Start by marking “Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2: The Chained Coffin & The Right Hand of Doom and Others (Hellboy, #3-4)” as Want to Read:

Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2: The Chained Coffin & The Right Hand of Doom and Others (Hellboy #3-4)

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  715 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Since Mike Mignola's Hellboy first hit the stands in 1993, it has become a cultural sensation, racking up a dozen Eisner Awards and inspiring numerous spinoffs - from a novel line, to video games, to feature films. Now, Dark Horse is pleased to present the comics that started it all, collected in deluxe hardcover editions. Sized at a generous 9' x 12', and handsomely bound ...more
Library Binding, 327 pages
Published October 21st 2008 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2

Andrew
Hellboy is always a good time. This collection of Hellboy stories is wonderful to read. The book itself is pretty gorgeous, with its black velvety cover and the large page sizes. The Hellboy story is a lot of fun, and full of interesting satanic characters and religious references, such as Satan and other demonic presences, mixed in with a healthy dose of fantasy and horror genre heavyweights like Frankenstein.

I have little to crticise, besides the fact that I didn't feel I enjoyed this second
Kat Ritchie
This is an excellent book. I thought rather hard about what rating to give it. I would probably give it three and a half stars if I could, which is only a half star less than the rating I gave the first book, simply because I enjoy longer stories more than short stories. This book is a compilation of short stories, which do sort of explain the canon, but some of which sort of feel like "this is how Hellboy beat / beat up this monster".
I also enjoyed reading the afterword and the sketches, and r
Julie
Continuing on with Hellboy. It's slightly disconcerting that they chose to order these Library Editions the way they did. Half the stories in this book belong between the two longer stories in volume 1. I was surprised at how much I liked some of the quick 2-5 pages shorts, though. There is a bunch of background getting filled in in this collection, at least on Hellboy; I wouldn't mind some more backstory about other members of his team, though. There's a Liz Sherman tale in here but it doesn't ...more
Felix
The beautiful design of the Library Edition I have already praised in my review of the first volume, so I'll skip it here. Suffice to say that this second volume comes up to the high standard set by its precursor including the magnificent sketchbook pages with commentary by Mignola.

Contentwise this volume combines two paperback editions, namely "The Chained Coffin" and "The Right Hand of Doom", both collecting several short stories that followed the longer story arcs of "Seed of Destruction" and
Brenton Nichol
There's not a lot to be said here that I didn't already say in my review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) of Volume 1 of the Hellboy Library Editions: these cloth-bound, hardcover, oversized editions contain gorgeous, richly colored artwork, the forewards of the original trade paperbacks, an introduction and afterward by Hellboy editor Scott Allie and creator Mike Mignola, and bonus sections at the back with sketchbook pages and, often, the original cover artwork of some of the single ...more
Randy Lander
I meant to read just a few stories of this last night. It's all short stories, I figured there would be easy stopping points.

And there were. Plenty of them. This book contains a variety of short tales, a few of them containing key bits of info about Hellboy (including his origin, tidbits about his right hand, how he came to shoot out Baba Yaga's eye) but most of them just featuring Hellboy's adventures from the '50s on as he dealt with a variety of folklorical menaces.

