Start by marking “Vampire Knight, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Vampire Knight, Vol. 1

Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight #1)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  74,776 Ratings  ·  1,021 Reviews
Yuki Cross has no memory of her past prior to the moment she was saved from a vampire attack ten years ago. She was adopted by the headmaster of Cross Academy, and now works alongside Zero to guard the Academy's secret. Cross Adademy is attended by two groups of students: the Day Class and the Night Class. At twilight, when the students of the Day Class return to their dor ...more
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Knight, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Ann Cassowary The anime only covered the first half of the manga series, so the manga's twice as long in terms of story. In my opinion, the manga is better than the…moreThe anime only covered the first half of the manga series, so the manga's twice as long in terms of story. In my opinion, the manga is better than the anime. It also ties up most of the loose ends posed in the anime. Good luck and I hope you enjoy reading it.(less)

Kat Stark

Type: Manga
Volumes: 19
Chapters: 102
Status: Finished
Genres: Mystery, Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo, Vampire, Supernatural

Yeahh, I reread this series.

Yeahh, don't do that.
Joyzi
Dec 21, 2010 Joyzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suckers of Shoujo
Recommended to Joyzi by: Crunchyroll
Vampire Knight Yaoi Pictures, Images and Photos

Random babbling...

Beautiful love/suspense/horror/action story, lots of plot twists, a very very good vampire story. Very addictive, kick ass action! If you're interested in vampires you'll definitely love it!

I'M TEAM ZERO BTW!!!
Nina ♥
Oct 06, 2012 Nina ♥ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Twilight, Vampire Academy, and love triangles
yukikaname
Who needs Yuki?

Okay, so I watch plenty of anime, but this is actually the first manga I've ever read. I liked it very much, BUT here it comes...some parts really ticked me off, like:

-The lack of action.
-Yuki. She was such a a bit of a goody-two-shoes. Which annoyed the hell out of me.
-The story tended to get a bit melodramatic.
-The mystery parts could've been done so much better.
-The cheesy dialogue.
-Blood drinking being depicted as "erotic." Yeah, try having someone's teeth stuck in your neck
Desiree
Mar 20, 2011 Desiree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers! :)

:Review Updated:

Vampire Knight -
This is the first manga I have read in my entire life.

So this manga's about: A boarding school is divided into two classes, Day Class and Night Class.
Zero and Yuuki are best friends, childhood friends are guardians protect the Night Class' identity: they are actually vampires.
Kaname Kuran is their leader and Yuuki's madly in love with him since he saved her life from a vicious vampire and Yuki thinks he's(Kaname) is the beginning of her life.

Zero is always b
Ronyell
I have been reading manga ever since I was in high school, the first manga I ever read being “Ranma .” Well, just recently, I have stumbled upon another manga series called “Vampire Knight” (not to be confused with Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy series) which is created by Matsuri Hino and it is about how a young high school girl named Yuki realizes about the existence of vampires at the private school, Cross Academy, while attending to her duties as one of the Guardians of the academy. “Vampir ...more
Susan
Nov 30, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Desiree Johnson
Stop me if you've heard this one before...there's a school that has a day school and a night school. The night school students are just a little bit different than everyone else...because they're vampires! Okay, so the general concept has been turning up quite a bit in manga (and likely to turn up even more with Nightschool on its way to us from the lovely author of DramaCon). Still, this particular series seems to have more emotional tension and more engrossing characters than some of the vamp ...more
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Since I'm fairly new to Manga I'm not sure if they're all like this.

The dialogue was awkward and stoic. The characters all fell flat, except for Zero. I think he's the only one I liked.
As for Kaname and Yuuki, GOD! Those two are boring as heck. Every time they have a conversation I can't help but cringe. I'm not really sure where this is going but all the reviews I see are telling me to quit while I'm ahead, so I'm not sure what to do.
inga
This review covers more than the first volume.

A few years back, I was so enamored by this series that I read the first three volumes over and over again.
But as the series progressed, it kinda lost its spark.

(view spoiler)
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
It's so ANNOYING and it DRAGS. It's confusing, more things pop up just to keep the story going, it's long and boring, the girl can't make up her mind, the guy can't decide if he's evil or not, the other guy (who I actually like) should go find someone better, the heroine and her brother can die for all I care. I only want Zero to be alive at the ending. A tragedy sounds GREAT!Anyways, I'll come back in 2013 or 2014 to finish this. It should be done by then. All the people I dislike should be dea ...more
Majanka
Vampire Knight is the manga that actually got me addicted to…manga. And anime. Not only is this a successful, still ongoing manga series in Japan and the rest of the world, it also served as the base for an intriguing anime series existed of two seasons: Vampire Knight and Vampire Knight: Guilty. Each season has thirteen episodes of anime goodness. If you’re a fan of vampires you definitely shouldn’t miss out on this series. Even if you’ve never read manga before or if you’re not generally an an ...more
Sara
I saw this popping up on several lists of "must read manga" so I decided to give it a try.

