships spanning generations etc. But it is somehwat flat in my opinion. Just does not give me that same cozy feel. I don't feel I come to know the characters in the same way as Pilcher's or Binchy's. The second half of the book is more interesting than the first. I enjoyed the story between Melissa and Rob however and Patrick's emancipation. meh
Cathy Ryan
Mar 14, 2015 Cathy Ryan rated it really liked it
Maudie Todhunter, Hector’s second wife, is recently widowed and has decided to sell Moorgate, the family’s holiday home, for much-needed funds. Her step daughter, Selina, has always hated Maudie through jealousy and her need to always come first. She has never forgiven Maudie for ‘taking her mother’s place’ and is obsessed with the need to possess, whether it’s people or things. Her continued hostility and bitterness eventually takes its toll on her long-suffering family. Selina’s daughter, Posy ...more
Trisha
Mar 12, 2009 Trisha rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher, you will enjoy this story.
This author has a down to earth style, which engages you through the entire book.
Relationships are opened up in a family - Maude decides to sell Moorgate after being widowed for a year. Hector, her husband, had children from his first marriage and one of the girls, Selina, wants to buy Moorgate (which is situated on the edge of the moor in Cornwall).
But Rob, the contractor who has been renovating the property, has
Adrienne
I'd never heard of this book or its author, but I found it on clearance at B&N and was intrigued enough to pick it up. All in all, it was okay. I'm not sure whether I'll read it again.

PROS: The imagery (the novel is set in the English countryside) was GORGEOUS. The author really makes you feel as if you were there. The characters were relatable and likable, and the conclusion was tidy and generally happy. The story is told from several perspectives, which I enjoyed.

CONS: Adultery plays a maj
Hannah
Apr 02, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
Recommended to Hannah by: Susan
Reminded me alot of the books by Alexandra Raife, in both the descriptive setting each author uses as well as the relationship struggles between the characters.

Where Willet didn't fully satisfy me was in writing too much "filler". It prevented the story from being as tight as I would have preferred. Cutting out an unnecessary storyline (view spoiler) and taking out 50-75 pages would have, IMO, allowed the central story to sing.

I did enjoy
Lauren
Aug 26, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oh God I am the biggest sucker ever for a cozy book set in a big home in Cornwall! I just adore them all and this one certainly didn't disappoint. Perfect for curling up with a hot cup of tea.
Bonny
Dec 18, 2014 Bonny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio
Sometimes you really need a book to take you away from reality and your present situation. Thank you, Marcia Willett, for doing that, even if it was only temporary.
Smarika
Mar 28, 2012 Smarika rated it really liked it
I know, I know the cover makes you want to puke. But it was an unexpectedly good read. Cozy is the right word. As the name hints, it's the perfect book to read deep in winter wrapped in a warm quilt against the fireplace as snow falls outside. The characters are not lacking, the scenery lovely and Maudie is the comforting soul you can talk to languidly in these moments. And she wears tartan skirts. What more could one want?

I've come back to this book quite a few times.

And I've just realised Maud
Estibaliz79
Feb 24, 2013 Estibaliz79 rated it it was ok
Amor a primera vista+enfermedad mortal= si me lo dices antes claramente, ese tiempo que me hubiera ahorrado.
Dejando a un lado que no son lo mío las novelas románticas per se, y que ésta promete intimismo pero da más tono rosa que otra cosa, lo cierto es que para mi gusto esta novela exagera con los flechazos y el drama.
Menos mal que se deja leer y la cosa pasa pronto, porque al dos llega justita.
Tkjtwmr
Jan 29, 2014 Tkjtwmr rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
I put in a request at the library for A week in Winter--by Maeve Binchy. This is what I ended up with--Willett is not as good a writer as Binchy by a long shot although I think her last few book are not as good as those she wrote earlier. A rather large cast of characters, all interconnected the meetings of which tell the story. Dressed up Harlequin!!
Kay
Oct 07, 2012 Kay rated it liked it
Got this book totally by accident. I went to the library website to reserve the new Maeve Binchy (same title)and obviously didn't read what I clicked on too well. It turned out to be a nice accident. I enjoyed this cozy book and would have given it 4 stars if the characters had more than one dimension and the word "whilst" wasn't used on every page.
Kelly
Nov 08, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad story, but I believe the book was way longer than it needed to be. The author dragged out the story so long that I was beginning to wonder why she titled the book as she did. It was a nice story though.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Fabulous story set in England, centered around a house and a family. Gorgeous descriptions.
Diane
Mar 08, 2017 Diane rated it liked it
While the storyline was intriguing and I enjoyed many of the characters, the "week in winter" aspect and what followed was a bit too "romance-y" for me. I still found it a good commuter read.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2009
The first time I read this, nearly seven years ago, I thought it a wonderful book. I rated it very highly, and recommended it enthusiastically.

So, in re-reading my Marcia Willett novels, I was particularly looking forward to re-reading this one.

And, indeed, it's a nice story. Maudie decides to sell Moorgate, the old family holiday home. She has arguments with her step-daughter, and happy weekends with her step-granddaughter. She adopts a dog, and wonders if the house will ever sell.

