Start by marking “The Way We Work: Getting to Know the Amazing Human Body” as Want to Read:
The Way We Work: Getting to Know the Amazing Human Body

The Way We Work: Getting to Know the Amazing Human Body

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 10/7/2008 Pages: 336 Reading Level: Age 10 and Up
Published October 7th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Way We Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way We Work

Punk
Jan 14, 2009 Punk rated it really liked it
Non-Fiction. A walk through the human body, starting at the atomic level, moving on to tissues and organs, and ending with reproduction, accompanied with a variety of illustrations. The book is fun (in the appendix, there's an appendix!); the writing can be jokey and the illustrations often include ladders and tiny people commenting on the action. The artwork is colorful and detailed, frequently depicting human systems as factories or machines.

So it's playful, but there's serious science going o
Nicole
Oct 12, 2008 Nicole rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who give attention to detail, those who already know and love D Mac
I may not be popular for saying this, but David Maculay is just not my style. I appreciate the genius behind his books, but they are not ones I hold near and dear to my heart.

Not to be all SB about it, but I think I like the man more than his work. And so it should come as no surprise that I greatly enjoyed working his event. Daddy Mac likes to talk, no question about that, but his slides were interesting and I was okay with the almost hour long presentation.

I'm stoked for his upcoming Earth boo
Edie
Oct 20, 2008 Edie rated it it was amazing
Macaulay takes apart our bodies and organizes them by function, with humor, intensity and his characteristic artistic skill. The complexity is profound, his respect, clear and the explanations perhaps more complete than some would want, but very informative. A book for all the family to read in bits and pieces, as the spirit, or their body, moves them.
Jonathan
Jun 26, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was amazing

In a companion volume to THE WAY THINGS WORK, Macaulay tackles anatomy and physiology. The best nonfiction book of the year--and one of the very best in any genre.
Annie
Sep 12, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I am borrowing a lovely review by Carol Hurst:

Macaulay has turned his able hand from The Way Things Work to The Way We Work. Well written with fascinating drawings he breaks human anatomy and physiology into seven chapters: Building Life (cell structure), Air Traffic Control (respiration), Let's Eat (digestion), Who's in Charge Here (nervous system), Battle Stations (immune system), Moving On (skeletal and musculature), and Extending the Line (reproduction). Most of the 336 pages are covered wit
Kristy Lange
Apr 15, 2013 Kristy Lange rated it it was amazing
David Macaulay's spent five years researching and creating the book The Way We Work: Getting to Know the Amazing Human Body. Macaulay creates all of his books to learn about the topic, and in turn, he helps the reader learn something as well. This is reflected in his voice throughout the book. He intertwines understandable descriptions and correct terminology to give the reader all they need to know about the human body. He builds the body up, moving from small cells and atoms that create larger ...more
Brittany Davis
Aug 12, 2016 Brittany Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Junior Book Log
Title: The Way We Work: Getting to Know the Amazing Human Body
Author: James Macaulay
Category: Informational #2
Source: Textbook pg. 294

This was an amazing book full of tons of information. I loved the way Macaulay started the book by looking at everything from under a microscope and discussing atoms. He moved into mitosis and parts of cells until he worked his way to organs and their functions. He went into detail about neurons, antibodies, reproduction and so many other topics. Th
Sally
Nov 22, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
When I first pick up a book, I simultaneously take in several factors: look/design (is it pleasing, appropriate to subject?), table of contents (it should reflect what the whole of the book is about), index (IS THERE ONE, and how efficient is it). Then I look something up, either from the contents or the index.

In this book, I found that it is very pleasing to the eye, and the contents AND index are terrific. There's even a glossary.

I was also quite pleased to see that reproduction was given mor
Susan
Nov 02, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs642
Junior Book Log
Informational
Recommending Source: The Joy of Children's Literature p. 294

Maccaulay's illustrations makes learning about how the human body works possible for children. As if looking through a high powered microscope and slowly zooming out, the book begins with a close look at atoms and molecules and eventually move on to the different systems of the body as well as reproduction. The illustrations are realistic, yet included in humorous settings (e.g. a cowboy riding the contractin
Rodrigo
Dec 04, 2013 Rodrigo rated it liked it
The one thing I found interesting about this book and other by the same author is the amount of research behind each book. On this particular book I think he spent five years or so. The use of vocabulary is correct and every picture depicts a human part in its correct functions. His illustrations engage the reader and creates a learning environment that can be enjoyed by everyone. He does so by introducing the smalls organism in the human body and slowly introduces the bigger ones. I think this ...more
Michelle M
Apr 12, 2016 Michelle M rated it it was amazing
Do you ever wonder how we work? What makes our body work? The book titled, The Way We Work by David Macauley is a nonfiction book. I would give this book a 10 out of 10. I extremely enjoyed this book, and every time I would read it I ended up being fascinated on how the body functions! The book is broken out in 7 different kind of chapters. In each chapter the author explains about different kind of human objects such as, the eye, and brain. It also explains how we work. For example David ...more
Chris Rock
Aug 02, 2011 Chris Rock rated it liked it
Shelves: science, anatomy
Found this for a really good deal at the BYU Bookstore. I've been wanting it for a while because I have his other book "The (New) Way Things Work" and I enjoyed looking through that.