At first I thought it would be a typical teenage vampire story. In brief, this is the story of an exclusive private school. Normal students attend the day classes, vampires attend the night classes. The day class does not know vampires exist so they don't know the night class (full of gorgeous, hot guys) is all vampires. They only get a glimpse of them at sundown.

Two students from the day class know the sec
Arlene
Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino was great! I’ve definitely found a shojo manga series I want to commit too, and I can’t wait to read the next book! I loved the story line, the art work was amazing, and the ending had me driving to the bookstore to pick up the next installment.

In Vampire Knight we meet two groups of students who attend Cross Academy. There is the Day Class, where Yuki Cross and Kiryu Zero serve has Guardians, and the Night Class that is full of vampires. Yuki was attacked by a vam
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
 photo vk_zps82dfa659.gif

I heard this was a "Twilight" Manga, and in a way it was, but I was really happy that there were tons of differences! At Cross Academy you can find both humans and vampires. The vampires go to class at night and are called the Night Class, however the humans (Day Class) don't know that the Night Class are vampires, they just know that they are extremely pretty.

Yuki Cross who can be seen as the main character was strangely not my favorite - she was a bit irritating. I like the brooding Zero Kiry
Joy
This delightfully trashy manga wallows in all sorts of vampire cliches (see: gorgeous and mysteriously broody vampires, bloodsucking as sexual innuendo). I was spoiled for one plot point before reading this, and I was amused to find it in chapter 2 or 3; normally you'd have to slog through volumes of a series for something so emo-tastic. Seriously, this is perhaps the least subtle work of fiction I have read in ages. I will definitely have to read more of this.
Sesana
So. I don't particularly like love triangles, or vampire romances, or heroines that are supposed to be competent but aren't really. But it's very popular, and the art is incredibly stylish (though I don't really like the way the eyes are drawn) so I gave it a shot. Twice. It isn't badly done, but it just hits too many dislikes for me to get really into it. And after two tries, I think I can leave it be now.
Sydney
Dec 31, 2015 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
4 stars
Vampire Knight is essentially the "original manga" for me. I started reading it years ago and have since lost touch with the story. I watched the entire anime (except for Vampire Knight: Guilty) and absolutely loved it despite every cliché possible: good vs. bad vampires, love triangles, brooding love interests, a girl that is "unimportant" but proves to be the MOST important... Vampire Knight is essentially a grittier Twilight, but without the glittering vampires.

And I love it.

Volume 1 i
Sue Moro
Aug 24, 2014 Sue Moro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arcs, manga
Vampire Knight vol. 1

As the story opens, a young girl named Yuki is attacked by a vampire. Before she is bitten she is saved by another vampire named Kanami Kuran.

Fast forward ten years, and Yuki is a young student at Cross Academy. The student body is divided into a day class, which Yuki attends, and a night class attended by the best looking students. Kanami Is a member of the night class and Yuki has never forgotten how he saved her life that day.

Yuki is a member of the disciplinary committee
Talia
In the end, after I've read all the chapters of Vampire Knight in existence, I can't really tell whether or not I liked it.

On one hand, (view spoiler) And I really did like the idea of the vampires, and the whole world Matsuri Hino built around them.

But with that world, I also kinda feel like she didn't explore it enough. We're informed that Level C's make up the majority of the vampire population, but they're barely in there. So, where a
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Note to self: stop reading books about love triangles.
Whatchyareading
This review is for volumes 1 through 10.

I want to preface this by saying I’m not a big manga reader or anime watcher. I’ve only done both a few times and the majority of it has been concentrated on Fullmetal Alchemist. So when someone recommended Vampire Knight to me I was a little skeptical, especially since the vampire thing has been done a LOT and I’m tired of it. But I decided, why not? My local library carries the series so at least it’ll be free.

