Start by marking “Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil” as Want to Read:
Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil

Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,631 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
You won't believe the incredible drawings you can create using common pencils and the special techniques illustrated in this book. These methods are so easy that anyone--from doodler to advanced artist--can master them in minutes! Step by step, you'll learn how to capture the look of metal, glass, weathered wood, skin, hair and other textures. Two detailed start-to-finish ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by North Light Books

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth Johnson1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyFa la la la Felt by Amanda CarestioLearning to Weave by Deborah ChandlerColor Works by Deb Menz
CREATE!
108th out of 128 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Scott
Aug 11, 2010 Michael Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, art
J.D. Hillberry's Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil is a course on intermediate and advance drawing that focuses on texturing. Following a detailed introduction of the tools of the trade (carbon, charcoal, graphite, and all sorts of erasers, smudgers, blenders, and so on), the author details his technique for generating a wide variety of textures, including wood, metal, and water (with reflections). Very interesting reading.
عبدالرحمن
Nov 11, 2013 عبدالرحمن rated it liked it
Not bad for me, despite the author is discussing techniques not suitable to my own style, at least the book inspired me the concepts of making textures with pencils, covered the basics of creating textures with pencils & blending tools, also the accentuation of Mr Hillberry about necessity of every artist must develop his own style & techniques.

The reason why I couldn't give it higher rating, is that the most of author's work is done with charcoal pencils, which I rarely use, & doing
Gabriel
Apr 23, 2011 Gabriel rated it really liked it
With a title that specific, you know the scope of the work will necessarily be limited; however, Hillberry does an admirable job of covering excellent techniques for realism in this medium. Information is illustrated well and laid out clearly and logically. I thought I was knowledgeable on photorealistic pencil work, but I was surprised by clever methods and material manipulations the author presented which I had never before encountered. Very recommended for intermediate to advanced dry media a ...more
Michelle
Jul 25, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-instruction
Hillberry gives great tips and advice for working in pencil and charcoal, and introduces a variety of tools for the artist that are easily found around the house. He is a great artist, and I recommend you follow him on facebook as well for more tutorials and videos to help you with your art.
Denise
Jul 09, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Assuming the reader already has a handle on shape and perspective, the right amount of explanation with visual step-by-step. I would like to see more about blond and facial hair (only because that is my area of difficulty). Otherwise, great range of textures from shiny glass to bumpy wood.

Chapter 1: The Materials. The very minimum anyone needs is a pencil and a piece of paper. For serious drawing, it is important to have a variety of pencils, erasers, blenders, and paper. Mr. Hillberry's prefere
David Buchan
Oct 01, 2014 David Buchan rated it it was amazing
Inspirational

The limited tonal range of standard pencils guarantee flat drawings. J D Hillberry gives us the tools, techniques and inspirational examples to breath life and three dimensionality into pencil drawings. The only difference between his drawings and photographs is they're better, bringing an artist's composition to each picture. Essential and easy to follow guide. Even my sketching improved.
Martha Smith
Jul 05, 2014 Martha Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Overall, I think this book was very good at teaching graphite pencil drawing techniques. A good fit for beginning or intermediate drawing students. There are many nice pencil drawings in this book. Pencil is a tool for drawing masters. I think any student can pick up a trick or two from this book. Or just refresh what you have learned but may have forgotten.
Tony Orcutt
May 16, 2014 Tony Orcutt rated it liked it
Not quite as informative as I would hoped it would be, but it does offer a lot of different techniques at creating realistic textures. J.D. Hillberry is a much better artist than a writer in my opinion though.
Judy
Mar 22, 2016 Judy added it
This is a well-written book with many sound techniques for realistic drawings. One of the best I have read and worked with.
Darla Dixon
Dec 07, 2008 Darla Dixon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: intermediate artists and up
The art is incredible. The artist taught himself his art techniques by experimentation. He is a self taught artist. With practice and following his tips, you can do it too. However, I don't think this book is for a beginning artist. I think a beginner could be discouraged too quickly by not being able to obtain the same results. It can take years to really become skilled at the techniques, but you never know unless you try!
Serge Pierro
Sep 24, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Hillberry shows what is possible with pencil and paper, plus an arsenal of shading techniques. The book is broken down into four informative sections: Materials, Tips and Techniques, Draw Realistic Objects and Putting it all Together. This really isn't a book for a beginner (though the techniques can be practiced by a beginner), but for someone who is at least at the intermediate level in their drawing ability.
Laurie
Nov 22, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok
I think some of the techniques in this book are helpful for beginners who want to draw more challenging textures, but the descriptions of executing the techniques were not thorough enough to me. I would still recommend it to adult students who wanted some sort of reference book for how to draw textures like metal, wood, etc.
Hud-c
Jul 26, 2013 Hud-c rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, art
This book deals with textures & shading techniques, so there's definitely a limited scope to focus upon. What I like about this is how the author instructs the reader. Very helpful, straight to the point advise and tips but not limiting the artist in you to explore your own creative imagination.
Monica
Nov 29, 2011 Monica rated it did not like it
Am abandoning this. The explanations are not thorough enough and this book is not suitable for those learning to draw. But the graphite drawings are beautifully and realistic done which show the artist's skill, which I admire.
Melissa
Feb 01, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Mr. Hillberry is an excellent photo-realistic artist, and the step-by-step guidelines and tips in this book are very helpful. The only complaint I have is that it's not long enough.
Graham
Dec 11, 2010 Graham rated it it was amazing
Aimed at the more serious graphite artist, this is an example of the standards we should strive to attain.
Karen
Apr 20, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
I can't draw like this yet (if ever), but I still like seeing how it's done.
Iesha Patterson
this looks good.i haven't read it,but i have every intention to.
S.D. Phillips
S.D. Phillips rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Donnie Cooper
Donnie Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Jales
Jales marked it as to-read
Dakota Moe
Dakota Moe rated it it was amazing
Highpowercleaning
Highpowercleaning rated it it was amazing
Davidt
Davidt marked it as to-read
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Tariq
Tariq rated it it was amazing
Bondoc Alina
Bondoc Alina marked it as to-read
Mihai Cozma
Mihai Cozma rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Ratna Wijaya
Ratna Wijaya rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Hisoka
Hisoka rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
  • Pencil Drawing Techniques
  • Fun with a Pencil
  • Drawing Scenery: Seascapes and Landscapes
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Drawing the Human Head
  • Colored Pencil Painting Bible: Techniques for Achieving Luminous Color and Ultrarealistic Effects
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
  • Figure Drawing Without a Model
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing