Start by marking “Silent Letters Loud and Clear” as Want to Read:
Silent Letters Loud and Clear

Silent Letters Loud and Clear (Mr. Wright's Class )

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Another dynamic grammar book that will appeal to both new and experienced spellers. Wretched...dumb...a pain! Nr, Wright's class is tired of silent letters. The students can't hear them. They make spelling too tricky. Should silent letters be banned forever? A companion to "Punctuation Take a Vacation" and "Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day".
School, 32 pages
Published September 15th 2008 by Holiday House (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Letters Loud and Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Letters Loud and Clear

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussAlfie the Apostrophe by Moira Rose DonohuePenny and the Punctuation Bee by Moira Rose DonohueSilent Letters Loud and Clear by Robin PulverThe War Between the Vowels and the Consonants by Priscilla Turner
Picture Books About Punctuation
4th out of 11 books — 7 voters
Anna's Amazing Adventure by Little GeniusesA Colorful Journey Through the Land of Talking Letters, #1 by Mary Jo NyssenDr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. SeussCaitlin Cleans Her Closet by Little GeniusesFunny Animals Alphabet Book by Merrily Home
Letter Sounds
15th out of 17 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Ok, since when is the "h" in the diphthong "wh" silent? I suppose in some parts of the country the word "why" is pronounced "wy," but Pulver is from upstate NY, same as me, and I don't pronounce it that way. Neither letter in a diphthong is silent--they're blended to form a different sound. Aside from that, the story shows in an amusing way what happens if you don't have silent letters in your words. Children may be intrigued by the statement that one of the silent letters makes: "we used to be ...more
Shamika October
Silent Letters Loud and Clear tells the story of Mr. Wright's class, a class that is fed up with the difficulty they encounter when trying to spell words with silent letters. The silent letters, tired of being insulted, hide in order to teach the children a lesson. This is a great book to help children understand why silent letters are important, and how their absence would affect spelling and pronunciation. The book illuminates words with auxiliary, inert, and empty letters that make spelling t ...more
This book, good for children in grades 2nd-5th, teaches children in a very clear and understandable way about silent letters and words with letters you don't necessarily pronounce. The book shows children the importance silent letters have on the pronunciation and spelling of the words they are in, as well as how these words wouldn't work without the silent letters. This book helps children grasp the idea of silent letters in a way that seems far easier than just teaching students about them.
Megan Cureton
Mr. Right's class thinks that silent letters should be banned because they make learning to spell hard. So Mr. Right told the class to write to the newspaper about silent letters and how they should be banned. So they did. Just before the class sent the letter, the silent letters jumped from the page and ran off and hid in the closet. Before the class realized what had happened, they had sent the letter. They received one back that wasn't very nice and Mr. Right was in jeopardy of his job. Befor ...more
I loved this book and the whole concept behind it. I think a lot of kids probably feel the same way the kids in the book felt about silent letters. They are a pain and they have trouble spelling them. However, if you read this book to them, I feel like it would make it perfectly clear how important silent letters are in the English language. Another aspect of the book that I thought was great, especially how it tied in the whole lesson of the book, was that when certain letters were talking, the ...more
I like how it set off the silent letters to help the reader to pronounce the word as well as to show how different the text would sound without the silent letters. I also like how the students realized the importance of the silent letters when they saw their letter to the editor posted in the newspaper without the silent letters along with an angry note from the editor.
Interest Level
Grades K - 3
Reading Level
Grade level Equivalent: 2.8
Lexile Measure: AD410
Carol Royce Owen
Add this to your list for spelling lessons about silent letters. The children in Mr. Wright's class are so fed up with all of the silent letters in words, they write a letter to the editor of a local paper requesting that people stop using them. The silent letters sneak off into a closet, disappointed about the poor rap they are getting, and write letters to protest their treatment. When the children's letter is printed without the silent letters, however, they discover that maybe they were wron ...more
This nonfiction book about language is appropriate for an Intermediate audience. The students in Mr. Wright's class complain how silent letters make spelling so difficult, so all the silent letters begin a revolt, slipping out of the children's sentences and thereby wreaking communication havoc. While this picture book looks like it might be intended for a younger audience, the reader does need to have some understanding of alphabet and spelling and grammar before they could really understand th ...more
Kelly Tisdale
This would be a great book for a lesson plan over silent letters when discussing phonemic awareness. Also, the topic of letter sounds that aren’t silent that are used throughout the book would be a great way to use this book for another lesson. The illustrations for this book show the faces of the people as a little scary because of the big eyes, but some may like the abstract look. However I do like the pictures of the letters when they are talking about how they feel being silent.
Sarah Ashburn
I really enjoyed this book! I think that teaching new readers about silent letters through reading is a great idea. This book has many examples of how silent letters work in words and make no sound. I think that this would help students understand that sometimes you don't hear letters but they are still in the words spelling.This book also has very creative illustrations. Great teaching tool for students!
