Start by marking “Please, Baby, Please” as Want to Read:
Please, Baby, Please

Please, Baby, Please

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Go back to bed,
baby please, baby, please.

Not on your HEAD,
baby baby baby, please!

Academy-Award nominated filmmaker Spike Lee and his wife, producer Tonya Lewis Lee, preset a behind-the-scenes look at the chills, spills, and unequivocal thrills of bringing up baby!

Vivid illustrations from celebrated artist Kadir Nelson evoke toddlerhood from sandbox to high chair to c
Published April 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Please, Baby, Please, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please, Baby, Please

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanA Chair for My Mother by Vera B. WilliamsPlease, Baby, Please by Spike Lee
African American Picture Books
5th out of 290 books — 91 voters
Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineEllington Was Not a Street by Ntozake ShangePlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeMoses by Carole Boston WeatherfordDancing in the Wings by Debbie Allen
Best of Kadir Nelson
3rd out of 43 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
May 11, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Please, readers, please! Choose this book if you are a fan of Kadir Nelson's work. And if you haven't ever encountered his work, please begin. The illustrations are so wonderful! I just love the baby's expression on the front cover. This is one beautiful, spirited baby! The text is just fine, I really enjoyed the variations on the "please, baby" refrain and felt exhausted just reading about the baby's antics as each hour in the day passes. Whew! But the illustrations are the star.

One thing I wo
Mushi
Oct 11, 2011 Mushi rated it really liked it
This book, now in its third month in pre-bedtime reading, still manages to entertain.
Kristen
This reminded me a lot of No David. And I've had plenty of parents tell me how much they hate that book, so I feel like people who hate No, David! might also dislike this one. I, however, like the idea of behind books like this--that even though toddlers hear a lot of "no's" throughout the day, there parents still love them. I do wish that the toddler had called to both Mommy and Daddy in the end (it's really a bummer when daddies get left out of picture books all the time--whenever I try to rea ...more
Julie
Jan 17, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story with good rhythm. Works well with a group. Everyone seems to like the diaper in the toy box page. Reading one-on-one, you can see the clock on each page showing when things happen in Baby's day.
Autumn
Jul 17, 2015 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bam-bam-1000kb4k
My 20 month old son selected this book by himself in the library. As soon as I saw it I knew exactly what is was going to be about just by looking at the wry smile on the little girl's face on the cover - a cheeky little toddler just like him! We've read it a couple times in the last few nights and we both LOVE IT! First off, the illustrations are very very detailed, beautiful and hilarious. It was shocking how closely the events of this little girl's day match our own! The text is pretty simple ...more
Cara Byrne
Jan 28, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
As the title suggests, the authors love repeating the words "please" and "baby" (in different order and in different amounts) on each page - which captivated Lu's attention and made her excited to read more. For me, the text wasn't as imaginative with its sometimes seemingly forced rhyme scheme (for instance "Keep off the wall, baby baby, please, baby/You share that ball, please, baby baby baby."). Another celebrity-composed picture book that lacks the depth of other works for kids.

And, althoug
Hend Alalwani
Age Rang:1-2
Personal reaction:
-There are some parts I like in this book, but mostly I do not like it. I do not like it because it shows that the mother do all the work alone with out the father. Also, I do not like how in the end the child just asked for a kiss from the mother and not the father. Also, the language is simple and the children do not gain new vocabulary.
On the other hand, I like about this book that the author used the words “baby and please” in different orders in the story. Also
Kelly Grimes
May 08, 2015 Kelly Grimes rated it really liked it
1. Personal reaction- I really enjoyed this book because it is a very simple and direct beginning to read book. I really enjoyed the book especially because of the illustrations. The illustrations cover the pages, taking me through the adventures of the baby. I also enjoyed this book because the vocabulary throughout the book is so simple that it lets the readers know right from the beginning some of the little troubles babies get into everyday, including drawing all over the place, being messy ...more
KidsLit Book Club
Dec 11, 2015 KidsLit Book Club rated it it was ok
The illustrations are fantastic, and the pages are true to life - a mischievous little toddler doing all those things toddlers like to do. BUT... the story - every page - is the adults telling the toddler various forms of "no." The mom puts the baby to bed, then the baby comes to the parents' room and asks for a kiss. So sad. :( I am teaching a class on board books to preschool teachers tomorrow, and this is going to be featured in that presentation as a bad example, which is sad, because there ...more
Tionna Parker
Feb 24, 2015 Tionna Parker rated it really liked it
This is another book that I enjoyed reading because it reminded me of the time when my daughter was that age and anything from breakfast to nap time to bed time and everything in between was a battle and all I could say was "please, baby, please". The book had some eye catching illustrations as well as a great story line to match. There was a little rhyming within this story which is great for young children. The main topic that made me fall in love with this book is the fact that it is somethin ...more
La'bria Hannah
In this story, the text is of a rhyming and poetic nature that allows for some repetition and makes the story appropriate for even some of the lower levels of reading in elementary school. Written by Spike Lee and his wife, the speech in the story have a cultural appropriation and is very genuine. Being written by people of this cultural group, there are no negative stereotypes indicated in the story. The illustrations in this book are incredibly realistic, and I especially appreciate the expres ...more
Kris Brown
Oct 10, 2013 Kris Brown rated it really liked it
Please, Baby, Please is a children’s picturebook written by Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee. Kadir Nelson is the illustrator. This board book is intended to be read by the Nursery age group. No awards were issued. I rated this book as a five.

