Start by marking “Please, Baby, Please” as Want to Read:
Please, Baby, Please

Please, Baby, Please

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  663 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Go back to bed,
baby please, baby, please.

Not on your HEAD,
baby baby baby, please!

Academy-Award nominated filmmaker Spike Lee and his wife, producer Tonya Lewis Lee, preset a behind-the-scenes look at the chills, spills, and unequivocal thrills of bringing up baby!

Vivid illustrations from celebrated artist Kadir Nelson evoke toddlerhood from sandbox to high chair to c...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Please, Baby, Please, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please, Baby, Please

Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineEllington Was Not a Street by Ntozake ShangePlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeMoses by Carole Boston WeatherfordDancing in the Wings by Debbie Allen
Best of Kadir Nelson
3rd out of 30 books — 24 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineAmazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
African American Picture Books
3rd out of 141 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Please, readers, please! Choose this book if you are a fan of Kadir Nelson's work. And if you haven't ever encountered his work, please begin. The illustrations are so wonderful! I just love the baby's expression on the front cover. This is one beautiful, spirited baby! The text is just fine, I really enjoyed the variations on the "please, baby" refrain and felt exhausted just reading about the baby's antics as each hour in the day passes. Whew! But the illustrations are the star.

One thing I wo...more
Mushi
This book, now in its third month in pre-bedtime reading, still manages to entertain.
Kristen
This reminded me a lot of No David. And I've had plenty of parents tell me how much they hate that book, so I feel like people who hate No, David! might also dislike this one. I, however, like the idea of behind books like this--that even though toddlers hear a lot of "no's" throughout the day, there parents still love them. I do wish that the toddler had called to both Mommy and Daddy in the end (it's really a bummer when daddies get left out of picture books all the time--whenever I try to rea...more
Kris Brown
Please, Baby, Please is a children’s picturebook written by Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee. Kadir Nelson is the illustrator. This board book is intended to be read by the Nursery age group. No awards were issued. I rated this book as a five.

Please, Baby, Please is about an African American toddler, who keeps her mother busy throughout the day. The plot is simple and focuses on the two characters, the toddler and the mother. The setting moves around throughout the day as the toddler goes from brea...more
Tiffany
Genre: PB5

I think this is a brilliant story!!! The story is so real that I can feel the moms frustrated "please" coming out of her mouth!! I enjoyed the great illustrations that went along with the story and helped bring the story to life. Each page of the story has a clock on it with the time of day shown and I feel that is a great way to put into perspective the moments in the life of a parent and a child. I relate well to the clock on each page; as a parent we are always looking for more time...more
Shel
Lee, S., & Lee, T.L. (2002). Please, Baby, Please. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

As with No David and Love You When You Whine, Please, Baby, Please shares a parents' frustration of trying to get a child to behave. As can be discerned by the title, Please, Baby, Please is a rather polite version of asking a child to eat their veggies, go to sleep, not draw on the wall, etc. set within a one-day period. This book does include the child's voice as well at the...more
Don Tucker
Julie
In "Please, Baby, Please", we find a rambunctious baby engaging in the everyday mischief of a growing child. From the head full of Cheerios to the mouthful of sand to the baby’s insistence on making a used diaper part of the toy collection, the book does a great job of showing the curiosity and exploration of a child in their daily activities. The details in the illustrations vividly reflect the range of emotions and mischief that is being conveyed by the parent’s tired narrative voice. However,...more
Ruby
This is a great book for 1 or 2 year olds because of the repetition. As an educator, you can ask children why the mommy does not want baby to do the things she does. It might help them to understand the right choices that they should make. This book is also brief enough to keep young children interested for a short amount of time.

Extension activity: I could make a chart. One side will title yes, the other side is no. I would have pictures that would be bad choices and good choices. I can ask the...more
J-Lynn
A fun collaboration between Spike Lee and his wife Tonya Lee is made into a spectacular picture book for young children through Kadir Nelson's fantastic illustrations.

A young African American baby girl gets into plenty of trouble as this book progresses through her day (the book has a similar energy as No David! by David Shannon, which also has a misunderstood, active main character). But, there is a happy ending where the repetitive line of "baby, please" becomes "mama, please" as the little gi...more
Grier
This book was in my box of Cheerios. I was not taken with the story, but the illustrations are charming. 1 star for the writing, 5 for the illustration = 3.
Julie
We like this one a lot. We read the board book format (I don't know if there are others), so the children can be very vigorous with it. This is one book where they tell me the story as we go. "More slide," when the girl in the book doesn't want to leave the playground and "Mommy's rule\," when the girl has to hold her mommy's hand.
Christina
This is a classic and a MUST READ! It goes through the day of a baby and all the requests a mother makes.

The author uses repetition so that young readers will be able to follow along and eventually read alone. The author also uses very visual pictures that correspond to the request being made in the text. Most importantly, the author created a story that is very relevant. Many babies can relate to the things the baby is doing; and mothers can relate to the request that they constantly make.

The...more
Harper
So far, at almost age 2 and countless books later this is Harper's absolute favorite. In fact I am going to have someone get this for her birthday in a few weeks. She is very interactive with the book and even sticks her tongue out when the baby does. It is super cute. I actually enjoy it myself too because the book takes the reader through an entire day in a nice quick timeframe so neither the parent or the innatenntive child gets too restelss. I also like the story because you can tell it is w...more
Carolina
This is a book, that is perfect to teach children about following directions. Good for children that like to be mischievous. Also good book to show that mother's don't give up on their children. Just like "please, puppy, please" this is a book with a lot of repetition and alliteration in it. The bold letter and bright illustrations can really get the children's attention.

