Start by marking “In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes” as Want to Read:
In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes

In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes

Here are fifty favorite recipes created by Rosie Daley, Oprah's cook - dishes that Oprah loves because they have helped her lose weight and feel good. The recipes are light and low in fat and, at the same time, enormously satisfying and tasty.' to '

New York Times #1 Best Seller

Rosie Daley gem of a cookbook now comes to paperback. Here are fifty favorite recipes that Rosie

Published April 16th 1994 by Knopf (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about In the Kitchen with Rosie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Kitchen with Rosie

Lobstergirl
Mar 27, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it it was ok
This is like a Cliffs Notes version of a cookbook. If it were a dog, it would be a Chihuahua. If it were a country, it would be Luxembourg. If it were one of the Dionne quintuplets, it would be Marie. All in all, I would rather have a Luxembourgian chihuahua named Marie than this cookbook. And where is Rosie, anyway? She peaked too early to get her own show like Drs. Phil and Oz. She won't be selling anything on HSN like Nate Berkus. Is she selling shoes at Payless? I don't think we'll ever know ...more
A.M.
Jun 11, 2009 A.M. rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book doesn't lend itself to being used for the following reasons:
-the size is awkward and difficult to prop around the kitchen;
-there is no table of contents listing the recipes & page #s;
-there are basically no pictures, and I'm a visual person;
-while there is a wide range of recipes, they all tend towards the complicated side of cooking.

Furthermore, not being a fan of Oprah (I live in London, give me a break!) I found her little comments about how much she loves all food every few pag
GoddessLove
Oct 13, 2012 GoddessLove rated it it was amazing
Even though I can't stand Oprah she sure knows how to pick a good chef. Rosie Dailey has made some amazing low fat, sugar and salt recipes, she uses other ingredient as substituent and it works.
Sandra
Aug 20, 2008 Sandra rated it it was ok
Nothing has turned out. Maybe I like cooking with butter too much
Steven Peterson
Dec 19, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
Rosie Daley is probably as well known for serving as "Oprah's Chef" as for her own work. In an Introduction, Oprah Winfrey notes (page xi): "I once believed that eating healthy meant eating food that was missing something--TASTE." Then, at a spa where she went, she experienced the meals of Rosie Daley. Of that experience, Winfrey said (page xi): "This new way of eating very low fat, low sugar, low salt. . .has made such a difference in my life."

This short work includes recipes for soups, salads
Linda C
Aug 02, 2012 Linda C rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
The introduction by Oprah tells about her going to a spa to jump start a weight loss program and being blown away by the tasty food. She met the chef and enticed her to come to work for her. The recipes are low fat, low sugar and low salt. Rosie has a great chapter at the beginning on ingredients and techniques; additions and substitutions. I particularly liked the idea of fresh vegetable purees as the basis for thick soups and using flavored vinegars.
One recipe that struck me right off was Blac
Andrea Alumbaugh-henry
Jan 08, 2014 Andrea Alumbaugh-henry rated it it was amazing
Small but great recipes. Ingredients easy to buy, not too many per recipe and all around great food. I have personally made every dish and love them.

I did not find the recipes to be confusing or hard, like others did. This is a cook book that makes everything from scratch. Worth it to have healthy food on the table.

Favorite recipes:

