Start by marking “The Gates of Night (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Gates of Night (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #3)

The Gates of Night (The Dreaming Dark #3)

A band of war-weary soldiers have uncovered a plot that may tear the very fabric of reality forever. To save their own lives and to prevent a long-banished race of monsters from unleashing an army of horrors upon the waking world, they must reach the very heart of Dal Quor. To stop the cataclysm in time, they must fight their way to .
Published November 7th 2006 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Gates of Night, please sign up.

Keith Baker Two characters from The Dreaming Dark appear in The Son of Khyber, the second book of the Thorn of Breland series. I'd like to tell more stories about…moreTwo characters from The Dreaming Dark appear in The Son of Khyber, the second book of the Thorn of Breland series. I'd like to tell more stories about the others, but at the moment the IP is locked up by Wizards of the Coast, so it's not currently possible. (less)

Josh
Feb 21, 2015 Josh rated it it was ok
While I feel like this one has a more cohesive story than the second book in the series, it still ultimately falls quite a bit short of its potential. The first book in the series was quite good, especially up until the end, because it did a great job of introducing you to the world. This one stayed back in the land of more dime-a-dozen series tie-in novels.

I really like the world of Eberron, because of its blend of fantasy and sci-fi. But I think in order to truly capitalize on that you would
David
Hyann
Oct 19, 2011 Hyann rated it it was ok

I hates when authors used dreams in the story most of the time it didn't really adds something... well this book is all about the plane of dream.

The characters are in a bizarre world so you just watch them battle against monsters after monsters in a very linear manner.
Like a bad D&D session, the heroes got a special weapons to make them hotter and people come from nowhere to help them for some reason.
Yes Baker answered a lot of questions but too many thing happen for no reason.. don't like
Marco Vadalà
Myles
Apr 18, 2014 Myles rated it it was ok
What gives? The Dreaming Dark was the flagship trilogy for the Eberron setting in Dungeons and Dragons. I enjoyed The City of Towers and The Shattered Land and was looking forward to finally reading the conclusion. I expected there to be some loose ends, an open ending of sorts to make way for numerous sequels. Instead we have a...what? A failed artistic maneuver?

There is a resolution to their quest, but the characters themselves are adrift. And no follow up whatsoever until Baker's Son of Khyb
Christopher
Aug 05, 2010 Christopher rated it it was ok
On the whole, I like the Eberron setting a lot and I think that the plot of the The Dreaming Dark series is interesting and fun. I give the series as a whole 3 stars.

The second and third books in the series improved my opinion of the first, in as much as the actions of certain characters seemed less contrived. I also found the whole series to be too self conscious: I don't need to be told that every lantern is a "cold fire" lantern. My criticisms and low rating with the third book deal mostly w
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing
This final book of the Dreaming Dark trilogy is much like the first two. Fast-paced and exciting action in a strange new world with unique and well-developed characters. As Daine, Peirce, and Lei (and Jode) travel to other dimensions in their effort to escape death at the hands of Harmattan, they find answers to their pasts and their destinies in unlikely places. Much of this book is pretty strange, with the heroes actually leaving the world of Eberron and traveling to a world of dreams. A new c ...more
Marvin
Jul 28, 2016 Marvin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The least engaging book of the series for me--I'm just not big on planar gallivanting--but it's done pretty well despite much of the book, like much of the series, having little impact on the part's big-picture. The characters are pursuing their own fates, for a change, and the narrative finally devotes serious time to Pierce, the most intriguing character in the series. To me, anyway. In that regard the series certainly works well as a means of marketing the D&D world of Eberron; who wouldn ...more
Daniel
Feb 06, 2017 Daniel rated it liked it
The ending was awful and very confusing. I was very disappointed and it is a shame because I loved the first two books and the charactwrs.
Robert Carlberg
Apr 30, 2013 Robert Carlberg rated it it was amazing
Very good end to the trilogy. I do wonder if it was planned to go on though. The ending seemed to mean that the author wanted to write more. I know there are a lot more books in Eberron I haven't read, so maybe it does continue. Really did enjoy reading about Daine, Lei, and Pierce. Even their friend Jode showing up in the end was a nice surprise. They travel from one of the continents of Eberron (Xen'drik) to another plain in this book. The armies of Dol Quor are forming to take over Eberron an ...more
Dan
Jul 03, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Better than the Shattered Land and reasonably satisfying in its conclusions. The ending feels rushed with the bulk of the book set in Thelanis (not, as one would expect, Dal Quor). Thelanis is pretty nifty, with characters and stories of its own. Thankfully, the heroes aren't separated and embroiled in other conflicts, but the whole aside feels like an excuse to power up Daine, Lei, Pierce and their new drow friend, Xu'sasar. Indeed, there is a bit too much powering up going on, as if the heroes ...more
Matthew Perry
Jun 23, 2012 Matthew Perry rated it liked it
In my opinion, the worst of the series. The author retells the story multiple times from chapter-to-chapter through the eyes of the main characters. Honestly, it gets very confusing and quite annoying. It's almost like a page-filler. The ending was equally atrocious and not something that I'd really ever like to see in a book again. All-in-all, a terrible ending to a great trilogy.
Mike
Feb 03, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Much better than the previous book in the series. You feel like you want to care about what happens to the characters again. Anti-climactic finish, but an ok story overall.
Ignacio
Sep 29, 2009 Ignacio rated it really liked it
Excellent ending, breath taking and the end draw near.
Dustin
Sep 11, 2011 Dustin rated it it was ok
Nope, scratch that. The book loses a star for the completely lackluster ending and the complete lack of resolution for the characters.
Charlotte
Jan 29, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Why did it end like that?!
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Edward
Edward rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Deth Boy
Deth Boy rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Jarrod Schaaf
Jarrod Schaaf rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Manolis Ragkousis
Manolis Ragkousis rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Joseph Fitts
Joseph Fitts rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Christian Espeland
Christian Espeland rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Roger
Roger rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Ash
Ash rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2008
Eddie
Eddie rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2010
Daniel Saffo
Daniel Saffo rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2008
Drew
Drew rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2012
J
J rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
  • The Grieving Tree (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #2)
  • Marked for Death (Eberron: The Lost Mark, #1)
  • Flight of the Dying Sun (Eberron: Heirs of Ash, #2)
  • Forge of the Mind Slayers (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #2)
  • Bound By Iron (Eberron: The Inquisitives, #1)
  • Storm Dragon (Eberron: The Draconic Prophecies, #1)
  • Tales of the Last War (Eberron)
  • Night of Long Shadows (Eberron: Inquisitives, #2)
  • The Crimson Talisman (Eberron: War-Torn, #1)
  • Dragons: Worlds Afire
19558
I've been interested in games since I first fell under the sinister influence of the Dungeons & Dragons boxed set, back in sixth grade. Over the last few decades I have managed to turn gaming from a hobby into a career. Here is a list of the highlights of my life as a game designer. If you have any questions, let me know!

From 1994-2002, I fell into the computer games industry. My first job was
More about Keith Baker...

The Dreaming Dark (3 books)
  • The City of Towers (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #1)
  • The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #2)