An activity I would do with this book, is that I would have the children write down some directions that they think would be...more
Anita
I think this book is so cute. It's about a baby and all things things a parent asks a baby to do. For example, don't eat the sand!! The book also uses repeated phrases like baby, baby, baby, baby and please, baby, baby, please! The illustrations are some of the best I've seen so far. They are so realistic... Almost like a photograph.

I would use this book to ask the students what they notice about the writing. Although there may not be a moral-persay- in this book, it is great for teaching about...more
Jessie
I'm always extremely wary of celebrity authors (have you ever tried to read Madonna's picture books?) but my husband liked the artwork in this one and bought it for my son. Who is 13 months and adores it. Adores. He asks me for "baby" about 10 times a day. He especially likes the page where the little girl is dumping "noodoos" (noodles) on her head. While it isn't my favorite, it gets a solid 3 stars for not being terribly written and being popular with my toddler.
Alice
6. Personal Response: This is one of the first books my son memorized and read along with me. My husband hates reading this book, because of it’s repetition and probably because he does not feel comfortable speaking in the strong voice this book uses. [return]7. Connections: Elementary students could use this book as a guide for creating a timeline about their day, complete with small clocks showing approximate times for each major event of the day.
L13F_Veronica
Endearing story about a day in the life of a little black baby girl getting into everything she can! Her mom continuously tries to steer her in the right direction as her caregiver and nurturer, but you see the mom grab hold of her ( in a loving way, of course, lol). Adorable story, rhyming predictable words and story line for beginning readers. Great bed time story! Can't wait to read it to my niece!
Rachel
Love the illustrations in this book. The cute little body reminds me of Ella's cute little body. Ella loves this book and says, "peas baby pease" when she wants to read it. However, I usually change some of the statements to sound more positive; replacing some of the 'dont's' with what the baby should be doing instead. I.e. The book says "don't be so slow baby" We say "hurry up baby."
Amanda
Apr 05, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jennifer
Wonderful picture book about the "joys" of having a toddler in the house. The kid throws peas on the floor, throws a tantrum when leaving the park, keeps mom up till 3 in the morning, and through it all is so darn cute you just want to give her a great big kiss. Very accurate! Kadir Nelson's illustrations are beautiful. The kids & grown-ups at storytime love this book!
Beckie Coldiron
" Please, Baby, Please" is a cute story about a baby who gets a little feisty around bedtime. You could use this book for phonological awareness and for sequencing. As a large group, you could have students list what they do before bedtime, which would also implement step-by-step procedures. This is a sweet story that I would recommend for pre-k through first grade.
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 Tdavis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
The large type and simple text are great for a young audience to see print. As the rhyming words drift across the page the repetition of “please, baby, please” is emphasized. A rambunctious book, great read-a-loud!

Early Literacy Skills:

Narrative Skills
Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
June
Jun 30, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents and caregivers of young children
Recommended to June by: Elissa
For the Black history lap time I just do black authors or illustrators.

I wasn't too taken with this. I found the changing refrain difficult. But it is certainly popular with the toddler & baby crowd. 2/15/12

Used again with success. 2/20/13

A boy requested this at PJ.

Used for Bathtime Lap Time 6/24/14 Chosen at PJ Story Time too.
Brianna
Grade Levels: Pre-K - 1
* An adorable read aloud for young children that discusses growth and adolescence
* I would use this book to introduce famous people (I.E. Spike Lee) to discuss a variety of occupations that students can choose from when they grow up; I would also point out this author's contributions to American/African American history.
Jennifer Conrad
Cute book featuring a black child (very important to us!). Parents will totally relate to this and all the things you're constantly asking toddlers to do and not to do. We're going back to it now at age 4 to help teach my son how to read by having him read the "baby, baby, please, baby" variations.
Karelle Royal
Great book an inquisitive baby who gets into things.
Good to use to teach about following directions.
Nice book to talk about younger siblings.
Also great to use in a lesson about acting like 'BIG kids' at school.
Art: students can draw a picture of their favorite memory of being a baby and write about it.
Jelisa
I think this would be a great read aloud to read in the classroom. The book is very repetitive and is an easy read for beginning readers. I also that that the children would enjoy the images seen in the book because they are very life-like. And this is written by spike lee and his wife. i love this book!
Gennie Hendrick
The illustrations in this book are just adorable. I can definitely connect this book to myself because my 15 month old hears "please, baby, please" a lot. I think this book could be used as social story if you discuss what the baby is doing and if it is appropriate. Very cute book.
Roy
My daughter immediately took to Spike Lee's legendary catch phrase, the adorable narrative which seemed to be written specifically about her, and the fantastic illustrations. I'm really glad I found this book and only wish I had learned of it sooner.
  • Lola at the Library
  • Mouse Mess
  • The Neighborhood Mother Goose
  • Ten, Nine, Eight Board Book
  • I Kissed the Baby!
Shelton Jackson Lee, better known as Spike Lee, is an Emmy Award - winning, and Academy Award - nominated American film director, producer, writer, and actor noted for his films dealing with controversial social and political issues. He also teaches film at New York University and Columbia University. His production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.
More about Spike Lee...
Please, Puppy, Please Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint Giant Steps to Change the World Spike Lee's Gotta Have It: Inside Guerilla Filmmaking Best Seat in the House