This book would be great for a phonics lesson! In the book it is hard for the children to understand silent letters because they cannot be heard. It makes spelling very difficult for them. This is a tricky concept for the kids. I think students in my classroom would be able to relate to this book because they too probably struggle with spelling due to the silent letters.
Elines Flores
Mr. Wright's class is fed up with silent letters. What's the point in having them if you can't even hear them, right? Well, the students find themselves in a world without silent letters for a brief moment. Come to find out, it is not what the class expected. This book shows student what silent letters are and why they are needed in a very clever and humorous way.
Marissa Pezzullo
This would be a great book to read aloud to students when teaching Phonics, as well as silent sounds like the sneaky E. This book was from the perspective of a child in a classroom. I think that this is good because it is less intimidating for the children to learn. This book lets you play off the sounds of the silent letters as well as use them in the words.
Katie Nanney
This book teaches an important lesson about silent letters and how we need them to make words. Just because they are silent, doesn't mean they aren't important. It also alludes to doing your job even when no one appreciates you. I think this book could be useful in two ways: teaching phonics and teaching the value of doing your best no matter what. I can see this book being used in any classroom first grade and up as a read-aloud and to introduce a phonics lesson on silent letters. I really enjo ...more
My 6 year old is learning how to read and this book confused him. I still think it is a good book though. The illustration isn't great but I didn't pick this book up because I loved the drawings. I picked it for what it could teach my son and even though it confused him, I see it as a step towards teaching him more about silent letters.
Megan Miller
Mr. Wright's class doesn't understand why they have learn how to use silent letters. The class decides to write a letter to the newspaper about their feelings, and all the silent letters decided to remove themselves from the letter since they are not wanted. This would be a good book to use when teaching phonemic awareness.
Silent Letters Loud and Clear is a great book to use during a phonics lesson on silent letters. I would use this book as an introduction to a mini lesson. I think that first and second graders would benefit from this book. The pictures and concept take a learning opportunity and put it into a fun book.
Maggie Burgess
This book is okay. It introduces the existence of silent letters, but doesn't do much for explaining why they are there. It just shows that words would look different if they weren't there. It also has "silent letters" that actually serve a purpose, but misses the opportunity to explain that. (For example, many words with a silent e on the end force the vowel to be a long vowel. There is a speech bubble reference to this when the word "fin" says it longs for the e, but this would not teach a chi ...more
Jordan Williams
Great book to help young readers, and writers, to understand the dreadful silent letter. The illustrations really give the silent letters their own character, allowing the story to even be fun. nothing is better than having fun while you are learning. This book does that, easily.
Sherry Thornberry
What a wonderful way to teach emergent readers and writers all about silent letters. I like the way the author made them animate and gave the silent letters personality. The book also demonstrated the over all effect of silent letter usage on our system of reading and writing simply by having the silent letters protest and refuse to be in an email. I liked this book. This book provides and easy way to intorduce a literacy concept and open the way for delving further into "silent letters."
Mattathias Westwood
This is a useful book for a phonics lesson. It's about letters and their relationships with each other. I think this is definitely a book that you could read multiple times and get new things out of it every time, especially as you progress through reading education.
This was a funny, entertaining, and informative book. It describes the importance of our silent letters in our words. This is a wonderful book to use to teach a lesson about the silent 'e' or 'k'. It can also be used to show examples of these silent letter words to students to use in their own writing.
This is a great book to use to teach a spelling lesson. Not only would it be fun for children, but it would also teach a lesson about silent letters. It would allow children to have something to reference when they start spelling words with silent letters.
Katie (Katrina) Means
Easy to read, colorful book about silent letters. A class decides they don't need silent letters and kick them out, but soon realize their mistake. Great for kids just leaning the alphabet or even just as a reminder.
Brent Rogers
Silent Letters Loud and Clear is a great phonics book. Letters are the characters in the book. The letters that are silent are highlighted in each word for children to better identify and understand.
This book was just OK. It kept the attention of my two younger readers most of the way through. It just wasn't that intriguing. I've seen better books for teaching about silent letters.
A humorous story about silent letters, phonemes, wanting more attention within the text. This book would be a great read-aloud for a lesson about silent letters.
Danelle Spicer
An interesting twist on how to get children to learn about the silent letters in the alphabet when reading. It is a funny story about how the letters want to be heard.
Whitney Roberts
I really enjoyed this book and the interesting way it addressed a language arts concept. It would be a great book for a hook to start a mini-lesson.
  • How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • underGROUND
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
  • A Second Is A Hiccup
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • Piggy Bunny
  • Don't Copy Me!
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • My Travelin' Eye
  • The Hungry Thing
  • The Day Leo Said I Hate You!
  • Barbie: Thumbelina
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo

Mr. Wright's Class (5 books)
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation