Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human

Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human (Ultimate Marvel)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  29 reviews
It's the Ultimate war between the Hulk and Iron Man! Desperate for a cure to his dark disease, scientist Bruce Banner begs Tony Stark for a release from the curse of the Hulk! Stark agrees, but in the midst of the experimentation, something goes horribly wrong. And you know what happens next: man and monster collide!
Hardcover, Premiere Edition Hardcover, 104 pages
Published May 28th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man

StoryTellerShannon
Banner needs help but Stark cannot help him, only talk useless jargon.

HULK SMASH!!!

Eventually, the main attraction comes about: Iron Man and the Hulk go at it.

HULK SMASH!!!

What more do you need to know?

HULK SMASH!!!

Written by Warren Ellis and illustrations by Cary Nord. His artwork is arguably the biggest attraction to this fun yet very light piece.

CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B minus; STORY/PLOTTING/EDITING: B minus;
ARTISTIC PRESENTATION: B to B plus; ACTION SCENES: B minus to B;
WHEN READ: end of Jan
Dan Magaha
Not bad, but not really up to Ellis' standards, though this may not be fair considering his Extremis arc is basically the definitive modern take on Iron Man and much of the bible for the film franchise juggernaut.

It's the same Downeyesque Tony Stark here, but the focus of the story is really on Bruce and the Hulk, and then Ellis pulls an Ellis and introduces a character he created years ago (Pete Wisdom) and rolls out a new backstory setting him up as the Ultimate universe's Leader (massive cran...more
Brad
Warren Ellis has the recipe down on these books. Mix some smart characters, a few big sci-fi ideas (here: nanotechnology and making soldiers that can fight on Venus), a lot of dialogue and a teensy bit of action. It reads quick and fun. It's worked for him ever since Stormwatch, and he doesn't deviate much from the formula. Hulk and Iron Man's fighting mostly make sense, and the new version of the Leader, using an old Ellis mainline Marvel character Pete Wisdom, is a menacing reminder that there...more
Mely
May have read in December, I forget. Anyway, this is another Ultimate Iron Man tale from Warren Ellis that starts off with compelling and intriguing character, moral, and plot questions and then ends up in bizarre WTF-is-that and WTF-does-that-have-to-do-with-any-of-these-issues pulp comics land. Bruce Banner comes to Tony Stark to beg the use of Stark's nanotech to inhibit the Hulk. Stark agrees to help, and there's some interesting and tense conversation between the two of them about directed...more
Joel Griswell
Hmm. This could have been much better, but ultimately flounders. Following in the "Ultimate" continuity (with Iron Man's funky nanite technology), this tale brings Bruce Banner to Tony Stark, seeking a cure to his disease. I was optimistic about this book, since it features two great characters, and also the whole "ultimate human" idea is quite interesting, pitting dull-headed monster against intelligent machine power. The book starts off well, with a establishing a good, well-written relationsh...more
Meghan
The Hulk is sad. I deduce this from the fact that he has taken to hulk out in somber grays instead of his more usual jolly green hue, and the fact that in human form he dresses like a homeless trucker and looks like a kicked puppy. (These are probably just Ultimate things, but whatever.)

The Hulk is sad because the Super Soldier serum made "dumb as a sack of hammers" Steve Rogers into some kind of tactical genius, whereas it reduces poor Bruce to something "with the IQ of a shoe". (Apparently, in...more
Sam Quixote
Warren Ellis' work is always fun to read and this short 4 issue run on two of Marvel's best loved heroes is no exception. The title says it all - Iron Man fights Hulk after a failed experiment to infect Banner/Hulk's blood with nanotech to control the Hulk genes. However the fight is short lived as another failed experiment - "the Leader" (a guy with a big head) - tries to take the blood of both Iron Man and Hulk and an entire issue is devoted to Leader's origin (very dull) followed by a swift a...more
Ryan
I really appreciate how Mark Millar's Ultimates tries to place the Avengers in a more international context (this is less prevalent in Jeph Loeb's and Joe Madureira's Ultimates 3 run, which is currently shaping into a complete fucking disaster. Each issue is also consistently late. I mean, if you're going to fuck up, can you please do so on a regular schedule?).

