Start by marking “Supermob: How Sidney Korshak and His Criminal Associates Became America's Hidden Power Brokers” as Want to Read:

The widely praised and meticulously researched book that reveals the story of how, for fifty years, superlawyer Sidney Korshak and the nefarious Chicago Outfit pulled the strings of American business, politics, and society.

Investigative reporter Gus Russo returns with his most explosive book yet, the remarkable story of the "Supermob"--a cadre of men who, over the course
Published September 4th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA (first published September 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Supermob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supermob

Johnny
May 22, 2012 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
Supermob: How Sidney Korshak and His Criminal Associates Became America’s Hidden Power Brokers (Supermob) is a massive tome that offers a perfect blend of “Yep! Knew that!” mixed with “Hmm! Always suspected that!” and “Whoa! Never knew that!” It has that potpourri of familiarity and surprise that I always wanted to engender as first editor and publisher of national magazines. It is a well-written cocktail of elements that intrigue me (for some of which I rebuke myself as though I were watching a ...more
Erik Graff
Jul 10, 2014 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: US citizens
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
Most of the material I've read about the Mob (aka 'The Outfit') has been in connection to the CIA and its nefarious dealings with the underworld. Consequently, I was a bit in doubt about buying this rather large book up in Evanston. Still, it promised to focus on Chicago and on the Korshaks, one of whom, Marshall, was a prominent politician in Illinois for most of my life. Also, the index revealed a lot of material about Allen Dorfman, the Mob attorney who was murdered in the parking lot of the ...more
Harold
Jul 24, 2011 Harold rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this book because I knew some of the people involved vaguely, and I was interested in the relationship between the Mob and the Entertainment business. Korshak was an icon in the entertainment business when I first started, but I didn't really know why. I still don't. Unfortunately, this is the first book in years I haven't finished. I am still interested in the subject. But this is a disorganized, barely readable collection of paragraphs in desperate search of an editor.
Larry Kucharik
Sep 02, 2012 Larry Kucharik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Nicely done book about the life,times and connections of Sidney Korshak. Mob influence and connections to Chicago, LosAngeles and the movie business.....if you like Chicago mob books it is a must read!
Andrew Tollemache
Nov 10, 2013 Andrew Tollemache rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Film industry legend Robert Evans referred to Sid Korshak as "The Myth" since he was such a pivotal figure in US industry, labor relations, organized crime, politics and the film industry. Korshak and Lew Wasserman were key players in the rise of people like Ronald Reagan and Frank Sinatra, yet Korshak is unknown to the vast majority of Americans. Asides from a smattering of press in the mid-1970s, long after Korhak had peaked in influence, very little has been written. Gus Russo attempts to fi ...more
Dave Eisenstark
Sep 26, 2016 Dave Eisenstark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-documented tale of post-war American history, which, by the way, will make you sick. It's the story of power, influence, money, the mob (not that one, the REAL one) and their dominance over American business, particularly Hollywood and Vegas, and by-the-way, labor unions, manufacturing industries, states, cities, and the nation. Yeah, I hate conspiracy theories, too, but every once in awhile you get slapped with the real deal and it hurts. This is that. The book is tough to get through, and ...more
Joel
Nov 04, 2015 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're from Chicago or Los Angeles or are intrigued by the origins of Las Vegas, you will enjoy this occasionally over-detailed book. The original lawyer-without-an-office who predates Mickey Haller is Sidney Korshak, and his all-American rise to power is stunning. Ronald Reagan is prominently featured as a union president who sells his soul and sells out his union to revive his career. Lots of shockers.
Bob
Dec 26, 2007 Bob rated it really liked it
I read this at the office over several months at the office over as professional reading. It is a well researched expose of a group of Chicago lawyers of Russian Jewish ethnicity who represented mob figures eventually moving west and becoming involved Las Vegas gambling and California Politics. There were some interesting revelations about Ronald Reagan.
Lori
Oct 21, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this so fascinating. Especially since I'm actually related to Sidney. Closely, LOL. They're making a movie about this, too. Should be interesting.