Rob, who h
Shannon
Oct 22, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
A slow start. It was also a bit overlong; a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version would be very useful. All that aside, a good read. I was able to see the "surprise" element coming a long way off, but that's fine. It had good characterizations and a great setting: you can't beat Cornwall!
I think it is interesting, and a little amazing, how the English fixation on their houses and homes is such a real thing that it crops up continuously over the span of centuries, genres and plots. I have seen it t
Mary
Aug 11, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Maeve Binchey or Rosamund Pilcher
Recommended to Mary by: Becky
This book was a look at love from many directions. Maudie is a widowed second wife, haunted by things her husband said to his daughter before he died. Selina is her stepdaughter, driven in by hatred for and jealousy of her stepmother, and consequently driving away her husband and children. Posy is Selina's daughter, who, despite her mother's scheming, has a close relationship with her step-grandmother. Throw into the mix a farmhouse in Cornwall that Maudie is having remodeled to sell; Rob, the r ...more
Liz Lyden
Aug 23, 2011 Liz Lyden rated it liked it
From Amazon, Moorgate is an enchanting old country house that belongs to Maudie Todhunter, a spirited widow who has been holding on to the place for the sake of her beloved granddaughter. But Maudie can no longer afford a second home, so she reluctantly puts it up for sale.

Moorgate immediately attracts more buyers than Maudie knows what to do with. The first is Selina, her stepdaughter, who has never seen eye-to-eye with Maudie on anything. The second potential buyer is Rob Abbot, a contractor
Nell
Dec 31, 2012 Nell rated it really liked it
Shelves: cache, z2013
Both the title and the cover blurb had me expecting this story to happen over the course of one week; it does not. It unfolds gently over nearly a year in the lives of these characters. There is one pivotal week in the lives of two characters. For others that week happens to different characters at different times, so the title puzzled me. It's a slow read - no fast paced action. Folks living their lives, making changes that only appear to be sudden, uncovering secrets from their past, losing mi ...more
Mariella Deliyannis
Sep 25, 2016 Mariella Deliyannis rated it really liked it
I started reading this book as a Rosamunde Pilcher wannabe and was ready to dismiss it as inferior to the original but.... couldn't! They write in the same vein, Pilcher and Marcia Willett and I enjoyed the book very much! The characters were well drawn, they were real and not made up either for a happy ending or for a tearful feast. The author described people who lived and breathed and did it very well. The psychology was very good and it satisfied me that I was reading something credible but ...more
Donna
Nov 01, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a certain book is just what a reader needs at a particular time; such is A Week in Winter for me. Contrived plots? Yes. Conveniently resolved endings? Most definitely, and I loved all of them. So put away your editor's pen and revel in the life of Maudie Todhunter. Willett's rich characterization validates the actions of the individuals in Maudie's life, especially her stepchildren and their offspring. This slice of English life revolves around a beloved farmhouse in Cornwall that serv ...more
Martha
Jul 11, 2016 Martha rated it really liked it
One special week. How such a short time can change everything. Set in England, with a cast of characters you can love, and even hate. Maudie becomes a step-mother when she marries widower Hector, who has two daughters. One daughter, Selina, hates everything about Maudie. After all, she stole her father away from her. The story opens with Hector deceased a year ago, and how Maudie copes with the property on the moors she inherited. The story weaves the past with the present, and misconceptions wi ...more
Susan
I invested into more than halfway through this audio and decided it wasn't for me. While the house is prominently mentioned in the story, it was used as a catalyst for family situations rather than a character-like presence, which I wasn't expecting.

And, this may be spoiler-ish, it involves a character with a terminal illness. I generally read books to be entertained and for everyone to find their HEA. So, if this kind of stuff doesn't matter, it is well written, reminded me alot of Rosamunde Pi
Knitme23
Well. Went to the libe on this HOT Saturday looking for fluff to read, and I found some! Better yet, this was COLD fluff--Cornwall in winter. It's nicely written Grandma bookage, really, the kind of book you'd be happy to find in a rental. REALLY reminds me of Rosamund Pilcher and Maeve Binchy, but in a respectful, not a cheap ripoff, way. Fun read. I have another of hers, set in the summer, to read next. Yeehah!
Lav
This book talks about different people who live their lives to their best & how they handle various relationships that they encounter. It talks about relationships like brother & sister, grandmother & granddaughter, husband & wife, mother & daughter & friends. Also all kinds of emotions that travel between every relationship. Life is a web of relationships & emotions that one faces. That is what this book is all about, its a story about people, their lives, relationsh ...more
Jackie Weger
Sep 03, 2013 Jackie Weger rated it it was amazing
A splendid and lyrical read. Blurbs on this book mention Daphne Du Maurier, Rosamunde Pilcher and Maeve Binchy--all of whom are some of my favorite authors. The blurbs suggest if the reader enjoys those writers and their books, we are sure to like Marcia Willett's A Week in Winter. Folks, the blurbs are dead on. I loved this book! The story is everything I want in women's fiction. I did not skip a word or a page and neither will you.
Janet
Jun 20, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
It was OK, I thought it was a little melodramatic and, like someone already observed, it could have been a little shorter. I found it interesting how the characters' names always fit their personalities-such as Selina, who made me think of a feline, sleek and stealthy; Maudie, who was no-nonsense; etc. I'm just glad I don't have a family like that-I wonder how many people actually have a mother as bitchy as Selina.
Marsha
Dec 14, 2016 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the December read for my local book club. I hadn't read a Marcia Willett book before and fell in love with her writing. This will not be my last. Moorgate is the country home left to Maudie on the death of her husband. She has another home and old car that both need work/replacing. She is torn but realizes she must sell Moongate even though she had hoped to be able to leave it to her step-granddaughter. The story weaves around the home and those who love it.
  • Starting Over
  • Secret Keepers
  • Hot Dish
  • The Year at Thrush Green
  • Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Other Stories
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end
More about Marcia Willett...