Start by marking “The Marvellous Land of Snergs” as Want to Read:
The Marvellous Land of Snergs

The Marvellous Land of Snergs

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  124 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Located somewhere in "a world apart," just beyond the reach of current navigational tools, lies the land of the Snergs, a haven for countless neglected children, all of whom are watched over by maternal women. Also inhabited by a sturdy race of generous people no taller than the average table, the realm is surrounded by a forest occupied by friendly bears.
Into this unusual
Published September 22nd 2006 by Dover Publications (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Marvellous Land of Snergs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marvellous Land of Snergs

Amy Sturgis
Aug 16, 2012 Amy Sturgis rated it liked it
I read this aloud for my little niece Kaitlyn, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is a delightful fantasy centered around the adventures of Joe and Sylvia (both removed from their abusive/neglectful homes by the benevolent Society for the Removal of Superfluous Children and relocated to a magical island) and their friend Gorbo, a Snerg, who finds through the course of the novel that he is far less a fool than he (and everyone else) thinks he is.

It features classics of the genre (an ogre, a witch,
Heather
Jun 04, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I found this book while browsing through a catalog. They had a quote from Tolkein that "this was his source book for the Hobbit" and that he'd read it to his own children. Okay, says me, we'll try it.

My kids loved this book. And my husband loved reading it to them. Every night I'd hear them laughing away and then they'd be talking about it the next day.

It has a very Tolkein/Narnia type feel to it and was just plain fun. The language is a bit difficult but not so much that they couldn't understan
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
El Maravilloso País de los Snergs es una historia de fantasía y aventuras llena de momentos absurdamente entretenidos que llamarán la atención a lectores de todas las edades.
Reseña completa EN MI BLOG
Dan Glover
Jun 05, 2013 Dan Glover rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children, humour
If P.G. Wodehouse had written a fairy tale for his grandchildren, I imagine it would have been something like this book. One pictures the author writing with a whiskey-and-soda at his elbow and his tongue in his cheek, likely when he was supposed to be doing something else, something responsible. This book is both very enjoyable and little known, which is too bad and which is why I wacked up the ginger to say tell you about it...yes, you.

This is a really fun book for those who love a good old f
Anne Gazzolo
Sep 11, 2016 Anne Gazzolo rated it it was ok
Another odd book from my children's literature class. Snergs themselves not bad. Liked the court jester the most of the humans.
Patrickderaaff
Een alleraardigst kinderboek uit 1928, dat als inspiratie diende voor J.R.R. Tolkien en J.K. Rowling (Tolkien spreekt zelfs zijn waardering voor het boek uit op de achterzijde en in het bijzonder voor de Snerg Gorbo). Het niveau van hun werk haalt het niet, maar de humoristische opmerkingen van de schrijver tijdens het verhaal maken het zeker de 'moeite' waard om Het Wonderbaarlijke Snergenland te lezen. Opmerkelijk: er komen Hollandse zeevaarders uit de 17e eeuw voor in het boek!
Brigitte
Feb 08, 2015 Brigitte rated it really liked it
nl: het wonderbaarlijke snergenland.
Het is een prima boek om voor te lezen. Een aanrader voor de bovenbouw van het PO.
De humor spreekt mij erg aan, zo ook de fantasie.
Het avontuur bestaat uit een reeks kleine avonturen waardoor het verhaal spannend blijft.
Ik zie waarom Tolkien geïnspireerd werd. Dit is De hobbit voor kinderen.
Slygly
Mar 03, 2008 Slygly rated it really liked it
The Marvellous Land of Snergs is a lost classic which was thought to be the inspiration for Tolkien's The Hobbit. One can definitely identify analogous events between the two works. More importantly, I felt the same uplifting spirit from both. Snergs may be enjoyed as simply a fairy tale but may also be appreciated as a philosophical character-building adventure.
Eric
Jan 26, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
A entertaining story in the vein of the Chronicles of Narnia. The story follows to children in their adventures int he Land of Snergs (kind of a cross between Dwarves and Goblins) and beyond. The characters are entertaining and some moral lessons are present. How ever the story doesn't seem to have a specific direction and bounces from unrelated adventure to unrelated adventure.
Alan Cornett
Feb 02, 2014 Alan Cornett rated it it was amazing
A sweet, but witty, story that my three daughters loved. Elements from the Snergs certainly inspired Tolkien and Lewis. The writing style prefigures Lemony Snicket in some ways. Recommended for imaginative lovers of fantasy and fairy tales.
Ryan Joy
Jan 01, 2013 Ryan Joy rated it liked it
I'll keep this book, but it will be many years before I ever pick it up again. Although I don't find it particularly engaging, I do appreciate the overall humor and plentiful silliness. If I had a bookshelf titled keep for my children, I would put this on it.
Ben
Mar 21, 2007 Ben rated it liked it
I came to this book through annotations in the Annotated Hobbit. One can, indeed, see the similarities between Wyke-Smith and early Tolkien. A fun little book that is enjoyable for its nostalgiac feel as well as the story itself and the fairy-tale sense of play it evokes.
Kelly
Dec 16, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: tolkien-source
I read this out of interest because it's a source book for Tolkien's "The Hobbit". I suppose I was meant to find this a charming and silly children's adventure, but for me it was a slogfest. Forgive me Tolkien!
Mawgojzeta
A delightful fantasy tale. I gave it 5 stars not only due to my own enjoyment, but because I could see myself reading this book to my son at bedtime (if I had discovered it sooner; he is 18 now).
Curtis
Dec 02, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
forgotten classic
Jennifer Busick
Feb 03, 2014 Jennifer Busick rated it liked it
Funny and sweet, if somewhat meandering.
Jack
Jan 01, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-read
It's a children's book, but an amusing and classic one.
Billy
May 16, 2013 Billy rated it it was amazing
A very merry story about the adventures of two children, it filled me with smiles and I would love to befriend the jester!
Lily
Nov 30, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fiction
This is a fun book
Evamarie
Jun 08, 2008 Evamarie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves fantasy
Recommended to Evamarie by: Heather (through Goodreads)
I loved this book I can't beleive I never heard about it until I joined GoodReads.
Evelyn
Jan 19, 2015 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Main snerg Gorbo and the Jester Baldry were a real hoot! Cute book.
Chris Griffith
Feb 21, 2013 Chris Griffith rated it really liked it
Ogres, witches, Dutchmen soldiers, and Snergs. Lots of adventure here. This book was apparently a favorite of the Tolkien family and after reading it with my 9-year old I can see why!
Luisa Mayer
Aug 19, 2012 Luisa Mayer rated it really liked it
This is a very funny book! I've been thinking of the book as a Tolkien favorite and was not expecting the humor, although I should have known better - his gaggle of children really enjoyed it.
Chad
Jun 19, 2015 Chad rated it really liked it
An excellent children's read. A tale that unites all the conventional elements of faiere yet in a unique and delightful way.
James B.
Dec 25, 2013 James B. rated it really liked it
A fun and occasionally very funny fairy tale.
Sue Ellen
Dec 16, 2011 Sue Ellen rated it it was amazing
I read this in preparation for teaching The Hobbit, as this book is one of Tolkien's influences. I found it delightful and charming.
Anneke
Anneke rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Addopluvia
Addopluvia rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • Finn and Hengest: The Fragment and the Episode
  • The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • Poetic Diction: A Study in Meaning
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • Return to Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5-6)
  • Sir Gibbie (Sir Gibbie, #1)
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
  • I Saw Three Ships