Start by marking “The Marvellous Land of Snergs” as Want to Read:
The Marvellous Land of Snergs

The Marvellous Land of Snergs

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Located somewhere in "a world apart," just beyond the reach of current navigational tools, lies the land of the Snergs, a haven for countless neglected children, all of whom are watched over by maternal women. Also inhabited by a sturdy race of generous people no taller than the average table, the realm is surrounded by a forest occupied by friendly bears.
Into this unusual
Published September 22nd 2006 by Dover Publications (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Marvellous Land of Snergs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marvellous Land of Snergs

Amy Sturgis
I read this aloud for my little niece Kaitlyn, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is a delightful fantasy centered around the adventures of Joe and Sylvia (both removed from their abusive/neglectful homes by the benevolent Society for the Removal of Superfluous Children and relocated to a magical island) and their friend Gorbo, a Snerg, who finds through the course of the novel that he is far less a fool than he (and everyone else) thinks he is.

It features classics of the genre (an ogre, a witch,
Heather
I found this book while browsing through a catalog. They had a quote from Tolkein that "this was his source book for the Hobbit" and that he'd read it to his own children. Okay, says me, we'll try it.

My kids loved this book. And my husband loved reading it to them. Every night I'd hear them laughing away and then they'd be talking about it the next day.

It has a very Tolkein/Narnia type feel to it and was just plain fun. The language is a bit difficult but not so much that they couldn't understan
Dan Glover
This is a really fun book for those who love a good old fashioned fairy story (at least one that doesn't take itself too seriously). This story shares some responsibility for inspiring J.R.R. Tolkien's creation of hobbits and their adventures. Tolkien said, "I should like to record my own love and my children's love of E. A. Wyke-Smith's "Marvellous Land of Snergs", at any rate of the snerg-element of that tale, and of Gorbo the gem of dunderheads, jewel of a companion in an escapade." The Snerg ...more
Brigitte
nl: het wonderbaarlijke snergenland.
Het is een prima boek om voor te lezen. Een aanrader voor de bovenbouw van het PO.
De humor spreekt mij erg aan, zo ook de fantasie.
Het avontuur bestaat uit een reeks kleine avonturen waardoor het verhaal spannend blijft.
Ik zie waarom Tolkien geïnspireerd werd. Dit is De hobbit voor kinderen.
Alan Cornett
A sweet, but witty, story that my three daughters loved. Elements from the Snergs certainly inspired Tolkien and Lewis. The writing style prefigures Lemony Snicket in some ways. Recommended for imaginative lovers of fantasy and fairy tales.
Curtis
A fun romp.
Evelyn
Main snerg Gorbo and the Jester Baldry were a real hoot! Cute book.
Eric
A entertaining story in the vein of the Chronicles of Narnia. The story follows to children in their adventures int he Land of Snergs (kind of a cross between Dwarves and Goblins) and beyond. The characters are entertaining and some moral lessons are present. How ever the story doesn't seem to have a specific direction and bounces from unrelated adventure to unrelated adventure.
Slygly
The Marvellous Land of Snergs is a lost classic which was thought to be the inspiration for Tolkien's The Hobbit. One can definitely identify analogous events between the two works. More importantly, I felt the same uplifting spirit from both. Snergs may be enjoyed as simply a fairy tale but may also be appreciated as a philosophical character-building adventure.
Ben
I came to this book through annotations in the Annotated Hobbit. One can, indeed, see the similarities between Wyke-Smith and early Tolkien. A fun little book that is enjoyable for its nostalgiac feel as well as the story itself and the fairy-tale sense of play it evokes.
Ryan Joy
I'll keep this book, but it will be many years before I ever pick it up again. Although I don't find it particularly engaging, I do appreciate the overall humor and plentiful silliness. If I had a bookshelf titled keep for my children, I would put this on it.
Luisa Mayer
This is a very funny book! I've been thinking of the book as a Tolkien favorite and was not expecting the humor, although I should have known better - his gaggle of children really enjoyed it.
Mawgojzeta
A delightful fantasy tale. I gave it 5 stars not only due to my own enjoyment, but because I could see myself reading this book to my son at bedtime (if I had discovered it sooner; he is 18 now).
Chris Griffith
Ogres, witches, Dutchmen soldiers, and Snergs. Lots of adventure here. This book was apparently a favorite of the Tolkien family and after reading it with my 9-year old I can see why!
Sue Ellen
I read this in preparation for teaching The Hobbit, as this book is one of Tolkien's influences. I found it delightful and charming.
Billy
A very merry story about the adventures of two children, it filled me with smiles and I would love to befriend the jester!
James B.
A fun and occasionally very funny fairy tale.
Evamarie
Oct 23, 2008 Evamarie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves fantasy
Recommended to Evamarie by: Heather (through Goodreads)
I loved this book I can't beleive I never heard about it until I joined GoodReads.
Jack
It's a children's book, but an amusing and classic one.
Jennifer Busick
Funny and sweet, if somewhat meandering.
Lily
This is a fun book
David
forgotten classic
Caroline Berg
Caroline Berg marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Joshua Redlich
Joshua Redlich marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Kyrylys
Kyrylys marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The House of the Wolfings
  • Finn and Hengest: The Fragment and the Episode
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • Poetic Diction: A Study in Meaning
  • Return to Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5-6)
  • The Worm Ouroboros
  • Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
  • In the Land of Time: And Other Fantasy Tales
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • Majestrum: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn (Book 1)
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Saga of the Volsungs
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • The Company They Keep: C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • Something Fishy
  • Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1)