This is a very detailed look at how the mob really controlled almost everything in America. And gave me a very cool look at my family history in the first several chapters as well.
Adrienne
May 02, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
horrified
Marc Spiegel
Jan 02, 2014 Marc Spiegel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood and Politics will never be the same
Steve Coscia
Sep 10, 2014 Steve Coscia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to read this book for a while. Once I started, I couldn't put it down.

After reading this, I have only two words for us middle-class Americans: we're screwed.
Michael S.
Dec 05, 2010 Michael S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Among other things, this is one of the most enlightening Chicago histories one can ever read.
Scott Finley
Aug 04, 2011 Scott Finley rated it liked it
I felt much more favorably toward's Russo's book "The Outfit". A little too much innuendo in this one for my taste.
Nick
Jul 11, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Another impressively researched book by Gus Russo. Supermob details the exploits of the lawyers that bridged the gap between the Outfit and legitimate business.
Ken Dunbar
Ken Dunbar rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2017
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2017
Kevin Kernan
Kevin Kernan rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2017
Dina
Dina rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Alan Senauke
Alan Senauke rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2016
Jeremiah
Jeremiah rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2008
Tori Isner
Tori Isner rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
May 07, 2008
Susan Kenyon
Susan Kenyon rated it liked it
May 12, 2017
Eric Stone
Eric Stone rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Frederick W Otterbein
Frederick W Otterbein rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2016
Gina B
Gina B rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Dennis Osborne
A better rating is 3 1/2. It's a fascinating account that ties in a group of mainly Jewish lawyers with their ties with the mob in Chicago and the resulting influence they had mainly in California and Las Vegas and specifically with the entertainment industry. The main influence peddler was Sidney Korshak who operated in the background and earned the moniker " the fixer".While a fascinating account it jumps around and it's difficult at times to keep all the characters straight.
Very interesting i
James
Oct 05, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a 5-star story, but this book is 3 stars at best. It desperate needed an editor and there's no evidence that one read this book before it published. It's written in the style of a tabloid newspaper gossip column, or a 1920s movie newsreel. It's got its fair share of factual errors, such as the names of Chicago buildings and neighborhoods. This could have been a fascinating book, but instead I struggled to get to the end.
Michael
Feb 10, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Significant insights into the history of california, las vegas and labor.
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2007
Monis Rose
Monis Rose rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2007
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2008
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
May 13, 2008
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 20, 2008
Josh
Josh is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2008
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2008
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2009
Walt
Walt marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2009
Kevincib
Kevincib is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2009
James
James added it
Mar 05, 2009
Shandra
Shandra marked it as to-read
May 02, 2009
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2009
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2009
Theo2745
Theo2745 rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Christago
Christago marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2009
Dave Gochenaur
Dave Gochenaur marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2009
Tola Cream
Tola Cream marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2009
Smoot
Smoot rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2009
Jamesehausler
Jamesehausler rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2010
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2010
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2010
Agrippa
Agrippa rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • When Corruption Was King: How I Helped the Mob Rule Chicago, Then Brought the Outfit Down
  • Mr. Capone
  • Red Mafiya:  How the Russian Mob Has Invaded America
  • Family Secrets: The Case That Crippled the Chicago Mob
  • Dillinger's Wild Ride: The Year That Made America's Public Enemy Number One
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • John Dillinger: The Life and Death of America's First Celebrity Criminal
  • Capone: The Man and the Era
  • Boss of Bosses: The FBI and Paul Castellano
  • Capone: The Life and World of Al Capone
  • The Gangs of Chicago: An Informal History of the Chicago Underworld
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • Murder, Inc.: The Story Of The Syndicate
  • Paddy Whacked: The Untold Story of the Irish American Gangster
  • American Pharaoh: Mayor Richard J. Daley - His Battle for Chicago and the Nation
  • Murder City: The Bloody History of Chicago in the Twenties
  • Red Heat: Conspiracy, Murder, and the Cold War in the Caribbean
  • The Valachi Papers (aka The Canary That Sang)

Gus Russo is a veteran investigative reporter, musician, and author. His first book, Live By the Sword: The Secret War Against Castro and the Death of JFK (Bancroft, 1998), was praised by the New York Times as “compelling, exhaustively researched and even handed.” Kirkus Reviews called Sword, “Probably the last book on the Kennedy assassination you will need to read....Gripping and convincing!” T
More about Gus Russo...