Start by marking “That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It” as Want to Read:
That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It

That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It

Spike Lee tells the cinematic story of the preeminent director, whose pioneering films—from Do The Right Thing, Jungle Fever, and Malcolm X to 25th Hour , Bamboozled, and The Inside Man—helped transform the face of late twentieth-century America. With unprecedented access to the Lee family and new interviews with stars and celebrities—including Denzel Washington, Halle Ber ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It

Andrew Hathaway
Jul 11, 2014 Andrew Hathaway rated it it was amazing
The Spike Lee we get to know in "That's My Story" isn't primarily Lee the director, Lee the sports fan, or Lee the music aficionado. Instead we get to know Lee the philanthropist, donating his time and money from projects and his teaching to bring new blood into the film industry. Tying into that is a great history of Lee the capitalist, utilizing every opportunity in the public eye to expand his brand both creatively and commercially. We also get to know a bit about the conservative side of Lee ...more
Jeff Wilder
Mar 27, 2014 Jeff Wilder rated it liked it
First the flaws.

The editor tries to divide the book into chapters based on Spike Lee's films. This approach might have worked for a book on Michael Mann or Cameron Crowe as those directors often take several years between films. But for Spike Lee, a director who, at the time of the book's writing, had averaged a film a year for 20 years almost, this approach could get unwieldy.

Secondly, certain details are presented in a confusing fashion. For instance, the way the 1994 shooting of Tupac Shakur
Ice
Dec 08, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it
Shelves: afro-american
Keith B.
Jul 09, 2009 Keith B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a informative and entertaining book on film, filmmaking, and the life of one of the most consistant, provoking, filmmakers of our time. Spike Lee's story can be very inspiring and he is a man who went after his dream, it's just in him to tell stories. It's interesting because he talks about the time he met his wife to be...the struggles making Malcolm X, the pressure him and Denzel went through while making it, and before then.

I had the priviledge in meeting Spike Lee-he's laid bac
j_ay
Mar 02, 2014 j_ay rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
All in all it's an ok biography of Spike, but it's sold as an AUTIObio, and this book is NOT in Spike's voice. Sure there are some random quotes, but it is NOT Spike's "story".
While it covers all Spike's films (up to and including She Hate me), it barely covers Spike's TV, commercials, music video and producing work and very, very rarely gets into usual biography material, meaning life outside of the work.
Informative on covering the movies but not at all an autobiography.
Sara
Jan 04, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biografia Autorizzata

Ho scoperto tante cose in questo libro, non solo su Spike Lee ma anche sul cinema americano e sulla comunità così detta black.

Nota al traduttore: africano-americano o italiano-americano sono termini che in italiano sono altamente cacofonici. Meglio adottare afro-americano e italo-americano. Per quanto mi davano fastidio li ho dovuti correggere tutti io con la matita.
Cathy
Oct 08, 2010 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I like Spike Lee so learning more about him and his processes was good for me. Learning about hiccups that happen and how soundtracks came together was interesting. It broke each movie down to tell you the behind the scenes story. It's a must read for Spike Lee fans.
emm
May 30, 2013 emm rated it it was amazing
Spike Lee is a hero of mine... So, I really enjoyed this bio which was full of interviews from the people who know Spike professionally/personally.
Sally mac
Apr 12, 2012 Sally mac rated it it was ok
I thought it was a good biographical account of his career but very annoying, arrogant and showed how totally self indulgent he is.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Matthew Chung
Matthew Chung rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Emily Tanner
Emily Tanner marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Lee Scott
Lee Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Nick Chanko
Nick Chanko rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Vee Vacaro
Vee Vacaro rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Alexis
Alexis rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Malik B.
Malik B. marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
John V.
John V. marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tucker Gilmore
Tucker Gilmore rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Albert Mejia
Albert Mejia marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Tani
Tani marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Aspen
Aspen rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Shelton Jackson Lee, better known as Spike Lee, is an Emmy Award - winning, and Academy Award - nominated American film director, producer, writer, and actor noted for his films dealing with controversial social and political issues. He also teaches film at New York University and Columbia University. His production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.
More about Spike Lee...