Start by marking “Everything Nice” as Want to Read:
Everything Nice

Everything Nice

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  298 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In this smart, sexy, wickedly funny new novel, the acclaimed author of Right Before Your Eyes introduces an unforgettable and irresistibly real heroine: a woman who is forced to reinvent herself— and discovers that the biggest risk is not taking one at all.

Michaela “Mike” Edwards doesn’t do sugar and spice. But when mishandled office politics get her unexpectedly fired, t
Published July 29th 2008 by Bantam Discovery (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Nice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Nice

Solving for Ex by LeighAnn KopansEven When You Lie to Me by Jessica AlcottThe Wednesday Wars by Gary D. SchmidtThe Best School Year Ever by Barbara RobinsonThe Chalk Box Kid by Clyde Robert Bulla
Chalkboard Covers
13th out of 38 books — 7 voters
He Typed. She Typed. by Mark Van WyeChasing Boys by Karen TayleurThe Guy Next Door by Meg CabotPlay It Again, SAHM by Meredith EfkenLove @ First Site by Jane Moore
Desks
20th out of 27 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
Jul 08, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it
Recommended to Laurie by: Metro New York
Welllll, I started off not liking the book so much but had to finish it as part of my duties of Summer Book Club Reader for Metro New York. The main character is a woman named Mike (short for Michaela) who was raised by her father (her mom died when she was four years old) and acts like a man. She treats men the way certain men treat women. She's bossy. She's rude. She's in advertising. And she has a great guy as her best friend who OBVIOUSLY wants something more but she's too blind to see it. T ...more
Sep 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
I liked this better than the other reviewers apparently. I thought this book was really, really well done.

1) Mike Edwards is never de-tomboyed. Unlike many tomboy character romances, she never ends up in lipstick and heels at the end. She just learns how to have adult emotions.

That to me was the best part of it. I also liked how much you really dislike Mike at the beginning. You know why her coworkers hated her and then Shanman sprinkles in bits of Mike's past to make her sympathetic, but not be
Lisa
Feb 19, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
Shanman does a splendid job of making Michaela “Mike” Edwards both likable and unlikable on the same page! Mike is not a tomboy per se; she's just not a girly girl...doesn't hang out in the bathroom and go to hair-braiding parties, etc. Probably because her mom died when she was so little she can't remember her, and her dad just couldn't deal with it, as she is pretty much the embodiment of her mother. She's an all-star marketer, but she doesn't care what anyone thinks...which bites her when the ...more
Trudy
Aug 27, 2014 Trudy rated it liked it
Probably more like 2 1/2 stars, but I am being generous. Please, Goodreads, grant us 1/2 stars...how hard could that be?

This was a basically good story, though rather unrealistic in many details. The heroine is fired from her advertising job, has to live with her father and his fiancée, and, with no experience or credentials, somehow lucks into a job teaching at a charter school...ONE period a day, a class of ELEVEN sixth grade girls. Um...as a retired middle school teacher, this was quite a bit
Lobo
Apr 02, 2015 Lobo rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Annyira régóta vártam már valami igazán jó kis chick-litre, ami kicsit szakít a szabályokkal, de azért mégis fiatal nőknek, nőkről szól anélkül, hogy ismételné az unalmas sablonokat. S íme az Everything niceban pont ez van benne. A helszín New York, de nem a csillogós része, hanem az, hogy igenis élnek ott rendes emberek, a főszereplő szingli, de nem ezen aggódik naphosszat, ugyanis egészen más egzisztenciális problémái vannak. Mike érdekes karakter, eleinte talán unszimpatikus is lehetne, főleg ...more
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
God, I haven't read an american book in like forever! This book was about a girl who acts like a Dude and doesn't have like any girl friends. Her mentor and boss gets fired from the ad agency they work at and she gets fired with him. Because she has been such a bitch all these years and her boss is like a total outcast now, she can't seem to get any work anywhere. Her new step mother gets her a job teaching some like home ec type class at the school she used to work at and she ends up changing i ...more
Gail
Oct 17, 2008 Gail rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but in the end, I didn't very much. When it opens, the heroine is on top of the world, working at an ad agency. Then her boss gets fired, and she's canned too, because nobody likes her. She's terrible at making friends. Turns out she was raised by her widowed father who didn't know how to cope with his own emotions, much less hers, and has turned her into "one of the guys" who doesn't know how to be different. She winds up having to move home, gets a job as a substitu ...more
Dec 26, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a light read
Recommended to Jennifer by: Kelly
Mike Edwards may look like a girl (and like a girl everyone wants to sleep with) but she was raised by her widowed father, a surgeon, to be a tough, no nonsense guy. Actually, it seems a bit like she was raised by wolves--she's intelligent and a highly talented advertising professional but she avoids social niceties such as tact and kindness like the plague.

However, karma bites when Mike loses her job and after many months of unsuccessful job searching (where her past lack of social skills has p
Terri
I love chic lit set in New York that features a protagonist who works on Madison Avenue. I also love chic lit set in New York that features a protagonist who works as a teacher in a private school. So when I came across this book on Amazon, I figured, "What's not to like about a character who lives in New York and is fired from her job as a copywriter and then becomes a teacher?"

There was so many things I didn't like about this book. I don't think Mike could really be such a great copywriter if
Becki
I really, really, really liked this story. It was real. It was tough. It was life.\nThe language (foul) annoyed me a bit as I find it unnecessary. But the story was great.
Linda
Dec 05, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
Found this on our public library's online reviews: MADreads. Fun, read it in an evening. Smart, gorgeous young ad agency star gets fired and falls apart. Moves in with dad who raised her — or rather ignored her; too distraught over wife's death to notice he was raising a child with no compassion or social skills. All that changes when she takes a temp job at a charter school teaching life skills to little girls. Quite amusing and will make you think about and discuss the question of what life sk ...more
Karina
Mar 21, 2009 Karina rated it it was amazing
A great read about a very different female protagonist, one who outwardly seems to have it all, but inwardly cannot cope with any relationship or sharing, and has to learn how to do so before she loses the one friend she can't afford to. Along the way she also learns how to deal with other females and children, and how to reach out to others without thinking less of herself.

A very different kind of chick lit but a very moving and well-written one that I highly recommend.
Natalie
Sep 18, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Natalie by: Krystal
I don't know if this would have attracted my attention right away if I was just browsing around. However, a friend brought it over for me to read and I really enjoyed it.

I like the fact that the "tomboy" chick never really gets feminized, like in so many books. I think the big thing is how her character does change by the end of the book and finally realizes that it's okay even for tomboyish women to have emotions and be more compassionate!
Lisa Dickson
Jun 13, 2016 Lisa Dickson rated it liked it
This packs a lot of emotion, humor, and plot in a small space and all with an overall believable bent. Meet Mike, whose surgeon dad raises her solo from the time she is four, after his wife dies. Missing some of the more traditionally feminine input and guidance, Mike is a 31-year-old barracuda who communicates like a male while looking like a model. Life dumps her on her head and this book is about how she adjusts to that.
Starla
Aug 29, 2010 Starla rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I laughed out loud so many times through this book. I loved how the relationships shifted and changed for all the characters in this book. Each character was believable and so full of life. I felt a little let down with the ending of the book. I don't know why, I just felt like there should have been more said between Gunther and Mike.
But, all-in-all, a great read!!
Bree
Jun 10, 2013 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I actually got emotional reading this one. It was like it was super great writing but I had tears from the conversations in this book. I don't know any New Yorkers but I do know that if you talk to your boss the way Mike did, you wouldn't have a job here in Ohio so that was the only thing I felt a bit crazy about it. The total lack of respect was a push over.
Audry
Jul 01, 2012 Audry added it
Didn't read this book. The author's other book I started, Right Before Your Eyes, was a trashy book. Lots of sex, drinking, and foul words. I looked through this one, and it's more of the same words. Sad. So many better books to read to waste any time on this kind.

I put 'read' on my shelf, because I was not going to read it, nor was I reading it now.
Shawn Mershon
Apr 29, 2010 Shawn Mershon rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Read nearly the whole thing on a flight from the mid-west to the west coast. It was very genuine and struck a chord in me. I found myself crying and laughing out loud (which is kind of awkward in the middle seat of an airplane...)
Steven
Apr 29, 2009 Steven rated it did not like it
Woo Lordy....something stinks. I think it's the plot of this hunk of dung. I can get into chick lit, but this one was just too much to bear.

To be fair, I stopped at 100 pages beccause I was getting ill with boredom.
Abjtrio1
Oct 24, 2008 Abjtrio1 rated it it was ok
This book was alright. I tried it because it was different from my usual reading. It took me 'til I was half way through to really get into it. At that point, I couldn't put it down. I think I would try another book by her.
Lisa
Mar 19, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Even though I found the main character to be highly dis-likeable in many ways, her humor and knowing she ends up teaching 6th grade girls kept me hooked. This character and her emotional evolution is very real.
Jennifer Best
Aug 17, 2009 Jennifer Best rated it liked it
Gosh, on so many levels I could so relate with the main character in this quick, easy, guilty pleasure of a summer read. Sure, it's about a woman and relationships, it's predictable, even. But I enjoyed it.
Carrie
Aug 11, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Cute easy read. The main character being a GIRL named MIKE was sometimes hard on comprehension...lol the story was fun though and i enjoyed the classroom stuff as well as her unconventional family!
Claire
Mar 25, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
Mike is not a likable character. Throughout the whole book I just really disliked her. Until the end. When she did what I wanted her to do halfway through the book, she redeemed herself!
Claire Cheeseman
Apr 27, 2011 Claire Cheeseman rated it liked it
an easy yarn to read, no brainer really but defo a good en for filling a girlie chick flick void - tugs at the heart strings quite nicely and defo keeps you turning the pages!
Cathleen
Dec 04, 2008 Cathleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
An unlikable heroine, an uninspired plot. I kept trying to make myself hang in there until she was hired at the school, but it was too painful. Better books await.
Margali
Aug 18, 2009 Margali rated it liked it
Fun, very light read. I wish the author has spent more time on what Mike did in the classroom, as it was far more interesting than her romantic dramas.
Sol
Nov 27, 2012 Sol rated it really liked it
It was a lot better than I thought it would be! The protagonist is trying to find herself while dealing with her world falling apart, good read.
Oct 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I think this book is meant to be lighthearted and quirky. Honestly, I felt it was a little depressing. A good book, but still slightly depressing.
Daneen
Sep 02, 2008 Daneen rated it liked it
easy read story - sometimes unrealistic but easy to overlook for the storyline. The self eval of the main character was interesting.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #81 Everything Nice 1 1 Aug 27, 2014 04:16PM
  • She Woke Up Married
  • Trashed
  • Blue Remembered Heels (Sepatu Biru Kenangan)
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Lost for Words
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
  • Hex and the Single Girl