Start by marking “Bats at the Library” as Want to Read:
Bats at the Library

Bats at the Library (Bat Books)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  4,112 Ratings  ·  377 Reviews
Houghton Mifflin Company Another inky evening’s here— The air is cool and calm and clear.
Can it be true? Oh, can it be?
Yes!—Bat Night at the library!

Join the free-for-all fun at the public library with these book-loving bats! Shape shadows on walls, frolic in the water fountain, and roam the book-filled halls until it’s time for everyone, young and old, to settle down into
Published September 8th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bats at the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bats at the Library

Carmen
Jul 06, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Someone leaves the window open at the local library, and the bats seize a chance to have a 'bat night at the library.'

It's hard to settle down and read
when life flits by at dizzy speed.
But storytime is just the thing
to rest a play-exhausted wing.

And if we listen, we will hear
some distant voices drawing near -
louder, louder, louder still,
they coax and pull us in, until...

everyone – old bat or pup -
has been completely swallowed up
and LIVES inside a book instead
of simply hearing something read
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Very cute! I loved the pictures of those bats! They're all excited because someone left the window open in the library and they can get in. They read the books, which they place upside down while they hang upside down, play with the computer, photocopier, water fountain, and overhead projector, and listen to stories. Brian Lies' illustrations are beautiful and filled with humor. On the first page of text, if you look carefully, the bats on the page are actually hanging upside down. My favorite p ...more
Lisa Vegan
Feb 20, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: for reading aloud
This was a book where I wished I had someone read this to me so that I could listen and simultaneously look at the illustrations.

The rhyming story is very good.

The illustrations are marvelous, with lots of smart and amusing touches. I especially liked the “Goodnight Sun” book cover and the bat that wears glasses, but there is much to look at and enjoy.

The love of books and the ability to immerse oneself in them is communicated well.

You don’t have to be a fan of bats to appreciate this book, but
Kristine Hansen
Oct 31, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Bats waiting for that special night, when they can explore the library! I wish I could join them, to have free rein all night long in a library...how wondrous! What I loved about this book is that it captured that feeling of excitement and discovery for kids. And the pictures are all fun and utterly perfect for this book. This is one I don't mind re-reading.
Kathryn
Dec 28, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Cute!!! Much to enjoy for fans of both libraries and bats. The poetic story is a nice change-of-pace from most picture books, good for read-aloud. My favorite part was when the bats go "into" the stories--bat-themed tributes to "Goodnight Moon," "Red Riding Hood," "King Arthur," "Peter Rabbit" and "Alice in Wonderland"--the bat Whinnie the Pooh is priceless!!!! ;->
L13_F Sandra
Oct 08, 2013 L13_F Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Bats at the Library is a story told in rhyme by a bat . The bats are bored until one of them hears that a window was left open at the library. The bats are very excited and do lots of fun things in the library like making shadows on the wall using an overhead projector, copying themselves on the copying machine, and of course the highlight of the night, storytime. All the bats gather around and listen to the stories being told until the sun starts to come up and they have to leave without finish ...more
J-Lynn
Jan 30, 2009 J-Lynn rated it it was amazing
Bryan Lies does not disappoint with his sequel to Bats at the Beach. From the picture on the cover where a bat cradles a book like it is his prized possession, Lies shows the power of books to entrance the reader. The bats are jubilant at the chance to spend the night in the library and to find books that feed the "universe inside each head." The rhyme and heavy rhythm throughout the book adds to the mood of celebrating learning.

The acrylic illustrations capture the rich texture of dark and nigh
Laima
Nov 11, 2012 Laima rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic children's book with rhymes and beautiful artwork.

Bats. Lots and lots of bats. They discover a window left open at the library and fly in at night when the library is closed. Inside they find wondrous things to see and do. Normally I would think that bats would be a kind of creepy subject for a kid's book but this is not a creepy book at all.

Funny thing, I found this book at the local public library. While at the check out desk the librarian told me a story of bats that lived
Rebecca
Jun 05, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Bats at the Library by Brian Lies is a super rhyming adventure that takes us through a night at the library with bats who love to read! The illustrations in this book are fabulous--there is so much to look at on each page. I love the middle section with no text and bats acting out scenes from different classic books. This book would appeal to boys and girls and really pulls them in with the wonderful rhyming story. It looks like a book I would read in the fall around October because it is night ...more
Candice
Oct 12, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book about a visit to the library - by bats!

"Then word spreads quickly from afar:
a window has been left ajar.
Can it be true? Oh, can it be?
Yes! - Bat Night at the library!
"

The bats swoop through the open library window and have an evening to remember. They read, they play with the photocopier and the water fountain, they enjoy a story time.

"And if we listen, we will hear
some distant voices drawing near -
louder, louder, louder still,
they coax and pull us in, until...
everyone - old bat or pu
Barb
Nov 12, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing
I know I'm not the only person who loves bats and books but this book feels like it was written just for me!

I love this story about the bats sneaking into the library because a librarian left the window open. The bats are charming (as all bats are) of course, and they imagine themselves in some of the most beloved children's books.

My kids and I love the picture where the bats are making copies of themselves on the copy machine and then folding them into paper airplanes.

