Start by marking “Gus is a Tree” as Want to Read:
Gus is a Tree

Gus is a Tree

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Gus dozes off on the playground and dreams that he is a tree in the forest. Includes glossary of terms related to trees and forests.
Published September 1st 2009 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Gus is a Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gus is a Tree

Lisa Vegan
Nov 16, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
The illustrations are colorful and gorgeous, as are the photographs of tree parts that appear in an educational section about various types of trees at the back of the book.

The story follows Gus during a school recess as he daydreams/dreams about being a tree and all that entails, including how he imagines the tree feels as it interacts with its environment. I felt as though I was right in a forest of trees while reading this book, seeing and feeling everything via Gus’s imagination. I love how
Amy
Babin, C. and Tallec, O. (2008). Gus is a Tree. Enchanted Lion Books. Picture Book Soak.
Gus falls asleep and dreams that he is a tree. He experiences the forest at night, and imagines the parts of the tree that he has become, the weather, and the animals that surround him. Once the dream begins, each page is illustrated with a combination of both paintings and photographs of trees. The juxtaposition provides texture and visual interest, and is just plain cool! The story highlights tree-related
Amy Harris
Leslie
A natural meditation. It starts with illustration, but Gus's imagination is more real than his surroundings and blends his daydream with photographs of trees. Sweetly, his friends do not make fun of his wandering mind - they care for and accept him.
Kimbely Fletcher
This is a great book that encourages imagination. Gus has a series of books that explore what it would be like to be different things. While the kids play on the playground, Gus sits under the tree and daydreams about what it would be like to be a tree. He dreams about what it was like to walk through the forest with his father. He pretends he is the tree in the forest. This book is so wonderful because it explores the vivid imagination of a child. I would use this book to teach about imaginatio ...more
Jackie
Gus loves to sit under the trees...he becomes the trees. Slowly drifting off in to the night, he imagines himself becoming one with the leaves, the branches, the roots and the night around him. As night gives way to daylight, Gus's friends awakend him to come out of the rain.

Gus is a Tree is wonderfully illustrated with child-like imagination and wonder.

Used for "Trees" Storytime: September, 2011.

Used for "Trees" storytime: October, 2011 (substituting for Angelica's 3 year-old storytime at BP
Sam Bloom
I guess there is a series of "Gus" books (but I've never seen any others). Beautiful illustrations, but the story, about a boy with a vivid imagination, is marred by the author's use of ALL CAPS for vocab words. I'm sorry, but can we save the vocab lessons for the textbooks? I'm trying to read for fun here...
Contemplative
Jul 08, 2009 Contemplative rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
A cute book about trees and nature. Both my children liked it. At the end of the book is a glossary and actual photos of some of the nature one encountered in the story.
Katie
Not sure I like the story, but these illustrations are really vibrant and interesting. Little bits of nature photographs are morphed into the paintings.
Tina
trees, nature
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Sun
Sun marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013