In Ultimate Human, Ellis uses the Leader's origin to build up the political foundation Millar set with Ultimates. It's an interesting an...more
Ben Guilfoy
I guess I just didn't see the point of this story. It's very short, and not particularly dense. Too much of it involves people sitting down in offices having meetings and drinking coffee, while the cover teases a battle between Hulk and Iron Man that's over practically before it starts. There are some interesting ideas at work, and the dialog by Warren Ellis is fine... but the story itself is so short that almost nothing happens. The cover blurb promises "political intrigue" but this is limited...more
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 Sean rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one!
You ever read a book and wonder why? Why was this written? What was this book supposed to accomplish? Those are some of the questions I have after reading this trade by Warren Ellis and Cary Nord. Ellis has always been hit or miss for me. Brilliant one week, abysmal the next. Here, Ellis seems to just needed an excuse to add Pete Wisdom to the Ultimate Universe. Its not only unnecessary, its uninteresting. Add that to an awful reimagining of a classic Hulk villain and you have a strange read to...more
Sean Brennan
A fair story from Ellis, that I was glad to say did not devolve into a fight fest. between the pair of The Hulk and Iron Man, I particulary enjoyed the 3rd segment of the story which contained the history of The Leader.
MJ
I'm not sure what the general comic book geeks take on the reinvention of the Marvel Universe in the Ultimate series but I really like them - I loved Ultimate Iron Man vol 1 & 2, as well as the Spider-Man and X-men volumes I've read so far.

This book turned out to be just as satisfying although the story was a bit more abrupt (i.e., it sort of resolves everything in the last 2 pages of the final issue). The imaging of Bruce Banner as a real sad-sack works for me.
Jukka Kuva
It was bound to happen one day. Warren Ellis has written something bad. Ultimate Human deals with Bruce Banner who asks Tony Stark to help him get rid of Hulk. The characters are indifferent and flat, there's lots of boring and useless text especially in the third issue and the plot itself goes nowhere. To top it all Nord's artwork is pretty horrible.

This is now the first exception to the Ellis-is-worth-your-time rule. Don't bother.
Paul Mirek
Ellis's and Rucka's takes (the latter in his Queen and Country series) on the politics of British espionage mesh together so well. Of course, this book also has superheroes in it, but they're 21st-century, Marvel-movie-toned, so they're not too much of a stretch from the hard-boiled tone of men and women making the wrong decisions as they try to do the right thing. Also, Cary Nord is a true professional.
Kevin Izworski
Was OK, ended kind of abruptly. (view spoiler)
Mark
The Marvel Ultimate series restarts their most popular titles with a more modern perspective.

For this book Bruce Banner (Hulk) goes to Tony Stark (Iron Man) for help with his anger management.

Notes
Fans of the traditional Marvel story line may not care for Ultimate changes.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers.
Paul
Noah Soudrette
A wonderfully fun, humorous, and action packed little story that sees this summers two movie giants team up to fight ultimate Pete Wisdom... the Leader! Wacky, I know. Of course, this is by Warren Ellis, so it's great. Also, Cary Nord of Conan fame, provides so nice art.
catechism
I do love me some Warren Ellis but I could not possibly care less about Bruce Banner. I bought this mostly for the Tony Stark. Still, the plot kept me turning pages and reading instead of just turning them and looking for Tony, so it can't have sucked that bad.
Clay
Renata
I mean I don't know much about Hulk & Iron Man comics except they were my faves from the Avengers movie. Shit got real high tech here and Bruce Banner's face was literally a sad emoticon :( Anyway it was a pretty fun read.
April
It's worth knowing/mentioning that this takes place in the Ultimates 'verse originally created by Mark Millar so this isn't much like the movies or the larger series of comic books relating to each character.
K
Liked certain aspects about this (like the really great characterizations) but the majority of it just bored me. Which is sad to say about a Warren Ellis book but ultimately (no pun intended) true.
Shannon Appelcline
A nice story for the Ultimate universe, really showing off how the US, UK, and Europe super-programs co-exist. Nice characterization and a bit of humor too, but also a somewhat shallow story.
Brian
quick, but fun read....that even acknowledges a bit of the Orson Scott Card Iron Man I despise, yet it was fine here.
Ian
The first half is a ton of fun, the third issue is stagnant and irrelevant, and the fourth issue is an anti-climax, so.
Daniel
Not much to it beyond a big superhero punch-up, but it's a fun punch-up, so definitely worth a look.
Not Ellis' best work, but better than some of the books in the Ultimate verse.
Aarcanum Black
Aarcanum Black marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 20: And His Amazing Friends
  • Ultimate Comics X-Men, Volume 1
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman Volume 1
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories