Start by marking “Mad Money” as Want to Read:
Mad Money

Mad Money (Madeline Carter #1)

Published December 1st 2004 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Mad Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Money

Julie
Jan 28, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Julie by: Seattle Times
Good book...nothing outstanding, but a good bus book. I will read more by this author.
Jan Strnad
Nov 29, 2011 Jan Strnad rated it liked it
Mad Money is the first book in a series about amateur detective Madeline Carter.

Due to a brutal murder at her NY brokerage firm, Carter retires to Los Angeles, takes up residence in a cliffside apartment in Malibu owned by a movie director, and settles in for some day trading. Acting on a bit of inside information, she invests most of her money in a "sure thing" that quickly unravels and sends her scurrying for answers about her past life and current life choices.

It's an easy read that kept me i
Crys Wood
Nov 26, 2011 Crys Wood rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I dunno. This was a moderately fun and interesting read...i mean, i stayed up all night to finish it. But there were a lot of disconnects with last minute tie-ups and tie-ins.

And stuff that didn't make sense, like the immediate (near instant) close relationships among these people, and how Carter felt information was urgent enough to drive around and risk her life for, but not worth busting out her cell phone (or even finding a pay phone) to immediately tell someone the info once she had it.

Lika
Heidi
Sep 09, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
(Interesting note: This author is the mother of Seinfeld's Kramer.) I really enjoyed this novel. For me, some books I rush through either because; 1) They are so bad I want to get it over with or 2) They are so good that I race to the finish to see how it ends. Other books I read at a slower rate, either because; 1) I get interrupted over time and keep having to stop, then reread to refresh your memory before moving on, or 2) It is so boring and tedious that it is a chore to get through. ...more
Jim
Apr 11, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
Do you like em dashes? So many that they become irritating for the normal reading! You'll enjoy this. Now, getting past my sarcasm here, the book was generally enjoyable to read, despite all the em dashes.

So there's a murder early on and turns out, other than an emotional tool, this was not the murder we are to care about--that comes later. And that murder was not the center of the book, it was a missing person mystery, which is fine.

Another bad thing I'll say is I felt like half the story was i
Nancy
Jan 01, 2013 Nancy added it
After witnessing a brutal crime, Madeleine Carter escapes her high-velocity New York City life for the laid-back atmosphere of Los Angeles. One night she runs into an old boyfriend, now a high-powered CEO, who lets her in on a great investment opportunity. But soon she discovers that the stock is tumbling, taking her money with it--and her ex is nowhere to be found. Compelled to get to the bottom of the disappearance, Madeleine turns amateur sleuth and discovers that she is the only person with ...more
Joan
Aug 11, 2013 Joan rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The story was pretty good but had a slow start. I was at least 1/3 of the way into the book before there was any suspense or much of a story beyond "woman quits job in NY and moves to LA to start over." The actions Madeline took as a beginning day trader were pretty unbelievable too and did not seem to fit with her identity as a smart broker. Once the action picked up the book got much better. I enjoyed the secondary characters a lot, and Madeline's amateur sleuthing was really entertaining. ...more
Sher Ling
Apr 13, 2012 Sher Ling rated it it was ok
I got this book for free as part of an amazon subscription. I'm halfway through but probably won't keep reading to the end. The dialogue in the book feels forced, and different characters speak too similarly. The writing is easy to read, but the pace drags at times. As another reviewer noted: more editing and cutting could have salvaged this read.
Marti
May 31, 2010 Marti rated it liked it
This was a rather outrageous story. My favorite character was Tycho, the dog, who didn't even belong to the main character Madeline Carter, former stock broker, who lives in the guest house of a family in LA. She gets mixed up in the kidnapping of both a former boyfriend, and her landlord's teenage daughter, getting friendly with a woman private investigator who is following her. Very strange!
Marguerite Czajka
Feb 09, 2014 Marguerite Czajka rated it liked it
This book started slow for me. The descriptions of how trading worked bored me and I skimmed them. But it picked up near the end. I read it on my Kindle and I was at 70%, then the next thing I knew I was at 96%! I actually went back to make sure I didn't somehow miss a chapter. So it approved enough that I'll check out the next ones.
Renee
Dec 12, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it
I good book, fast read, but something was loose and not tied up in the end. If I was Jack's wife I dont know if I could be friends with Madeline, but stranger things went on. Good outlook on the stock market
Jack
Apr 21, 2013 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated, if somewhat over-imaginative thriller about a New York stockbroker who, having moved west to start a new life, gets embroiled in a mystery involving a former boyfriend.
Heather
May 27, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: free/cheap download
Particularly good for something I got as a free/cheap download--I've since given up on those, but had downloaded this a while ago.
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Cathie
Cathie rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2013
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Adam T Page
Adam T Page rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Bonny Christian
Bonny Christian rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Mary Sieczkowski
Mary Sieczkowski rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Annie Carlisle
Annie Carlisle rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
WILLIAM N. JAROSZ
WILLIAM N. JAROSZ rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2014
Charlotte Bidstrup
Charlotte Bidstrup rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
  • House Report
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • Pooh Bridge
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • The Paper Doll Museum
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Muffin Man
  • Kane
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Sudden Death
  • Hot Chocolate
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Coral Sea Affair (Ben Hood Thriller, #1)
  • Falling Uphill

Madeline Carter (3 books)
  • The Next Ex