Please, Baby, Please is about an African American toddler, who keeps her mother busy throughout the day. The plot is simple and focuses on the two characters, the toddler and the mother. The setting moves around throughout the day as the toddler goes from brea
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Genre: PB5

I think this is a brilliant story!!! The story is so real that I can feel the moms frustrated "please" coming out of her mouth!! I enjoyed the great illustrations that went along with the story and helped bring the story to life. Each page of the story has a clock on it with the time of day shown and I feel that is a great way to put into perspective the moments in the life of a parent and a child. I relate well to the clock on each page; as a parent we are always looking for more time
Shel
Sep 07, 2009 Shel rated it liked it
Lee, S., & Lee, T.L. (2002). Please, Baby, Please. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

As with No David and Love You When You Whine, Please, Baby, Please shares a parents' frustration of trying to get a child to behave. As can be discerned by the title, Please, Baby, Please is a rather polite version of asking a child to eat their veggies, go to sleep, not draw on the wall, etc. set within a one-day period. This book does include the child's voice as well at the
Don Tucker
Jun 12, 2013 Don Tucker rated it liked it
Julie
Mar 23, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
In "Please, Baby, Please", we find a rambunctious baby engaging in the everyday mischief of a growing child. From the head full of Cheerios to the mouthful of sand to the baby’s insistence on making a used diaper part of the toy collection, the book does a great job of showing the curiosity and exploration of a child in their daily activities. The details in the illustrations vividly reflect the range of emotions and mischief that is being conveyed by the parent’s tired narrative voice. However, ...more
Matthew
Very simple text with outstanding illustrations. There's one with a bare-bottomed child though, so preview this book before sharing with kids, because you want to be ready. The basic outline is a number of situations that every parent encounters with every toddler and an irregular pattern of baby and please mixed in after. The text didn't grab me here, but the illustrations are Kadir Nelson classics, so that is a great pleasure.
Jane Sanchez
Feb 23, 2015 Jane Sanchez rated it it was amazing
This book Is a good teaching book you can read to children. The book is a good example of children having good manners. I give this book a five star because it shows how children act but also the right way parents should talk to their children. This book is a very short book but provides a very good message with great colored images.
Dewey
Apr 18, 2016 Dewey rated it it was ok
Shelves: st-unsorted
I thought this book did a good job of capturing some of the more frustrating aspects of parenting while also including at the end how sweet the payoff can be. That being said, I don't think I would use it in a storytime...it seems more like a book that parents can appreciate, less like a story that would captivate young kids.
Margie
May 16, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any parent will identify with the requests made by these parents in pleading with their daughter to eat, play, sleep etc at the appropriate times and ways; this baby wants to explore and do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. Sound familiar? The illustrations are terrific.
Raevin Jones
This book was very cute. It teaches children the use of manners and using the word please. The pictures are simple but cute and children enjoy them and find them amusing. This is a very great book on how children should be acting and what they shouldn't do.
Ruby
Feb 13, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-choices
This is a great book for 1 or 2 year olds because of the repetition. As an educator, you can ask children why the mommy does not want baby to do the things she does. It might help them to understand the right choices that they should make. This book is also brief enough to keep young children interested for a short amount of time.

Extension activity: I could make a chart. One side will title yes, the other side is no. I would have pictures that would be bad choices and good choices. I can ask the
Holly
Oct 07, 2015 Holly rated it liked it
Okay. I LOVE the illustrations. The cover is what caught my eye. I see enjoyed the "please, baby, please" comments when they flowed. A few of the pleases and baby's didn't flow as well. Other than that, I really liked it.
Maria E
Feb 20, 2015 Maria E rated it liked it
Shelves: b-peer-intructor
Please, Baby, Please is good book to practice vocabulary and explore voice sounds with children while is introduce one of the magic words "Please". It's a word repetition book easy to follow. Great for children 0-3 years old.
Tara
Jul 27, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing
Initially, I wasn't too into this, but the more I read it, the more I LOVE it. It's too cute, the drawings are wonderful, and the rhythm makes it fun to read. My daughter loves it too!
Earl
Mar 05, 2016 Earl rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I'd been wanting to read this since I'm always curious when celebrities write books. Cute book about how much of a handful a baby can be. Kadir Nelson's illustrations alone are worth picking up this book.
J-Lynn
A fun collaboration between Spike Lee and his wife Tonya Lee is made into a spectacular picture book for young children through Kadir Nelson's fantastic illustrations.

A young African American baby girl gets into plenty of trouble as this book progresses through her day (the book has a similar energy as No David! by David Shannon, which also has a misunderstood, active main character). But, there is a happy ending where the repetitive line of "baby, please" becomes "mama, please" as the little gi
sucker4synth
Mar 19, 2016 sucker4synth rated it really liked it
Cute little board book about a difficult toddler. The art is wonderful. Written by filmmaker Spike Lee, a father himself, and his wife, a producer, Tonya Lee Lewis.
Susan
Feb 20, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: storybook, 2016
A little girl with a mind of her own and some fairly patient parents. Especially appreciated that the main character was both female and of African heritage.
N.D.
Jan 27, 2016 N.D. rated it it was amazing
I purchased this children's book years ago for my daughter. And it was absolutely wonderful - beautifully drawn and humorously written. A great family read.
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • Flower Garden
  • Global Babies
  • He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
  • Hooray For Fish!
Shelton Jackson Lee, better known as Spike Lee, is an Emmy Award - winning, and Academy Award - nominated American film director, producer, writer, and actor noted for his films dealing with controversial social and political issues. He also teaches film at New York University and Columbia University. His production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.
More about Spike Lee...