The Gates of Night (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #3)

The Gates of Night (The Dreaming Dark #3)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A band of war-weary soldiers have uncovered a plot that may tear the very fabric of reality forever. To save their own lives and to prevent a long-banished race of monsters from unleashing an army of horrors upon the waking world, they must reach the very heart of Dal Quor. To stop the cataclysm in time, they must fight their way to .
Published November 7th 2006 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2006)

David
Hyann

I hates when authors used dreams in the story most of the time it didn't really adds something... well this book is all about the plane of dream.

The characters are in a bizarre world so you just watch them battle against monsters after monsters in a very linear manner.
Like a bad D&D session, the heroes got a special weapons to make them hotter and people come from nowhere to help them for some reason.
Yes Baker answered a lot of questions but too many thing happen for no reason.. don't like...more
Marco Filippo
Dan
Better than the Shattered Land and reasonably satisfying in its conclusions. The ending feels rushed with the bulk of the book set in Thelanis (not, as one would expect, Dal Quor). Thelanis is pretty nifty, with characters and stories of its own. Thankfully, the heroes aren't separated and embroiled in other conflicts, but the whole aside feels like an excuse to power up Daine, Lei, Pierce and their new drow friend, Xu'sasar. Indeed, there is a bit too much powering up going on, as if the heroes...more
Christopher
On the whole, I like the Eberron setting a lot and I think that the plot of the The Dreaming Dark series is interesting and fun. I give the series as a whole 3 stars.

The second and third books in the series improved my opinion of the first, in as much as the actions of certain characters seemed less contrived. I also found the whole series to be too self conscious: I don't need to be told that every lantern is a "cold fire" lantern. My criticisms and low rating with the third book deal mostly w...more
Robert Carlberg
Very good end to the trilogy. I do wonder if it was planned to go on though. The ending seemed to mean that the author wanted to write more. I know there are a lot more books in Eberron I haven't read, so maybe it does continue. Really did enjoy reading about Daine, Lei, and Pierce. Even their friend Jode showing up in the end was a nice surprise. They travel from one of the continents of Eberron (Xen'drik) to another plain in this book. The armies of Dol Quor are forming to take over Eberron an...more
Matthew Perry
In my opinion, the worst of the series. The author retells the story multiple times from chapter-to-chapter through the eyes of the main characters. Honestly, it gets very confusing and quite annoying. It's almost like a page-filler. The ending was equally atrocious and not something that I'd really ever like to see in a book again. All-in-all, a terrible ending to a great trilogy.
Dustin
Nope, scratch that. The book loses a star for the completely lackluster ending and the complete lack of resolution for the characters.
Ignacio
Excellent ending, breath taking and the end draw near.
Matthew Gill
A great conclusion to the dreaming dark saga.
Nicholas Bianchi
Nicholas Bianchi marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Walter
Walter marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Antonio
Antonio is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
  • Marked for Death (Eberron: The Lost Mark, #1)
  • Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1)
  • Dragons: Worlds Afire
  • Heart of Midnight (Ravenloft, #4)
  • Bloodwalk (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #2)
  • Frostfell (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #4)
  • Farthest Reach (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #2)
  • Elminster in Hell (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #4)
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
  • Complete Warrior (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Darkvision (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #3)
  • Player's Handbook II
  • The Alabaster Staff (Forgotten Realms: The Rogues, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Final Sacrifice (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #3)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
  • The Sapphire Crescent (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Agent Provocateur
  • Doctor Who: Through Time and Space (Doctor Who (IDW))
19558
I've been interested in games since I first fell under the sinister influence of the Dungeons & Dragons boxed set, back in sixth grade. Over the last few decades I have managed to turn gaming from a hobby into a career. Here is a list of the highlights of my life as a game designer. If you have any questions, let me know!

From 1994-2002, I fell into the computer games industry. My first job was...more
More about Keith Baker...
LMNO Peas Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron) The City of Towers (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #1) The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #2) The Queen of Stone (Eberron: Thorn of Breland, #1)