Start by marking “The Twelve Days of Winter: A School Counting Book” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Days of Winter: A School Counting Book

The Twelve Days of Winter: A School Counting Book

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It's wintertime! That means it's the season for mittens, snow, and twelve days of surprises. In this high-energy, school-loving class, the teacher introduces a new winter activity every day. As the teacher's gifts add up - teddy bears, paper snowflakes, sugar cubes - and the days get colder, the classroom is transformed into wintery chaos.
Published October 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Days of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Days of Winter

The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennDavid Goes To School by David ShannonMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateThe Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha WingChu's First Day of School by Neil Gaiman
Picture Books About Kindergarten
47th out of 102 books — 10 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee BurtonOwl Moon by Jane YolenStranger in the Woods by Carl R. Sams II
Snow Day Books
71st out of 74 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
Kim
Oct 29, 2007 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of preschool and elementary-aged children; teachers
I can't believe I'd never heard of this book before discovering it in the library and checking it out for my son. A picture book with text inspired by the familiar Christmas song, The Twelve Days of Winter is ideal for read-aloud time. Like the song, the book builds counting and memory skills as it progresses from the first to the twelfth day. In addition, the setting prompted my son and me to discuss his anticipation of both winter (he's eager to try all the activities depicted in the book) and ...more
Dolly
Jan 01, 2015 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining school and winter-based version of the classic song, The Twelve Days of Christmas. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish with lots of interesting details, making this a terrific book to read with young elementary school-age children. We enjoyed reading (singing) this book together.

Patricia
Not a fan of books using a tune that can get stuck in one's head. My daughter wanted to know why they were getting all this stuff just because it was winter. No one enjoyed the illustrations, which are ugly and also depicted a boy sticking his finger up his nose incessantly, which is frankly, stomach-turning. Will definitely avoid this author and illustrator in the future.
Kelsey Nauert
The book is a spin on "The Twelve Days of Christmas". The book helps with counting and recognizing objects associated with winter. I read this book to a child at the daycare at which I work and he enjoyed the book as I asked him questions along the way.
David
This book epitomizes a lot of what I dislike about group schooling: disobedience, poor health habits, teasing, teachers venting on kids. Wow, and all that was unintentionally put in the pictures. I'm so sorry.
Kristin
Great story..but way too much for my family storytimes. The little ones didn't remember any of the stanzas..so I ended up just having them count up to 12 with me..they enjoyed that the most.
Wendy
Mar 23, 2009 Wendy added it
My kids can read this book over and over - there's so much to take away from the illustrations, and it seems that each time we read it, there's something new to find.
WeeLovesToRead
Hilarious book. I love that each child is doing the same thing on each page. My son's favorite part was the child who was picking his nose on each page!
Breana Vining
This book is great for illustrations. The pictures are very detailed and young children would enjoy the read!
Jamie
This is a great story to talk about a cumulative tale and then write one as a class.
Leah
Fun winter book. Uses memory and numbers to tell the story.
Sheri
Nov 07, 2007 Sheri added it
another Scholastic pick.
Sheri Gibson
Sheri Gibson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Angelo
Angelo added it
Mar 23, 2015
Elanor
Elanor added it
Mar 09, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
LeVar Stevens
LeVar Stevens marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Into The A, B, Sea: An Ocean Alphabet Book The Twelve Days of Kindergarten: A Counting Book Someone's Sleepy All the Seasons of the Year The Spelling Bee Before Recess