These books are interesting as it's hard to pick out exactly who the audience is for these books. The copious illustrations indicate a younger reader, but the text and content is definitely for someone around a middle-school level at least.

The illustrations for this book also seemed a little more rushed. That's under
Banana Howard
Oct 15, 2015 Banana Howard rated it liked it
This book was very enlightening. It was much like a text book I went a little in depth about certain things but I have gained a lot of intelligence. The only reason why I gave this book a three and not a one was because the dawning's made me laugh and also some of them looked very cool also the tittles were a little funny like when it talks about how your body makes poop the tittle was called making feces. So this book I would recommend to people who want to get in depth about the body and who ...more
Heather
May 26, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
I found this in the children's section, but I think (comprehension-wise) it would take at least a middle-school-aged student to follow along. (Trust me on this one - there's a lot of terminology that would have thrown me off without my college courses in physiology, microbiology, neuroscience, etc.) That being said, I think it is a GREAT overall look, and I think the pictures are simpler than the text. This is definitely an accurate representation that doesn't oversimplify.
Mike Salzman
Jun 19, 2013 Mike Salzman rated it it was amazing
I do not like anatomy. Blood makes me squeamish. Too many long words. But this book breaks down and explains the components of the body from the atomic level on up clearly and concisely all while keeping me entertained with Macaulay's charming illustrations. This is another book I'm going to save for my kids.
Leah
Nov 06, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
This human body book is spectacularly illustrated. The content is accurate and the way the book is arranged makes the content fun and interactive. The illustrations are so detailed that you do not even have to read the bulk of the text to learn about the human body!

Recommended age 8-14
Reading Level 5th grade
May 31, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
I can see why some of the libraries in our system put this in their adult collections. This thorough guide to human anatomy tells you how everything works, and the more child appropriate pencil drawings are actually more illustrative for non-doctors than photographs. An exquisitely drawn book throughout.
Lauren
Jun 03, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
does just what it says on the box. an illustrated encyclopedia of human life processes, from the atomic level to the cellular, then to the different organ systems. lovely, engaging, comprehensive, accessible. if i had had this book when i was a child, i would have read it a hundred times by now.
Sam
May 02, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! It really tells you how our bodys work! I really enjoyed this book! It was really interesting to see how our bones move and learn all about how the things that help bones move!
Charleen
Dec 11, 2013 Charleen rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but not as much as the How Things Work book. With the human body, I would have preferred more realistic images of the body parts... but I guess I can get that elsewhere.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs642
Extremely informative with in-depth illustrations on every page, this book covers all the systems and functions of the Human Body. This reference would be an outstanding addition to health classes teaching anatomy, body systems, reproduction, and nutrition.
Bree
Dec 10, 2013 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-science
Notes:
each page can stand alone as a science lesson
drawings are really interesting, some are a bit complicated
written in a fun way that isn't too encylopedia-ish
last section on reproduction is not for under 10
Jan 26, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
This is a great book for teaching kids to understanding the workings of the human body. The illustrations are top-notch. It's interesting to see artistic versions of what we normally see in computer images. Good explanations, too.
Anne
I love this book and wish I owned it. I'm such a geek.

The illustrations are fun, (most) of the explanations are approachable without being so watered down as to be worthless, and it's a fun experience. David Macauley is a god.
Paige
Oct 06, 2009 Paige rated it it was amazing
I really love this series....fun but informative. If only I had lots of money to buy copies for my room. :)
Agathafrye
Jan 15, 2009 Agathafrye rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, nonfiction
WOW. I wish I had had this book when I was younger. I would have definitely memorized all of my bones, etc; if I had this exhaustive and richly illustrated book to guide me.
Lisa
Sep 25, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Excellent drawings of the way our bodies work. I understand muscles, pathogens and eyesight so much better now (among other functions).
Beyond the Pages
Feb 18, 2015 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
Solid resource. B-M levels for homeschooling. Can go as far as you choose to take it. Will utilize on an ongoing basis.
Mimo
Nov 18, 2008 Mimo rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mimo by: NPR
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't actually read it all the way through, but it was a very cool book to look at and the parts I did read were great. Would make a good coffee table/ gift book.
Mark
Not as engaging as The Way Things Work but still informative.
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
  • Lafayette and the American Revolution
  • Black Potatoes: The Story of the Great Irish Famine, 1845-1850
  • All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank
  • Pick Me Up - Stuff You Need To Know...
  • Lady Liberty: A Biography
  • Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
  • Physics: Why Matter Matters!
  • Ask Supernanny: What Every Parent Wants to Know
  • Biology: Life as We Know It!
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking the Secrets of Stonehenge
  • Butterflies And Moths
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...