Ten volumes and the two seasons of the anime
Mar 28, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Naailah Patel
Nov 27, 2015 Naailah Patel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this to me. The art style was disgusting, the plot was boring and other than Owari no Seraph, I'm not a huge fan of anything with vampires in it.
Bark's Book Nonsense
This was a fun vampiric manga set in a school where there are "day students" and "night students". Yuki is a cute heroine and there is what looks like a love triangle (groan, I know) possibly forming between her, the gorgeous and mysterious night school class president who saved her life years earlier and her tormented friend Zero who is keeping many secrets. I'm rooting for Zero but who knows what will happen? It is in black and white and because several of the characters have very similar feat ...more
Nic
Aug 06, 2010 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: ~Tina~
Shelves: 2010, manga
My first manga and I really enjoyed it. I loved the story and thought the artwork was incredible. The characters were great although I can't decided between Zero and Kaname yet. I'm glad I gave this a try, I will be definitely reading more of this series. So a big thanks to my goodread friend who recommended it!
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Jan 21, 2012 Kat (Lost in Neverland) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Cool manga, I enjoyed reading it. I didn't like Zero though, Kaname was my favorite character. I also thought Yuki was kind of wimpy. She couldn't protect herself at all.
Nurlely
Sep 25, 2013 Nurlely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anime... and this one is a good read. I still consider Skip Beat as my best. No other character can beat Tsuruga Ren and make me waiting each month for a new chapter.
Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This story is much different than I had imagined it would be. There is more drama and less action than I expected in this book, but even so I found myself drawn into the story. So far, it is definitely more character-driven than plot-driven. Zero's secret really threw me for a loop, it seemed to come from out of nowhere, even though it was actually fairly plausible within the context of the story. I found the characterization of vampires in this book to be a bit contrived, since their characteri ...more
Jasmine Kowhai
I started reading this manga almost 2 years ago and have been working my way through it when a new chapter is released, I even watched a bit of the anime and I liked it. One of my friends introduced me to manga and I've been going through phases of reading it on and off for a few years. Vampire Knight was one of the first manga I was introduced to and I really enjoyed it, it's take on vampires was refreshing as the main representation of vampires at that time was the Twilight Saga, and how disap ...more
Negar
Apr 23, 2015 Negar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
انیمه رو تا آخر دیدم - دقیقا نمی دونم چرا =)) - ولی از مانگاها فقط همین یکی رو خوندم.
طراحی هاش اصلا به دلم نشست. اگه به کاور هم نگاه کنین واقعا چیز قشنگی نیست.
داستان هم نمیدونم چه نظری بدم. یه حس خیلی بدی نسبت به کل ماجرا دارم و داستانشم برام اعصاب خورد کن بود.
بازم داستان تغییر یافته ی انیمه یه کم قابل تحمل بود. ولی داستان مانگا؟ وای خدایا :|

بعد از این انیمه دیگه تصمیم گرفتم انیمه ها و مانگاها رو بذارم کنار. نتیجه حاصل شد که واقعا ژآنری نیستن که به درد من بخورن :-"
Michelle  (The Crazy Cat Lady)
My first (re)read of 2015!

I've read this volume twice now (with the eventual intent to reread the first several volumes and finish the volumes I haven't read yet). I can't really say why this series about a teenage girl in love with a vampire intrigues me so much, 1) me being 27-years old now, and 2), with the influx of romances of the past several years featuring regular-girl-dates-vampire, the idea in general kinda annoys me.

But I feel the same way about this series as I do about rewatching
How Much Do You Hate Kaname? 23 131 Dec 17, 2015 03:44PM
Is this Manga worth reading? 18 72 Nov 20, 2015 02:00PM
zero or kaname 77 159 Nov 20, 2015 01:58PM
Any anime 1 5 Nov 20, 2015 01:57PM
Does anyone want to buddy-read this manga series??? 10 11 Sep 29, 2015 06:52PM
Anime Madness: Characters: Vampire Knight 4 11 Oct 19, 2014 02:48PM
Why? 2 26 Sep 20, 2013 05:22PM
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 8 (Fruits Basket, #8)
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 04
  • Black Bird, Vol. 03 (Black Bird, #3)
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 03
  • Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 3 (Rosario+Vampire, #3)
Name in Japanese: 樋野 まつり

Matsuri Hino was born on January 24 in Hokkaido. She was a bookshop keeper who one day decided to become a manga artist, and all of nine months later, in 1995, she published her first manga title, Kono Yume ga Sametara (When This Dream Is Over), in Japan's LaLa DX magazine.
More about Matsuri Hino...

Vampire Knight (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 2 (Vampire Knight, #2)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 3 (Vampire Knight, #3)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 4 (Vampire Knight, #4)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 5 (Vampire Knight, #5)
  • ヴァンパイア騎士 6 (Vampire Knight, #6)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 7 (Vampire Knight, #7)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 8 (Vampire Knight, #8)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 9 (Vampire Knight, #9)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 10 (Vampire Knight, #10)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 11 (Vampire Knight, #11)

“If kids stay up late, it's very bad for their brain development...they said that on TV....You want to become a stupid girl, Yuuki?” 159 likes
“No one can be a replacement for another person. That is why, farewells are always difficult.” 92 likes