Start by marking “Nightshift NYC” as Want to Read:
Nightshift NYC

Nightshift NYC

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
New York is the city that never sleeps. This luminous book peels back the cover of darkness over the city as it hums along in the night, revealing a hidden world populated by the thousands of women and men who work and live the nightshift. Written with beauty and grace, Nightshift NYC weaves together cultural critique, vivid reportage, and arresting photographs to trace th ...more
Published November 10th 2008 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nightshift NYC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightshift NYC

Sayer Addington
A very informative, narrative about personal and factual stories
Based through NYC, which limits the perspective but I believe that it encompasses the main theories and situations understood through the book.
Russ
Aug 08, 2010 Russ rated it really liked it
Quite simply, these are the stories of people who work the night shift in the New York City area. Most of the stories are really interesting and inspirational. Each worker has a different story, different reasons for working at night, and different coping strategies. Even so, there are similarities among all of these hardy individuals. Lack of sleep seems to be the largest theme. Reading this book will make you appreciate people who alter their natural body rhythms to work at night, either willi ...more
Danya
Oct 15, 2011 Danya rated it liked it
The book clarified, from the workers' point of view, the costs and the benefits of third shift - and the diverse circumstances that draw/force New Yorkers to work them. I wish the authors had moved beyond healthcare, diner, doorman, and taxi/transportation professions. I know many New Yorkers who work security, shipping and receiving, retail, clerical, phone service/operator, etc. positions overnight, and the book would have benefitted from a more thorough coverage of New York's diverse sectprs.
Brokenshoelace
Jul 13, 2010 Brokenshoelace rated it it was amazing
I guess it is only fitting that I am reviewing this book past midnight on a weekday. Great book. I love NYC. I loved working nightshifts in my youth. Never got to put the two together. I do miss the experiences of nightshift work. It is indeed a different world than the dayshift. This book brings back the memories of that those time for me. Very insightful and right on the mark.
Masked
Feb 16, 2009 Masked rated it really liked it
Shelves: way-true-helpful
i was fortunate enough to see these folks in a coffee house just down the street from my home. they tell a good story and can talk to (and about) just about anybody. the photos are lovely and you come away from the book feeling like you spent some time with lou reed back in the day. this is a good thing.
Karyn
Jan 11, 2009 Karyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: some-of, nonfiction
I had to return the copy I was reading to the library before I had finished with it, but I loved loved loved it and gave a copy to Jane for Christmas, so I hope I can go back to read the rest!
13/49 in 2008
Carrie
Feb 27, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a great book about the people who work and live at night. It was part history of New York City and part anthropological study, and reminded me of working the swing shift as a cashier.
Kara
May 02, 2009 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting look at life at night in NYC - diner, ferry, subway, and hospital employees as well as a chapter on homelessness.
JulieK
Sep 14, 2009 JulieK rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of this book, but found myself getting bored - maybe just too many stories that were too similar?
C
Jul 06, 2012 C rated it it was ok
Interesting but a little redundant. Fascinating topic but profiles not in depth enough.
Shannon Haragan
Apr 23, 2009 Shannon Haragan rated it it was amazing
Simply wonderful! Fascinating, engaging, illuminating. A must-read!
Julie
Apr 01, 2009 Julie marked it as to-read
Nightshift NYC by Russell Leigh Sharman (2008)
Mab
Dec 26, 2009 Mab rated it really liked it
Haunting, creepy . . .
Rachel Kahn Taylor
Rachel Kahn Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Mark Montgomery
Mark Montgomery marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Dec 20, 2015

marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Haris Abbasi
Haris Abbasi marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Dodo Chiang
Dodo Chiang rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Trysh
Trysh marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Cheryl Harris Sharman, MA, is a writer and researcher whose ethnographic and investigative writing on social inequalities health, housing, homelessness, poverty, race/ethnicity, gender, and labor has been published in the US, UK, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Her work has appeared in publications such as Scientific American Online, the Lancet, the Miami Herald, the San Francisco Chronicle, Cen ...more
More about Russell Leigh Sharman...