But they are all so good th
Craig Sieracki
This is one of my favorite comic series of all-time and these editions are excellent. Volume 2 is a collection of shorter stories and avoid the giant story arcs that Volume 1 possessed. I enjoyed these stories as they present Hellboy as more of a wandering occult investigator as opposed to Government Agent. The art style is incredible and the writing is fantastic. The Library editions are a wonderful addition that put fantastic stories on my bookshelf as opposed to in a cardboard box.
Jason
this collection pales a bit in comparison to the first volume...these shorter pieces just don't pack the punch the longer stories in the initial volume were able to deliver...
the edition is just beautiful though, and any fan of folklore based fantasy will still enjoy this book...
and mignola's artwork still floors me...it's so incredibly original and arresting, and so fitted to the tone of the material...
his figure work and portraits are very simplistic, almost crude, like slightly advanced cave
Brooke
Out of all of the Hellboy library editions, this one is my favorite. It still amazes me how Mike Mignola sets the tone with is art and his use of panels. Reading this collection, it's easy to see that he does his research to create a feeling of something dark, cultural, and very real just under the surface of our understanding.
Kyle Burley
Just gorgeous. Hellboy is one of my all time top-ten comics, combining Lovecraftian horror, folklore and fairy tales, Gothic melodrama, pulp adventure, Jack Kirby style super-hero action and one of the great monster/hero protagonists in popular literature.
This volume features, primarily, shorter Hellboy stories, including two of my favourites, "The Corpse" and "The Wolves of St. August".
Charlene
it was obligated to do a re-capping of the Hellboy series; this volume contains the best of Mignola's work; "Pancakes", "The Corpse" and "The Wolves of St. August."
Ian
The library editions are some of the best compilations out there. Beautiful books that fit the Mignola art and storytelling style. This particular volume has some of my favorite Hellboy stories such as the Coffin and the Right Hand of Doom. Must have for Hellboy fans.
Deodand
This was terrific. "The Corpse" has to be the best comic I've read in years. Authors should look to Mignola's examples of how to do more with less.
Joe
Awesome collection of short stories, while advancing the "main" plotline of the series.
Francesco Zullo
Tanti racconti brevi che culminano in un paio di storie davvero interessanti. Mignola si conferma ancora una volta un grande autore, la sua capacità di sfruttare ambienti e temi horror strizzando l'occhio al thrilling ed al puro intrattenimento rendono molto piacevole anche una lettura "discontinua" come quella di un volume di stroie brevi, come questo seconda Enciclopedia di Hellboy...in attesa del terzo!
Roger
Short stories based on old legends of monsters and demons. The art and use of color are great and instantly recognizable as Mignola's. The library edition is big and bold, top quality. Although the stories are really good and I enjoyed it, this second volume is the one where I started to think I would stop buying these (for now).
Orrin Grey
I'm just going through and tagging the Library Editions, which are the best possible way to read these comics, and also look great on your bookshelf.

Much as I love the big mini-series Hellboy stories, Hellboy shines the most in the short form, I think, and these stories are some of my favorites.
Aaron
A thousand stars for this one. The most interesting parts of Hellboy have always been the short stories. Mignola has a knack for taking folklore and turning it into witty, beautiful action, and condensing it into a few pages makes it hit all that much harder. I did not want to put this down.
Tom
Jul 06, 2011 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Again, the art is really great to let your eyes pour over. This collection has a lot of short vignettes and shorter stories. Often these provide some character backgrounds, but it also adds great variety to the mood. Some of the stories have an epic sweep, while others are lighthearted romps.
Russell Grant
Another gorgeous book, this one I liked more then the first collection. this one is all short stories, and all of them are good, with a few of them being great. Mignola is playing with all types of themes, and the fun is reflected in the stories. You can't go wrong with this one.
Benjamin
I loved the presentation in this edition. Put together like an art book, with a solid library binding and huge pages, the print quality was probably far superior to the original publishing. Only problem was that the book was huge and weighed a ton so I couldn't read it on the train.
Justin
I am relatively new to the Hellboy series outside of the films. But the more I delve into Mike Mignola's world here I am finding that I cannot get enough. The stories are so great and so interesting. I love the artwork too!
Grant Gregory
Awesome, first Hellboy I ever read and I was blown away. Both art and story are original. I absolutely love it. Thank goodness the public library has a bunch more.
Nicolo Yu
The best way to read Mignola's Hellboy are in the short atories that are collected in massive tome. More of the goodness the previous Library Edition offered but better.
Brian
Combining two collections of short stories, this is some of the best Hellboy stuff out there. Really good and the art is still fantastic.
Joe
This volume has the 3 best and funniest Hellboy comics included. Pancakes, The Corpse and Box Full of Evil. Absolutely delightful.
J.
Excellent! I love this series. Particularly in this book, the Corpse, Pancakes, Box Full of Evil, and Almost Colossus.
Brian
A bunch of very short stories with little dialog and good art. Nothing very involved and only hits of a larger story arch. Fun.
Zachariah Carlson
I love the sketches in the back of these volumes. The path from an idea to its implementation is so convoluted.
Chris
Not as good as Volume One unfortunately. Dont think I'd by the third one. The stories were too short for me.
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Five
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings (The Dark Horse Book of..., #1)
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • X-Statix Omnibus
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)