Start by marking “Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2: The Chained Coffin & The Right Hand of Doom and Others (Hellboy, #3-4)” as Want to Read:

Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2: The Chained Coffin & The Right Hand of Doom and Others (Hellboy #3-4)

4.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  845 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Since Mike Mignola's Hellboy first hit the stands in 1993, it has become a cultural sensation, racking up a dozen Eisner Awards and inspiring numerous spinoffs - from a novel line, to video games, to feature films. Now, Dark Horse is pleased to present the comics that started it all, collected in deluxe hardcover editions. Sized at a generous 9' x 12', and handsomely bound ...more
Library Binding, 327 pages
Published October 21st 2008 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2

Aildiin
Jul 19, 2015 Aildiin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a collection of short stories and I have to say I enjoyed those a lot. Some of these develop the Hellboy mythology, some are just for fun.
The art is top notch and we can see Mike Mignola fully in control of his technic.
Brooke
Mar 31, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Out of all of the Hellboy library editions, this one is my favorite. It still amazes me how Mike Mignola sets the tone with is art and his use of panels. Reading this collection, it's easy to see that he does his research to create a feeling of something dark, cultural, and very real just under the surface of our understanding.
Andrew
Apr 05, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hellboy is always a good time. This collection of Hellboy stories is wonderful to read. The book itself is pretty gorgeous, with its black velvety cover and the large page sizes. The Hellboy story is a lot of fun, and full of interesting satanic characters and religious references, such as Satan and other demonic presences, mixed in with a healthy dose of fantasy and horror genre heavyweights like Frankenstein.

I have little to crticise, besides the fact that I didn't feel I enjoyed this second
Deodand
Nov 23, 2014 Deodand rated it it was amazing
This was terrific. "The Corpse" has to be the best comic I've read in years. Authors should look to Mignola's examples of how to do more with less.
Jeb
Jul 09, 2015 Jeb rated it it was amazing
This collection contains my all-time favorite Hellboy story, The Corpse, along with a whole lot of other awesomeness. In a sense this is sort of a collection of odds and ends, mostly one-shots and backups and a couple of mini-series, but it does include stuff that adds to the Hellboy mythos in a significant way. (You also get the sense from the author's notes that Mignola never really intended for there to be a Hellboy mythos--he just wanted to draw a monster beating up other monsters and it kin ...more
Kat Ritchie
Jun 29, 2014 Kat Ritchie rated it liked it
This is an excellent book. I thought rather hard about what rating to give it. I would probably give it three and a half stars if I could, which is only a half star less than the rating I gave the first book, simply because I enjoy longer stories more than short stories. This book is a compilation of short stories, which do sort of explain the canon, but some of which sort of feel like "this is how Hellboy beat / beat up this monster".
I also enjoyed reading the afterword and the sketches, and r
Julie
Continuing on with Hellboy. It's slightly disconcerting that they chose to order these Library Editions the way they did. Half the stories in this book belong between the two longer stories in volume 1. I was surprised at how much I liked some of the quick 2-5 pages shorts, though. There is a bunch of background getting filled in in this collection, at least on Hellboy; I wouldn't mind some more backstory about other members of his team, though. There's a Liz Sherman tale in here but it doesn't ...more
Felix
Aug 05, 2009 Felix rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The beautiful design of the Library Edition I have already praised in my review of the first volume, so I'll skip it here. Suffice to say that this second volume comes up to the high standard set by its precursor including the magnificent sketchbook pages with commentary by Mignola.

Contentwise this volume combines two paperback editions, namely "The Chained Coffin" and "The Right Hand of Doom", both collecting several short stories that followed the longer story arcs of "Seed of Destruction" and
Brenton Nichol
There's not a lot to be said here that I didn't already say in my review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) of Volume 1 of the Hellboy Library Editions: these cloth-bound, hardcover, oversized editions contain gorgeous, richly colored artwork, the forewards of the original trade paperbacks, an introduction and afterward by Hellboy editor Scott Allie and creator Mike Mignola, and bonus sections at the back with sketchbook pages and, often, the original cover artwork of some of the single ...more
Randy Lander
Feb 03, 2009 Randy Lander rated it it was amazing
I meant to read just a few stories of this last night. It's all short stories, I figured there would be easy stopping points.

And there were. Plenty of them. This book contains a variety of short tales, a few of them containing key bits of info about Hellboy (including his origin, tidbits about his right hand, how he came to shoot out Baba Yaga's eye) but most of them just featuring Hellboy's adventures from the '50s on as he dealt with a variety of folklorical menaces.

