Start by marking “In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes” as Want to Read:
In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes

In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  28 reviews
With 50 recipes and 8 pages of full-color photographs by Micheal McLaughlin.
Published April 16th 1994 by Knopf (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about In the Kitchen with Rosie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Kitchen with Rosie

Lobstergirl
This is like a Cliffs Notes version of a cookbook. If it were a dog, it would be a Chihuahua. If it were a country, it would be Luxembourg. If it were one of the Dionne quintuplets, it would be Marie. All in all, I would rather have a Luxembourgian chihuahua named Marie than this cookbook. And where is Rosie, anyway? She peaked too early to get her own show like Drs. Phil and Oz. She won't be selling anything on HSN like Nate Berkus. Is she selling shoes at Payless? I don't think we'll ever know ...more
A.M.
This book doesn't lend itself to being used for the following reasons:
-the size is awkward and difficult to prop around the kitchen;
-there is no table of contents listing the recipes & page #s;
-there are basically no pictures, and I'm a visual person;
-while there is a wide range of recipes, they all tend towards the complicated side of cooking.

Furthermore, not being a fan of Oprah (I live in London, give me a break!) I found her little comments about how much she loves all food every few pag
GoddessLove
Even though I can't stand Oprah she sure knows how to pick a good chef. Rosie Dailey has made some amazing low fat, sugar and salt recipes, she uses other ingredient as substituent and it works.
Sandra
Nothing has turned out. Maybe I like cooking with butter too much
Steven Peterson
Rosie Daley is probably as well known for serving as "Oprah's Chef" as for her own work. In an Introduction, Oprah Winfrey notes (page xi): "I once believed that eating healthy meant eating food that was missing something--TASTE." Then, at a spa where she went, she experienced the meals of Rosie Daley. Of that experience, Winfrey said (page xi): "This new way of eating very low fat, low sugar, low salt. . .has made such a difference in my life."

This short work includes recipes for soups, salads
Linda C
The introduction by Oprah tells about her going to a spa to jump start a weight loss program and being blown away by the tasty food. She met the chef and enticed her to come to work for her. The recipes are low fat, low sugar and low salt. Rosie has a great chapter at the beginning on ingredients and techniques; additions and substitutions. I particularly liked the idea of fresh vegetable purees as the basis for thick soups and using flavored vinegars.
One recipe that struck me right off was Blac
Andrea Alumbaugh-henry
Small but great recipes. Ingredients easy to buy, not too many per recipe and all around great food. I have personally made every dish and love them.

I did not find the recipes to be confusing or hard, like others did. This is a cook book that makes everything from scratch. Worth it to have healthy food on the table.

Favorite recipes:

Curried Mushroom Soup (pg 18)
Un-fried chicken (pg 39)
Angel hair pasta with lemon and garlic (pg 58)
Pasta in white clam sauce (pg 63)
Roasted mustard potatoes (pg 101
Renata
I bought this book when it first came out. The recipes were quite disappointing. I remember making a caesar salad with some strange ingredients for the dressing (no oil), but the salad got soggy in about a minute. Low fat and no taste. I quickly donated it to a charity book sale (and I am a collector of cookbooks).
Nidia
Loved the recipes in this book. Well written and if you are an Oprah fan, you will enjoy it!
Joyce McCombs
I was a bit disappointed.. first of all, the book is HUGE and ungainly - not something you can flip open on a counter easily.. and it's a pain to hold and read, too. The recipes are ok, I guess.. but there seems to be a lot of expensive and exotic ingredients you MUST HAVE..and some intense cooking that us "Carefree" Alaska girls tend to shy away from. Overproduced, over glamorous... maybe I'm Over Oprah?
Kathleen Nightingale
Typical high profile everything is perfect book
Joyce
Aaah. Forgot about this one. It was very popular back in the day and it actually has some very good recipes. I really enjoyed the Unfried Chicken, thee Unfried French Fries and Sweet Potato Pie. What I really like about it is that comfort food can indeed be healthy without sacrificing flavor or be harder to make.
Dolly
Jan 03, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cooks
I received this book as a present and though I wouldn't say that it's my favorite cookbook, I have followed several of the recipes. I never knew how to cook an artichoke before I got this book and for awhile, we were cooking them all of the time. Love the artichoke dip, too!
Amy
seems like people don't like this book so much but i have to say i really like this cookbook. every recipe i've tried has been really, quite tasty, especially the unfried chicken, corn chowder, and angel hair pasta. not a lot of recipes though; wish there were more.
Nancy
Most of the recipes are more complicated than I'm willing to try, though I do love her recipe for spinach salad with oranges and pine nuts. It was interesting to read Oprah's comments that precede each section.
Alice Robinson
I cooked a couple of the recipes from this cookbook -- mostly for large dinner parties. The recipe sizes were easy to double in size for a party. The food came out good, and the ingredients were easily accessible.
Nightowltoo
I rarely use this book anymore. Most recipes weren't really for me, but I LOVED Oprah's unfried chicken. I still make that one once every month or so, but I use chicken tenders and put them on salad.
BoekenTrol
Mar 02, 2013 BoekenTrol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: heirs of mrs. Paulus
Received from the legacy of mrs. Paulus.

Will leaf through it, to see if there are any recipes we might like. Will return later to et you know the result.
Carleen
I can't remember why I bought this book. It has low-fat, nutritious recipes, but I want to see pictures and there are few in here.
ara133photography
Pretty tasty! I got this several years ago, and I still make the scalloped potatoes with nutmeg :)
Kerri
I liked the following recipes:
- Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon and Garlic
Kim
Owned this cookbook for years and never used it...OK, my fault.
Noel
Appealing, mouth-watering dishes which are also good for you.
Cranbery
An oldie but goodie........recipes are wonderful!
Kelly Ramsey
The corn chowder recipe is outstanding.
Gloria
Fun, but somewhat complicated.
Karen
Yes, I drank the kool-aid!
Liz
  • Weber's Big Book of Grilling
  • Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Martha Stewart's Healthy Quick Cook
  • America's Most Wanted Recipes: Delicious Recipes from Your Family's Favorite Restaurants
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras
  • Semi-Homemade Cooking
  • The Breakfast Book
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • Eating: A memoir
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
  • Rachael Ray: Just in Time: All-New 30-Minutes Meals, plus Super-Fast 15-Minute Meals and Slow It Down 60-Minute Meals
  • James Beard's Theory and Practice Of Good Cooking
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • Top Chef the Cookbook
In the Kitchen with Rosie The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit