Start by marking “The Twelve Days of Winter: A School Counting Book” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Days of Winter: A School Counting Book

The Twelve Days of Winter: A School Counting Book

It's wintertime! That means it's the season for mittens, snow, and twelve days of surprises. In this high-energy, school-loving class, the teacher introduces a new winter activity every day. As the teacher's gifts add up - teddy bears, paper snowflakes, sugar cubes - and the days get colder, the classroom is transformed into wintery chaos.
Published October 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Days of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Days of Winter

The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateDavid Goes To School by David ShannonPete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
Picture Books About Kindergarten
50th out of 106 books — 16 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee BurtonOwl Moon by Jane YolenStranger in the Woods by Carl R. Sams II
Snow Day Books
72nd out of 75 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Kim
Oct 29, 2007 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of preschool and elementary-aged children; teachers
I can't believe I'd never heard of this book before discovering it in the library and checking it out for my son. A picture book with text inspired by the familiar Christmas song, The Twelve Days of Winter is ideal for read-aloud time. Like the song, the book builds counting and memory skills as it progresses from the first to the twelfth day. In addition, the setting prompted my son and me to discuss his anticipation of both winter (he's eager to try all the activities depicted in the book) and ...more
Dolly
Jan 01, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining school and winter-based version of the classic song, The Twelve Days of Christmas. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish with lots of interesting details, making this a terrific book to read with young elementary school-age children. We enjoyed reading (singing) this book together.

Patricia
Apr 22, 2014 Patricia rated it did not like it
Shelves: antonija
Not a fan of books using a tune that can get stuck in one's head. My daughter wanted to know why they were getting all this stuff just because it was winter. No one enjoyed the illustrations, which are ugly and also depicted a boy sticking his finger up his nose incessantly, which is frankly, stomach-turning. Will definitely avoid this author and illustrator in the future.
Sarah Adamson
Aug 12, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it
A fun book - especially to read in August in Southern California!!
A great counting book and non-religious holiday book for the in winter season. To the rhyme / music of the 12 days of Christmas but all secular and winter related. Fun with cute pictures.
Kelsey Nauert
Sep 08, 2011 Kelsey Nauert rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The book is a spin on "The Twelve Days of Christmas". The book helps with counting and recognizing objects associated with winter. I read this book to a child at the daycare at which I work and he enjoyed the book as I asked him questions along the way.
David
Jan 14, 2009 David rated it it was ok
This book epitomizes a lot of what I dislike about group schooling: disobedience, poor health habits, teasing, teachers venting on kids. Wow, and all that was unintentionally put in the pictures. I'm so sorry.
Kristin
Feb 12, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
Great story..but way too much for my family storytimes. The little ones didn't remember any of the stanzas..so I ended up just having them count up to 12 with me..they enjoyed that the most.
Wendy
Mar 23, 2009 Wendy added it
My kids can read this book over and over - there's so much to take away from the illustrations, and it seems that each time we read it, there's something new to find.
Breana Vining
Jan 25, 2010 Breana Vining rated it really liked it
This book is great for illustrations. The pictures are very detailed and young children would enjoy the read!
Jamie
Dec 07, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This is a great story to talk about a cumulative tale and then write one as a class.
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
Fun winter book. Uses memory and numbers to tell the story.
Sheri
Nov 07, 2007 Sheri added it
another Scholastic pick.
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Amber W
Amber W rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Laura Morrow
Laura Morrow rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Laura Hoyler
Laura Hoyler rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Rida Desai
Rida Desai marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Ellen
Ellen added it
Mar 25, 2016
J4
J4 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Country Fun
Country Fun rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Raj
Raj marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Melissa Marvin
Melissa Marvin marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2015
Pat Knight
Pat Knight marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015