We borrowed this from the
Luann
Feb 20, 2009 Luann rated it really liked it
So many fun details! Bats wearing reading glasses, bats studying a field guide to moths, bats playing in a pop-up gingerbread house, bats at storytime getting pulled into almost-familiar stories with bat twists - such as "Goodnight Sun" looking very much like "Goodnight Moon." If you read and liked Bats at the Beach, you need to read this one, too.
Stefani Sloma
Aug 06, 2014 Stefani Sloma rated it really liked it
An adorable story about the love of reading and libraries. Really great illustrations (even if the bats in the story are a lot cuter than they are in real life). The last page mentions that maybe a librarian will leave a window open for the bats to visit again. As much as I enjoyed this story, I wouldn't like to get to my library in the morning to see bats everywhere. Ha!
Aimee
Oct 28, 2010 Aimee rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-and-ya, fiction
This is a wonderful book celebrating the joy of reading and portraying the library as a fun place. I already knew I liked the author-illustrator's combination of rhyming narrative and images full of both whimsy and realistic detail, but when I got to the pages where the little bat imagines itself in classic children's stories, I was totally won over.
Mary
Jun 04, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book would be for grades kindegarten to 4th grade. I love that the story rhymed. It was a very cute story and the pictures were also great. I think this would appeal to children because it is a clever story and flows really well. This book is from the Golden Sowers Award list from 2011 in the primary category.
Denise
Feb 25, 2012 Denise added it
Brian Lies shows such great creativity in this book. My youngest son, who is afraid of the dark, loved this book. The creative way that the scenes are upside down and the fun ideas of what a bat would do in a library makes this a new favorite book in our family.
Kaethe
Jun 23, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
My, what a hit this was! The baby bat with water-wings was the best recurring joke, but the whole thing was popular with both the 6 and 9 year old. And with me, too.

It would make a great read-aloud to a group, too.
Molly
Mar 07, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
A window has been left open at the library, and the bats are going on a reading adventure! This would make a great storytime read, whether the theme is bats or libraries. My favorite scene features the bats in storytime, reading the book upside down.
Merry
Mar 12, 2011 Merry rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another really appealing kids book, about two of my favorite things.
Beth
Oct 02, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Maybe I'm just partial to it, as my initials spell "bats" and I work at a library...
Jen H.
Jul 26, 2008 Jen H. rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming book about the bats night in the library. Kids will enjoy.
Kathy Davie
May 19, 2017 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Part of the Bat Books picture book series for very young readers and revolving around bats and their families.

In 2009, Bats in the Library won the Indies Choice Book Award for Best New Picture Book.

My Take
Be sure to really look at that first page! I was so absorbed in the old storyteller and the young one reaching for him that it took a bit before I realized we were upside down in the world! It's so dang cute how often the bats are found hanging upside down. I knowwww, bats usually hang upside d
Laurie
Sep 05, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Cathy Austin
Mar 10, 2017 Cathy Austin rated it it was amazing
Big board book format, perfect for showing off the antics of a bunch of bats who hangout :) in the library!
It's Bat Night!!
Rhyming text throughout moves this tale along nicely.
Artwork is clever, perfectly darkish for a bats' night out and the pages are illuminated with golden glows from the windows and library lamps (where young bats hang to read the books, duh?! :)
The bats themselves are pale with fine webbing friendly features and characteristics, and the baby bats cling safely to their moms w
Relyn
Oct 14, 2016 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: elementary librarians at the beginning of the year
Recommended to Relyn by: Pinterest
Shelves: library-lessons
I used this book the first or second week of library classes this year. It was a great lead in to talking about being excited about the library and all the great things it has to offer. It also gave me the change to review what we don't do in the library: run or fly wing to wing. The illustrations are intriguing with plenty of opportunity for inferring and connecting. This was a great book.

Library Lessons
I specifically used the illustrations of bats as Winnie the Pooh, Red Riding Hood, a Hobbit
Richard
Mar 08, 2017 Richard rated it really liked it
Might be a good book for storytime. It has rhyming couplets and is a book about the library and value of books. Makes sense to use it for a summer reading theme.
Leslie
Share the love of the Library with the bats who happen upon a rare treat—an open window at the Library. Dimly lit setting reflect the evening entry, but there is also a tone like that of entering a theater. The colors are rich and soft with and shine in what lighting writer and illustrator provides. It is pretty and the bats are cute without relying on cartoonish affect. There is a lot to enjoy in the details as Lies marvelously imagines bats in a library, minding scale and using found items ver ...more
Meg Galbreath
13 digit ISBN: 13-079-618-99923-1
price: $16.00
number of pages: 32
Includes: illustrations
Rating: 5 stars: excellent; nearly flawless a must-have for all libraries serving youth.

Brian Lies sequel to Bats at the Beach is a wonderful nighttime journey taken by the local bats through a window that is left open at the
Lindsay
Sep 29, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am thrilled to have stumbled upon Bats at the Library. Brian Lies did a tremendous job illustrating this book, and the story itself reminds readers how story time and books have an incredible capability to suck you in and give you opportunities to experience endless possibilities. The cover of the book initially hooked me when I saw the unusual and fantasy like scene of bats in a library holding books. The creativity in the end pages also caught my eye. On the end page there is an image of a b ...more
Randee Bontrager
Feb 19, 2017 Randee Bontrager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
Bats at the Library by a Brian Lies is an incredible book. This book interested me because of the illustrations and how adorable they are throughout the book. This book is about how one night a year the library window gets left open and the bats can visit. The bats get into all sorts of books and become the characters.

The intended audience would be for a second grade classroom. This book could be used in an elementary classroom by describing how it is fiction and then contrast it to a nonfictio
  • Wild About Books
  • Library Lion
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • The Library Dragon
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • That Book Woman
  • Waiting for the Biblioburro
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Tomas and the Library Lady
  • Library Lil
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • The Library
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Pssst!
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
I was born in 1963 in Princeton, New Jersey, which back then was a quiet college town, surrounded by old farmland slowly giving way to housing developments. I spent a lot of time building dams and forts in the woods across the street with my best friend, inventing things, and writing and drawing with my older sister. At various times during my childhood, we had newts, gerbils and rabbits as pets. ...more
More about Brian Lies...