Curried Mushroom Soup (pg 18)
Un-fried chicken (pg 39)
Angel hair pasta with lemon and garlic (pg 58)
Pasta in white clam sauce (pg 63)
Roasted mustard potatoes (pg 101
Joyce McCombs
Jun 17, 2008 Joyce McCombs rated it it was ok
I was a bit disappointed.. first of all, the book is HUGE and ungainly - not something you can flip open on a counter easily.. and it's a pain to hold and read, too. The recipes are ok, I guess.. but there seems to be a lot of expensive and exotic ingredients you MUST HAVE..and some intense cooking that us "Carefree" Alaska girls tend to shy away from. Overproduced, over glamorous... maybe I'm Over Oprah?
Renata
Nov 16, 2014 Renata rated it did not like it
I bought this book when it first came out. The recipes were quite disappointing. I remember making a caesar salad with some strange ingredients for the dressing (no oil), but the salad got soggy in about a minute. Low fat and no taste. I quickly donated it to a charity book sale (and I am a collector of cookbooks).
Joyce
Mar 29, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it
Aaah. Forgot about this one. It was very popular back in the day and it actually has some very good recipes. I really enjoyed the Unfried Chicken, thee Unfried French Fries and Sweet Potato Pie. What I really like about it is that comfort food can indeed be healthy without sacrificing flavor or be harder to make.
Tima
Oct 06, 2016 Tima rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Recipes have simple steps and the ingredients can be found in most grocery stores. The recipes leaned in the direction of healthy, but there were several that I didn't think of as low calorie or healthy. Overall, this was a nice book that I was able to glean several recipes from with mixed reviews from my family.
Alice Robinson
Apr 20, 2013 Alice Robinson rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I cooked a couple of the recipes from this cookbook -- mostly for large dinner parties. The recipe sizes were easy to double in size for a party. The food came out good, and the ingredients were easily accessible.
Amy
Nov 02, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Seems like people don't like this book so much but I have to say I really like this cookbook. Every recipe I've tried has been really, quite tasty, especially the unfried chicken, corn chowder, and angel hair pasta. Not a lot of recipes though; wish there were more.
Nancy
Jul 12, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
Most of the recipes are more complicated than I'm willing to try, though I do love her recipe for spinach salad with oranges and pine nuts. It was interesting to read Oprah's comments that precede each section.
Whyvonwhy
Jun 08, 2016 Whyvonwhy rated it liked it
Some good recipes, especially the healthier version of sweet potato pie. I'm not an Oprah fan, but the book was a gift and I enjoyed it. Am adding to my list now because I'm going through books to donate to our Friends of Library book sale. Hopefully an Oprah fan will pick it up.
Dolly
Jan 03, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cooks
I received this book as a present and though I wouldn't say that it's my favorite cookbook, I have followed several of the recipes. I never knew how to cook an artichoke before I got this book and for awhile, we were cooking them all of the time. Love the artichoke dip, too!
Liz
641.5 Dal
ara133photography
Feb 01, 2011 ara133photography rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Pretty tasty! I got this several years ago, and I still make the scalloped potatoes with nutmeg :)
Nicolette Rothwell
Dec 15, 2016 Nicolette Rothwell rated it really liked it
This was a favourite for fancy, healthy, doable recipes before the children were born. Time to dust it off and bring it back in use
Nidia
Apr 29, 2014 Nidia rated it really liked it
Loved the recipes in this book. Well written and if you are an Oprah fan, you will enjoy it!
Gloria
Mar 21, 2013 Gloria rated it liked it
Fun, but somewhat complicated.
Karen
Aug 05, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-i-love
Yes, I drank the kool-aid!
Kelly Ramsey
May 29, 2011 Kelly Ramsey rated it it was amazing
The corn chowder recipe is outstanding.
BoekenTrol
Mar 02, 2013 BoekenTrol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: heirs of mrs. Paulus
Received from the legacy of mrs. Paulus.

Will leaf through it, to see if there are any recipes we might like. Will return later to et you know the result.
Cranbery
Jan 15, 2011 Cranbery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An oldie but goodie........recipes are wonderful!
Nightowltoo
Nov 09, 2010 Nightowltoo rated it liked it
I rarely use this book anymore. Most recipes weren't really for me, but I LOVED Oprah's unfried chicken. I still make that one once every month or so, but I use chicken tenders and put them on salad.
Carleen
Apr 15, 2008 Carleen rated it it was ok
I can't remember why I bought this book. It has low-fat, nutritious recipes, but I want to see pictures and there are few in here.
Noel
May 13, 2009 Noel rated it it was ok
Appealing, mouth-watering dishes which are also good for you.
Kim
Sep 01, 2008 Kim rated it did not like it
Owned this cookbook for years and never used it...OK, my fault.
  • Great Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking
  • Ingredients
  • The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
  • Semi-Homemade: Cooking
  • America's Most Wanted Recipes: Delicious Recipes from Your Family's Favorite Restaurants
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • James Beard's Theory and Practice Of Good Cooking
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • Rachael Ray: Just in Time: All-New 30-Minutes Meals, plus Super-Fast 15-Minute Meals and Slow It Down 60-Minute Meals