But they are all so good th
Craig Sieracki
Jan 05, 2015 Craig Sieracki rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite comic series of all-time and these editions are excellent. Volume 2 is a collection of shorter stories and avoid the giant story arcs that Volume 1 possessed. I enjoyed these stories as they present Hellboy as more of a wandering occult investigator as opposed to Government Agent. The art style is incredible and the writing is fantastic. The Library editions are a wonderful addition that put fantastic stories on my bookshelf as opposed to in a cardboard box.
Jason
Nov 16, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
this collection pales a bit in comparison to the first volume...these shorter pieces just don't pack the punch the longer stories in the initial volume were able to deliver...
the edition is just beautiful though, and any fan of folklore based fantasy will still enjoy this book...
and mignola's artwork still floors me...it's so incredibly original and arresting, and so fitted to the tone of the material...
his figure work and portraits are very simplistic, almost crude, like slightly advanced cave
Robert Cochran
Hellboy gets better and better as it goes. While some people might find some of these shorter installments lacking compared to the longer formats I feel they do a splendid job of adding to the mythos of the character and the universe in which he resides. All in all, you can never go wrong with a good Hellboy book.
Kyle Burley
Feb 14, 2015 Kyle Burley rated it it was amazing
Just gorgeous. Hellboy is one of my all time top-ten comics, combining Lovecraftian horror, folklore and fairy tales, Gothic melodrama, pulp adventure, Jack Kirby style super-hero action and one of the great monster/hero protagonists in popular literature.
This volume features, primarily, shorter Hellboy stories, including two of my favourites, "The Corpse" and "The Wolves of St. August".
Olivia
Jul 09, 2015 Olivia rated it it was amazing
What? I liked this volume even more than the first one? This collection of short stories just did it for me. Most importantly, the first story, "Pancakes," is perhaps the best use of two pages in the history of anything.
Charlene
it was obligated to do a re-capping of the Hellboy series; this volume contains the best of Mignola's work; "Pancakes", "The Corpse" and "The Wolves of St. August."
Ian
Jan 21, 2014 Ian rated it really liked it
The library editions are some of the best compilations out there. Beautiful books that fit the Mignola art and storytelling style. This particular volume has some of my favorite Hellboy stories such as the Coffin and the Right Hand of Doom. Must have for Hellboy fans.
N Lopez
Jan 25, 2016 N Lopez added it
Shelves: comics
Fantastic short stories. The variability of the length keeps the stories unpredictable and fresh.
Garrett Byrum
Jan 21, 2016 Garrett Byrum rated it it was amazing
A fun horror masterpiece of a collection, even better than the first
Joe
Jan 12, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
Awesome collection of short stories, while advancing the "main" plotline of the series.
Tim
Jun 29, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love all of these short stories so much. Loved then before, loved them now, and I'll live then again ink the future.
Aishling O'Neill
May 25, 2015 Aishling O'Neill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Pamcakes!
Francesco Zullo
Mar 14, 2014 Francesco Zullo rated it really liked it
Tanti racconti brevi che culminano in un paio di storie davvero interessanti. Mignola si conferma ancora una volta un grande autore, la sua capacità di sfruttare ambienti e temi horror strizzando l'occhio al thrilling ed al puro intrattenimento rendono molto piacevole anche una lettura "discontinua" come quella di un volume di stroie brevi, come questo seconda Enciclopedia di Hellboy...in attesa del terzo!
Roger
Oct 20, 2013 Roger rated it really liked it
Shelves: superheroes, horror
Short stories based on old legends of monsters and demons. The art and use of color are great and instantly recognizable as Mignola's. The library edition is big and bold, top quality. Although the stories are really good and I enjoyed it, this second volume is the one where I started to think I would stop buying these (for now).
Orrin Grey
Jun 27, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, mignola, favorites
I'm just going through and tagging the Library Editions, which are the best possible way to read these comics, and also look great on your bookshelf.

Much as I love the big mini-series Hellboy stories, Hellboy shines the most in the short form, I think, and these stories are some of my favorites.
Aaron
Nov 12, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing
A thousand stars for this one. The most interesting parts of Hellboy have always been the short stories. Mignola has a knack for taking folklore and turning it into witty, beautiful action, and condensing it into a few pages makes it hit all that much harder. I did not want to put this down.
Tom
Jul 06, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Again, the art is really great to let your eyes pour over. This collection has a lot of short vignettes and shorter stories. Often these provide some character backgrounds, but it also adds great variety to the mood. Some of the stories have an epic sweep, while others are lighthearted romps.
Russell Grant
Jul 29, 2011 Russell Grant rated it it was amazing
Another gorgeous book, this one I liked more then the first collection. this one is all short stories, and all of them are good, with a few of them being great. Mignola is playing with all types of themes, and the fun is reflected in the stories. You can't go wrong with this one.
Benjamin
Oct 08, 2009 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
I loved the presentation in this edition. Put together like an art book, with a solid library binding and huge pages, the print quality was probably far superior to the original publishing. Only problem was that the book was huge and weighed a ton so I couldn't read it on the train.
Justin
Aug 04, 2013 Justin rated it it was amazing
I am relatively new to the Hellboy series outside of the films. But the more I delve into Mike Mignola's world here I am finding that I cannot get enough. The stories are so great and so interesting. I love the artwork too!
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Five
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (The Dark Horse Book of..., #3)
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • Severed
  • Absolute Planetary Book One
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)